TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Training Day

HORSBYT

Afternoon Gentlemen -

So, i've bought my Shelby last week after doing quite a bit of homework and a long time love of Mustangs in general. I'm an owner of a 90 GT convertible 5.0. That car has been the love of my life and where i've spent $$$'s to get it where she is. With the decline in the economy i've seen the value of V8's slippping, but realizing that the muscle car has never been hotter and this MAY be the last time (in most of our lifetimes) we see it this hot. So, naturally I had to jump in and decided to do so with the SGT! I'm not like a lot of you who "ordered" it, tracked it and kept peeking through the blinds for the delivery truck to pull up. Instead, I visited, called, emailed COUNTLESS dealers in So Calif. until I found the one I wanted. Sure, I could have been a little bit choosier with it (like trying to find a lower #) but I bought the one I found and LOVE IT!

I'm hoping some of you who are more knowledgeable can help me out. I'm not a stranger to Mustangs, but may be to Shelby's to some degree in particular. I bought mine because well..... to put it simply, it's BADASS and probably the BEST looking car on the streets right now!

Questions:

1 - In my research I was under the impression that the Vista Blue 08's were the ONLY color for the 2008 year, but i'm seeing Grabber Orange 08's?

2 - I've seen that many of you are "customzing" your SGT to your particular tastes and i'm really quite suprised. I was going to leave mine completely alone thinking it would be more valeuable later on. However, I do want to enjoy it and it is somewhat my daily driver. Along those lines of mod's. Does having a local mod shop (assuming you trust them) somehow screw you on your warranty items, lack of it being "Shelby" after someone else has gone through it, etc?

3 - I thought I read on SAI that there were only 2300 of the 08 Vista Blue's made? That seemed to be an estimate? Do we know the final #? Also, I understand that 70% of those were to be verts?

4 - I've seen alot of discussion on the "inferiority" of the SGT's. Let me just say this. There's no way in HELL the Shelby Cobra can be driven everyday and enjoyed nearly as much as the SGT. The SGT's are by far the most "useable" version that Shelby has put out. They're priced right, sit right (alot lower than the Cobra's). Not for one minute am I going to to hear someone say it's a "budget" Shelby, or some other unknowing comment. These are by far probably the baddest looking and performing Mustangs out there. To me, Rousch and Saleen's have gone a bit "ricer" for my liking. The SGT's are a "pure" muscle car look in my humble opinion.

Sorry, if I got up on my soapbox a bit, but I think all of our SGT's are AWESOME and so good to see that everyone is enjoying them as they do!

I appreciate any answers to my questions if someone knows offhand.

Sounds like you are very happy with your choice! I would say you are in the majority here. Congratulations.

You are correct on your assumptions regarding colors and numbers. There were about 200 Grabber Orange produced. THe ratio of verts's to coupes in Vista Blue is what has been stated also. Of the original 2300 or so 219 GO cars came from that number I believe. The Blue cars began at 220 or so.

As far as personalization, to each their own. I have made many upgrades and improvements and have no fear of the warranty issues. I bought the car to enjoy and drive and that is what I intend to do. As far as future value, I will let my kids fight over that. Depending on what mods, unless you are going into the engine, computer or adding power adders you could potentially have warranty issues. Depends on your dealer in most cases or what a specific issue may be a result of. If a faliure can be attributed to the mod it will not be covered under warranty. One suggestion is wait until it is out of warranty and do whatever you like. It's really is a great car just the way it is.

I know of one member who wants his children and or grandchildren to have to explain why his "old" Shelby GT has so many miles on it. :) I love that approach. He is driving the wheels off of it every chance he gets. Good for him.

Welcome to the SGT family!

Roger

Congratulations on the purchase HORSBYT! I love that name by the way! Yes, 1-219 are Grabber Orange cars, 220 started the Vista Blue cars then there are 100 Black with Red Stripes that were made for the Barrett Jackson Auction for a total of 2300 2008 SGT's...I got lucky and got #235 which was the 16th Blue one built, and I've been VERY happy with mine. Yes, I've made several mods, mostly cosmetic at this time, and I drive the wheels off of mine...Wife and I drove her all the way from Odessa, Texas to Key West, Florida and back this past summer on vacation. Had a BLAST and a LOT of thumbs up from people along the way!

It's your car, keep it original like ILMOR there or mod it up like some of the rest of us have...whatever blows your skirt up! The value of the car will not be seen for many years down the road if at all with the way gasoline is going...these cars may be outlaws one of these days due to their internal combustion engines...oh well, I'll be an outlaw then I guess...

Get on board, join Team Shelby, they send out some nice stuff to you, and have a blast on the board...there are a lot of guys and gals on here that have a great wealth of knowledge stored in their noggins just waiting to share it with someone who will inquire!!!

Early last fall there was a publication that stated of the 2300 Shelby GT's made in 2008, approx. 70 were to be vert's. I wished I would have printed that document or could find it again.

I know today there are fewer vert's and more than 30% coupes. I purchased my 08 SGT thinking that there would be approx. 650 coupes.

Afternoon Gentlemen -

So, i've bought my Shelby last week after doing quite a bit of homework and a long time love of Mustangs in general. I'm an owner of a 90 GT convertible 5.0. That car has been the love of my life and where i've spent $$$'s to get it where she is. With the decline in the economy i've seen the value of V8's slippping, but realizing that the muscle car has never been hotter and this MAY be the last time (in most of our lifetimes) we see it this hot. So, naturally I had to jump in and decided to do so with the SGT! I'm not like a lot of you who "ordered" it, tracked it and kept peeking through the blinds for the delivery truck to pull up. Instead, I visited, called, emailed COUNTLESS dealers in So Calif. until I found the one I wanted. Sure, I could have been a little bit choosier with it (like trying to find a lower #) but I bought the one I found and LOVE IT!

I'm hoping some of you who are more knowledgeable can help me out. I'm not a stranger to Mustangs, but may be to Shelby's to some degree in particular. I bought mine because well..... to put it simply, it's BADASS and probably the BEST looking car on the streets right now!

Questions:

1 - In my research I was under the impression that the Vista Blue 08's were the ONLY color for the 2008 year, but i'm seeing Grabber Orange 08's?

2 - I've seen that many of you are "customzing" your SGT to your particular tastes and i'm really quite suprised. I was going to leave mine completely alone thinking it would be more valeuable later on. However, I do want to enjoy it and it is somewhat my daily driver. Along those lines of mod's. Does having a local mod shop (assuming you trust them) somehow screw you on your warranty items, lack of it being "Shelby" after someone else has gone through it, etc?

3 - I thought I read on SAI that there were only 2300 of the 08 Vista Blue's made? That seemed to be an estimate? Do we know the final #? Also, I understand that 70% of those were to be verts?

4 - I've seen alot of discussion on the "inferiority" of the SGT's. Let me just say this. There's no way in HELL the Shelby Cobra can be driven everyday and enjoyed nearly as much as the SGT. The SGT's are by far the most "useable" version that Shelby has put out. They're priced right, sit right (alot lower than the Cobra's). Not for one minute am I going to to hear someone say it's a "budget" Shelby, or some other unknowing comment. These are by far probably the baddest looking and performing Mustangs out there. To me, Rousch and Saleen's have gone a bit "ricer" for my liking. The SGT's are a "pure" muscle car look in my humble opinion.

Sorry, if I got up on my soapbox a bit, but I think all of our SGT's are AWESOME and so good to see that everyone is enjoying them as they do!

I appreciate any answers to my questions if someone knows offhand.

The '08 GT model year consisted of:

200 Grabber Orange (Southern California dealers)

2000 Vista Blue "regular production"

100 Black with Red Stripe Barret Jackson specials.

CSM numbers assigned in this order. The GOs got 08SGT0001 - 200, Vista Blue 201 - 2200, BJ specials 2201 - 2300.

I have 2229 (5 speed) and 2247 (automatic) both BJ Convertibles.

[i've seen in this topic and elsewhere that the boundary between the GO and Blues (02xx) might be fuzzy. I'm positive that the boundary at 2200-2201 to BJ #1 is fixed - I've seen pictures of the car.

Well thanks alot guys for the welcome and the info. I'll definitely be joining TS soon, i've been waiting to see what the whole group is like. Shelby owners are a whole different breed of horse (I know, bad pun) than just the regular GT crowd. I really like everyone's approach to making their car what they like. I was a little hesitent in that I felt like (at least for me) to be driving something with the Shelby name was sort of like the Holy Grail! At least in my mind it is. Anybody that doesn't know the history of Shelby and the icon it is in American Motorsports doesn't know jack! Thanks for the compliment on HORSBYT! I actually reserved that plate for my 5.0, but since I bought the SGT -- It's going on there! Altough, I like the idea of putting my CSM # on it too..... Still gotta think about it a bit more.

Congratulations on your new Pony.... where in Souther Cali are you at? ...i too had the question bout having the car original for later on value... i added some mod's but kept all the original parts. I put Underdrive pulley, change the gears to 3.90's and tuned it. I still have the stock gears and pulleys. So what ever MOD you do, keep the original parts and restore it later on. The SGT's are the best looking mustangs out there, you should see how many people stare when im driving down the street. A guy driving a new ferrari told me once on a red light... hey thats a nice looking car... i was like wow... enjoy it... cause there is only about 6000 of us that can say.... "we own a Shelby".. .. :)

I'm in Corona, CA. Thanks, ya I modded the heck out of my 5.0 so besides the $$ I COULD put into this thing I am taking my time. I think initially i'm going to do the UDP's, new tune, Steeda Elbow, driveshaft and i'm thinking 3:73's and that should hold me over for awhile. I'd love to do a SC, but man those things are expensive and I just put one on my 5.0 so i'm sure my wife would kill me if I bought TWO SC's in one year!

Congrats, Horsbyt. Glad you took the plunge like we did. I own one of 508 black '07 automatics produced so yes, we are a rare breed. I plan on keeping my exterior as delivered. Why mess with perfection, right? I did add almost all of the billet aluminun under hood goodies Shelby Preformance sells, along with a few interior dress up items. They way they keep coming out with new parts, I doubt I'm finished yet. I saved everything I took off. I guess I could put them back on if I needed to.

I'm not too concerned about the overall value of the car. I know it won't go up for years. I didn't buy it for that. I seem to remember seeing a quote from Mr. Shelby along the lines that if you want to make money, buy mutual funds, not a Shelby! Don't get me wrong, I pamper it and have only put on 2500 miles in the 8 months since I took delivery. It is always garaged and covered. I can only afford one muscle car so my SGT has to be my occasional driver as well as my show car. It works just fine for me.

You'll hear from people who say you have a "baby Shelby" or a Mustang GT with a silver stripe. Just ignore them. We know our SGTs are a whole lot more than that. Keep in mind, your car says "Sheby" on it and always will. Theirs probably doesn't say anything. Granted, in stock form, we won't win any horsepower contests against Cobras or KRs but I knew that going in to the deal. The point is we have an exclusive, limited production car with a legacy and heritage second to none.

Good luck to you...................

You will love this car.

All it takes is a dad & mom to pull up beside you with two boys in back (6 to 8 yrs old). When the light turns green just scratch the tires a little and wait for dad to catch up. The boys will be going nuts over your car. (This happened twice to me yesterday).

BTW: They were already looking at the car before the light turned green.

I get alot of comments about this car. I really get more comments on the what is it verses the other side.

You will love this car.

All it takes is a dad & mom to pull up beside you with two boys in back (6 to 8 yrs old). When the light turns green just scratch the tires a little and wait for dad to catch up. The boys will be going nuts over your car. (This happened twice to me yesterday).

BTW: They were already looking at the car before the light turned green.

I get alot of comments about this car. I really get more comments on the what is it verses the other side.

Welcome to the team and the site. If you had a 07 SGT-California, you'd be 1 of 100!

Enjoy the car and "drive it like you stole it"!

Welcome to the team and the site. If you had a 07 SGT-California, you'd be 1 of 100!

Enjoy the car and "drive it like you stole it"!

Astro:

I am the only one in the Omaha, Nebraska area that I have seen. No one from the club has seen another one yet. There were only three 2008 coupes originally delivered to Nebraska. There were approx. five 2008 verts delivered to NE.

I see one of the verts on the same stretch of road every now and then. So to see one of these cars is rare. There are a few 2007 SGTs running around. I know of four.

Archived