TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New 2nd Generation Flywheel & Nickel hub clutch

Grabber

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they determine mine to be bad, what's up for replacement? Flywheel and damper or the the whole thing including tranny?

The parts that will be replaced are itemized in the TSB. The TSB pdf file is on Post #1. Print it out and make yourself very familiar with it.

The parts that will be replaced are itemized in the TSB. The TSB pdf file is on Post #1. Print it out and make yourself very familiar with it.

I noticed Ford has changed the torque procedure for the flywheel again. We have the three different procedures as follows:

a) 2007 Shop Manual - Tighten the pressure plate bolts in a star pattern - Tighten to 26 Nm (19 lb-ft).

B) Procedure Change to Manual - Tighten to 74 in lbs in a star pattern and then to 80 in-lbs.

c) TSB 08-16-4 - Tighten bolts to 89 lb-in (10 Nm) in a star pattern. Tighten an additional 90 degrees in a

star pattern.

Hey Grabber. I know you already had your transmission replaced. My '08 was made in February and I believe that is has the latest generation transmission 817B TUET. If that's the case will my transmission need the synchros rebuilt and new input shaft or will that part of the TSB be skipped as in your case.

By the way. Thanks for all your hard work and documentation. You da Man!

Hey Grabber. I know you already had your transmission replaced. My '08 was made in February and I believe that is has the latest generation transmission 817B TUET. If that's the case will my transmission need the synchros rebuilt and new input shaft or will that part of the TSB be skipped as in your case.

By the way. Thanks for all your hard work and documentation. You da Man!

My new tranny went in and saw very few miles. I was not having any problems. No syncro's were being bumped. I was babying the car to break the new tranny and clutch in. Then the TSB came out. I was fortunate to have the new flywheel and another clutch put in by my dealer because they felt this would prevent a future call back. Again, my car was not having a problem, but since it just had the new tranny put in, they did the rest of the job. This is a very rare occurance.

My new tranny went in and saw very few miles. I was not having any problems. No syncro's were being bumped. I was babying the car to break the new tranny and clutch in. Then the TSB came out. I was fortunate to have the new flywheel and another clutch put in by my dealer because they felt this would prevent a future call back. Again, my car was not having a problem, but since it just had the new tranny put in, they did the rest of the job. This is a very rare occurance.

That stinks. If they have to rebuild my tranny as opposed to slapping in a new, I'm not happy. With my luck, the job won't be done right, or they'll screw something else up on my car. Never fails. That's why I try my hardest to not let my car fall into anyone elses hands if I can help it. That's when the SH** happens. I have aftermarket pipes on so they'll probably mess something up taking them off

• 4 weeks later...
That stinks. If they have to rebuild my tranny as opposed to slapping in a new, I'm not happy. With my luck, the job won't be done right, or they'll screw something else up on my car. Never fails. That's why I try my hardest to not let my car fall into anyone elses hands if I can help it. That's when the SH** happens. I have aftermarket pipes on so they'll probably mess something up taking them off

A good Master Tech can do the job with out any problems. Make sure you get a Sr. Master Tech.

I'm calling my dealer tomorrow to set up an appointment to have the clutch problem addressed as well as the rear end noise when turning but I have a question about the TSB for the clutch/flywheel. I'm a newb when it comes to the mechanics of this but I see the TSB says problems shifting into 1st or reverse as one of the symptoms. I've noticed very early on that shifting into 1st from 2nd when say rolling to a stop sign, I'm locked out of first till the car slows down to about 5 to 10mph. I felt this was to prevent an accidental shift into 1st when trying to go into 3rd while accelerating causing damage to 1st gear . Is this normal or is it one of the symptoms? Just want to have as much ammo to throw at the dealer but I don't want to complain about something that is normal and look like a fool :headscratch: Thanks.

I'm calling my dealer tomorrow to set up an appointment to have the clutch problem addressed as well as the rear end noise when turning but I have a question about the TSB for the clutch/flywheel. I'm a newb when it comes to the mechanics of this but I see the TSB says problems shifting into 1st or reverse as one of the symptoms. I've noticed very early on that shifting into 1st from 2nd when say rolling to a stop sign, I'm locked out of first till the car slows down to about 5 to 10mph. I felt this was to prevent an accidental shift into 1st when trying to go into 3rd while accelerating causing damage to 1st gear . Is this normal or is it one of the symptoms? Just want to have as much ammo to throw at the dealer but I don't want to complain about something that is normal and look like a fool :headscratch: Thanks.

Down shifting into first is not something that I do when I drive my car except pulling into my driveway, and I am going pretty slow then. About 5 MPH and I have no problems.

Down shifting into first is not something that I do when I drive my car except pulling into my driveway, and I am going pretty slow then. About 5 MPH and I have no problems.

I don't normally downshift into 1st but sometimes in stop and go traffic, I'll be slowing down enough or maybe coming to a stop that I know I'll want to be in first. So pressing the clutch pedal I will instinctively try and put it into 1st and it wont allow it until the car is moving pretty slow. I'll still have the clutch pedal down as I'm just getting ready for the traffic to start moving again. I wouldn't let the clutch out in 1st gear until the car is moving very slow like 5mph but I just wanted to know if it is an intentional design to lock out 1st over a certain speed or it's related to the TSB.

I noticed Ford has changed the torque procedure for the flywheel again. We have the three different procedures as follows:

a) 2007 Shop Manual - Tighten the pressure plate bolts in a star pattern - Tighten to 26 Nm (19 lb-ft).

B) Procedure Change to Manual - Tighten to 74 in lbs in a star pattern and then to 80 in-lbs.

c) TSB 08-16-4 - Tighten bolts to 89 lb-in (10 Nm) in a star pattern. Tighten an additional 90 degrees in a

star pattern.

I focused on this same change and was wondering if this was a mis-print. Inch Lbs over Foot pounds is a big difference.

Better stated, what was once 26 neutonmeters (19 pounds of foot) torqued or force value is now 74 inch pounds of force (6.166 in lbs)?

Is this correct?

Airborne

I focused on this same change and was wondering if this was a mis-print. Inch Lbs over Foot pounds is a big difference.

Better stated, what was once 26 neutonmeters (19 pounds of foot) torqued or force value is now 74 inch pounds of force (6.166 in lbs)?

Is this correct?

Airborne

Is this the doc. you are reading ?

Flywheel_install.pdf

Flywheel_install.pdf

Is this the doc. you are reading ?

Flywheel_install.pdf

No sir, but thanks for the post. I'll have to download that T.O. page later. I'm referring to the actual TSB 08-16-4 posted early where in Step No. 7 states reassemble and torque in "inch" over "foot lbs".

My experience as a Senior MT on Aircraft fighters is when inch pounds values are given, the part being fastened is a precise build line replaceable unit (LRU) and as such utilizing fine threaded fasteners. Wasn't sure if this upgrade force not only a design enhancement, but extreme precision. If so, this mod was designed to last.

Higher torque values usually compensate for design slack as I call it or a component under extraordinary stress (like a wing attached to the fuselage) under G-forces.

In aviation work, we deal in primarily inch pound values because the QA is so high.

Guess what I'm trying to say is, hate to see someone torque in a flywheel in inch pounds, when it should have been foot pounds and watch it fly off.

Ironically, it would actually be a true "FLYWHEEL" if that's the case.

Just wondering.

Airborne

Edited by Airborne4162

A heads up to those thinking they may be OK. I have an 07 built the end of April 07 and had NONE of the symptoms listed in the TSB. I always felt the tranny felt notchy or not smooth and took the car in at about 11,000 miles to have it checked and was told the car shifted fine. I have never had the car to the track and have a 100 mile commute with moderate stop and go. I get into it on occassion but not all the time and have mild mods. Tune, upper and lower pulleys and CAI. I now have about 27,000 miles on it and it's in the shop. Last week I was thinking to myself as I was driving that the car was shifting better! Two days later it was catasphric failure and the car had to be towed to the dealer. When I parked the car it was fine, when I got back in to go home it would not move. The dealer is doing the full TSB. It can happen at any time. Everything is shot.

Same thing with me, only after 3000 miles. Here one minute, totally gone next. I still don't understand how it can go so quickly, although I think Grabber tried to explain it to me.

Same thing with me, only after 3000 miles. Here one minute, totally gone next. I still don't understand how it can go so quickly, although I think Grabber tried to explain it to me.

"Here one minute, totally gone next." makes me wonder if Wall Street designed the clutch? Similar results with my 201K :headscratch:

Brought mine in today for the clutch issue and the low speed rear end howl. They switched me to a different service team that used to be the SVT team when they were an SVT dealer. The team also does all the transmission work. the SM told me they don't hear the hiss when the pedal is pushed down and he said he had two senior techs check it out. Then he said that I have a few more months on the 12k warranty and I said it should be covered under the powertrain warranty and I only have 2K miles on the car. He said if I have the problem they'll determine if the problem was caused by the warped flywheel and not abuse. As far as the low speed howl goes they said they tried the friction modifier but it didn't help. They are going to replace the clutch packs. Was hoping for better results to the problem. Guess I'll have to wait till more symptoms appear.

• 1 month later...

I know I'm new here but, IIRC, the tranny case is a "numbers matching" part on the GT500. As a former Mopar guy, I know from disappointing experience that the difference in value between matching and non-matching cars can be great. Soooo, keeping this case and changing out the internals may not be a bad idea. Just my .02 cents. Good luck.

I know I'm new here but, IIRC, the tranny case is a "numbers matching" part on the GT500. As a former Mopar guy, I know from disappointing experience that the difference in value between matching and non-matching cars can be great. Soooo, keeping this case and changing out the internals may not be a bad idea. Just my .02 cents. Good luck.

True.

Matching numbers mean something to me too.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...ic=34227&hl=

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Grabber, Hello I really enjoy reading all this about the clutch issue. My 2008 GT500 had the Early TSB -AA they did clutch, flywheel and replaced my transmission. I never new that as the car had the TSB at 3 miles right off the truck. My question my car runs awesome but the clutch does have chatter in first 2 outta 5 times. Also I do have that weird hissing noise when cold in reverse and 1 st , its like a PSSSST, PSSST , Does that mean I should take the car back to the dealer and have the -B TSB performed. I only have 550 miles on my car?

thanks Jason I think I dont have the nickel plated flywheel as my TSB was all done in Jan/ Feb 2008

thanks Jason

I can scan my work orders I have and send them to you let me know ? I would appreciate the help! dont want to messup my beautiful GT500

Also they replaced my tranny before I bought it and I was never told. I found out 2 weeks later when i had the Oasis report pulled locally.

I complanined about numbers matching and they told me it doest matter per ford! I was sooo mad. I hope it doesnt screw up my cars value in the future as it was changed right off the truck at 3 miles. So i had no choice until after i found out and I owned the car then. Valley ford Hanford California , THEY SUCK!!!!!!!

ok let me know your thoughts on the TSB should I go in ?

thank you Jason

Jason,

If I can be of some help I will. Let me point out a couple things.

1. The car will hiss as you let the clutch out in first gear and reverse - that's normal.

2. When the car is in nuetral idling and you push the clutch pedal in all the way to the floor and then let it out (still in nuetral) it will let out a short quick hiss sound - that's normal.

3. Hiss sound that is NOT NORMAL. Do this test.

a.With car cold, start it.

b.Leave your door open so you can hear better.

c. Push the clutch pedal all the way down to the floor (leave car in nuetral).

d. With your head leaned over by your open door torwards the floor....LISTEN carefully.

e. If you hear a very slight quiet hiss for a few seconds and then it fades away to nothing - that is NOT normal. (make sure you do this with your clutch pushed in)

4. The clutchs that do not have a nickle hub in the center will allow rust to form on the clutch hub and 26 splines. Engineering has determined that this adds to the clutch drag problem.

5. When the work was done on your car the TSB did not exist. If I were you, I would print it out. also print photos of the new and old flywheel and take it to your dealer and show them the difference. Tell them about the reason the flywheel has been changed and nickle hub clutch. Ask them to replace the clutch and flywheel and do the pilot bearing at the same time.

6. I would not have them touch your new tranny if you have the 7R3Z*7003*AC one already installed and only 500 miles on it. If your gears are not grinding at all...then it's fine.

7. Don't stress out over the numbers matching thing. I have a new tranny in my car and the numbers don't match on it either.

If you have any other questions...let me know.

Edited by Grabber

Grabber , thank you this is the parts listed on my last invoice stamed Jan 21 , 2008

7R3Z-7003-N Transmission

7R3Z-6375-AA FLYWHEEL

F6ZZ-6379-AA BOLT-HEX.HEA

7R3Z-7B546-B DISC ASY-CLU

W712838 BOLT

THIS IS WHAT IS LISTED ON THE CAR BEING DONE AT 3 MILES BEFORE SOLD TO ME DECEMBER 20TH 2008

LET ME KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS GRABBER

THANK YOU JASON

I AM FROM SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA

Grabber , thank you this is the parts listed on my last invoice stamed Jan 21 , 2008

7R3Z-7003-N Transmission

7R3Z-6375-AA FLYWHEEL

F6ZZ-6379-AA BOLT-HEX.HEA

7R3Z-7B546-B DISC ASY-CLU

W712838 BOLT

THIS IS WHAT IS LISTED ON THE CAR BEING DONE AT 3 MILES BEFORE SOLD TO ME DECEMBER 20TH 2008

LET ME KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS GRABBER

THANK YOU JASON

I AM FROM SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA

You have the old flywheel and clutch per those part numbers.

I think they put the old style tranny back in your car too. :cry:

The tranny number 7R3Z*7003*N is the original part number that my 2007 GT500 had in it when it rolled off the assembly line. I waited for a new tranny for 3 months last year. I remember Ford customer service calling me and telling me that they had some new trannys in stock. they gave me the part number and it was 7R3Z*7003*N. I refused to accept that tranny and told them that I would wait for the new tranny 8R3Z*7003*AC.

8 & AC being the key to the new tranny part number.

Here is my new tranny with the new part number:

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts017.jpg

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts016.jpg

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts015.jpg

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts014.jpg

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts013.jpg

If you want to make certian that you have the old style tranny, then you need to check the tremec part number. The old tremec part number is TUET 5800. The new style tranny Tremec part number is TUET 8175 B. There is a tag on your tranny that has the numbers on it. It's hard to read and I have a thread on it's location for you to study. Here is the thread:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...884&hl=TUET

Edited by Grabber

GRABBER, THANK YOU LOOKS LIKE I NEED TO GO TO THE DEALER AND HAVE THEM CHANGED!

CAN YOU GIVE ME A LIST OF THE RIGHT PART NUMBERS I NEED?

I SEE YOU GAVE ME THE TRANNY NEW NUMBER. CAN YOU JUST PUT THEM ON A ITEM LIST IN A POST FOR ME.

THANK YOU MY BROTHER! i AM GOING TO GO TO THE DEALER WITH THESE PART NUMBERS AND HAVE THEM PUT THEM IN

THANK YOU I WAIT FOR THE LIST

: )