TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New 2nd Generation Flywheel & Nickel hub clutch

Grabber

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then....from the passenger side of my car a tech stood up and he had a hammer in one hand, and my old flywheel in his other hand.

He was hiding behind my car making that noise trying to freak Grabber out.

Then they all started laughing. :hysterical:

BOY WAS I RELIEVED. :baby:

Bad Tony took some Pic's of my work today too.

Old Clutch & flywheel. Notice the heat checking with only 1000 miles.

GrabbersTrannyRepair028.jpg

The Tube of Blue Teflon Lube.

GrabbersTrannyRepair038.jpg

My new clutch with some Teflon lube in it.

GrabbersTrannyRepair037.jpg

Applying the lube to the shaft.

GrabbersTrannyRepair040.jpg

The Red boxs that hold all the "special tools".

GrabbersTrannyRepair035.jpg

The new flywheel profile.

GrabbersTrannyRepair016.jpg

The back of the new flywheel. Note the conical dome.

GrabbersTrannyRepair017.jpg

My baby on the operating table. :baby:

GrabbersTrannyRepair044.jpg

Rob, I noticed the original flywheel is cast nodular iron. I'm wondering if the new one is forged steel which I think will conduct and dissipate heat better. Dunno if it is ...just was wondering if there's some way to tell. :shrug: Seems the old one has cooling vents which the new one apparently does not require -- that's what made me think of that.

All those new parts sure look mighty purdy! ;)

Yes Dan the old Flywheel is Nodular iron, and it did not dissapate the heat very well at all. :angry2: That's why they are warping. Did you notice that Valeo is stamped in that existing flywheel. They make the clutch too.

The new flywheel has "Ford" stamped in it, and the steel content has been changed. :)

I am very happy with how it drove home. :shift:

:happy feet: No more warping. No more clutch chatter. :happy feet:

Yes Dan the old Flywheel is Nodular iron, and it did not dissapate the heat very well at all. :angry2: That's why they are warping. Did you notice that Valeo is stamped in that existing flywheel. They make the clutch too.

The new flywheel has "Ford" stamped in it, and the steel content has been changed. :)

I am very happy with how it drove home. :shift:

:happy feet: No more warping. No more clutch chatter. :happy feet:

Glad to see the new parts installed, looks good!

Thanks for the pics Rob! My kit is an and I will be taking my car in next week. Do you know what the differences are on the input shaft? I know this has been a weak link and was wondering if the replacement shaft is stronger?

Thanks for the pics Rob! My kit is an and I will be taking my car in next week. Do you know what the differences are on the input shaft? I know this has been a weak link and was wondering if the replacement shaft is stronger?

I will double check to see if it is stronger, but this is what my Tremec contact has told me.

1. The input shaft is much smoother. Polished is the word he used.

2. The 26 grooves (splines) in the input shaft have now been milled into the shaft a fuzz wider. I'm talking many about micro nano thousandths here. His exact words to me were: " The Pin diameter has been changed to the higher end of the specification".

With these 2 changes in the shaft it makes for a swift clutch disengagement. Combined with the blue teflon lube and the new nickel clutch hub splines makes for smooth shifting.

Click on these pic's to enlarge them to get a much better look at the thicker section on the new flywheel. The conical shape on the 2nd generation flywheel is much different then the 1st generation flywheel. This is where the new 2nd gen. flywheel is getting it's strength to prevent it from warping. It is heavier in weight, but the inertia mass has been engineered in a manner that that there is no change in the inertia rotation compared to the 1st generation flywheel.

th_Flywheelinstallation046.jpg

th_Flywheelinstallation047.jpg

Click on this pic to enlarge the view of the side of the flywheel that out clutch pads ride on. Look at the heat checking marks that are on the surface of the area where the clutch pads ride. This is with only 1000 miles of wear.

th_Flywheelinstallation037.jpg

Edited by Grabber

Grabber

great pictures and as always THANK YOU !!! ..... What i was most impressed with was your rear end ... ( NOT YOUR *SS GRABBER but THE CARS REAR END ! )

I recall when u re painted it and man it really stands out ... great job !

Grabber

great pictures and as always THANK YOU !!! ..... What i was most impressed with was your rear end ... ( NOT YOUR *SS GRABBER but THE CARS REAR END ! )

I recall when u re painted it and man it really stands out ... great job !

Thanks Don.

I like to keep the under side of my car looking good. I put in up on my ramps last night to inspect it and do a wipedown. Today I will Change my oil while shes up on the ramps.

th_Flywheelinstallation096.jpg

th_Flywheelinstallation097.jpg

Edited by Grabber

Can we get photos of the oil change process?

HSURB

It would seem that I should provide the instructions to some of the dealerships since so many members here seem to get botched oil changes with the wrong oil and over filled by 1/2 of a quart. :banghead:

Rob

Thanks for all the great pics and explaining to us all the process and the new parts. I am talking to my dealer that installed my last trans fix, working on them to order the new parts for my car as I have about three thousand miles on the second gen trans. I do have chatter when the car is warmed up and in stop and go traffic. Nice to have friends with a sence of humor!

I'm looking at your thread here and thinking, It is time that you car is finally FIXED!!!. :happy feet:

Rob

Thanks for all the great pics and explaining to us all the process and the new parts. I am talking to my dealer that installed my last trans fix, working on them to order the new parts for my car as I have about three thousand miles on the second gen trans. I do have chatter when the car is warmed up and in stop and go traffic. Nice to have friends with a sence of humor!

I'm looking at your thread here and thinking, It is time that you car is finally FIXED!!!. :happy feet:

Hans,

This was just another little setback. It's now complete. Today I installed a little mod under the hood in celebration. :happy feet:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...ic=32313&hl=

68Fastback,

The difference in weight between the old and new flywheel is negligible -- perhaps 1.5 lb heavier. The inertia is EXACTLY the same.

The flywheel is made out of forged steel (4100 series) which has about 20-30% better heat transfer coefficient as compared to nodular iron.

The input shaft strength is NO different. The "over pin" dimension on the splines has been increased slightly for a better fit with the mating clutch hub. Too small is just as bad as too big. The input shaft is NOT polished. It is broached to 1/10 the average Roughness of the old input shaft.

Hope this helps answer your questions.

68Fastback,

The difference in weight between the old and new flywheel is negligible -- perhaps 1.5 lb heavier. The inertia is EXACTLY the same.

The flywheel is made out of forged steel (4100 series) which has about 20-30% better heat transfer coefficient as compared to nodular iron.

The input shaft strength is NO different. The "over pin" dimension on the splines has been increased slightly for a better fit with the mating clutch hub. Too small is just as bad as too big. The input shaft is NOT polished. It is broached to 1/10 the average Roughness of the old input shaft.

Hope this helps answer your questions.

In this corner we have Dan the Man!!!

And in the corner we have the latest brain wizard GRABBER!!

And their going at it...

Ooh...looks like Grabber just hit Dan w/ an amazing spew of information pulled out of his as..... and Dan is down for the count. :hysterical:

And their going at it...

Ooh...looks like Grabber just hit Dan w/ an amazing spew of information pulled out of his as..... and Dan is down for the count. :hysterical:

:finger: ;-) ...actually I can only take credit for asking if the new one is made of forged steel. Someone else must have asked those other excellent questions ( that I wish I had thought of ;) )

Great info, Rob!!!! ...thanks :happy feet:

Nice write up as usual Rob.

Got almost 17K on my car and still cannot convince my dealer anything is wrong. It still shifts pretty good but I get blocked out of reverse and 1st and sometimes grind going into other gears but I cant get it to do it at the dealership. :banghead:

Soooooo I just keep driving and enjoying it. :lurk:

And their going at it...

:finger:

That info is not pulled out of anyones dung hole. It's spot on.

Thanks Don.

I like to keep the under side of my car looking good. I put in up on my ramps last night to inspect it and do a wipedown. Today I will Change my oil while shes up on the ramps.

th_Flywheelinstallation096.jpg

th_Flywheelinstallation097.jpg

Hey Grabber- I know how meticulous you are but I have a question. In the northwest I know it rains a lot. Do you drive the car in the rain at all?, and if so have you been able to keep the underside clean? During rainy season in South Florida I don't drive much and it drives me crazy. I have 2 Shelby's and oftentimes can not drive either. Really frustrating.

Hey Grabber- I know how meticulous you are but I have a question. In the northwest I know it rains a lot. Do you drive the car in the rain at all?, and if so have you been able to keep the underside clean? During rainy season in South Florida I don't drive much and it drives me crazy. I have 2 Shelby's and oftentimes can not drive either. Really frustrating.

This car is my nice day driver. If it's raining, I don't take it out. I have been caught in a couple rainstorms, and I did find out that the car does not melt. :)

I have now completed my first 100 miles on my new clutch and flywheel.

Impressions:

Clutch pedal is not loose anywhere, even at the top of the pedal. It's firm, but not stiff at all. It feels just right.

I have done the hiss test several times. No hissing in nuetral with the clutch depressed. This is good.

Starting out in first gear with low RPM's....there is no clutch chatter at all. Starting out in 1st gear with mid RPM's feels great too.

The shifting is very good at all RPM's. There is no bumping of the syncros or crunching feel. I can feel the shift go into the gear with a positive engagement. I am trying to explain what the shift feels like, and the best I can do is say that it feels like a silent click when it goes into gear. Like it was meant to be.

UPDATED IMPRESSIONS:

I have been out of town for a week on vacation, so my car has been sitting all week.

I went out to start it in my shop. Rolled both windows down so I could listen to the motor. Turned the key on and she fired right up. Left her in nuetral and listened. No whine and no hiss. Pushed the clutch pedal in and held it. Listened very carefully. No hissing at all. Did it a second time, and still no hissing.

Results: HISS TEST PASSED.

I then took the car out to a Driving Rally event. The driving was on winding twisty roads with alot of shifting. Many hairpin corners, and lots of 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear shifts. The drive was 2 hours long up in the Oregon country back hills. I put a total of 160 miles on the new clutch and flywheel set up today. The performance was superb. The shifting was all smooth. Never bumped any syncros or missed a beat. The temp was 97 here today, so it was nice and hot.

RESULTS: I now have 260 miles on my TSB work and I could not be happier. :)