TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New 2nd Generation Flywheel & Nickel hub clutch

Grabber

I always blip the throttle on downshifts. Match the revs, otherwise you are forcing the clutch to speed the engine up, which puts stress on clutch material.

I only downshift when I need the lower gear. If I am comming to a stop sign, etc... I simply leave it in the gear I am in and when it slows enough to get to about 1500RPM, then I push the clutch pedal in.

Me too, I don't engine brake.......with all the issues this clutch already has I don't need to add to it.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only downshift when I need the lower gear. If I am comming to a stop sign, etc... I simply leave it in the gear I am in and when it slows enough to get to about 1500RPM, then I push the clutch pedal in.

+1

:shift:

• 1 month later...
Welcome Wilmmr!! Grabber will have more precise insight but, unfortunately, I think you missed the new-parts build date by about a week.

One thing you didn't mention is when you're idling in neutral and depress the clutch fully, how long does it take for the slight running-hiss to subside. If within 1-2 seconds it's not hanging up yet yet. More than two seconds and the cluch is dragging and will eventually screw up the tranny synchros.

As soon as you see any symptom(s) you can reliably demonstrate it would be worth geting the TSB scheduled pronto. Realize that the GT500s travel on the lower deck of the transporter because the trans-jocks were smoking the clutches trying to load them up-top and accidentally using thrid-gear in some cases because they don't know from six-speeds -- sad but true. Of course, if you're feeling a bump going into 1st/rev or hard/notchy going in or getting any creep in gear with clutch fully depressed then it's already dragging more seriously. Look for the depressed-clutch hiss as described above -- that's typically the early symptom from what others have reported.

Good luck and have fun! Once the TBS is on you'll be golden.

Dan

Hope you catch it early

I have never had any hissing issues BUT I did experience clutch drag at times (car woul creep forward while in gear and clutch fully depressed)

...........I was taught to perform a heel-&-toe and blip the throttle on more aggressive down-shifting, so as to match the rpm speed of the lower gear being engaged. On more casual stops, say from slower speeds, I simply take the transmission out of gear into neutral, and cruise to a dead-stop. - BORG

This is EXACTLY what I do.

• 11 months later...

Today I arrived at my dealership for my 8:30 appointment to have the new flywheel and clutch and pilot bearing installed on my car. Met with my senior master Tech and looked over everything. This is warranty work per the recent TSB that came out. I have the new 2nd generation Tranny with only 1000 miles on it, so I did not need the new input shaft and syncros. My new tranny is performing great still.

I was pleased to see that the nickel hub clutch is out on the market and included in the TSB. GT500_Clutch_drag_TSB_08_16_04.pdf

The new flywheel is very different from the old nodular steel one. I have some pic's of it and the old one side by side. The new one has a much thicker section hub where the clutch pads grab. You can also see the steel is different. This new one will not warp. A lot of design effort went into this new one. Trust me on that.

New Flywheel:

Flywheelinstallation005.jpg

Flywheelinstallation006.jpg

Flywheelinstallation007.jpg

Flywheelinstallation008.jpg

Flywheelinstallation014.jpg

Flywheelinstallation015.jpg

Flywheelinstallation016.jpg

Flywheelinstallation019.jpg

STATUS REPORT ON MY 2nd Generation Flywheel & Nickel hub clutch

It's almost been 23 months since I had the new flywheel and clutch put in my car, I had 4,553 miles on it when I took it in. I now have 6,896 on it now. So that's 2,343 miles put on the new set up.

It sure does run good. I was out tonight just driving around having fun. Did some spirited driving and some in town slow cruising on the main drag. I was babying the car in stop and go traffic and was noticing how good the clutch works. No chatter even when I let the clutch out at low RPM's.

Alex was telling me that I should get the 2010 clutch put in my car because it is so nice. I see no reason to mess with mine at all. It runs so darn good that there is no reason to mess with it at all.

GT500_Clutch_drag_TSB_08_16_04.pdf

Edited by Grabber

• 1 month later...

Today I arrived at my dealership for my 8:30 appointment to have the new flywheel and clutch and pilot bearing installed on my car. Met with my senior master Tech and looked over everything. This is warranty work per the recent TSB that came out. I have the new 2nd generation Tranny with only 1000 miles on it, so I did not need the new input shaft and syncros. My new tranny is performing great still.

I was pleased to see that the nickel hub clutch is out on the market and included in the TSB. GT500_Clutch_drag_TSB_08_16_04.pdf

The new flywheel is very different from the old nodular steel one. I have some pic's of it and the old one side by side. The new one has a much thicker section hub where the clutch pads grab. You can also see the steel is different. This new one will not warp. A lot of design effort went into this new one. Trust me on that.

New Flywheel:

Today marks 2 years since this work was completed. No problems so far. Love the way the car drives and preforms. happy%20feet.gif

GT500_Clutch_drag_TSB_08_16_04.pdf

• 1 month later...

Today marks 2 years since this work was completed. No problems so far. Love the way the car drives and preforms. happy%20feet.gif

Hi Grabber,

I just got my 09 GT500 back from the dealer for the clutch slippage issue. It was built 8/20/08. They installed the following:

7R3Z 7L596 A Kit - Clutch Repair

9R3Z 6375 B Flywheel Asy.

I noticed that these are not the TBS 10-3-8 parts, but the first TBS issued in August of 2008. Did my dealer install the correct parts? Are these 2010 parts?

If not, do I need to go back with a major attitude problem and direct them to install the newest parts as specified in the most recent TBS?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Abn

Edited by Abn

Hi Grabber,

I just got my 09 GT500 back from the dealer for the clutch slippage issue. It was built 8/20/08. They installed the following:

I noticed that these are not the TBS 10-3-8 parts, but the first TBS issued in August of 2008. Did my dealer install the correct parts? Are these 2010 parts?

If not, do I need to go back with a major attitude problem and direct them to install the newest parts as specified in the most recent TBS?

Thanks.

Abn

Study the attached thread below. It lists the most current TSB that puts the 2010 parts in your car.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/53664-4th-revision-the-new-revised-clutch-tsb-10-3-8/page__view__findpost__p__910167__fromsearch__1

Study the attached thread below. It lists the most current TSB that puts the 2010 parts in your car.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/53664-4th-revision-the-new-revised-clutch-tsb-10-3-8/page__view__findpost__p__910167__fromsearch__1

Thanks,

I had seen the parts list for TSB 10-3-8. Other posts were saying that the first TBS in 8/08 also included 2010 parts. Do you know if that is true? These are the parts my invoice say was installed this week. I can't see how ford could still be installing defective flywheels and clutches for over 2 years after the first issuance of the original TBS.

Thanks,

I had seen the parts list for TSB 10-3-8. Other posts were saying that the first TBS in 8/08 also included 2010 parts. Do you know if that is true? These are the parts my invoice say was installed this week. I can't see how ford could still be installing defective flywheels and clutches for over 2 years after the first issuance of the original TBS.

I can tell you that 2010 parts were NOT beeing installed in the 8/08 TSB. I have posted every single Clutch TSB that has been issued by Ford on the GT500. The 4th revision to the TSB is when they started using the 2010 parts. Old parts exist in Ford parts warehouses all over the world, so if you dealer ordered old parts....he probally got the old parts because they were still in stock.

You need to print the most current TSB that I sent you and ask your dealer why they did not install the most current parts. Unfortunately, they messed up on your repair if in fact they used the old parts.:banghead:

Edited by Grabber

I can tell you that 2010 parts were NOT beeing installed in the 8/08 TSB. I have posted every single Clutch TSB that has been issued by Ford on the GT500. The 4th revision to the TSB is when they started using the 2010 parts. Old parts exist in Ford parts warehouses all over the world, so if you dealer ordered old parts....he probally got the old parts because they were still in stock.

You need to print the most current TSB that I sent you and ask your dealer why they did not install the most current parts. Unfortunately, they messed up on your repair if in fact they used the old parts.:banghead:

The thing is, I actually gave the service manager a copy of TSB 10-3-8 last week. I will definitely have a conversation with him tomorrow morning. I just wonder if they will now order and install the new parts after they installed the old ones.

Thanks for your responses.

Hi Grabber,

Thanks.

Abn

My first TSB had the old flywheel installed in it. Here is my numbers off my invoice for the old flywheel.

Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts084.jpg

It's been a while since I looked at the flywheel numbers, but it appears that you have the same numbers as my car. It's a robust good set up. A race set up. It's stronger than the organic clutch. If you infact have this flywheel.....I would keep it if I was you !!!

I noticed your flywheel ASY has AA after the 6375. Mine is 6375 B. Does that make any difference?

That was from the first TSB. If you look at the numbers posted in my last post....it has the 4100 series steel flywheel. It's a nice set up. You can't get that set up anymore....so it seems that you somehow lucked out.happy%20feet.gif

It's been a while since I looked at the flywheel numbers, but it appears that you have the same numbers as my car. It's a robust good set up. A race set up. It's stronger than the organic clutch. If you infact have this flywheel.....I would keep it if I was you !!!

That's something to consider. Besides a little louder 2nd gear chatter below 30-40 mph, I have no shudder or hiss. The clutch is very light and bites very high. Almost like driving a different car. That's why I am a little confused. The clutch is nothing like my 09 stock clutch. I didn't have the PCM reprogrammed, so my FRPP power upgrade tune is still intact. But, if I should have gotten all new parts, I am stil a little p*ssed off.

Edited by Abn

That's something to consider. Besides a louder 2nd gear chatter, I have no shudder or hiss. I didn't have the PCM reprogrammed, so my FRPP power upgrade tune is still intact. But, if I should have gotten all new parts, I am stil a little p*ssed off.

You got new parts, just not the 2010 parts. The 2010 parts have a organic clutch and it is much more forgiving for people that do not know how to drive this car and it cuts way down on Fords warranty claims. It's not as strong as a set up that is in my car....and now your car. Like I said.....I would leave it alone and be happy that you got it. Besides that.....I would not want my tranny removed again if it did not have to be removed.

Edited by Grabber

You got new parts, just not the 2010 parts. The 2010 parts have a organic clutch and it is much more forgiving for people that do not know how to drive this car and it cuts way down on Fords warranty claims. It's not as strong as a set up that is in my car....and now your car. Like I said.....I would leave it alone and be happy that you got it. Besides that.....I would not want my tranny removed again if it did not have to be removed.

I agree about not wanting the tranny removed again, but I am worried that my clutch problems will occur in another 8000 miles. Wasn't the whole point of the 2010 parts was to avoid the clutch and flywheel problems? You brought up some good points, though. That's why I love these forums. I get more info here than when I call ford svt. So if they are new parts, are they still better than what I had originally, or just replacements?

Edited by Abn

I agree about not wanting the tranny removed again, but I am worried that my clutch problems will occur in another 8000 miles. Wasn't the whole point of the 2010 parts was to avoid the clutch and flywheel problems? You brought up some good points, though. That's why I love these forums. I get more info here than when I call ford svt. So if they are new parts, are they still better than what I had originally, or just replacements?

The source of the problem wasn't the clutch, but the nodular iron flywheel, which potentially warps when heated up. You now have the upgraded steel flywheel, which is not as prone to warping at high-temps.

Edited by 6-Speed

The source of the problem wasn't the clutch, but the nodular iron flywheel, which potentially warps when heated up. You now have the upgraded steel flywheel, which is not as prone to warping at high-temps.

Well, at least that's reassuring. The clutch still feels completely different, so if that is not a 2010 part, I don't know why since my car was a late august 08 build. It's very light. I almost stalled it when I left the dealer until i got used to it.

Yes +1

I know the engineer that designed this 4100 series steel flywheel and met him personally. We talked at length aboout this flywheel. The old nodular iron one did not dissapte the heat well at all, and the slots in it comprimised the structural integrity of the center of it....so they warped when they got hot. This new one......will last a very long life.

Ford did not change to the organic clutch to help us racers....they changed it to save them warranty claims from people that can't seem to get the hang of driving this car right.

Edited by Grabber

Well, at least that's reassuring. The clutch still feels completely different, so if that is not a 2010 part, I don't know why since my car was a late august 08 build. It's very light. I almost stalled it when I left the dealer until i got used to it.

When the clutch starts to go out the pedal gets heavier. The heavier it gets....the closer it is to failing. It feeling lite now is normal !

I know this because I was with a Ford engineer that tested 20 GT500's at the Dearborn event 2 years ago. He explained the heavyness of the failing clutch to me.