TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New 2nd Generation Flywheel & Nickel hub clutch

Grabber

All the part number for the TSB on this problem are in the TSB. Here is the PDF of the TSB.

This TSB will give you the new flywheel, nickle clutch and rebuild your tranny with the revised input shaft. They most likely will not give you a new tranny, but you should try.

GT500_Clutch_drag_TSB_08_16_04.pdf

GT500_Clutch_drag_TSB_08_16_04.pdf

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grabber, its Jason. I had my car out today took the cover off and started her up! I drove the car around for a couple of hours. I first want to tell you I did the clutch depressed in neutral and when you release the clutch coming up the hissing noise is there for like 2 seconds. its like in the middle of the clutch. that was in neutral like you wanted me to and it was there. I also notice something new when in reverse and after driving it a while it had really bad chatter in reverse. It also has it in First gear once in a while. I also notice a clicking noise when i pulled it into the garage. I turned it off and was thinking oh no is it Engine noise. I re-started and the clicking noise went away maybe it the clutch throw out bear or something. when i restarted the engine the second time engine sounded normal and the clicking was gone. I drove her hard today doing some good shifts and stuff so I think its the clutch reacting.

Tell me your thoughts I should take her in correct? :headscratch:

I downloaded the bulletin and have the pictures when I go down to sunnyvale ford

Grabber, its Jason. I had my car out today took the cover off and started her up! I drove the car around for a couple of hours. I first want to tell you I did the clutch depressed in neutral and when you release the clutch coming up the hissing noise is there for like 2 seconds. its like in the middle of the clutch. that was in neutral like you wanted me to and it was there. I also notice something new when in reverse and after driving it a while it had really bad chatter in reverse. It also has it in First gear once in a while. I also notice a clicking noise when i pulled it into the garage. I turned it off and was thinking oh no is it Engine noise. I re-started and the clicking noise went away maybe it the clutch throw out bear or something. when i restarted the engine the second time engine sounded normal and the clicking was gone. I drove her hard today doing some good shifts and stuff so I think its the clutch reacting.

Tell me your thoughts I should take her in correct? :headscratch:

I downloaded the bulletin and have the pictures when I go down to sunnyvale ford

I am going to respond to the question above that I highlighted in Red.

That is the sound that I told you is normal.

Did you do the test I asked you to do ?

So I haven't had any issues with my clutch yet, it's a 2007 with about 4,200 miles.

Should I ask the dealer to perform the TSB? I have a Whipple coming soon, and if anything happens down the line the TSB SHOULD still be applicable, correct?

I'd rather leave it as is, but prevention could be nice as well.

So I haven't had any issues with my clutch yet, it's a 2007 with about 4,200 miles.

Should I ask the dealer to perform the TSB? I have a Whipple coming soon, and if anything happens down the line the TSB SHOULD still be applicable, correct?

I'd rather leave it as is, but prevention could be nice as well.

SVT I have mine in for the TSB didn`t think I had issues bought when the SVT engineer checked my car at the Detroit even`t said I was heading for a failure. I guess he is right eventually they all will fail. Looking at my flywheel & clutch it didn`t look all that bad, some wear on the clutch more than I thought there might be & the flywhheel had one small grove on the outer edge & no indication of heat or warpage. In saying all this I`am sure eventually I would have the problem as there was rust on the spline shaft. If I were you & i would get it done only my, its only a matter of time. 2cts.

• 2 months later...
Ok, so how do I use the clutch correctly?

James

When letting out the clutch give it some gas and don't dittle dally around. :hysterical:

....sorry I could not resist. :doh:

Edited by Grabber

I just turned 1000 miles on my new 4100 series steel flywheel and new nickle hub clutch.

This Ford TSB repair is preforming excellent.

I'm Very happy. :happy feet:

Thank you BW !!! :)

When letting out the clutch give it some gas and don't dittle dally around. :hysterical:

....sorry I could not resist. :doh:

Yeah, don't seem to have a problem going *fast*. What about stop-go-traffic? (think L.A. freeways, joy!) I seem to f*** up a lot and get juddering when I try to move of slowly... She's almost like "WTF are you thinking?". Hopefully just practice.

My car has 5500 miles now and the clutch works great and it shifts great, but in the hiss test reading I've done I don't see where it says anything about hissing with the car in gear and the pedal depressed? I don't remember it before but when you put it in gear there is a definite hissing sound, when you let out on the clutch to take off it gets louder but yet everything functions just fine.

Now I'm no expert on ceramic clutches but I know this sound is because the disk is contacting the flywheel with the clutch disengaged, so that means it has a light drag. is that normal?

My car has 5500 miles now and the clutch works great and it shifts great, but in the hiss test reading I've done I don't see where it says anything about hissing with the car in gear and the pedal depressed? I don't remember it before but when you put it in gear there is a definite hissing sound, when you let out on the clutch to take off it gets louder but yet everything functions just fine.

Now I'm no expert on ceramic clutches but I know this sound is because the disk is contacting the flywheel with the clutch disengaged, so that means it has a light drag. is that normal?

The clutch should not hiss when the pedal is depressed all the way to the floor.

What part of OR are you from ?

Central Oregon, I have a good dealer here but they don't know diddly about this as I don't think they've ever delt with a GT500. if I have a problem they'll do whatever Ford will allow them to do but I need to know when and if it needs replaced.

The hiss is pretty easy to hear when you're in gear with the pedel pushed all the way down to the floor, other than the hiss all is well so I'm not sure if that's enough to get a warranty claim or not .

Central Oregon, I have a good dealer here but they don't know diddly about this as I don't think they've ever delt with a GT500. if I have a problem they'll do whatever Ford will allow them to do but I need to know when and if it needs replaced.

The hiss is pretty easy to hear when you're in gear with the pedel pushed all the way down to the floor, other than the hiss all is well so I'm not sure if that's enough to get a warranty claim or not .

If you hear hissing with the clutch fully depressed, you're going to need the TSB sooner or later - you already have the symptoms of the warped flywheel.

Edited by 6-Speed

It that enough to get Ford to go for it though? if it's up to the dealer I can get them to do it but I'm not sure if I meet the criteria.

I am not sure that I meet it either. 2007, 19000 miles, ford racing shifter. and a couple times have had a reverse and 3rd gear grind or chop going in. It seems a little harder to pull out of gear than it was. I contacted my local Ford dealer and the service manager had no knowledge about the TSB. I explained and he looked it up and said just call me with the miles and he woould order all the parts. Now I am nervous because they have never done it. ( They are a reputable dealer however, at least I have no knowledge to think otherwise ) I asked a couple people about the mechanic that will perform it and they had good things to say about him. BUT a trusted friend and retired Ford Tech ( the best transmission man in central Florida) advised me to go to a dealer who has done several of them.

Any one - Central Florida. Thanks.

Hi Grabber,

My 82000 mile GT500 has been OK (5k miles thus far) since HMB Ford did TSB 08-16-4 but after reading a bunch of information online there seems to be a large group of folks who feel the new clutch disk is still substandard? (I also heard the new GT500's are not using ceramic disks anymore?)

Since you are one of the most knowledgable owners on this forum what is your opinion on this? In other words after getting the TSB done and having the three new sets of gears replaced in the transmission and the new flywheel would it be worth paying the extra $ to have have a bigger/better clutch plate put in while all the other parts are still new.

Thanks,

Mark / MSB Mustang

(PS - Still job hunting!)

Hi Grabber,

My 82000 mile GT500 has been OK (5k miles thus far) since HMB Ford did TSB 08-16-4 but after reading a bunch of information online there seems to be a large group of folks who feel the new clutch disk is still substandard? (I also heard the new GT500's are not using ceramic disks anymore?)

Since you are one of the most knowledgable owners on this forum what is your opinion on this? In other words after getting the TSB done and having the three new sets of gears replaced in the transmission and the new flywheel would it be worth paying the extra $ to have have a bigger/better clutch plate put in while all the other parts are still new.

Thanks,

Mark / MSB Mustang

(PS - Still job hunting!)

Mark,

The factory set up will last you along time. Run it until you need a new clutch. That could be 20 or 40 thousand miles from now. Then upgrade if you want. Our clutch is stronger than the new organic clutch and the reason they changed it is because lots of people seem to have trouble driving this car and it will save Ford on warranty issues. The organic clutch is very forgiving in that aspect.

Grabber is the mainstay of this site however on the tsb issue it is Grabbers way or the highway- lots of problems with the ceramic clutch system related to the flywheel and tranny- if you were lucky enough to get a new tranny it helped a bunch- if you drive hard or drag race or even drive in stop and go traffic you will likely have problems with the ceramic clutch. It is grabby for a lot of people and not always very user friendly- to put down the new organic clutch which is larger is not correct at this time as Ford did increase horsepower and along with that they dumped the ceramic clutch- let some time go by before you trash the new system- the ceramic clutch has been out since the 07s and still manages to take up 10 percent of the postings. Also there well may be a better after market system out there once the cars are out of warranty and new feedback comes in. In my estimation the flywheel clutch tranny issues 07- 09 are the most discouraging part of the car. Also the cost of the clutch disc and pressure plate is over 2000.00 dollars cost at ford- that is a lot of money to throw at a design flaw. I run an organic clutch on a 1966 chevy 11 that runs in the 12s and the whole clutch system - for a racing style clutch is 345.00. Quite frankly the gt 500 has more go than anyone in the Ford factory can figure out when it comes to keeping the clutch alive. Its great to have a neat car with tons of power but once you figure how to get the power to the ground how do you keep that blasted clutch alive?

I by no means am trashing the organic clutch. I'm just stating that our ceramic clutch will handle more torque and power. I'm stating that the organic clutch is more forgiving to drive.

It's not my way or the highway by any means.

I by no means am trashing the organic clutch. I'm just stating that our ceramic clutch will handle more torque and power. I'm stating that the organic clutch is more forgiving to drive.

It's not my way or the highway by any means.

So answer me this Grabber- do you feel that the organic clutch will have more or less issues than the ceramic- now please weed out that all depends- With the same driving habbits the 07s- 09s had and taking it as an average how do you think it will compare- I ask you this out of respect and the fact that you always have a good gut feeling for our cars. Your way or the highway is a little to strong so I wish to back that off and say sorry ol buddy.

So answer me this Grabber- do you feel that the organic clutch will have more or less issues than the ceramic- now please weed out that all depends- With the same driving habbits the 07s- 09s had and taking it as an average how do you think it will compare- I ask you this out of respect and the fact that you always have a good gut feeling for our cars. Your way or the highway is a little to strong so I wish to back that off and say sorry ol buddy.

No problem. :)

I spent a great deal of time talking to some Ford folks about this. This is what I learned and what I was told. Keep in mind I'm just passing on what I was told, so don't shoot the messenger.

This car is a high performance car and it seems that alot of people purchased this car and have never owned a high performance car with this type of clutch. Many of the people that purchased this car do not know how to drive it correctly. AGAIN...REMEMBER THIS IS WHAT I WAS TOLD. I'm not telling you that you personally do not know how to drive....but many are having problems with the short engagement of this clutch. I have also been told that alot of people keep there foot ever so slightly on the clutch pedal while they are driving and this trashs the clutch after a few months of driving. Also some people need to put their seat forward another inch so when they depress the clutch pedal....they are pushing it all the way in. This will toast a clutch quickly too. Many people just do not know how to drive this car and that is a plain and simple fact.

Personally I think that the organic clutch will have less issues than the current clutch and save Ford from warranty issues that are caused by people not using the clutch properly.

Rob maybe this has been asked already but how did you get Ford to do the TSB at only 1000 miles? Were you showing symptoms that bad? The reason I ask is that no dealer around here will touch it without symptoms.

Edited by mullens

Rob maybe this has been asked already but how did you get Ford to do the TSB at only 1000 miles? Were you showing symptoms that bad? The reason I ask is that no dealer around here will touch it without symptoms.

I have 5,700 miles on my car now. If I remember correctly....I had about 4,600 miles on my car when they did the TSB. My dealer was great to work with and last winter it was easier to get approval than it is now.

I was just stating that I now have 1000 miles on the TSB and no problemos.

Edited by Grabber

No problem. :)

I spent a great deal of time talking to some Ford folks about this. This is what I learned and what I was told. Keep in mind I'm just passing on what I was told, so don't shoot the messenger.

This car is a high performance car and it seems that alot of people purchased this car and have never owned a high performance car with this type of clutch. Many of the people that purchased this car do not know how to drive it correctly. AGAIN...REMEMBER THIS IS WHAT I WAS TOLD. I'm not telling you that you personally do not know how to drive....but many are having problems with the short engagement of this clutch. I have also been told that alot of people keep there foot ever so slightly on the clutch pedal while they are driving and this trashs the clutch after a few months of driving. Also some people need to put their seat forward another inch so when they depress the clutch pedal....they are pushing it all the way in. This will toast a clutch quickly too. Many people just do not know how to drive this car and that is a plain and simple fact.

Personally I think that the organic clutch will have less issues than the current clutch and save Ford from warranty issues that are caused by people not using the clutch properly.

So Rob....Here is my $5000 question I ask (and I highly regard your opinion)...

I know how to drive this clutch and never slip, never rest my foot, and do sit far enough in that I fully depress the clutch at gear changes.

My car was a December 2007 build, so I believe it has the revised input shaft and lube, but original flywheel.

Drumroll.............

With all that said, will my clutch ever develop TSB issues, or will it last to full life (whatever that means...)????

Rob- I understand what you are saying but was your clutch and tranny having poblems or did you just get the TSB done as a preventative thing?

No.

I had the very light hiss for 5 seconds after the clutch was pressed in. This means that my syncros were still loaded with engine torque when I shifted between gears and that's why my shifts were notchy.

Rob confusions sets in- depending on the type of driving we are doing- regular day to day or agreesive competiton driving how can you always avoid keeping the clutch to the floor- especially on an agessive hard shift where you are hands on the shifter and foot ready to pounce on the clutch- sometimes I hit the floor and sometimes not- the sucess of the shift is how coridinated the foot and the hand work with the brain. Hitting the floor with the clutch at the proper timing should not be a clutch killer- where has my thinking gone wrong- hey the huskies just won the womans softball national championships- how about them dawgs- headed back to Washington but I leave the 500 in Tucson. Also in street driving the same thing happens sometimes it is to the floor and sometimes not- I had to really think about your shift comment as it is a natural coridinated movement that I have done on stick shift cars for years. Can you explain not pushing it to the floor.

Ford has told me that some of the people driving there GT500's have the seat too far back and there legs are not long enough to push the pedal all the way into the floor during a shift. When the person adjusts the seat to the correct distance....the problem was solved.

....again I'm just passing on what I have been told.

PS

My car is so different with the stage II pulley set up and KR mufflers and H-pipe that I just love driving it even more now than when I bought it. My personal GT500 excitement has gone up several notchs. What an awesome car to drive. :shift:

:)

th_Apr162009-VID00002.jpg

Edited by Grabber