TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Helmutts?

APPLESREDGT500

:devil: (Hell) :dog: (Mutt) They didn't wear helmets on the Bull Run from Montreal to Key West 3000mi. so why would we wear them for a 350mi. course? Where is best place to order some that don't block side vision? In one of the updates it says "Driving helmets will be required for any track events." Is that just for Drag racing and cone racing, or does it include wearing the helmets for the Bull Run? I know they say they have a limited number and suggest to bring them.

I really don't want to wear a mutt from hell on my head :hysterical:

:devil: (Hell) :dog: (Mutt) They didn't wear helmets on the Bull Run from Montreal to Key West 3000mi. so why would we wear them for a 350mi. course? Where is best place to order some that don't block side vision? In one of the updates it says "Driving helmets will be required for any track events." Is that just for Drag racing and cone racing, or does it include wearing the helmets for the Bull Run? I know they say they have a limited number and suggest to bring them.

I really don't want to wear a mutt from hell on my head :hysterical:

The Bullrun is on public, open roads so it'll have to be at legal highway speeds - which means you shouldn't need a helmet for that. For insurance reasons they'll probably mandate that helmets are worn during the closed course events (drag racing, road course, etc). Samantha's last update doesn't say anything about the helmet's rating, but I'm guessing you'll need a SA2005 rated helmet for the weekend (not a motorcycle helmet). At the least, if you're going to buy a helmet you should get a SA rated one so you'll be able to use it at other events. You can order a helmet from Saferacer.com or you can search this forum for the other helmet specific topics to get other suggestions. For sizing, I'd suggest going to a motorcycle dealership and trying their helmets on. Those helmets don't have the rating you'll need but they'll at least give you an idea on what size you need to order. HJC Helmets has a pretty good walkthrough on sizing a helmet if you've never done it before.

Matt

Im buying helmets from helmetcity.com I think.

Hey Oilbleak- my understanding is the bullrun will not be legal speeds...The convoy from LA to Vegas was doing 120! And this is the middle of nowhere- and I remember soemthing Sharon said as the expense is so high because they close the roads for this...Did I misread that?

Hey Oilbleak- my understanding is the bullrun will not be legal speeds...The convoy from LA to Vegas was doing 120! And this is the middle of nowhere- and I remember soemthing Sharon said as the expense is so high because they close the roads for this...Did I misread that?

I think what Sharon was talking about is the 12 mile road course in/through/around Terlingua. It would be extremely more difficult and expensive to close down 350 miles of public roads instead of just 12. I know that the big bullrun from Canada to the Keys was supposed to be at legal speeds, at least that's what Bullrun told the drivers. If the drivers wanted to go a little faster than Bullrun couldn't be held accountable - they had numerous speeding tickets and a few arrests. Of course, I be wrong in all of this since I'm not doing any of the planning.

Matt

un huh :)

ticket_c_small.jpg

ticket_c_small.jpg

I would be surprised if we needed helmets on the Bullrun itself. For the drags and 12 mile road course sure, but not for 350 miles. We'll look kinda funny pulling up to a gas station with helmets on. Might as well put signs on our cars that say "Pull me over!"

I guess this will be another bit of :spend: .I still did not tell my wife about the Shelby luggage I want to order, now helmets, I still need(want) a white ball w/chrome stick for my new FRPP shifter......I know there is something else....what dear? Package, OH, I ordered that last Christmas....or for my Anniversary.....ummm...Fathers Day present, don't you remember? :busted::spend::spend::ohsnap: :bag: Helmets...2X whatever they cost since I will have to buy hers too, oh well. I honestly did not think about needing these when I was paying for the trip, I figured in fuel, food, a few stops on the way down and back up, misc. for during the event.. wife will :finger: , but I can take it. I can hear it now, :rant: WHY DO WE NEED HELMETS? WHY DID YOU NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS? or, :rant2: YOU DID KNOW, just thought you would NOT mention that , RIGHT? :fan: :bag: I have to chuckle about this, I'm just thinking of our conversation after I tell her about this. Just the Helmets....

I guess this will be another bit of :spend: .I still did not tell my wife about the Shelby luggage I want to order, now helmets, I still need(want) a white ball w/chrome stick for my new FRPP shifter......I know there is something else....what dear? Package, OH, I ordered that last Christmas....or for my Anniversary.....ummm...Fathers Day present, don't you remember? :busted::spend::spend::ohsnap: :bag: Helmets...2X whatever they cost since I will have to buy hers too, oh well. I honestly did not think about needing these when I was paying for the trip, I figured in fuel, food, a few stops on the way down and back up, misc. for during the event.. wife will :finger: , but I can take it. I can hear it now, :rant: WHY DO WE NEED HELMETS? WHY DID YOU NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS? or, :rant2: YOU DID KNOW, just thought you would NOT mention that , RIGHT? :fan: :bag: I have to chuckle about this, I'm just thinking of our conversation after I tell her about this. Just the Helmets....

Assuming we need SA2005 certified helmets (and even if we don't for this, you will for any actual track sessions), you can get an open faced helmet on Saferacer.com for $150. That helmet is on closeout but they have one for $20 more if you can't buy that one in your size(s).

Matt

Assuming we need SA2005 certified helmets (and even if we don't for this, you will for any actual track sessions), you can get an open faced helmet on Saferacer.com for $150. That helmet is on closeout but they have one for $20 more if you can't buy that one in your size(s).

Matt

Yes, I have checked a few sites and figured I will spend about $120.-$160. so for two $240.-$320. Thanks for the info. Are the SA rated used on most tracks? Whats an M rating? Is it related to heat rating, durability, or both? I have a bike too and already know you can't use a bike helmet. One would think a bike helmet would be made safer due to not having anything else to protect you hitting your head, so they would make them more durable, right? Well at least with a car you have the car body keeping you from hitting your head on the pavement. I know in a reck you may get whiplash side to side or back to front in a car, but with a seatbelt you generally will not hit your head as hard as if you flip a bike. I will have to call Samantha, :rolleyes: since she only lives on the other side of town locally and ask her to give me the DOT requirement for the helmets.

Yes, I have checked a few sites and figured I will spend about $120.-$160. so for two $240.-$320. Thanks for the info. Are the SA rated used on most tracks? Whats an M rating? Is it related to heat rating, durability, or both? I have a bike too and already know you can't use a bike helmet. One would think a bike helmet would be made safer due to not having anything else to protect you hitting your head, so they would make them more durable, right? Well at least with a car you have the car body keeping you from hitting your head on the pavement. I know in a reck you may get whiplash side to side or back to front in a car, but with a seatbelt you generally will not hit your head as hard as if you flip a bike. I will have to call Samantha, :rolleyes: since she only lives on the other side of town locally and ask her to give me the DOT requirement for the helmets.

The M rating stands for Motorcycle and those aren't allowed on most track events that I've heard of. The main difference is that the SA helmets have better fire protection (it's easier to be caught in a burning car than it is a burning bike). The 2005 rating is the year those standards were published. You might be able to find a few SA2000 helmets on clearance, but the SA ratings are only good for 10 years so you'd have to buy another helmet in 2010 (instead of 2015 if you went with a SA2005). I know that all SCCA and SVT events require a SA rated helmet, and I think it's mainly for the fire protection. I even think that you need a SA rated helmet to run on Hallet during Mid-America if you ever go to that.

The only reason I know all of this is that we had this discussion before the Lone Star Roundup back in March. You can probably find it if you read through those topics (SVTOA Lone Star Round Up. Dell Hughes with the Oklahoma chapter of the SVTOA (he's dellcobra on here) can probably do a better job at explaining all of the differences between a M and SA rated helmets.

Matt

Archived