TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My 08 is now right hand drive!

Venix

As I'm in Australia, where we drive on the right side of the road, my GT500 had to be converted to right hand drive in order to be legal. Aside from this obvious change a number of other changes were also required. Can you spot them?

I've also taken the opportunity during this work to get a bit extra done: replaced the stock wheels with Alcoa's, had the windows tinted, an invisible car bra installed, lowering, and install of an adjustable panhard.

The conversion was done by leading Australian convertor, Mustang Motorsport.

IMG_13.jpg

IMG_16.jpg

IMG_14.jpg

IMG_15.jpg

Spooky. I'm sure that if an Australian GT500 and a North American GT500 were involved in a head on collision there would be some kind of black hole created and the entire planet would split in half.

Subtle difference: Your mirror adjuster is on the wrong side.

Are the major controls - accelerator pedal/brake/clutch opposite too?

This must be some mechanical nightmare. Reworking something like this has to be a parts conversion and labor intensive project.

The pedals and major controls stay the same.

Craig Dean does the conversions at Mustang Motorsport Australia, www.mustangmotorsport.com.au

He does the best conversions in Australia. Im biased though because Craig is converting my Super Snake as well haha.

Costs for local cars can be found on Craigs website. Not cheap is the answer.

But for those of us with Shelby's in Australia... Its worth it.

Spooky. I'm sure that if an Australian GT500 and a North American GT500 were involved in a head on collision there would be some kind of black hole created and the entire planet would split in half.

Proton / Anti-Proton collision results in annihilation of all particles....

Are the major controls - accelerator pedal/brake/clutch opposite too?

A friend of mine lives in Melbourne. The pedals are not reversed. Can you imagine shifting with your left hand and clutching with your left foot at the same time. That must take some sort of weird balancing act....

Doesn't look hard. :idea: The mustang console looks rather simple compare to some cars. Just unplug left console part "A", Unplug right console part "C", Plug Part "A" in to "C" and Plug part "C" in "A". Leave center console part "B" untouched. Simple. :hysterical2:

Little bit of a reach on the hand brake and the hood release, but you have one special GT500. Thanks for sharing....

I'll try to answer as many of your questions in one hit.

The color scheme of my car is Ebony w/Alloy. The subtleness of the stripes is just what I was wanting as I figured the car would attract enough attention here without the need for a more bold color combination :)

Yes, that is an indicator underneath the Cobra badge on the side. It is required as part of Australian law, along with the amber indicators at the rear (see pic below). However the change in indicator color at the front from amber to clear was a cosmetic choice.

Jason, I'm waiting on the compliance to come through. I was hoping that would happen this week but unfortunately the wait continues... Now I'm hoping for next week.

The pedals aren't reversed. The entire transmission setup is how all manual cars are here so for us it feels completely normal. All I can add is just as well our hire cars are all automatic, for our northern cousins :lol:

The drivers seat is electric - that's one of the many things that is changed over in the conversion. The entire process is a LOT of work which takes approximately 3 weeks to do.

CH53, I agree with you, I do need a shorty antenna.

NCStang, thanks for the compliment :)

Page, for the price of the conversion there are LOTS of brand new cars you could buy instead. I could almost buy another GT500 in the US!

Thanks Grabber :) I'm not left handed, but as this is how all our cars are, it feels completely natural. I can't imagine shifting with my right hand!

Thanks for the compliment, LSR!

twobj, you think too much :hysterical:

Berg, good spotting on the hood release and hand brake. They remain unchanged.

cluscher, I'm not sure of the history around why the decision to drive on the left side of the road. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact we were discovered/settled by the Brits.

Another thing that's different to stock, is the reflectors on the sides of the rear bumper have been removed. See pic below.

IMG_12.jpg

Your conversion looks great. I am having my red 2008 GT500 converted to right hand drive at this moment here in New Zealand. I drove it 1000 miles still in left hand drive and it felt real odd shifting the gears using the right hand. I got use to it though. The conversion includes a swap over of all the dash, switches, electrics, electric seats, side mirrors, battery, power booster and of course the steering rack. I have a 06 GT convert which was converted as well and it drives extremely well. I also have a 1967 Fastback GT390 which is left hand drive and that will always be kept that way which is permited by law in NZ for cars older than 20 years. Cannot convert a true classic like the 67. Unfortunately like Australia we in New Zealand will always be driving on the left side of the road.

Welcome to the board Ken.

Its good to have more team shelby members downunder.

Cheers Bro.

Its good to see you have the fastest colour !!!!! sorry amanda, you get the points for the stealthiest colour hahaha

Thanks for the welcome Mate!!!!!

Ken

Your conversion looks great. I am having my red 2008 GT500 converted to right hand drive at this moment here in New Zealand. I drove it 1000 miles still in left hand drive and it felt real odd shifting the gears using the right hand. I got use to it though. The conversion includes a swap over of all the dash, switches, electrics, electric seats, side mirrors, battery, power booster and of course the steering rack. I have a 06 GT convert which was converted as well and it drives extremely well. I also have a 1967 Fastback GT390 which is left hand drive and that will always be kept that way which is permited by law in NZ for cars older than 20 years. Cannot convert a true classic like the 67. Unfortunately like Australia we in New Zealand will always be driving on the left side of the road.

Hey there,

Okay - you mentioned New Zealand. Will you be watching any of the Targa this year? :) My understanding is that Steve will be driving the Stillen Ford GT in the event this year :) HOPEFULLY its televised - since there is no way I will ever get to go see it in person :)

Page

Archived