TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Panhard - Spherical or Urethane?

Setting in motion a plan to lower the GT500. I have decided on the FRPP suspension kit. Since the kit does not make provisions for the offset the rear end will have I am looking to install a panhard bar at the same time. So the question is:

What is the difference in spherical joint or the ones using a urethane bushing?

Looks to me sperical would be the way to go because you are isolating movement versus the potential movement inside a bushing. What is the downside? I'm assuming a harsher more rigid ride but that's just my guess.....

Thanks, Kieffer

post-21892-1218127437.jpg

Setting in motion a plan to lower the GT500. I have decided on the FRPP suspension kit. Since the kit does not make provisions for the offset the rear end will have I am looking to install a panhard bar at the same time. So the question is:

What is the difference in spherical joint or the ones using a urethane bushing?

Looks to me sperical would be the way to go because you are isolating movement versus the potential movement inside a bushing. What is the downside? I'm assuming a harsher more rigid ride but that's just my guess.....

Thanks, Kieffer

Noise, vibration and harshness with the spherical joints :) Urethane is a good choice for a street car that you want to enjoy.

Also, have you considered a Watts Link rather than the panhard bar? Most who have tried both seem to prefer the Watts Link. Just a suggestion.

Jim

I have been reading about the Watts link and understand how it works and the benifits. After building many cars and trucks to the absolute limit as I now close in on 40 I am starting to look at what I will really do with the car. Track days? Love to but probably never happen. Drag race? Maybe go to the strip with some friends but it would be rare. I am realistic with what I am going to do with the car. It's a garage queen that I drive on pretty weekend days to get a much needed dose of horsepower.

The direction I'm taking with this car is FRPP parts all the way. I feel the recentering of the rear axle is something that should have been adressed but was'nt. With just the FRPP parts the car will deliver way more than I'm going to use. I'll try to resist the urge to build the baddest race ready car around because I know I won't use it that way any more.

I love this car! :happy feet:

I admire, truly, your ability to keep yourself from modifying the car, particularly given your personal experience with high performance cars. The car you have is something, for sure, even without modifications. The idea of lowering it is a natural. One of the things that drew me to the SGT was the fact that it was already lowered. The GT500s look great when they are closer to the ground. Good luck with it.

Jim

Mine's lowered, and I installed BMR's adjustable panhard bar afterwards because I got MT DR's in 305/45/18 which required centering, (I have 1/8" between the tire and fender plumb line). I don't want to road race after seeing a guy roll his brand new GT500 on the track. I'll stick with straight lines and clover leafs, and the panhard does just fine for that in the South. Up North? Not so much. I'd invest in the Watt's Link for the rougher roads.

I don't want to road race after seeing a guy roll his brand new GT500 on the track.

Yeah, but I bet his was not lowered like yours. ;) Rolling your car would tend to ruin your day.

Jim

My car is in the shop now having the roush adjustable panhard bar and the roush wheel hop reduction kit installed, I've had the frpp handling kit installled on the car for awhile now and its a good choice.

Hey John, you will love the Roush Upper Control Arm Kit you get.

With that installed, I can destroy my tires, power shift through 3rd gear without any banging or hopping!!!!

Please let me know what you think about the Roush Adj. Panhard as the rod ends made me worry about ride harshness.

I may switch to the Roush Panhard if you like yours and performs great. As you may or may not now, I am not satisfied with my Saleen Watts because it does not center the rear which will be an issue with rubbing if I max out my wheel/tire to say a 20" x 10" with 305/30 meats.

Anywho I could not thank you enough for recommending Imperial Ford, they are crazy particular to deatail and go out of there way to help.

They charged me nothing to fix a sound I was having which we spoke about and you may get some day as well as it is an inherent design flaw with the FRPP rear Sway bar.

Give me a call or PM me if you don't have my number anymore, I'll explain, it is a simple fix if you do get any noises back there.

I would love to compare cars, you can take mine for a spin and maybe I could do the same, I am really curious if there is any noticeable difference. Everyone on here rants and raves about the Watts link while I am not completey sold on it, not for the steep price you pay vs a Panhard like yours.

Talk to you later!

Charlie

I may switch to the Roush Panhard if you like yours and performs great. As you may or may not now, I am not satisfied with my Saleen Watts because it does not center the rear which will be an issue with rubbing if I max out my wheel/tire to say a 20" x 10" with 305/30 meats.

Hey there,

If you swap out the Watts - I would be interested to hear your thougts/comparisons of the two suspension systems. Have heard of many people going from the panhard to a Watts, but never the other way around :)

Keep us posted :)

Chuck, I get my car back tomorrow as they are also fixing that small dent I put it in by dropping my dogs crate on it :banghead: As usual Jason took care of me with the panhard and roush kit. If we don't go to the Cape this weekend I'll give you a call.

I've been running heim joint racing type panhard for about four to five months now. I've never notice any vibration at all or harness in ride, and only a very slight increase in noise is all. But the handling of the car is night and day. It's one part were i feel like i got my moneys worth. When i see comments like "They cause noise harness and vibration" I know at that point that person has never run one. But hay this is the net right. So you can say what ever you want. Don't go and spend a grand on something just because you here I HAVE IT AND LOVE IT, when you can spend 120 bucks and get the same results. Look at any of Fords racs cars and see what they run. Or go and watch some road racing and see what they run. Then decide. One place you don't want heims is LCA's. It will drive like a race car and Handle awesome, but they do make a bunch of noise. Not true with my panhard bar. Nether one produced vibration or harness. After trying just about every part made for our Mustang. I'd say one of the very best mods money can buy for your suspension is coilover shocks. You will be amazed at how good your car drives and handles. That's why all of the fastest mustangs are running them. Spend your money wisely and you'll be glad you did in the end.

GT500Tow

who's coil-over's would you recommend?

what about. Eibach Multi pro r2's

I run a real expensive Koni shocks. All out drag shock. It wasn't a bolt-on ether. I had to make spacers and the upper mount. Kind of a PITA. Right now three company's make bolt-on kits and shocks. I'm sure we will see many more in time. MRR. Modular Mustang Racing has bolt-on kits. Three different shocks avalible, Two for drag racing and one street knoi. Griggs racing has a bolt-on kit. Design for road racing and drag racing. A little more money, but they use a rebuildable koni shocks. Its probably the best kit made right now. Then Vogtland makes a bolt-on kit using koni shock and i didn't know they were making them till Coldwaterhotrod pulled up a link in another thread. They look like a good system to me, but expensive. If your interested in that kit I'd give J&M a call to see if they can get-em for you. They are a dealer for Voltland springs and Koni shocks. Here's the links.

http://www.vogtland-na.com/adjsuspension.asp

http://www.modularmustangracing.com/

http://www.grigg ing.com/index.php?cPat..._4309_4328_2040

I've been running heim joint racing type panhard for about four to five months now. I've never notice any vibration at all or harness in ride, and only a very slight increase in noise is all. But the handling of the car is night and day. It's one part were i feel like i got my moneys worth. When i see comments like "They cause noise harness and vibration" I know at that point that person has never run one. But hay this is the net right. So you can say what ever you want. Don't go and spend a grand on something just because you here I HAVE IT AND LOVE IT, when you can spend 120 bucks and get the same results. Look at any of Fords racs cars and see what they run. Or go and watch some road racing and see what they run. Then decide. One place you don't want heims is LCA's. It will drive like a race car and Handle awesome, but they do make a bunch of noise. Not true with my panhard bar. Nether one produced vibration or harness. After trying just about every part made for our Mustang. I'd say one of the very best mods money can buy for your suspension is coilover shocks. You will be amazed at how good your car drives and handles. That's why all of the fastest mustangs are running them. Spend your money wisely and you'll be glad you did in the end.

Thanks for confirming my thoughts on the subject. I have used heim joints in truck suspensions before with a lot of sucess. I didnt see any increased noise or any harsh ride issues but then again there was a lot more tire to smooth out the ride.

Kind of suprised the lower LCA's would make noise. If the end bolts and the sphercial joints have close tolerances I don't see where the noise would come from other than maybe a more rigid ride causing more vibration resonating through the rear end of the car.

I have just about made up my mind to go with spherical panhard and upper/lower LCA's. If I dont like it we are only talking a few hundred dollars. I could swap them out and probably sell them to get a chunk of my money back. If I didnt like it and lost $150 on the whole process at least I know for sure and don't live with the question.

Thanks for your input!

Kieffer

Archived