TEAM SHELBY FORUM

5.4 to 4.6 blower

Greg Abarr

Have a friend with a 08 Cobra that sent it to Las Vegas for the 700 HP upgrade. I have an 08 Mustang GT with the 4.6 in it.

He said he will sell me all the take off stuff from his Cobra for $3000 and I will buy it if the 5.4 blower part's will fit my car of if I can buy a conversion to make the blower work on my car.

Anybody know if this will work.

Thank's

Greg

• 4 weeks later...

I talked to my Ford tech today. He says it won't work. We have the same block (just different material) but the heads on the 5.4 are 4v - which translates into a different V-spread. Sorry.

Wait a minute. This is not what I've been told. Both the 4.6 and the 5.4 have the same bore dimensions. The 5.4 has a longer stroke which means the deck height is raised. This causes the intake valley to be wider on the 5.4, not a difference in the heads. These modular motors have many interchangeable parts, including the heads. You can bolt the 3-valve heads onto a 5.4, four valve heads onto a 4.6, etc.. The bottom line is the 5.4 has a wider intake valley than the 4.6, making intake manifolds (or superchargers) not interchangeable.

This is similar to the Mopar 383 & 440. The 383 is called the "B" block and the 440 is the "RB" (for raised block). Intakes are not interchangeable because the 440 variant is wider. Now, please correct me if I've been mislead.

I talked to my Ford tech today. He says it won't work. We have the same block (just different material) but the heads on the 5.4 are 4v - which translates into a different V-spread. Sorry.

Wait a minute. This is not what I've been told. Both the 4.6 and the 5.4 have the same bore dimensions. The 5.4 has a longer stroke which means the deck height is raised. This causes the intake valley to be wider on the 5.4, not a difference in the heads. These modular motors have many interchangeable parts, including the heads. You can bolt the 3-valve heads onto a 5.4, four valve heads onto a 4.6, etc.. The bottom line is the 5.4 has a wider intake valley than the 4.6, making intake manifolds (or superchargers) not interchangeable.

This is similar to the Mopar 383 & 440. The 383 is called the "B" block and the 440 is the "RB" (for raised block). Intakes are not interchangeable because the 440 variant is wider. Now, please correct me if I've been mislead.

Hi Willie

You are right on the deck height. That was one of my concern's and why I posted the question. I might still buy a used serup and see if i can do some sugury in the shop and make it work. Shouldn't be to hard if the intake can be modified with shop tool's.

Greg

Archived