TEAM SHELBY FORUM

How Likely Is Bankruptcy For Big Three?

Middle class being wiped out? I don't think so! Our standard of living today is MUCH better than 50 years ago!!!!! With milk at $6.00/gal, gas at $4.00/gal and ALL!!!

Middle class is here to stay!!!! I have FAITH in the American people!

Some of the middle class will slip into the lower class if nothing is done. Over time this will all have a real nagative impact on our country. We need a STRONG middle class not a bigger spread between upper and middle class.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The discussion will go on and on and on. Everybody has an opinion.

Hey, this is a global market. I agree. I am for Free Trade also. However, everyone, especially our Politicians forget that Free Trade must mean "FAIR TRADE".

In response to the Big three, there were a lot of mistakes made in product, quality, management, etc. However, all of us work for companies that make mistakes ongoing. If they are good business folks, they seem to overcome them.

Everyone seems to forget that the circumstances surrounding the Automobile Industry is one that has hurt this Country. For instance, the Big 3 has Legacy costs (aged workers, retirement, health care, etc.) that the Foreign manufacturers do not have. Take those Legacy costs at approx. $1800 per vehicle, the value of the dollar against the yen (typically $1500 per vehicle) and you are at a hell of a disadvantage when it comes to costs, developing new products, competing, etc.

Gee, all those developing countries have Governments involved in their auto industries because they understand what manufacturing means to a country. ( ie US in the last 100 years). Now our wonderful "CONGRESS" don't give a damn about anything but staying in office and carrying the banner for everything "GREEN". That's why we are paying such high prices for gas. The auto industry does not want a bail out, all they have ever asked for is favorable accounting rules for business practices, ( depreciation, asset evaluation, etc.) like the foreign manufacturers have and the Big Three can and would compete against all the foreign manufacturers even with their Governments help.

Blaming the current President for all this is partially correct but lets put blame where it belongs. Everyone wanted change in 2006 from those mean Republicans. Well, they got it with a Democratic Congress. WHAT THE HELL HAVE THEY DONE IN THE LAST TWO YEARS? NOTHING!!!!!

Sorry to make this post so long, but please read below and everyong consider who they will vote for in the next election.

Subject: Why the "ins" should be out

545 People

By Charlie Reese --

Politicians are the only people in the world

who create problems and then campaign against them.

Have you ever wondered why, if both the Democrats

and the Republicans are against deficits, we have

deficits? Have you ever wondered why, if all the

politicians are against inflation and high taxes, we

have inflation and high taxes?

You and I don't propose a federal budget. The

president does. You and I don't have the

Constitutional authority to vote on appropriations.

The House of Representatives does.

You and I don't write the tax code, Congress

does. You and I don't set fiscal policy, Congress

does. You and I don't control monetary policy, The

Federal Reserve Bank does.

One hundred senators, 435 congressmen, one

president and nine Supreme Court justices - 545

human beings out of the 300 million - are directly,

legally, morally and individually responsible for

the domestic problems that plague this country.

I excluded the members of the Federal Reserve

Board because that problem was created by the

Congress. In 1913, Congress delegated its

Constitutional duty to provide a sound currency to a

federally chartered but private central bank.

I excluded all the special interests and

lobbyists for a sound reason. They have no legal

authority. They have no ability to coerce a

senator, a congressman or a president to do one

cotton-picking thing. I don't care if they offer a

politician $1 million dollars in cash. The

politician has the power to accept or reject it. No

matter what the lobbyist promises, it is the

legislator's responsibility to determine how he

votes.

Those 545 human beings spend much of their

energy convincing you that what they did is not

their fault. They cooperate in this common con

regardless of party.

What separates a politician from a normal

human being is an excessive amount of gall. No

normal human being would have the gall of a Speaker,

who stood up and criticized the President for

creating deficits.

The president can only propose a budget. He

cannot force the Congress to accept it. The

Constitution, which is the supreme law of the land,

gives sole responsibility to the House of

Representatives for originating and approving

appropriations and taxes.

Who is the speaker of the House? She is the

leader of the majority party. She and fellow House

members, not the president, can approve any budget

they want. If the president vetoes it, they can

pass it over his veto if they agree to.

It seems inconceivable to me that a nation of

300 million can not replace 545 people who stand

convicted -- by present facts - of incompetence and

irresponsibility. I can't think of a single

domestic problem that is not traceable directly to

those 545 people.

When you fully grasp the plain truth that 545

people exercise the power of the federal government,

then it must follow that what exists is what they

want to exist.

If the tax code is unfair, it's because they

want it unfair.

If the budget is in the red, it's because they

want it in the red.

If the Marines are in IRAQ, it's because they

want them in IRAQ.

If they do not receive social security but are

on an elite retirement plan not available to the

people, it's because they want it that way.

There are no insoluble government problems.

Do not let these 545 people shift the blame to

bureaucrats, whom they hire and whose jobs they can

abolish; to lobbyists, whose gifts and advice they

can reject; to regulators, to whom they give the

power to regulate and from whom they can take this

power..

Above all, do not let them con you into the

belief that there exists disembodied mystical forces

like 'the economy,' 'inflation' or 'politics' that

prevent them from doing what they take an oath to

do.

Those 545 people, and they alone, are

responsible. They, and they alone, have the power.

They, and they alone, should be held accountable

by the people who are their bosses - provided the

voters have the gumption to manage their own

employees.

We should vote all of them out of office and

clean up their mess!

Not to be picky, but the original framework did not allow for any government agent or entity to tax...that has been backdoored and then covered in the cloak of customary practice.

Although I do find it necessary to tax....

Hey, this is a global market. I agree. I am for Free Trade also. However, everyone, especially our Politicians forget that Free Trade must mean "FAIR TRADE".

This is what I eluded to earlier- you are under the impression that Fair belongs in our world...and it isn't there! We should all live in peace and harmony too....while we are at it lets end world hunger and disease, since these things aren't fair...

You expect YOUR government officials to make trade and business fair....and I wouldn't trust them to tie their own shoelaces without looking for a way to tie yours together. Even if our government were honest and well-intentioned, what power or jurisdiction do they wield over other businesses in other countries? Nada, Squat, Zilch...

Oh yeah, that wonderful power to tariff and tax....let me ask you a question...

What happens when we make a product more expensive in the US than the rest of the world?

The short answer is we create 2 things- a black market, and better market for buying outside of our jurisdiction and importing ourselves...

Your response is surely- we can simply get them on the way in...

But I retort- I bought a watch for half price in Jamaica the other day because all swiss watches have a HEFTY import tax on them, and then spent 30 bucks getting it here...it works for me all the time!

For mexican citizens the tariff on those same watches is even another 40-50%, so they come here to my town to buy their stuff on the cheap.

Canada would love the lets tax foreign goods even more solution...

Or we could outlaw goods like we have done with cuban cigars and drugs....that has really worked out well for us....

Middle class being wiped out? I don't think so! Our standard of living today is MUCH better than 50 years ago!!!!! With milk at $6.00/gal, gas at $4.00/gal and ALL!!!

Middle class is here to stay!!!! I have FAITH in the American people!

Yeah, sure they are better!

That is why every year Bankruptcies and Foreclosures continue to hit record highs. Because the middle class is much better off than they were 50 years ago! :hysterical:

The average American is BROKE! Most are living paycheck to paycheck. They are losing their good paying jobs and having to work at lower paying jobs. They are maxed out on credit card debt, their homes are mortgaged to the hilt, they are having to work two and three jobs just to pay their bills. Is that your idea of being better off?

Not to be picky, but the original framework did not allow for any government agent or entity to tax...that has been backdoored and then covered in the cloak of customary practice.

Although I do find it necessary to tax....

It doesn't allow them to tax income from labor either, but they sure have done a great job frauding the American people into thinking they HAVE to file a tax return and pay taxes on their labor!

Then if you don't file and pay they just slap illegal liens against you, take everything you own, and prosecute you and get convictions by fooling the juries and by having the crooked Judges in their pocket that won't allow you to present hard evidence that there is NO law that requires people to pay a tax on their labor. Even the supreme court has ruled on the meaning of income in several cases clearly stating income from your personal labor is PERSONAL PROPERTY!

You're a lawyer....check into it.

The average American is BROKE! Most are living paycheck to paycheck. They are losing their good paying jobs and having to work at lower paying jobs. They are maxed out on credit card debt, their homes are mortgaged to the hilt, they are having to work two and three jobs just to pay their bills.

Hey - I can attest to this one for sure :) My wife and I both work 2 jobs (me sometimes 3). Just trying to stay ahead of the mortgage company :)

Oh, Im no lawyer :spit on ground:

I just went to law school cuz I was tired of being sued by morons! That and a little discrimination problem with prosecution of gambling machines owned by one particular business and letting others slide after it was allowed under TX law, but I digress...

But you are 100% right...

if the prosecutor says they have the authority, juries blindly abide......objection? overruled by dumbass judge (the man)....

The law was developed solely for stripping your rights away that the constitution unwittingly provided for you...

here end of the lesson...

Sure, in a society of 150,000,000 folks you will find some that are doing worse and some that are doing better thru the different economic cycles.........if you look atthe median, no doubt that the standard of living now is much better than 50 years ago! Do not look at the extreme to generalize.

Sure, in a society of 150,000,000 folks you will find some that are doing worse and some that are doing better thru the different economic cycles.........if you look atthe median, no doubt that the standard of living now is much better than 50 years ago! Do not look at the extreme to generalize.

Ahh, but how is that same median doing as compared with say 5 even 10 years ago? I would venture to say not even CLOSE to as well as they were then.

Yikes- mein fuhrer! Lets just get rid of everyone that doesn't talk, look, or act just like we are supposed to while we are at it!

And his underlying theme being- common sense. Just as long as he addresses us looking like he just left a costume party...

I know- it envokes imagery of the revolution, but if I throw on parachute pants and a members only jacket, it doesn't mean Im a Reagan- ite.

+1

I saw that video on off topic forum...first thing came to my mind was Hitler....he talked just like him, throw hispanics , jews, arabs, blacks...etc out of the country and you will be ok....what a joke.

Nope! That is severely flawed!

You are looking at HOUSEHOLD incomes.

You are comparing ONE wage earner back then to two wage earners today and many of them working more than one job!

Then out of the two wage earners most of them have to shell out a few hundred per week for child care which eats up most of that second income coming in.

Do not let government statistics fool you!

Annual HOUSEHOLD income may be up, but it does not come close to what the cost of everything else is today. Quality of life is not better nor is it the same. Working longer hours, or two jobs, or having both spouses working just to make ends meet while their kids are shoved off to some daycare is hardly a better quality of life!

And now with American businesses going under or downsizing laying of tens of thousands of Americans is only making it worse as they have to go out and take much lower paying jobs doing the same exact line of work and getting less benefits and no solid retirements!

That MEDIAN you are talking about is the backbone of our economy that is being wiped out and forced into becoming the poverty of our country. What happens then???

Yeah, some better quality of life alright!

Hey there,

After my last post - I had to think. What kind of a comparison are you trying to make here! EVERYTHING has changed drasticlaly over the last 50 years, and trying to compare the standard of living back then with the standard of living today, is like trying to compare ENIAC with todays laptop computers. There is simply no comparison. While the general standard of living MIGHT be better (ONLY because of things like computers, the development of plastics, etc) - ther overall standard of living I would venture to say isnt as good. My Mom didnt have to work 50 years ago. When my Dad came home from work at Standard Oil, he was able to sit and relax and listen to the radio. Families did things together on the weekends. People today are on the go from the second they wake up in the morning until right before they go to bed - just to try to maintain SOME semblance of normalcy in the home.

NO comparison.

ShelbyDude.....If for some reason my comments were harsh please forgive me...its just i love this country and consider it home...that is why i may get passionate with my comments because i blend my experience overseas with my experience here.

I always admired your logic and even if i have different opinion i should not go to the "twisted logic" comment i made...and no ...no mods contacted me with PM they can verify....just me doing self evaluation..check and balance kind of thing.

I do respect your point of view...i wanted to be clear about that. ;)

If one files the other two will likely be forced to file.

Buy American and this may help, sad, but everywhere you shop for all durable goods, the label ( MADE IN USA ), IN NOWHERE TO BE FOUND, 20 years ago and such that was not the case, we need to changes things.

ShelbyDude.....If for some reason my comments were harsh please forgive me...its just i love this country and consider it home...that is why i may get passionate with my comments because i blend my experience overseas with my experience here.

I always admired your logic and even if i have different opinion i should not go to the "twisted logic" comment i made...and no ...no mods contacted me with PM they can verify....just me doing self evaluation..check and balance kind of thing.

I do respect your point of view...i wanted to be clear about that. ;)

No, you were not being harsh. Everything is cool. We are all just sharing opinions.

+1

I saw that video on off topic forum...first thing came to my mind was Hitler....he talked just like him, throw hispanics , jews, arabs, blacks...etc out of the country and you will be ok....what a joke.

Interesting that I didn't get the same thing from this video when I watched it. Nowhere did I hear that we no longer accept any other people. It's funny how different people hear different things. I'm not saying that I agree with everything or nothing that video said, but there were some interesting points in there.

Sharabi,

WHEN our government takes over health care in this country and you can no longer be free to charge whatever you feel is right in exchange for your services and all doctors are forced to basically become employees paid by the government, how are you going to feel about that?

So when our government says....Sharabi....your salary will be $60K year now....you will be paid by us instead of being able to charge people directly. There is no more health insurance. We the government are paying for everything. The good news is since the government is taking over the health care now you won't have to pay for malpractice insurance. We will provide everything you need. You will be exempt from lawsuits now that you are a government employee. You will have office hours from 9 - 5 Monday - Friday. You will get two weeks paid vacation per year. We will provide you with a pension after 30 years of service. You will get cost of living pay increases every year based on the consumer price index. In exchange you will recieve a generous salary of $60k per year and you will file and pay income tax on that.

Will you not have a problem with that? Will you stay here and continue to be a doctor here?

Oh.....then meanwhile you can listen to everyone say things like.....well if doctors didn't price gouge everyone charging outrageous fees this would never have happened! Doctors and hostpitals should have been more competitive and charged more reasonable fees to everyone. And lets face it....a lot of countries have been providing health care for their people! It's a blobal economy so just accept it! That's the way it is now!

:hysterical:

Did you intentionally avoid responding to this post because I read through two more pages of messages and didn't see a response to this and I was really curious about your answer myself? Sorry to put you on the spot, but curiosity killed the cat! :)

Does it make a difference if a doctor is in it just for the money VS some car salesman being in it just for the money? Does having a title of being a doctor make them special or better than anyone else?

Reread YOUR post I responded to. You brought up the issue of doctors being in it for the money! I agree that what is good for the goose is good for the gander. In fact, you just made my point for me. You seem to be arguing both sides of the fence. I can see you would be a good salesman. Never mind the facts, just wear 'em down!

And quite frankly, despite glimmers of fact and truth your posts seem to be fear mongering, end of days scenarios. Don't really want to beat you over the head with your own words, but there is plenty here to go on if I must.

Just one example:

Sorry, but you are missing the entire point.

Enjoy buying whatever you want while you can. Because the POINT on all this is that your days of being able to do that are numbered! When the middle class is wiped out what will be left to support the income coming in that you make that allows you that luxury of being able to buy whatever you want?

It is not the facts that I question, merely the conclusions.

You see, I have been listening to people say the same stuff you are for 30 years and America's standard of living has continued to improve. However, growth is cyclical. America dominated the world's economies for many years. And there are numerous examples of where we benefited from "uneven playing fields". Now that our competitors are reaping the same benefits we start crying "foul".

Instead we should use our strengths and ingenuity to beat them at their own game. A game we invented!

Making excuses for why Ford is getting their a$$ handed to them due to an unrealistic reliance on sales of trucks and large SUVs is ridiculous. How about bad forethought? Bad management? Poor planning? Guess no one at Ford anticipated higher gas prices!

Nope, it is "the other guys fault". From my way of thinking, that is how we got into this mess in the first place. More of the same thinking isn't going to fix the problem.

Yeah, sure they are better!

That is why every year Bankruptcies and Foreclosures continue to hit record highs. Because the middle class is much better off than they were 50 years ago! :hysterical:

The average American is BROKE! Most are living paycheck to paycheck. They are losing their good paying jobs and having to work at lower paying jobs. They are maxed out on credit card debt, their homes are mortgaged to the hilt, they are having to work two and three jobs just to pay their bills. Is that your idea of being better off?

50 years ago people would have been barely able to afford a tiny house, 1 car and certainly had no home theaters, PCs, cellphones or $100 running shoes. Few could afford sending their children to college.

Does anyone else find it ironic that this is a forum that caters to people who own $50K Muscle cars, that get 20 MPG at best, and there are complaints about our standard of living.

People are in the financial distress because of incredibly poor judgment and a temporary downturn in the economy. As a result of a serious deficit in financial acumen, many people have overextended themselves in housing, automobiles and everything else. Foolishly squandered their home equity on non-necessities. Now the consumer has been forced to pull back and a lot of people, who should not have been able to afford too much house, are in trouble. Big surprise there!

Unfortunately, our high standard of living relies on consumers going deeply into debt to have expensive cell phone plans and luxury automobiles, etc. Somewhat a house of cards. Personally, I would not be owning a GT500 if I did not have my financial house in order. I paid cash and my insurance is roughly $600 yearly. I bet there are people on here who are paying huge monthly payments, ridiculous insurances costs and gasoline charges they can barely afford. THAT is why some people are feeling the pain.

Two years from now our economy will be back on track and this will all be a thing of the past...until the next time!

Two years from now our economy will be back on track and this will all be a thing of the past...until the next time!

I hope you're right Shaker! Do you miss your Mach at all anymore now that you've had your GT500 for a little while now? :)

Did you intentionally avoid responding to this post because I read through two more pages of messages and didn't see a response to this and I was really curious about your answer myself? Sorry to put you on the spot, but curiosity killed the cat! :)

No not at all i will answer it.

Whether you believe me or not....am not in it for the money.

I said that before and i will say it again. money is byproduct...

even if my income went down like SD mentioned that will not bother me if health service is given to someone who cannot afford it. It will bother me if the insurance company will cash the difference and people cannot access health services though.

let me put it in another way.

my education took me 12 yeas alimentary-high school + 6 years med school + 4 years surgical program abroad+ 3 years internal medicine in US.

How much damn money do you thing will compensate me if i started working and making money in my thirties.

I will say it again

I do not care how much am making as long as am making someone suffer less and someone in less pain.

Our job is rewarding, in another word seeing a patient recover is PRICELESS.

Now you can believe what i say or say BS about it but this is what a in internal medicine for.

The discussion will go on and on and on. Everybody has an opinion.

In response to the Big three, there were a lot of mistakes made in product, quality, management, etc. However, all of us work for companies that make mistakes ongoing. If they are good business folks, they seem to overcome them.

Everyone seems to forget that the circumstances surrounding the Automobile Industry is one that has hurt this Country. For instance, the Big 3 has Legacy costs (aged workers, retirement, health care, etc.) that the Foreign manufacturers do not have. Take those Legacy costs at approx. $1800 per vehicle, the value of the dollar against the yen (typically $1500 per vehicle) and you are at a hell of a disadvantage when it comes to costs, developing new products, competing, etc.

Gee, all those developing countries have Governments involved in their auto industries because they understand what manufacturing means to a country. ( ie US in the last 100 years). Now our wonderful "CONGRESS" don't give a damn about anything but staying in office and carrying the banner for everything "GREEN". That's why we are paying such high prices for gas. The auto industry does not want a bail out, all they have ever asked for is favorable accounting rules for business practices, ( depreciation, asset evaluation, etc.) like the foreign manufacturers have and the Big Three can and would compete against all the foreign manufacturers even with their Governments help.

Blaming the current President for all this is partially correct but lets put blame where it belongs. Everyone wanted change in 2006 from those mean Republicans. Well, they got it with a Democratic Congress. WHAT THE HELL HAVE THEY DONE IN THE LAST TWO YEARS? NOTHING!!!!!

Sorry to make this post so long, but please read below and everyong consider who they will vote for in the next election.

Subject: Why the "ins" should be out

545 People

By Charlie Reese --

Politicians are the only people in the world

who create problems and then campaign against them.

Have you ever wondered why, if both the Democrats

and the Republicans are against deficits, we have

deficits? Have you ever wondered why, if all the

politicians are against inflation and high taxes, we

have inflation and high taxes?

You and I don't propose a federal budget. The

president does. You and I don't have the

Constitutional authority to vote on appropriations.

The House of Representatives does.

You and I don't write the tax code, Congress

does. You and I don't set fiscal policy, Congress

does. You and I don't control monetary policy, The

Federal Reserve Bank does.

One hundred senators, 435 congressmen, one

president and nine Supreme Court justices - 545

human beings out of the 300 million - are directly,

legally, morally and individually responsible for

the domestic problems that plague this country.

I excluded the members of the Federal Reserve

Board because that problem was created by the

Congress. In 1913, Congress delegated its

Constitutional duty to provide a sound currency to a

federally chartered but private central bank.

I excluded all the special interests and

lobbyists for a sound reason. They have no legal

authority. They have no ability to coerce a

senator, a congressman or a president to do one

cotton-picking thing. I don't care if they offer a

politician $1 million dollars in cash. The

politician has the power to accept or reject it. No

matter what the lobbyist promises, it is the

legislator's responsibility to determine how he

votes.

Those 545 human beings spend much of their

energy convincing you that what they did is not

their fault. They cooperate in this common con

regardless of party.

What separates a politician from a normal

human being is an excessive amount of gall. No

normal human being would have the gall of a Speaker,

who stood up and criticized the President for

creating deficits.

The president can only propose a budget. He

cannot force the Congress to accept it. The

Constitution, which is the supreme law of the land,

gives sole responsibility to the House of

Representatives for originating and approving

appropriations and taxes.

Who is the speaker of the House? She is the

leader of the majority party. She and fellow House

members, not the president, can approve any budget

they want. If the president vetoes it, they can

pass it over his veto if they agree to.

It seems inconceivable to me that a nation of

300 million can not replace 545 people who stand

convicted -- by present facts - of incompetence and

irresponsibility. I can't think of a single

domestic problem that is not traceable directly to

those 545 people.

When you fully grasp the plain truth that 545

people exercise the power of the federal government,

then it must follow that what exists is what they

want to exist.

If the tax code is unfair, it's because they

want it unfair.

If the budget is in the red, it's because they

want it in the red.

If the Marines are in IRAQ, it's because they

want them in IRAQ.

If they do not receive social security but are

on an elite retirement plan not available to the

people, it's because they want it that way.

There are no insoluble government problems.

Do not let these 545 people shift the blame to

bureaucrats, whom they hire and whose jobs they can

abolish; to lobbyists, whose gifts and advice they

can reject; to regulators, to whom they give the

power to regulate and from whom they can take this

power..

Above all, do not let them con you into the

belief that there exists disembodied mystical forces

like 'the economy,' 'inflation' or 'politics' that

prevent them from doing what they take an oath to

do.

Those 545 people, and they alone, are

responsible. They, and they alone, have the power.

They, and they alone, should be held accountable

by the people who are their bosses - provided the

voters have the gumption to manage their own

employees.

We should vote all of them out of office and

clean up their mess!

The republicans block all the bills because there is still the 60 rule. It's a popular thing to say YOU HAVE NOT DONE ANYTHING ! Until the opposing party gets the right number of seats or the fu-k heads cross party lines and do whats RIGHT for AMERICA not the special interest. There is still to many do nothing incumbents that were not up for re-election last time. Remember the GOP has been in total control for the past 7+ years . Ask yourself is this country better off now or 7 years ago? Don't fall for all this middle class tax increase sh-t. When i was a rep i was fooled into all the hipe. Now these people in both houses that have been there to long or have been bought by special interest must get the hell out of the way.

I hope you're right Shaker! Do you miss your Mach at all anymore now that you've had your GT500 for a little while now? :)

Yes, a little bit. It certainly was a bit smaller and lighter, making it fun to "toss" about. The tinyest twitch of the wheel and it responded. And mine wasn't even modified. I also miss getting a bit better mileage.

Get this, I had the Mach for 5 years without barely a chip and no dings. I've had the GT500 1 month and someone dinged the fender above the wheel. I think it will come out with paint less ding repair. I am calling someone next week. Or taking it to my Ford dealer. Oh well, I did buy it to drive!

• 1 month later...
http://money.aol.com/news/articles/_a/bbdp...ig-three/121456

If Ford should be the one to file I dont know that they will have to honor extended warranites. Factory ones should be all right.

:cry: When I posted this 2 months who would have thought this would really happen. I am really scared this time.

The fact is that we have a global economy now. All foreign automakers realize that...ours do not. They should reorganize...get rid of the management and officials and concentrate their products for a global market..not an American one only.

i belive that they need a change at the top too :happy feet:

Archived