TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Winter Tires

whuml

Since winter is coming and I am in the Chicago area thoughts of traction seem appropriate.

The manual says the tires are not recommend for under 40 degrees temp.

Does anybody have any suggestions besides storage?

This is the only winter tire I found for the rear of the new Cobra's.

Winter_Tire

Dunno though, I'd probably find a beater. Snow + Salt + New Cobra :sos:

Since winter is coming and I am in the Chicago area thoughts of traction seem appropriate.

I have used B. F. Goodrich Blizzaks on my 04 Mustang Gt for two winters. It is the only way I can drive the beast in the winter.

Expensive Tires but great for Ontario's snow.

I'm happy to say this is not a problem that I think I'll need to deal with.

Apart from maybe a drive or 2 to Idaho to see family, this car will likely never see snow even if I drive it year round, which I plan to do.

Haven't seen many cactus with frost-bite anyway...

Mike.

I can't Beleive this question is even being asked!

If you must or want to drive a Shelby in the snow.... go buy an older Shelby Dodge Durango & call it your winter beater car. :doh:

enough about this "Snow" stuff already.

(By the way, what the Hell is it? :shrug: )

I want to know how I'm going to tow my boat with this thing.

Any good options for a class-III receiver hitch that can drag 3,000+ lbs? :finger:

Mike.

Hey, you guys just don't understand the inside joke that was playing itself out in my mind here when I posted that.

Truth is I actually DID sit here one night trying to decide/figure out how I was going to put a hitch on it if I traded in my F-150.

Then, after I sobered up, I just decided to buy the Explorer for wifey instead, with the towing package of course.

Real joke is, I decided to keep my F-150 anyway.

Truth is sometimes stranger than fiction.

See what a little :party: can do to you on your off-time...

Mike.

I drive my 97 all year round. And if you look at a map, I am in the VERY north part of North America. I recoomend Dunlop Winter Sports. They were created for the PORSCHE 911 in Germany where winter tires are mandatory, and are an excellent tire. You can use a 255 snow all the way around. I got mine HERE

I want to know how I'm going to tow my boat with this thing.

Any good options for a class-III receiver hitch that can drag 3,000+ lbs? :finger:

Ford used to make an excellent option for this very issue, and it kept Ford performance buyers in the fold. It was called the Lightning... :fan:

Whum - apparently you struck a nerve here!

Winter tires on a Shelby are going to be iffy - regardless of brand (IMHO).

I've got over 25 years of winter driving experience in all sorts of vehicles.

This car is not going to do well in the slippery white stuff - never mind the black ice - never mind just rain!

My vote? Beater time.

Good luck, bro. :shift:

Whum - apparently you struck a nerve here!

Winter tires on a Shelby are going to be iffy - regardless of brand (IMHO).

I've got over 25 years of winter driving experience in all sorts of vehicles.

This car is not going to do well in the slippery white stuff - never mind the black ice - never mind just rain!

My vote? Beater time.

Good luck, bro. :shift:

I completely agree. I don't think winter tires are going to help much when you start slippin' and slidin'. I put all weather tires on my wife's 98 Mustang, and it is still very sketchy in the snow. I can't imagine what will happen with a 500hp pony.

I've put 93k on my 96 Cobra, so it's no garage queen, and the winters in Colorado resemble those in California anymore, nevertheless when the sky is dark, or rumored to get dark the Cobra stays home. The few times snow snuck-up on me, I was surprised how well it did, but it still wasn't pretty. With the new one I'll be even more cautious. Plus, I love driving my truck. No need for snow tires.

Thanks for all your comments

whuml

It was 40 degrees this morning when I went out. Well, 2nd gear at 30mph just spun the tires, no traction.

I am going to get a recommendation made in an earlier post and store the car most of Dec and jan , Feb.

Thanks for all the comments

Archived