TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Warranty Void?

08BlueCoupe

Will Corsa Axle Back Exhaust, JLT CAI, and a tune void my warranty?

If so, which one(s) will and if possible which one(s) won't?

I have both and my warranty is intact. If the mod causes a failure....then that could be a different story.

Example: Tranny and clutch problems are not caused by these 2 mods....thus the warranty is being honored.

You need to get a relationship with your dealer too.

I have both and my warranty is intact. If the mod causes a failure....then that could be a different story.

Example: Tranny and clutch problems are not caused by these 2 mods....thus the warranty is being honored.

You need to get a relationship with your dealer too.

What can be considered a failure by the mod?

Like with CAI is it anything wrong with the motor?

The only component that you listed that will not void the warranty is the axle back exhaust. While the FRPP CAI and tune is the only kit that is 50 state smog legal the dealer COULD still refuse to do warranty repairs to the drivetrain.

If your dealer wants to take the position not to honor warranty work because of your mods then the burden shifts to you to prove the mods did not cause the problem. There are Ford field reps, regional reps and then the corporate offices for you to appeal to.

Having said all that if you stick to only a CAI and tune and something does go wrong then you might want to remove the CAI and flash the factory tune back into the car before you take it to the dealer for repairs.

They cant just void your warranty - they have to be able to show that the item is question was the cause for a failure. Here is some light reading you may want to take a look at.

http://www.magnusonproducts.com/magnusonmoss.htm

http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=60128

http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=60127

Ford Motor Company

January 2008 3-131

Other Cancellation Categories

In some instances Ford may cancel all or part of a vehicle’s warranty due to customer abuse,

racing, damage caused by modifications or weather, improper conversion to a limousine, etc. In

these instances a specific message will appear in OASIS such as: Engine warranty coverage

cancelled; Powertrain warranty coverage cancelled; Total Cancellation; Rear Axle Cancelled; –

Regional request, etc. Below are common types of vehicle damage that require warranty

cancellation;

Infrequent or No Vehicle Maintenance

• Cancellation Criteria: Infrequent or no vehicle maintenance has caused engine or

transmission damage or failure * Cancellation Types: Engine, Transmission, Powertrain.

Modification or Alteration

• Cancellation Criteria: Vehicle has been modified or altered for performance enhancement

(for example chips, etc.), resulting in damage to the engine, transmission, or other vehicle

components.

• Cancellation Types: Engine, Transmission, Powertrain, Rear Axle or, in extreme cases,

entire vehicle coverage.

Water Ingestion / Damage

• Cancellation Criteria: Water has been ingested into the vehicle’s powertrain compartment or

elsewhere in the vehicle causing damage to one or more components.

• Cancellation Types: Engine, Transmission, Powertrain or, in extreme cases, entire vehicle

coverage.

Abuse

• Cancellation Criteria: Vehicle abuse whether intentional or inadvertent, resulting in damage

to the engine, transmission or other vehicle components. Types of abuse may included fuel

contamination, aggressive driving behavior, racing, aftermarket fluid additives, etc.

• Cancellation Types: Engine, Transmission, Powertrain, Rear Axle, Body/Paint or, in extreme

cases, Entire Vehicle Coverage.

Odometer Tampering

• Cancellation Criteria: The odometer shows signs of tampering.

• Cancellation Types: Entire Vehicle Coverage.

Unauthorized Repair or Parts

• Cancellation Criteria: Vehicle repair or service has been performed by an unqualified repair

facility or a non-Ford part has been installed, resulting in damage to the engine,

transmission, or other vehicle components.

• Cancellation Types: Engine, Transmission, Powertrain, Rear Axle or, in extreme

It makes your head spin after awhile :runaway:

Always go to the same Ford dealer and stay with one service adviser!

If you become loyal to the dealer and staff they will go to bat for you with Ford.

I have been in the car business a long time and this is the best way to get great service from you local Ford Dealer.

Thanks,

Tom

Ford Motor Company

January 2008 3-131

• Cancellation Criteria: Vehicle has been modified or altered for performance enhancement

(for example chips, etc.), resulting in damage to the engine, transmission, or other vehicle

components.

The mod itself does not cancel the warranty. The mod must result in damage before they can cancel the warranty.

Certainly a Corsa axleback won't cause damage. Neither will the CAI.

The CAI without a tune may cause damage, but if you apply a tune that prevents a lean operating condition, that will prevent damage, not cause it.

I suggest that if you ever bring your car in for warranty work, just put the old air cleaner and tune back in.

[editted out a word...]

Even the most anal dealers probably are not going to make a big deal about axle back mufflers.

As for the tune and CAI, they can easily be removed, so if you have a picky dealer it would just be best to remove them before going in.

I also make a 2.65" upper blower pulley that looks like stock, and will fool people unless they start measuring two cars side by side. You can drive to the dealer with this pulley on the stock tune/stock intake if you don't go over 5000rpm (maf pegs above that).

vmp265.jpg

Archived