TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Mirror Finish on new Shelby?

cwilder

is anyone famliar with this mirror finish process? I was thinking of having this done when I get my Shelby. I've attached a link. Hope this is ok.

CW

http://www.mingsa.com/k

Link doesn't work if you have the /k on the end.

other than that, I dunno, guess it's worth a shot? But I doubt the claim of 'never needing wax', it's not like they teflon coat the car? Also the shot they had was of a BMW which uses lead based paint, which is by and large 'smoother' with less orange peel. The orange peel in most cars (my Cobra included) is under the Clear coat, so I wonder at the results? Also I would be worried about someone basically buffing an area until it's 'hot' to achieve this, seems like it would burn through the clear coat and smooth out what's underneath?

Dunno, those are my thoughts.

On a side note, look into a 3M clear bra for your car, will help with insects that get embedded in the bumper paint at 150mph. :shift:

Link doesn't work if you have the /k on the end.

other than that, I dunno, guess it's worth a shot? But I doubt the claim of 'never needing wax', it's not like they teflon coat the car? Also the shot they had was of a BMW which uses lead based paint, which is by and large 'smoother' with less orange peel. The orange peel in most cars (my Cobra included) is under the Clear coat, so I wonder at the results? Also I would be worried about someone basically buffing an area until it's 'hot' to achieve this, seems like it would burn through the clear coat and smooth out what's underneath?

Dunno, those are my thoughts.

On a side note, look into a 3M clear bra for your car, will help with insects that get embedded in the bumper paint at 150mph. :shift:

anybody know if they have the pieces cut for the 07 shelby?

This sounds like a bunch of B.S. to me.

Are there any chemists on the forum that want to comment on this company's claim that their special technique "causes the paint to smooth out, reflow and seal itself"?

"Reflow"? Come on.

How do they get at the paint through the clearcoat with this apparently mechanical ("The Mirror Finish, a unique process, utilizes a wool bonnet to heat a small area of the paint and to close the paint pores, while select chemicals keep the paint lubricated during the process.") technique? If your clearcoat is somehow removed, that sounds like a particularly poor long term solution to me.

I wouldn't let these guys touch my car with a 10 foot pole.

This sounds like a bunch of B.S. to me.

Are there any chemists on the forum that want to comment on this company's claim that their special technique "causes the paint to smooth out, reflow and seal itself"?

"Reflow"? Come on.

How do they get at the paint through the clearcoat with this apparently mechanical ("The Mirror Finish, a unique process, utilizes a wool bonnet to heat a small area of the paint and to close the paint pores, while select chemicals keep the paint lubricated during the process.") technique? If your clearcoat is somehow removed, that sounds like a particularly poor long term solution to me.

I wouldn't let these guys touch my car with a 10 foot pole.

Neither would I, the pole might scratch it... :fan:

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to have them do my truck but will keep them away from the Shelby. As a side note, dealer called me today and said my order should be pulled this week or next!!! :happy feet:

CW

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to have them do my truck but will keep them away from the Shelby. As a side note, dealer called me today and said my order should be pulled this week or next!!! :happy feet:

CW

Ok. First. Painting with clear coat is a 2 step process. Paint, then clear coat. So what they are really talking about here is modifying your clear coat - not the paint. To move the paint and flatten it, you'd have to remove the clear coat.

Next, most people here can probably tell you that HEAT will not SOFTEN this paint. Automotive paint uses solvents that are volatile at and above room temperature. In fact they BAKE paints to make them cure more fully and make them harder.

So what is this really? Simple. They are buffing your car with a very mild abrasive and then are applying some type of acrylic / clear coat sealer when they are done.

You can do this easily yourself using a product like Poliglow. I would not let them touch my car.

Minged my new 1979 trans am and liked it so much I have done all the new cars I have got since. It will make your car look clean even when it's not from a short distance. What I like about it is if you would get road tar on it you just use raw gas and wipe it off without dulling the finish. If your wife is going to drive the car and she don't park in the north 40 of the shopping mall parking lot . don't get a ming ! It will magnify the straight lines of a car but will also magnify a door ding!!!! My shelby gets delivered in early nov. and it will get a ming, because it will never see a mall parking lot unless I'm driveing by.

At the home page of this site is an add for 5 starshine . com. Has anyone tried this? I don't want to screw up the finish when I get my Shelby. Not too sure what products are the best to use, but I would like to learn what products work best. :sos:

Archived