TEAM SHELBY FORUM

zMAX

ShelbyGT/SC

I have been wanting to ask about this for a while but keep forgetting.

Who's using zMax and what are your thoughts?

I have been using it for a while and have over 6200 miles on my car. Although I haven't pulled the engine apart, I am hopeful that it's helping a great deal.

I at least feel much more comfortable starting my car after it has been sitting for a few days (or weeks in the winter) knowing that the zMAX is helping protect the engine - especially the upper parts after sitting.

A few months ago I watched a special on one of the Saturday morning car shows (I think it was 2 Guy's Garage) where the whole show was about zMAX. I was very impressed by the technology and how it protects an engine and other internals.

Your thoughts and successes???

I don't think, in the end result, it will prove to be a benefit to you. Will you ever really know what it has done, or did, for your engine? If it gives you peace of mind, however, what the heck.

I thought at one time I saw CS endorsing zMAX. This has been awhile ago though.

"The Federal Trade Commission has filed suit in U. S. District Court seeking to halt false and misleading advertising for zMax auto additives and has asked the court to order refunds to consumers who bought the products. The agency alleges that enhanced performance claims for the product are unsubstantiated, that tests cited to support performance claims actually demonstrated that motor oil treated with zMax produced more than twice as much bearing corrosion than motor oil alone, and that the three different products - an engine additive, a fuel line additive and a transmission additive - were all actually tinted mineral oil. zMax is manufactured by Oil-Chem, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Speedway Motorsports, Inc. Speedway, based in Concord, North Carolina, operates NASCAR race tracks in the South and in California, in addition to marketing the zMax products."

clicky clicky

"The Federal Trade Commission has filed suit in U. S. District Court seeking to halt false and misleading advertising for zMax auto additives and has asked the court to order refunds to consumers who bought the products. The agency alleges that enhanced performance claims for the product are unsubstantiated, that tests cited to support performance claims actually demonstrated that motor oil treated with zMax produced more than twice as much bearing corrosion than motor oil alone, and that the three different products - an engine additive, a fuel line additive and a transmission additive - were all actually tinted mineral oil. zMax is manufactured by Oil-Chem, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Speedway Motorsports, Inc. Speedway, based in Concord, North Carolina, operates NASCAR race tracks in the South and in California, in addition to marketing the zMax products."

clicky clicky

Refunds? In that case I bought 25 boxes of the stuff. :drool:

clicky clicky

OUCH!

The show looked really convincing.

So how much power boost do I get if I put mineral oil in my gas tank?

Let's all just pretend that I never posted this topic. LOL

OUCH!

The show looked really convincing.

So how much power boost do I get if I put mineral oil in my gas tank?

Let's all just pretend that I never posted this topic. LOL

See what you did..............this is way your not allowed outside by yourself...................................... :hysterical:

clicky clicky

I wandered what happened to the commercials............................ now we know.

David.

clicky clicky

In 2003 it got reversed

http://www.zmax.com/ftc.html

IMHO from working with heat treated steel, I think zMax's claim works similar to case hardening of steel. I’m not sure what grade our steel is for the engine blocks, but the surface of flame-hardened medium-carbon type steel will have a poorer wear resistance then that of the same piece of steel with a higher richness of carbon-content of equal hardness. Most mild steels do not contain enough carbon in them to be able to just heat them up to make them harder. You can force carbon into the skin of metal to produce a piece of mild steel which has a harder outer casing containing more carbon than its inner core. Granted our internals don’t turn cherry red or bright red like they do doing heat treat but I think the theroy is close.

I think zMax has found a way which allows this micro lube to soak into the outer surface when the motor & parts get hot (just like in the commercial). During Heat treating you can produce a carbon rich skin on metal to a case thickness of about 1mm thick. Case hardening is used to add hardness to outside or resist wear and tear, but yet it’s softer on the inside to resist shock or sudden blows. If carbonization can be done to metal, why do you have a hard time believing that someone can’t figure out a way to allow a micro-lubricant to be absorbed into metal when heated up? Personally I think it does work because I have cross sectioned many parts & looked at them under a microscope in a lab to verify the induction of carbon into them for warranty claims & if carbon can be added to the skin so can a micro lubricant.

In 2003 it got reversed

Isn't that interesting.

Here is a copy of the final order. The last three pages where they reference proof of the claims on their website but demand confidentiality are pretty interesting. clicky

FTC news release of settlement

They still got spanked for a million dollars. It seems their claims went very general after the suit rather than the specifics the FTC were accusing them of stating but according to the letter what they do claim is accurate.

I'm not saying it does or does not work. Just reporting my findings. I'm indifferent.

I thought I heard that their oil additive was a PTFE with a carrier. PTFE is another name for the trademarked Dupont polymer called "Teflon".

I think that if this was a big benefit, the lubricant manufacturers would already include it in their additives that they put in their oil.

I’m not sure what grade our steel is for the engine blocks, but the surface of flame-hardened medium-carbon type steel will have a poorer wear resistance then that of the same piece of steel with a higher richness of carbon-content of equal hardness.

The SGT block is aluminum...

In 2003 it got reversed

From 2001:

The FTC's complaint alleges that the defendants did not possess and rely on reasonable substantiation for the following claims in the infomercial, on the Web site and in brochures that zMax:

increases gas mileage;

increases gas mileage by a minimum of 10%

reduces engine wear;

reduces or eliminates engine wear at startup;

reduces engine corrosion;

extends engine life; and

reduces emissions.

The agency's complaint also alleges that the defendants falsely represent that the results of the CRC L38 test proved that zMax:

increases gas mileage;

reduces engine wear;

extends engine life;

lowers fuel consumption by 8.5%

lowers wear on valve stems by 66%

lowers wear on piston skirts by 60%; and

cuts carbon build-up on valve stems by 66%.

From 2003 : The Reversal

• zMAX soaks into metal.

• zMAX reduces friction.

• zMAX increases horsepower.

• zMAX dissipates engine heat.

• zMAX helps to improve or restore gas mileage and reduce emissions in older cars, by virtue of reducing engine deposits.

• zMAX helps to maintain gas mileage and emissions in newer cars, by virtue of reducing engine deposits.

• zMAX helps to reduce engine wear on engine valve-stems and guides and piston rings and skirts, by virtue of reducing engine

deposits.

• zMAX helps to extend engine life, by virtue of reducing engine deposits.

Big Difference in what they were saying and what they can now say, IMO.

David.

I remember back in the day, we used to put a quart of tranny fluid in with the oil to free up sticky lifters and basically make the engine run smoother. Worked good when selling a car with a valve tap. Works kind of like Marvel Mystery Oil. Thats probably what the mystery is. Its just tranny fluid for 15 bucks a quart.

From 2001:

The FTC's complaint alleges that the defendants did not possess and rely on reasonable substantiation for the following claims in the infomercial, on the Web site and in brochures that zMax:

increases gas mileage;

increases gas mileage by a minimum of 10%

reduces engine wear;

reduces or eliminates engine wear at startup;

reduces engine corrosion;

extends engine life; and

reduces emissions.

The agency's complaint also alleges that the defendants falsely represent that the results of the CRC L38 test proved that zMax:

increases gas mileage;

reduces engine wear;

extends engine life;

lowers fuel consumption by 8.5%

lowers wear on valve stems by 66%

lowers wear on piston skirts by 60%; and

cuts carbon build-up on valve stems by 66%.

From 2003 : The Reversal

• zMAX soaks into metal.

• zMAX reduces friction.

• zMAX increases horsepower.

• zMAX dissipates engine heat.

• zMAX helps to improve or restore gas mileage and reduce emissions in older cars, by virtue of reducing engine deposits.

• zMAX helps to maintain gas mileage and emissions in newer cars, by virtue of reducing engine deposits.

• zMAX helps to reduce engine wear on engine valve-stems and guides and piston rings and skirts, by virtue of reducing engine

deposits.

• zMAX helps to extend engine life, by virtue of reducing engine deposits.

Big Difference in what they were saying and what they can now say, IMO.

David.

I agree, the Percentages & Terminology is what got them in trouble & forced them to pay back in 2001. I think they had to submit scientific research from a 3rd party to prove their claims.

I gotta tell ya... I put zMax in my car at the last oil change and have found a dramatic LOSS of gas mileage. :banghead: I used to get 21 to 22 around town. I now struggle to get 20 around town. I can wait to get to the next oil change and hopefully that stuff will go away with the draining of old Mobil 1...

Gary

I had a beater 1985 Toyota Camry as a commuter car in 1999. I bought it from the origianl owner for $650 to leave in the train staion parking lot each morning so my Roush Mustang wouldn't have to. The car had a low end knock for years according to the orig owner. He said it was oil filter dependent on how loud it would be. I used ZMAX in it after learning about it, Carroll endorsing it and adding it to every Series 1 that left the factory. When that rod let go and went through the bottom of the block (when i had my foot in it), the car continued to run on no oil and at highway speeds for over 5 miles into town. Started even the day i put it on my trailer to take it to the junk yard. Never seized.

I bought my Shelby Dakota in 1999. It had 4,500 miles on it. Sat for 9 years in a warehouse in Washington before I got it. Drove it to Ca where it needed smogged. It was 1 point from failing HC. It remained this way every 2 years when I would smog it with up to almost 10K on the clock. 2 trips over the grapevine to Van Nuys too. In 2006 I added ZMAX oil and fuel before going to the SAAC X in Vegas. Came back for a smog. Levels dropped to normal. Had it smogged last month with 11k miles, still good.

I gotta tell ya... I put zMax in my car at the last oil change and have found a dramatic LOSS of gas mileage. :banghead: I used to get 21 to 22 around town. I now struggle to get 20 around town. I can wait to get to the next oil change and hopefully that stuff will go away with the draining of old Mobil 1...

Gary

Not sure about your state, but I believe that here in California the forumla for gas changes during the year (winter versus summer). I dont pay much attention to my mileage - but have heard friends that track mileage complain that they get different mileage during the winter than during the summer.

IMHO from working with heat treated steel, I think zMax's claim works similar to case hardening of steel. I’m not sure what grade our steel is for the engine blocks, but the surface of flame-hardened medium-carbon type steel will have a poorer wear resistance then that of the same piece of steel with a higher richness of carbon-content of equal hardness. Most mild steels do not contain enough carbon in them to be able to just heat them up to make them harder. You can force carbon into the skin of metal to produce a piece of mild steel which has a harder outer casing containing more carbon than its inner core. Granted our internals don’t turn cherry red or bright red like they do doing heat treat but I think the theroy is close.

I think zMax has found a way which allows this micro lube to soak into the outer surface when the motor & parts get hot (just like in the commercial). During Heat treating you can produce a carbon rich skin on metal to a case thickness of about 1mm thick. Case hardening is used to add hardness to outside or resist wear and tear, but yet it’s softer on the inside to resist shock or sudden blows. If carbonization can be done to metal, why do you have a hard time believing that someone can’t figure out a way to allow a micro-lubricant to be absorbed into metal when heated up? Personally I think it does work because I have cross sectioned many parts & looked at them under a microscope in a lab to verify the induction of carbon into them for warranty claims & if carbon can be added to the skin so can a micro lubricant.

Archived