TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Official TSB #08-16-4: Clutch Drag REPAIR RESULTS

m81mclaren

I'd just be thankful that you have a dealer that seems willing to work with you....many others haven't been so lucky.

I am so sorry to hear you are having issue's with the clutch. I have done many of these and have never seen an issue like this. Sure sounds like a Bleed concern. The correct bleed procedure is in the above

sticky. If a new CSC and slave were installed something they did is not right. Keep us posted on the fix.

Ted

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would have to agree that they are doing some think wrong when bleeding it. My local Ford dealer did mine & several other TS members & I was present during the changes allowing me to take pictures for the owners & non of us have had a problem. Hope they find the problem , keep us posted.

Sounds like the dealer possibly bent the intermediate flywheel during the install of the clutch tsb. Ford has directed them to install another clutch and pressure plate assembly and to be careful not to rest the transmission on the input shaft which could bend the intermediate flywheel. The clutch not being fully released sounds like the intermediate flywheel is dragging slightly against a pressure plate causing the vehicle to move slightly in gear with the clutch fully depressed. They had the ford service engineer there yesterday and today taking notes, but they have not given the tech any direction yet as to how to proceed. I'll have to wait till Monday to hear what's next.

Sounds like the dealer possibly bent the intermediate flywheel during the install of the clutch tsb. Ford has directed them to install another clutch and pressure plate assembly and to be careful not to rest the transmission on the input shaft which could bend the intermediate flywheel. The clutch not being fully released sounds like the intermediate flywheel is dragging slightly against a pressure plate causing the vehicle to move slightly in gear with the clutch fully depressed. They had the ford service engineer there yesterday and today taking notes, but they have not given the tech any direction yet as to how to proceed. I'll have to wait till Monday to hear what's next.

The input shaft is part of the transmission. It slides into the center of the clutch. There is only one flywheel.

The input shaft on the tranny

Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts016.jpg

The center of the clutch. The splines match the input shaft

Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts009.jpg

Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts008.jpg

The flywheel bolts onto the back side of the engine bell housing.

Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts045.jpg

The clutch bolts onto the flywheel

Flywheelinstallation028.jpg

The tranny then threads into the center of the flywheel and clutch. If they do not align it right and force it, I bet they messed it up.

Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts028.jpg

The input shaft is part of the transmission. It slides into the center of the clutch. There is only one flywheel.

The input shaft on the tranny

Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts016.jpg

The center of the clutch. The splines match the input shaft

Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts009.jpg

Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts008.jpg

The flywheel bolts onto the back side of the engine bell housing.

Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts045.jpg

The clutch bolts onto the flywheel

The tranny then threads into the center of the flywheel and clutch. If they do not align it right and force it, I bet they messed it up.

Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts028.jpg

Grabber,

As always, I appreciate you chiming in. Yeah I'm assuming it's when they messed things up when they were trying to mount the transmission back in place. It's just hard to believe that they could have done that twice.... I'll keep you posted when I hear back on Monday...

The other thing that most techs's that are green on installing the clutch in these cars is that the tranny is huge and it has to go in and rotate a little bit to get it into position before they slide it into the bell housing. The other thing is that if the tech puts a little pressure om the front of the motor with another jack stand it will tilt the bell housing downward slightly and allow the tranny to thread on much easier.

Flywheelinstallation024.jpg

Flywheelinstallation023.jpg

Flywheelinstallation022.jpg

This pic shows the jack stand in the front of the motor. The shiny rod goes up to a wood block in the front of the motor to slightly cock the bell housing downward.

Flywheelinstallation075.jpg

Grabber,

As always, I appreciate you chiming in. Yeah I'm assuming it's when they messed things up when they were trying to mount the transmission back in place. It's just hard to believe that they could have done that twice.... I'll keep you posted when I hear back on Monday...

It's possible the vacuum bleeder has a problem and pumping the clutch pedel about 30 times will get the trapped air out.

Edit: The mechanic that did my first clutch had test driven my car and didn't notice anything wrong, then the car sat for a bit before I tried it out and I had a clutch sytem that felt like yours. Manager got in the car and pumped the clutch pedel about 30 times and everything was fine afterwards.

It's possible the vacuum bleeder has a problem and pumping the clutch pedel about 30 times will get the trapped air out.

Edit: The mechanic that did my first clutch had test driven my car and didn't notice anything wrong, then the car sat for a bit before I tried it out and I had a clutch sytem that felt like yours. Manager got in the car and pumped the clutch pedel about 30 times and everything was fine afterwards.

This one wasn't the same issue... in the notes, the ford engineer instructed the tech to pump the clutch 100-150 times. He said he did that, and to no avail.

So they've now had my DD for 2 weeks, and I've been driving this P.O.S. focus around. They've put two clutches, slaves, flywheels, and still they can't get it to work right. Now they have ordered all the parts again, this time with an input shaft that the ford service engineer that came and looked at it recommended. This is aggrevating as hell... especially after they told me initially on the first day that it was done and ready to go. I have a CAI/Pulley/tune, LCA, MGW shifter, Eibach pro-kit, and MRT h-pipe I've had for over a week now, and this issue keeps dragging out... They now have had the car longer than I have, which is very frustrating....

I can u/d your frustration. But be comforted by the fact that they are working at making it right. Now when I took mine in for its TSB, it sat outside in the garage lot for 2 weeks in the sun while waiting for parts, until the beginning of the third week when I yanked the car from them and put it in my garage unit the parts came in a week later. There always seems to be some kind of aggravating issue. Just be assured you are not alone. Hang in there.

I can u/d your frustration. But be comforted by the fact that they are working at making it right. Now when I took mine in for its TSB, it sat outside in the garage lot for 2 weeks in the sun while waiting for parts, until the beginning of the third week when I yanked the car from them and put it in my garage unit the parts came in a week later. There always seems to be some kind of aggravating issue. Just be assured you are not alone. Hang in there.

Yeah I hear you... there is just no end in sight it seems like. This situation is just really starting to make me regret buying the thing...

Yeah I hear you... there is just no end in sight it seems like. This situation is just really starting to make me regret buying the thing...

You are going to love it. Once it is fixed and you can begin your mods you will have nothing but miles of smiles. :)

• 11 months later...

Guys i need your input on this TSB 08-16-4. I had the Clucth,flywheel,pilot bearingand bleed clu done back on 4/21/2010 for my 08 GT 500.

I had no knowledge of this TSB at the time of repair at my local ford dealer. I paid out of pocket for the repair. Is there any recourse to getting

a refund. I have the receipt from my dealer.

thanks

Kevin

Guys i need your input on this TSB 08-16-4. I had the Clucth,flywheel,pilot bearingand bleed clu done back on 4/21/2010 for my 08 GT 500.

I had no knowledge of this TSB at the time of repair at my local ford dealer. I paid out of pocket for the repair. Is there any recourse to getting

a refund. I have the receipt from my dealer.

thanks

Kevin

What does the paperwork show? If the tech simply wrote down "worn clutch disc" as the reason for the repair, I'm afraid you're out of luck. Which dealer did you use?

Check for Clutch slipping from 2nd to 3rd gear ...this is what is on the invoice. Rogers Ford

I would say that there is nothing you can do. I wish it said something like "grinding" or "creeping from a stop".

• 6 months later...

I'd also be interested in the diagnosis via VIN? My VIN is 1ZVHT88S995131116, the sticker shows a build date of 8/11/08. Just a curiosity question, but from where did you achieve your high pedigree on performance Shelby vehicles, Mr. Grabber?

I'd also be interested in the diagnosis via VIN? My VIN is 1ZVHT88S995131116, the sticker shows a build date of 8/11/08. Just a curiosity question, but from where did you achieve your high pedigree on performance Shelby vehicles, Mr. Grabber?

I just learned from experience and working & inter acting with experienced people.

Archived