TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Official TSB #08-16-4: Clutch Drag REPAIR RESULTS

m81mclaren

11/3 UPDATE- I took the liberty of going through all the posts to try and update all the issues by user in this first post. If you need to add/change/remove info. please cut and paste the info I started below and add it to a new post with updates.

----------------------

I'd like to use this forum to track results and provide feedback from those that have had the TSB repair completed. By documenting the results we can get some data on whether the repairs last and if they cure the issues identified with the flywheel/clutch/tranny.

USE THE BELOW EXAMPLE. I will update your posts to POST #1 to make it easy. I'm open to suggestions to make this more valuable to track (poll?)!

Username-

YEAR- 200X

Current Mileage:

Symptoms (clutch drag, grinding, chatter, etc.)-

TSB items actually installed (please indicate if you also have previously received a new transmission)

Results after 100 Mi.

Results after 500 Mi.

Results after 1k Mi.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Username- m81mclaren

Year- 2007

Current Mileage- 7,642 on 02/13/09

Symptoms (clutch drag, grinding, chatter, failed hiss test, etc.)- all!

TSB items actually installed (please indicate if you also have previously received a new transmission): 08/14/08-Just Flywheel and clutch

-I have the 2nd generation Tranny with 1K on it.

Results after 100 Mi.- failed hiss test, VERY firm pedal, chatter back after 20 mi. warmup. Now suspect Master/Slave cylinder

Results after 150 mi.- pumped clutch & brake 20 times prior to start. Passed hiss test this time. Drive 20 miles for 40 minutes. Acceptable chatter, occasional 2nd- 3rd light grind, clutch pedal got progressively firmer and clucth engagement at the top of the pedal. Will be taking back tomorrow for a drive with the tech.

Results after 1k Mi.- spurratic hiss failers. Very firm pedal. Notchy shifting in first and and 3rd. Chatter is back and now unacceptable after 20-30 min sprited or commute drive. Occasional light 2-3rd grinding 2 really bad ones. Regional Engineer says it's normal and dealership refused repair even though he acknowledges there is a probem. Shipped to Southern CA dealer for TSB attempt #3 pending results.

11/08- TSB attempt #3. 6,848 miles

Symptoms (clutch drag, grinding, chatter, etc.)- strong chatter, very mild grind into 2nd and 3rd. Stiffness/notchiness getting into first from stop (going down to 2nd before moving lever to first helps).

TSB items actually installed (please indicate if you also have previously received a new transmission): Current gen new transmission, FULL TSB this time incl rebuild kit but even though I requested, no CSC replacement (last time I received new gen tranny, lube, OLD STYLE clutch & flywheel, bearing etc.).

Results after 100 Mi.- acceptable mild chatter in first if not 100% focused, some "notchiness" getting into first. Passes Hiss test. No mods, no racing, no powershifting, some spirited driving. Most of my miles are with kids in the back seat. I am pretty happy with the result (I was with TSB try #2 too) but wish for the buttery smooth shifting Grabber has and elimination of the ceramic chatter. I am concerned that symptoms will return and that the CSC or some other non TSB part was the primary cause. Will drive and enjoy for now.

Results after 500 Mi.- 02/13/09- just crawled under and confirmed that TSB #3 has the new flywheel. Due to some chatter I was concerned that the flywheel used on TSB#3 was old stock but am please to know that the right one is in there. Some chatter, still occasionally difficult to get into 2nd or 1st. Clutch pedal engagement is at the top and only requires 1/3 travel for full engagement. If I push to the floor and let out, the pedal goes 2/3 until I can feel it start to engage. Seems off to me. I now notice a squeeling pig (metal on metal) sound when I shift @ 4K rpms or if I ride in second evenly and slowly up to 4K rpms the squeel appears @ 4K rpms and lasts to 4,500rpms. This may be related to the alternator squeel others have found with some mileage.

Results after 1k Mi.- TBD

Username- Grabber

YEAR : 2007

Symptoms (clutch drag, grinding, chatter, etc.) : Clutch Chatter

TSB items actually installed (please indicate if you also have previously received a new transmission): I have the 2nd generation Tranny already, so I just needed the new flywheel and another new nickel hub clutch and the pilot bearing replaced.

Results after 100 Mi. : Clutch pedal is not loose anywhere, even at the top of the pedal. It's firm, but not stiff at all. It feels just right.

I have done the hiss test several times. No hissing in nuetral with the clutch depressed. This is good.

Starting out in first gear with low RPM's....there is no clutch chatter at all. Starting out in 1st gear with mid RPM's feels great too.

The shifting is very good at all RPM's. There is no bumping of the syncros or crunching feel. I can feel the shift go into the gear with a positive engagement. I am trying to explain what the shift feels like, and the best I can do is say that it feels like a silent click when it goes into gear. Like it was meant to be.

160 mi. UPDATED IMPRESSIONS: HISS TEST PASSED.

The shifting was all smooth. Never bumped any syncros or missed a beat. The temp was 97 here today, so it was nice and hot.

RESULTS: I now have 260 miles on my TSB work and I could not be happier.

9/19 update- 300 miles- It's been over a month since I have had my car out for a drive due to my county roads being full of rocks from a chip seal job. The rocks are now gone so I can drive my car. I put 40 fun miles on the car tonight. The shifting is still smooth. The clutch action is smooth. I did the infamous hiss test and it passed with flying colors.

10/19 updade: I now have 550 miles on the TSB and I would say it's fully broken in. We put 150 miles of agressive driving on twistie roads and long mountin straight aways. My TSB on my car is working and preforming awesome.

Results after 1k Mi. : pending

Username- Owenkelley

Year: 2007

Symptoms: Occasional grinding when shifting quickly

TSB items actually installed (please indicate if you also have previously received a new transmission):???

Items installed: Pressure Plate, clutch assembly, Transmission (TSB PERFORMED????)

Results after 100 miles: Shifts great, still chatters once warmed up

Results after 1000 miles: Same as above

Results after 3300 miles: Same as above.

Username- MarionCobretti

2008 shelby gt500

Purchased in April

Black with grey stripes

Modded with Steeda CAI, JDM sct2 tune, Colder plugs, 2.6 pulley with 800 miles

Began at 1500 miles grinding while going into second anywhere above 4500 rpms

Billy Wood ford in Jena repaired with the info help of Travis @ Difeo Ford( BIG THANKS)

Replaced with new flywheel, clutch, pilot bearing, tranny and hardware

Results after 500 Mi.: pending

Username- CRQuarto

YEAR : 2008

Symptoms (clutch drag, grinding, chatter, etc.) : Clutch Chatter, extremely hard shifting (ramming it through the gates driving normally), clutch dragging in neutral, grinding, hard shuttering on neutral-1 and 1-2 shifts.

TSB items actually installed (please indicate if you also have previously received a new transmission): Already have the 2nd generation transmission. FULL TSB ITEMS. Items intalled are show in below picture of the work order.

Results after 100 Mi. : Smooth as silk, easy shifting with absolutely no chatter, drag, ect. VERY sensitive now, I have to relearn the car all over again...ahh, it's a labor of love! (Yes, I put 100 miles on it already today...Galpin is about 60 miles from me, plus I drove all over town running errands hehe...)

Update 8/14: My car failed the hiss test today after driving in to work in stop and go traffic. Suspect MC/SC.

Results after 1k Mi. : Pending

Username- RIRENTERGT500 August 28, 2008

YEAR- 200?

TSB items actually installed (please indicate if you also have previously received a new transmission)-??

Results after 100 Mi.- Just got my car back from the dealer. The clutch feels so much better. The clutch pedal is softer that butter, I still have some chatter during low rpm 1st and 2nd gear, but not even close to as much as before. The shifting is so much more smoother no more grinding. I am very happy with the end product.

Addtl info 9/2- At idle the clutch chatters more than before. The engagement of the clutch is almost at the top. While sitting on a hill waiting for the traffic light, I am having to give it more gas just to get it moving. I get chatter in first and second gear up to 1800 rpms. Not sure what the problem is. Any Ideas? My pedal as well was very very loose when i got the car back from the dealer, but it has slowely gotten harder.

Results after 1k Mi.-

Username-tlitz 2,787 miles August 30, 2008

YEAR- 200?

TSB items actually installed (please indicate if you also have previously received a new transmission)

Results after 100 Mi.

Results after 1k Mi.

Username- Joker45 August 30, 2008

YEAR- 2008

Symptoms (clutch drag, grinding, chatter, etc.)- ???

Results after 100 Mi.

Results after 1k Mi.

Username- sprint200

YEAR- 200?

Symptoms (clutch drag, grinding, chatter, etc.)- chatter, grinding?

Results after 100 Mi.- Clutch action is still smooth, no chatter, no grinding. It's a heck of a lot easier to load on the trailer this way I'm having to get used to where the clutch engages on the pedal stroke. I missed a couple of 2nd to 3rd shifts because I was not getting the pedal low enough for the new setup. I moved my seat forward just a tick and problem solved. 9/13/08- SPE found 2 bolts missing from cross member from TSB dealer repair.

Results after 1k Mi.- 10/5- 2k on long trip. Everything is still working great. My wife even commented that she liked the new clutch way better than the old one.

Username- Willie 8/29/08

YEAR- 2008

Symptoms (clutch drag, grinding, chatter, etc.)- missed gears and burned clutch smell, 8/30 Catastrophic clutch failure. Cannot get it into any gear with engine running.

Results after 100 Mi.

Results after 1k Mi.

Username- SPRSNK 9/1/08 2,000 miles

YEAR- 2008 Vert

Symptoms (clutch drag, grinding, chatter, etc.)- Chatter and Grinding

Results after 100 Mi. It's chatter and transmission noise is worse than before. Time for round 2 at the dealership.

Results after 1k Mi.

Username- SPRSNK 9/1/08 3,900 mi.

YEAR- 2008 Coupe

Symptoms (clutch drag, grinding, chatter, etc.)- Grinding and chatter

ALL TSB items

Results after 100 Mi.- Alright so far.

Username- GT500FLYBOY

YEAR- 2008

Symptoms (clutch drag, grinding, chatter, etc.)- clutch drag

TSB items actually installed (please indicate if you also have previously received a new transmission)- initially new clutch and replacement transmission.

As of 9/2- another TSB repair, rebuild new transmission

Results after 100 Mi.- as of 9/3 What a difference. I have no trouble getting into any gear now - and it is very smooth. Very precise and confident with the shifting now. You may have noticed I never did say that when the tranny was installed back in June. I don't believe the clutch and flywheel were installed correctly. The tech also found the pilot bearing had some slight damage to it. I'll put a pic up later. The tech felt they must have had trouble installing the tranny last time. He said this may be yet another thing that could hangup the clutch on the input shaft.

Results after 1k Mi.

Username- CHUCK

YEAR- 200?? Mi. on car

Symptoms (clutch drag, grinding, chatter, etc.)- grinding/chatter

TSB items actually installed (please indicate if you also have previously received a new transmission): ???

Results after 100 Mi.- 9/26 The clutch chatter is completely gone. First-second shifts are very smooth with no grinding whatsoever. It also feels as though the car may even have a little extra kick after dumping the clutch from first to second and second to third.

Results after 1k Mi.

Username- BadTony 9/4/08

YEAR- 200?

Results after 100 Mi.

Results after 1k Mi.

Username- Light66 9/5/08

YEAR- 2008

TSB items actually installed (please indicate if you also have previously received a new transmission)- In PROGRESS AS OF 9/5/08

Results after 100 Mi.

Results after 1k Mi.

Username- 08RedGT500 9/9/08

YEAR- 2008

Symptoms (clutch drag, grinding, chatter, etc.)- ??

TSB items actually installed (please indicate if you also have previously received a new transmission)-

Results after 100 Mi.- 9/16/08 TSB completed today!!! Fly wheel, clutch and slave cylinder. I already have the 8175 tranny, and the SVT development engineer that FMC flew out from Flat Rock to look at the car and oversee the repairs felt that the tranny was fine, and I agreed. I have about 100 miles on the TSB parts so far, all today. The difference is unbelievable! With the exception of a soft pedal, still bleeding the air out; I am totally satisfied. I have noticed a new slight clunk when I engage the clutch to shift.

9/17 update- pumped clutch bled excercise helped with pedal feel

9/24 update: 250 miles- Had an objective third party, very qualified, look at and drive the car. He confirmed that all was well with the drive line, and could not find any unusual or out of the expected noises coming from the areas worked on during the TSB work. My suspension is noisier due to new UCA, and so on; which is to be be expected. The vibrations I felt in the shifter are due to the new FRPP short throw shifter 'transmitting' more vibration due to harder linkage, again to be expected and normal. The car's driving experience is great overall, and I am totally pleased with Ford now.

Username- CoSGT500

YEAR- 2007

Results after 100 Mi.

Results after 1k Mi.

Username- BRIANSPONY 9,000 miles

YEAR- 200?

Symptoms (clutch drag, grinding, chatter, etc.)- clicking\crunching, high pedal

9/15/08- TSB DENIED!

Results after 100 Mi.

Results after 1k Mi.

Username- nsstang 9/15/08

YEAR- 2007

TSB items actually installed (please indicate if you also have previously received a new transmission)-

TBD but looks like clutch and NEW early build transmission

Results after 100 Mi.- ???

Results after 1k Mi.

Username- DOCTORJAY 9/16/08

YEAR- 2008 VERT.

Symptoms (clutch drag, grinding, chatter, etc.)- stutter/shudder on take up in 1st gear

TSB items actually installed (please indicate if you also have previously received a new transmission)- FULL TSB INCLUDING TRANS KIT

Results after 100 Mi.- First impression is - smooth. The clutch is soft, releases very early in the pedal and there is no more jumpiness, no more jerky engagement especially going into reverse and coming from a stop in first. 9/17- The stutter/shudder on take up in 1st gear is totally gone. Did not realize how much I had come to expect/anticipate that every stop sign or stop light would lead to the feeling I was about to stall the car. It wasn't me - it was the car - and now it is amazing. Still a little tight sometimes getting into reverse, but takes off smoothly every time. I too have a very faint click (not a clunk at all) every time I depress the clutch. Can't even hear it if the top is down or music is on. Sounds like it is in pedal or a very nearby linkage. The pedal is less soft than yesterday, but I may just be getting used to it already. About 125 miles since picking it up. On the highway I did kick some boost, not WOT, from 2nd through 4th, and thought I heard a funny sound shifting from 3-4. Almost like a whiz or whir as 4th came on. Not sure. Will try and duplicate it on the way home today. Now 3 days into 'life after the TSB' and still amazed at what a difference it makes (no chatter on take off from first or reverse, actually feels like I gained some power too).

Username- COBRA SCOTTY 9/17/08

YEAR- 2008 VERT 3,402mi.

Symptoms (clutch drag, grinding, chatter, etc.)- ALMOST NO ABLILTY TO GET THE CAR IN TO 1ST OR REVERSE WITHOUT GRINDING. I ALSO HAVE CLUTCH SLIPPAGE

Results after 100 Mi.-

Results after 1k Mi.

Username- 1268

YEAR- 200?

Symptoms (clutch drag, grinding, chatter, etc.)- clutch chatter...tougher to get into first/reverse than other gears and it failed Grabber's clutch test

TSB items actually installed (please indicate if you also have previously received a new transmission): 10/24 complete TSB plus slave cylinder replaced

Results after 100 Mi.- TBD

Results after 1k Mi.

Username- DAVID067

YEAR- 200? 35,300 miles

TSB items actually installed (please indicate if you also have previously received a new transmission): ALL TSB BUT NOT TRANS KIT

Results after 100 Mi.-

Results after 1k Mi.

Username- EXPcustom

YEAR- 2007 with 1st gen trans.

TSB items actually installed (please indicate if you also have previously received a new transmission): TSB approved as of 10/15/08

Results after 100 Mi.

Results after 1k Mi.

Username- Raw Power

YEAR- 2007 Vert 1,600 miles

TSB items actually installed (please indicate if you also have previously received a new transmission): TSB pending completion 10/16/08 parts on back order

Results after 100 Mi.

Results after 1k Mi.

Username- vapor08GT500

YEAR- 2008 less than 3,000 as of 10/19/08

TSB items actually installed (please indicate if you also have previously received a new transmission): 10/19 full TSB done, 10/2? back in to replace CSC (throwout bearing)

Results after 100 Mi.- Clutch seems great, tranny shifts great, very little chatter, however, throw out bearing still making noise when warm idling in nuetral

Results after 1k Mi.- As of 10/31- 1200 miles later, I am thrilled with the TSB...no more sticking, no more grinding, much less chatter, and no hiss.

Username- al ellison

YEAR- 2007

Symptoms (clutch drag, grinding, chatter, etc.)- 3rd gear grind

TSB items actually installed (please indicate if you also have previously received a new transmission): clutch replaced in 03/8, full TSB in 09/08 then 2 weeks later 3rd gear grind= NEW TRANS INSTALLED

Results after 100 Mi.- TBD?

Results after 1k Mi.

Username- ZPORTA

YEAR- 200?

TSB items actually installed (please indicate if you also have previously received a new transmission): 10/22 pending TSB approval from anotehr dealer after initial dealer was clueless

INITIAL RESULTS- 10/29 The car feels great I only got to put 15 miles on it but the gears feel super smooth and this clutch feels softer. all the symptoms are gone.

Results after 100 Mi.-

Results after 1k Mi.

Username- wnenn

YEAR- 200?

Symptoms (clutch drag, grinding, chatter, etc.)- ???

TSB items actually installed (please indicate if you also have previously received a new transmission): 10/28 TSB in process. discovered another bad part. The throw out bearing wasn't staying in the middle

Results after 100 Mi.

Results after 1k Mi.

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have an appointment to bring my car in tomorrow morning to Galpin for the full TSB service. I talked to my tech, he said every single component will be switched out regardless to ensure that I have the newest and best pieces in it. I will also be getting my first service done. I will post the results here when I get the car back.

08 Blue GT500. Built in Sept 07.

Clutch grinding/hard to shift

No TSB items installed yet. Parts ordered yesterday. Should be in the shop next week.

FRPP shifter to be installed at same time.

08 Red Vert. Built in...Not sure. Haven't looked.

Clutch grinding/getting hard to shift. Just like it started on the blue one. Should be in the shop next week.

No TSB items installed yet. Parts ordered yesterday.

FRPP shifter to be installed at the same time.

I guess I am the first one to have the TSB done and post results:

YEAR : 2007

Symptoms (clutch drag, grinding, chatter, etc.) : Clutch Chatter

TSB items actually installed (please indicate if you also have previously received a new transmission): I have the 2nd generation Tranny already, so I just needed the new flywheel and another new nickel hub clutch and the pilot bearing replaced.

Results after 100 Mi. : pending

Results after 1k Mi. : pending

It's running great. :happy feet:

Here is some pic's of the parts:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...ic=32271&hl=

Rob,

First off, I am new here and I would like to thank you for all the information and photo documentation you post here. I find it very helpful, thank you!

On to my question, I have an 08 GT500 that I bought new in June of this year, build date 4/08. I am having a rough time getting used to letting the clutch out in 1st and reverse (especially if the car is on even the slightest incline). I have read the posts of many others here having the same difficulty, shaking, vibration etc... an old truck I had would act this way when the throw-out bearing would go bad. When the car is cold the clutch is smooth as silk, but drive it a while and get it hot and it's shake city on take off. Also, with the car running and the tranny in neutral I get that hissing sound while the clutch pedal is fully pressed to the floor. The hissing starts 2 or 3 seconds after the clutch pedal is fully depressed (I notice it more when car is hot). So far I haven't had any issues shifting up through the gears, it is very smooth.

Does this sound like something TSB #08-16-4 would fix? Did you ever have this "shaking" issue and did the new parts fix it if you did?

Thanks again,

Chip

:lurk:

I bought my '08 in June also and what you describe fits what I have experienced also. The clutch chatter drives me nuts! I read the TSB and don't see chutch chatter specifically mentioned but I think I'm gonna take it in, mention the TSB, and see what happens...

Pat

Rob,

First off, I am new here and I would like to thank you for all the information and photo documentation you post here. I find it very helpful, thank you!

On to my question, I have an 08 GT500 that I bought new in June of this year, build date 4/08. I am having a rough time getting used to letting the clutch out in 1st and reverse (especially if the car is on even the slightest incline). I have read the posts of many others here having the same difficulty, shaking, vibration etc... an old truck I had would act this way when the throw-out bearing would go bad. When the car is cold the clutch is smooth as silk, but drive it a while and get it hot and it's shake city on take off. Also, with the car running and the tranny in neutral I get that hissing sound while the clutch pedal is fully pressed to the floor. The hissing starts 2 or 3 seconds after the clutch pedal is fully depressed (I notice it more when car is hot). So far I haven't had any issues shifting up through the gears, it is very smooth.

Does this sound like something TSB #08-16-4 would fix? Did you ever have this "shaking" issue and did the new parts fix it if you did?

Thanks again,

Chip

Rob,

Thanks again,

Chip

Chip,

You have the symptoms that I had. You need to take your car in to get it repaired. Also see this clutch test thread that I did last year when I noticed the problem. You have the same problem.

You will be happy after the repair and your problems will be solved.

Rob

I have the new clutch, pressure plate and transmission, they were installed this last March. The car shifts great, but I still have clutch chatter after the car has warmed up.

Items installed: Pressure Plate, clutch assembly, Transmission

My car was appraoching the end of it's 12 month warranty, so I took it in to have the potential clutch issues addressed because I didn't want to find out that it was just a clutch disc problem and that clutches are only covered under the 12 month 12,000 mile warranty. I was very surprised to find out that they had ordered all those new parts for my car, but I felt Ford and my dealership took good care of me. I was hoping that the chatter would go away, but I remember being told when they were first being delivered that these clutches were touchy, but I thought I'd be better at it by now! I drive my old cars with nice smooth clutches, then I get in the new one which you would expect to be easier to drive and it's not! Maybe they'll eventually come up with a smoother clutch assembly, but I'd hate to have to pay for it! I was told it's about a $3500 job to put a clutch in one of these!

I have the new clutch, pressure plate and transmission, they were installed this last March. The car shifts great, but I still have clutch chatter after the car has warmed up.

My car was appraoching the end of it's 12 month warranty, so I took it in to have the potential clutch issues addressed because I didn't want to find out that it was just a clutch disc problem and that clutches are only covered under the 12 month 12,000 mile warranty. I was very surprised to find out that they had ordered all those new parts for my car, but I felt Ford and my dealership took good care of me. I was hoping that the chatter would go away, but I remember being told when they were first being delivered that these clutches were touchy, but I thought I'd be better at it by now! I drive my old cars with nice smooth clutches, then I get in the new one which you would expect to be easier to drive and it's not! Maybe they'll eventually come up with a smoother clutch assembly, but I'd hate to have to pay for it! I was told it's about a $3500 job to put a clutch in one of these!

IMO you have a slight warp in your flywheel, and when it heats up, it gets alittle worse, and that's why the clutch chatter increases.

Chip,

You have the symptoms that I had. You need to take your car in to get it repaired. Also see this clutch test thread that I did last year when I noticed the problem. You have the same problem.

You will be happy after the repair and your problems will be solved.

Rob

Darn, I was thinking that I escaped the problem. Well, it is good to know that this is probably a problem with the car and not my driving.

Thanks,

Chip

Darn, I was thinking that I escaped the problem. Well, it is good to know that this is probably a problem with the car and not my driving.

Thanks,

Chip

The fact that your car hisses for 2-3 seconds in nuetral when you push the pedal in means that your clutch is dragging, and when you go to shift while you are driving it, you get a little syncro bump because your clutch is still loaded with engine torque. This is not good, and sooner or later...your clutch will fail and the tranny will be damaged.

2008 shelby gt500

Purchased in April

Black with grey stripes

Modded with Steeda CAI, JDM sct2 tune, Colder plugs, 2.6 pulley with 800 miles

Began at 1500 miles grinding while going into second anywhere above 4500 rpms

Billy Wood ford in Jena repaired with the info help of Travis @ Difeo Ford( BIG THANKS)

Replaced with new flywheel, clutch, pilot bearing, tranny and hardware

Upon repair they said tha the original pilot bearing was not even there and the clutch was wearing on crooked on flywheel

I got the car back this past wednes, and it has been doing good since then. Put all mods back on including magnaflow 3'' catback, BMR LCA instant center brackets adn driveshaft loop. All in all the car performs much better than before, IDK if that was due to possible slippage before and me not noticing it or that cat back help that much more but DEFINATELY runs better

Symptoms (clutch drag, grinding, chatter, etc.) : Clutch Chatter, extremely hard shifting (ramming it through the gates driving normally), clutch dragging in neutral, grinding, hard shuttering on neutral-1 and 1-2 shifts.

TSB items actually installed (please indicate if you also have previously received a new transmission): Already have the 2nd generation transmission. Items intalled are show in below picture of the work order.

Results after 100 Mi. : Smooth as silk, easy shifting with absolutely no chatter, drag, ect. VERY sensitive now, I have to relearn the car all over again...ahh, it's a labor of love! (Yes, I put 100 miles on it already today...Galpin is about 60 miles from me, plus I drove all over town running errands hehe...)

DSC00606.jpg

I think it is smart to get the problems fixed sooner than later but I do not understand why 12000 miles / 12 months is a theshold of concern. I can't find any refernces in the warrantee book regarding 12000 or 12 month. Only mentions 36,000 mile/3 year as the first time coverage is reduced.

Did you find something different, or anyone else out there?

TSB items actually installed (please indicate if you also have previously received a new transmission): Already have the 2nd generation transmission. Items intalled are show in below picture of the work order.

DSC00606.jpg

Wow,

Thanks for posting the invoice. That's a chunk of change I don't want to fork out. I'm glad your car is fixed and running great again.

$5,078.82

Sorry guys but I was unable to pick up the car until Friday late and now is my first second of free time. I have the 2nd generation Tranny too with 1 K on it, so they just replaced the flywheel and clutch. My initial impression is that the clutch still feels a bit stiff but no chatter (!!!!!) in the 3 mile drive home even when I tried to bog it a little at the start! I did not get to see my invoice yet as there are other items to be fixed and they will give me the whole lot of paperwork when I bring it back for repair then. Frankly, I was upset that none of the paperwork was even available for me to look at but happy they got my car done for me to drive this weekend. I will spend then next couple of hours evaluating it fully! I'll start by pumping up the clutch before starting, then do a hiss test. On a side note, I have significant wear on the carpet just below the gas pedal. This is being replaced under warranty. Anyone else have this?

---Edit update 1PM Sunday--- I pumped the clutch 20 times before startup. After startup I do the hiss test. I notice mild hissing in neutral when depressing clutch fully. It is loud the first 2-3 seconds (not squeeling pig sound!) then quiets down but is still there. The first 10 miles or so were amazing. Shifting smooth, clutch felt unbelievably good with firm action but consistent engagement location each time. 2nd and 3rd shifts were great. ZERO CHATTER! Then, after 20 miles of spirited country driving the behavior changes dramatically. Pedal action VERY FIRM throughout the range & engagement at the very top of the pedal travel. Shift action is notchy like it's fighting me. Chatter is back. WTH?! The only way to describe it is that the line pressure for the hydrolic system has pumped up too much and made the shift action inconsistent. I parked it with 48.9 on the odo since the repair. I shut down, pump the clutch 20 times and start it back up. No hissing in the neutral hiss test. I'm bumming hard since the initial part of my drive was so great. Wish another local gt500'er would come by and drive it to validate. Wish you were local Grabber! I'll let it cool down and go try again after lunch.

--Edit #2- 10Am Wednesday- pumped clutch before start. Failed hiss test.Ran great the first 15 minutes then afterwards I have the firm pedal and some chatter. Looks like the new parts are nice to haves, but something else is going on here.

YEAR- 2007

Symptoms (clutch drag, grinding, chatter, etc.)- all of the above even after complete replacement of all items.

I have the 2nd generation Tranny too with 1 K on it, so they just replaced the flywheel and clutch.

Results after 100 Mi.- TBD today! See above for 50 mi. impression.

I have now completed my first 100 miles on my new clutch and flywheel.

Impressions:

Clutch pedal is not loose anywhere, even at the top of the pedal. It's firm, but not stiff at all. It feels just right.

I have done the hiss test several times. No hissing in nuetral with the clutch depressed. This is good.

Starting out in first gear with low RPM's....there is no clutch chatter at all. Starting out in 1st gear with mid RPM's feels great too.

The shifting is very good at all RPM's. There is no bumping of the syncros or crunching feel. I can feel the shift go into the gear with a positive engagement. I am trying to explain what the shift feels like, and the best I can do is say that it feels like a silent click when it goes into gear. Like it was meant to be.

Sorry guys but I was unable to pick up the car until Friday late and now is my first second of free time. I have the 2nd generation Tranny too with 1 K on it, so they just replaced the flywheel and clutch. My initial impression is that the clutch still feels a bit stiff but no chatter (!!!!!) in the 3 mile drive home even when I tried to bog it a little at the start! I did not get to see my invoice yet as there are other items to be fixed and they will give me the whole lot of paperwork when I bring it back for repair then. Frankly, I was upset that none of the paperwork was even available for me to look at but happy they got my car done for me to drive this weekend. I will spend then next couple of hours evaluating it fully! I'll start by pumping up the clutch before starting, then do a hiss test. On a side note, I have significant wear on the carpet just below the gas pedal. This is being replaced under warranty. Anyone else have this?

---Edit update 1PM Sunday--- I pumped the clutch 20 times before startup. After startup I do the hiss test. I notice mild hissing in neutral when depressing clutch fully. It is loud the first 2-3 seconds (not squeeling pig sound!) then quiets down but is still there. The first 10 miles or so were amazing. Shifting smooth, clutch felt unbelievably good with firm action but consistent engagement location each time. 2nd and 3rd shifts were great. ZERO CHATTER! Then, after 20 miles of spirited country driving the behavior changes dramatically. Pedal action VERY FIRM throughout the range & engagement at the very top of the pedal travel. Shift action is notchy like it's fighting me. Chatter is back. WTH?! The only way to describe it is that the line pressure for the hydrolic system has pumped up too much and made the shift action inconsistent. I parked it with 48.9 on the odo since the repair. I shut down, pump the clutch 20 times and start it back up. No hissing in the neutral hiss test. I'm bumming hard since the initial part of my drive was so great. Wish another local gt500'er would come by and drive it to validate. Wish you were local Grabber! I'll let it cool down and go try again after lunch.

YEAR- 2007

Symptoms (clutch drag, grinding, chatter, etc.)- all of the above even after complete replacement of all items.

I have the 2nd generation Tranny too with 1 K on it, so they just replaced the flywheel and clutch.

Results after 100 Mi.- TBD today! See above for 50 mi. impression.

Ditto......

On the 2nd gen tranny with flywheel (same as TSB) and clutch (not same as TSB) with around 500 miles on it. At first after repairs...nice and smooth. Yesterdays nice long sunny drive, i noticed the bumping in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and sometimes reverse :censored: Noticed that after i wait a minute or two at the light, it'll shift into first smooth (remembering what i believe Rob (it was you right?) said about eng torque winding down. Time for the dealer chat :censored::banghead:

Ditto......

On the 2nd gen tranny with flywheel (same as TSB) and clutch (not same as TSB) with around 500 miles on it. At first after repairs...nice and smooth. Yesterdays nice long sunny drive, i noticed the bumping in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and sometimes reverse :censored: Noticed that after i wait a minute or two at the light, it'll shift into first smooth (remembering what i believe Rob (it was you right?) said about eng torque winding down. Time for the dealer chat :censored::banghead:

What date did you get the new flywheel installed?

--Edit #2- 10Am Wednesday- pumped clutch before start. Failed hiss test.Ran great the first 15 minutes then afterwards I have the firm pedal and some chatter. Looks like the new parts are nice to haves, but something else is going on here.

The pedal should be firm and not loose.

What is your dealer telling you?

Mine is running great so far, and I don't understand why yours is not. Alot of engineering went into this fix.

The pedal should be firm and not loose.

What is your dealer telling you?

Mine is running great so far, and I don't understand why yours is not. Alot of engineering went into this fix.

I know this car well and love it. I asked them to call the regional rep to get involved in the process. I suspect that something else may be the culprit since most of the major items have been replaced. I only need to push in 1/6 to get complete clutch action. I suspect that the clutch is not fully releasing and is dragging slightly (I assume this since it fails the hiss test) and heats up the flywheel too much and creates the chatter. I am not a mechanic so this is merely a guess. Why is it that after the complete replacement of clutch/tranny/flywheel/bolts/lube last go around it was great (light pedal, normal range, consistent engagement) for the first drive then things go to SH*%? Same thing this time. I pick it up after the partial TSB, no chatter, light clutch, normal engagement, then I drive it for 20 miles and I am back where I started? I don't get it. While the car is drivable I am very concerned that all these expensive replacement parts won't last and in the meantime, what fun is a car to drive if it only works well 20 miles at a time? I would welcome a fellow local Gt500 owner to drive it and confirm my concerns.

I know this car well and love it. I asked them to call the regional rep to get involved in the process. I suspect that something else may be the culprit since most of the major items have been replaced. I only need to push in 1/6 to get complete clutch action. I suspect that the clutch is not fully releasing and is dragging slightly (I assume this since it fails the hiss test) and heats up the flywheel too much and creates the chatter. I am not a mechanic so this is merely a guess. Why is it that after the complete replacement of clutch/tranny/flywheel/bolts/lube last go around it was great (light pedal, normal range, consistent engagement) for the first drive then things go to SH*%? Same thing this time. I pick it up after the partial TSB, no chatter, light clutch, normal engagement, then I drive it for 20 miles and I am back where I started? I don't get it. While the car is drivable I am very concerned that all these expensive replacement parts won't last and in the meantime, what fun is a car to drive if it only works well 20 miles at a time? I would welcome a fellow local Gt500 owner to drive it and confirm my concerns.

Do you live by Son of GT ?

Maybe the clutch has not been blead properly. My guy did the proceedure 6 times to make sure all the air is out.

Called the Frederick, MD Ford dealer Service dept. this AM to inform them that I needed the TSB work done, which represents about $5K out of pocket for Ford per vehicle. They met with me, we went for a drive, I drove, with the Service Manager in the right seat. The car was not that warm so the full symptoms were not as apparent as they can be after a few hours. I calmly and succinctly explained the issues I had over this past weekend when I took the car for its first long road trip, from MD to CT. He sat there quietly listening and watching me very carefully on how I shifted and handled the clutch. We got back to the dealership and he told his asst. service manager to 'order the parts for full TSB'! They will do the entire TSB #08-16-4 in a week or so when the parts come in. No balking on the warranty work or this issue that has been clearly identified by Ford & SVT. I am very pleased with the initial result. I did not purchase the car at this dealership, mainly because they didn't have any when I was shopping for one. It is refreshing to have a dealership, that made absolutely no money off of me, stand behind Ford products regardless of where they were purchased. I know there is no solid requirement for service to be performed, warranty or otherwise, by the dealer that you purchased the car from; but in reality, sometimes, getting warranty service done at a dealer in the same area, but not where you purchased, can be very challenging. Not this time, they didn't hesitate at all! Thank you Frederick Motors for standing firmly behind Ford products regardless of where they were purchased! My next Ford purchase will certainly be there if I still live in this part of the country.

M1 and GR8, it sounds like your Master and/or Slave cylinder need to be replaced too. My MC was replaced because it failed while the car was still on the rack getting the first clutch replaced, and then the SC went south less than a week later.

As Rob as stated, the pedal should be firm but smooth, and if your clutch still hisses after the pedal is depressed all the way down, then one or both of those cylinders needs to be looked at; period.

Called the Frederick, MD Ford dealer Service dept. this AM to inform them that I needed the TSB work done, which represents about $5K out of pocket for Ford per vehicle. They met with me, we went for a drive, I drove, with the Service Manager in the right seat. The car was not that warm so the full symptoms were not as apparent as they can be after a few hours. I calmly and succinctly explained the issues I had over this past weekend when I took the car for its first long road trip, from MD to CT. He sat there quietly listening and watching me very carefully on how I shifted and handled the clutch. We got back to the dealership and he told his asst. service manager to 'order the parts for full TSB'! They will do the entire TSB #08-16-4 in a week or so when the parts come in. No balking on the warranty work or this issue that has been clearly identified by Ford & SVT. I am very pleased with the initial result. I did not purchase the car at this dealership, mainly because they didn't have any when I was shopping for one. It is refreshing to have a dealership, that made absolutely no money off of me, stand behind Ford products regardless of where they were purchased. I know there is no solid requirement for service to be performed, warranty or otherwise, by the dealer that you purchased the car from; but in reality, sometimes, getting warranty service done at a dealer in the same area, but not where you purchased, can be very challenging. Not this time, they didn't hesitate at all! Thank you Frederick Motors for standing firmly behind Ford products regardless of where they were purchased! My next Ford purchase will certainly be there if I still live in this part of the country.

Glad you had a good response from Frederick Motors. Do remember that they also make money from Ford when they complete warranty work, albiet not as much as non-warranty repairs. Therefore, you are happy and so is Frederick Motors. I deal with Century Ford in Mt. Airy and have had great service for over 30 yrs. A great small dealership that cares.

M1 and GR8, it sounds like your Master and/or Slave cylinder need to be replaced too. My MC was replaced because it failed while the car was still on the rack getting the first clutch replaced, and then the SC went south less than a week later.

As Rob as stated, the pedal should be firm but smooth, and if your clutch still hisses after the pedal is depressed all the way down, then one or both of those cylinders needs to be looked at; period.

Thx Son....hehe :hysterical: Will look into it.

Archived