TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Official TSB #08-16-4: Clutch Drag REPAIR RESULTS

m81mclaren

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will they tell me if it's covered under the TSB before tearing into it?

Yes ..they are supposed to perform a specific test to ascertain that the clutch is in fact dragging (hence bumping the synchro and hard to get into reverse). Then they'll have to order the parts (unlikely they'll be in stock), so yes ...they should tell you if it's covered before taking anything apart. They'll also determine if it's just the clutch/assembly that needs replacement vs also needing the tranny synchros replaced. They used to do both but found out that if the synchros are still ok there's no need to replace them ...and they can determine that too -- before any parts are ordered.

Yes ..they are supposed to perform a specific test to ascertain that the clutch is in fact dragging (hence bumping the synchro and hard to get into reverse). Then they'll have to order the parts (unlikely they'll be in stock), so yes ...they should tell you if it's covered before taking anything apart. They'll also determine if it's just the clutch/assembly that needs replacement vs also needing the tranny synchros replaced. They used to do both but found out that if the synchros are still ok there's no need to replace them ...and they can determine that too -- before any parts are ordered.

Yes but they replace the spline shaft which requires dismantling the tranny to install it.

According to my 8-27-08 build date, I should have the new style flywheel... But then the updated TSB said it doesn't matter about the build date.. I guess I'll find out tomorrow

What is your e-mail ? I can send you the copy of the TSB if you need it.

Well I hate to say it but my car has to go back in. My shifting is very very notchy and crunchy. Such a pain in the rear. I have put 1,000 miles on the car since the TSB was completed. Grabber, any suggestions for me when I go back to the dealer? I have the good transmission per build date, however does it need to be re-built now as well? I think my CSC is bad too.

Thanks,

Jim

If the car does not pass the syncro test, the tranny will need a rebuild kit. The test is outlined in the TSB.

Rob,

You are the man! Thank you.

Have people been getting alot of push-back at the dealerships about this issue? The 09 GT500 I just picked up only has 13k miles. Surely this is a TSB issue...

Some of the dealers seem to push back and others do not. Your car is under the 3 year point so you have a great chance of having them cover it. Go in and be polite and tell the service adviser about the problem and have the TSB with you to show it to him and have a discussion on it. They should take car of you. They may try to say the clutch is only covered up to 12K miles but you need to stand firm that this is a known problem. The TSB tells the dealers tech how to fix the car, but is not a recall so it is not always a slam dunk on getting it fixed on there nickle. I know it stinks but it is the way it is.

If you end up not being covered, I would have a after market clutch put in. Lots of people seem to love the Spec Twin SS and my friend Alex on here says he puts them in many members cars here on TS. His shop is in Palm springs, but you could order the clutch from him and have the dealer do it. Alex is a vendor here. Mackezie Mustangs is the name of his shop.

Some of the dealers seem to push back and others do not. Your car is under the 3 year point so you have a great chance of having them cover it. Go in and be polite and tell the service adviser about the problem and have the TSB with you to show it to him and have a discussion on it. They should take car of you. They may try to say the clutch is only covered up to 12K miles but you need to stand firm that this is a known problem. The TSB tells the dealers tech how to fix the car, but is not a recall so it is not always a slam dunk on getting it fixed on there nickle. I know it stinks but it is the way it is.

If you end up not being covered, I would have a after market clutch put in. Lots of people seem to love the Spec Twin SS and my friend Alex on here says he puts them in many members cars here on TS. His shop is in Palm springs, but you could order the clutch from him and have the dealer do it. Alex is a vendor here. Mackezie Mustangs is the name of his shop.

If I look at getting the aftermarket Spec clutch, do I pay the full amount or the difference between the stock one they are replacing and the Spec?

If I look at getting the aftermarket Spec clutch, do I pay the full amount or the difference between the stock one they are replacing and the Spec?

They may tell you that they will break the car down and evaluate it and if they find it is because of abuse, the repair will be on your nickle. At that point, you should tell them that you don't want the stock unit put in. You will have to let the car sit untill you can get the aftermarket part arrive.

You would need this:

http://www.evoperform.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=708

and a factory concentric slave cylinder from Ford (CSC) and a pilot bearing and the Ford lube.

The after market clutch and flywheel will be about 13 and a half and the other parts are under a hundred so all the parts will be about $1,500. You are looking at about $500 in labor so it could be about 2K to get the job done.

The factory Ford fix will cost you over 5K and the parts are not as good.

You will need to work them !

Let us know how you fair.

Good luck !

I will definitely give it a shot... I've never really had much experience with issues like this. I actually just purchased the custom mac exhaust from Alex a few days ago, and I'm waiting on it to arrive. I might have waited a bit longer to get that if I would have found this issue sooner. :finger: I am really stressing this now....

I will definitely give it a shot... I've never really had much experience with issues like this. I actually just purchased the custom mac exhaust from Alex a few days ago, and I'm waiting on it to arrive. I might have waited a bit longer to get that if I would have found this issue sooner. :finger: I am really stressing this now....

Alex can get you a deal on the clutch as well. Sorry to see that this has surfaced so soon after you just picked up your car.

So they are going to keep it overnight. The Tech that needs to look at it was gone until later today. The rental car I got she said was covered by the powertrain warranty, but she wasn't sure wether the car would fall under the TSB at this time. She said that the car is used and who knows how the previous owner drove it basically... 13K for a clutch is very premature, unless you're a completely terrible driver or purposely trying to burnout the clutch. Especially when in the description it talks about how "very durable" and meant for "high torque" appications.

Great news! Just heard from the dealership... it will be covered under warranty. Clutch and other parts have been ordered and should be here on Thursday, then I will take it back in for surgery. Thanks for the pointers guys!

Knowledge is power !

happy%20feet.gif

Knowledge is power !

happy%20feet.gif

I asked to see the part numbers they ordered, but she didn't have it on her. She just said that they ordered a bunch of parts, and weren't sure if they were all going to show up at the same time. I'm assuming there would be no reason for them to put the old style clutch/flywheel in, correct? She said it would be the newest, I just wanted to have peace of mind.

many thanks

I asked to see the part numbers they ordered, but she didn't have it on her. She just said that they ordered a bunch of parts, and weren't sure if they were all going to show up at the same time. I'm assuming there would be no reason for them to put the old style clutch/flywheel in, correct? She said it would be the newest, I just wanted to have peace of mind.

many thanks

The Part Numbers are listed on the TSB. They would of ordered the parts off that List. Ask to see the order and compare it.

GRRRRR...

So the parts were in and I took it into the shop this morning to get fixed. They told me around 5 it was ready after someone had test-drove it to make sure it was good. So I get the paperwork and go out to the car. Start it up, and the clutch is VERY soft. I know when clutches go out they get harder to push, so maybe this was part or all of it, but i was expecting it to be a little harder than that. Maybe they didn't bleed the clutch out appropriately. Well I try to put it in into first and it's almost impossible to find. Same with reverse and every other gear. Before I took it in the shifts couldnt have been more smooth, now It's extremely notchy. Another thing that has me very worried/nervous is that when the clutch is fully depressed and you eventually do get it into either first gear or reverse, it rollsforward or backward slightly without the break being applied. I am not very happy at this point. I know that this was one of the tell-tale signs of the clutch drag was when the clutch was fully depressed it would creep. At the bottom of the paperwork I got it says :

"13660 clutch assy cc69 basic #637s clutch system not working properly, necessary to perform TSB#10-3-8, replace clutch system as per TSB 100308A-4.2"

Well the car is still there and they are going to look at it tomorrow, but what do you guys thinks?! :rant2:

Well....the Tech that did the work failed. They are supposed to test drive the car before they give it back to the customer. That is a very basic thing.

Makes one wonder if he can't get the basic stuff right...what did he do wrong. :headscratch:

Did you ask if he had worked on a GT500 ever or was this his first one ?

Well....the Tech that did the work failed. They are supposed to test drive the car before they give it back to the customer. That is a very basic thing.

Makes one wonder if he can't get the basic stuff right...what did he do wrong. :headscratch:

Did you ask if he had worked on a GT500 ever or was this his first one ?

Yeah definitely failed. What has me torn is that my friend that works there that I actually dropped the car off with this morning and is taking care of the service request said the tech test drove it and said it was good.

But the issue with the car creeping forward with it in gear and clutch fully disengaged thing be bad news?? sounds like the whole reason for the TSB clutch drag :doh:

So an update... I took the car in monday morning (today is Thursday). They told me on monday afternoon the tech drove it and it was good to go. Went to pick it up and the clutch was SUPER soft and it was VERY difficult to get it into any gear. I can't even believe it's possible someone could have test drove it. So they kept it. The tech looked at it the next day (tuesday) and said the clutch was bad, so they ordered a new clutch kit which came in Wednesday. They went to put the 2nd clutch and new master cylinder and slave cylinder in, and bled it several times, and it's still not working correctly. They now have Hotline involved.

Here is the feedback I have received:

Hotline is now involved, we are still having an issue even after the parts were installed and multiple bleeds.

but not looking good for today.

I will share the hotline correspondence with you when you pick up, but too lengthy to post here.

Hotline is Ford engineers, we have performed many of these TSB, I have several Shelby / mustang customers and

about 1/2 of them have needed this procedure.

not only are the TSB's specific but also any other repairs, they have a specific procedure to follow, when the designated

procedure does not correct the concern to our satisfaction we contact hotline.

often times another TSB can result from a hotline contact.

I just want my friggin car back!!!

So an update... I took the car in monday morning (today is Thursday). They told me on monday afternoon the tech drove it and it was good to go. Went to pick it up and the clutch was SUPER soft and it was VERY difficult to get it into any gear. I can't even believe it's possible someone could have test drove it. So they kept it. The tech looked at it the next day (tuesday) and said the clutch was bad, so they ordered a new clutch kit which came in Wednesday. They went to put the 2nd clutch and new master cylinder and slave cylinder in, and bled it several times, and it's still not working correctly. They now have Hotline involved.

Here is the feedback I have received:

Hotline is now involved, we are still having an issue even after the parts were installed and multiple bleeds.

but not looking good for today.

I will share the hotline correspondence with you when you pick up, but too lengthy to post here.

Hotline is Ford engineers, we have performed many of these TSB, I have several Shelby / mustang customers and

about 1/2 of them have needed this procedure.

not only are the TSB's specific but also any other repairs, they have a specific procedure to follow, when the designated

procedure does not correct the concern to our satisfaction we contact hotline.

often times another TSB can result from a hotline contact.

I just want my friggin car back!!!

I'd just be thankful that you have a dealer that seems willing to work with you....many others haven't been so lucky.

Archived