TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Official TSB #08-16-4: Clutch Drag REPAIR RESULTS

m81mclaren

Hopefully this is the right thread and someone can help out. When I went to Dearborn the SVT engineer sat my car and did a clutch test. He quickly said it was toast and needed repaired per the TSB. He even commented that it was pretty bad and when I asked him about being challenged by the dealership he said, this one is a no brainer and that any mechanic can see it. Well, I took the car in a few weeks ago and told to bring it back to have the shop foreman look. As time went, the car got worse and it failed Grabbers clutch test and I could barely get it in gear at times. I took the car in today and they drove it for 15 miles only to tell me “Your car is a 2008 and not eligible for the TSB”. In addition, it shows no symptoms….ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!! I explained to him that there were symptoms and that the TSB is 2007-2009 and my car was built in 2007. He then said he was not going to argue with me and walked away. Of course the service manager was not there and has not returned my call. The write up says, “Noticed chatter on take off and gear rollover at stop with clutch engaged”. “Also with clutch disengaged noticed noise from release bearing”. T"his is normal characteristic of the high performance gears caused by the cerametallic clutch lining for the gt500”. 1st of all, why did they put 15 miles on my car when the SVT engineer did not put any miles on the car, second of all “THIS IS NORMAL”. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. I HATE BEING LIED TOO AND TOLD IT IS NOT EVEN ELGIBLE!!!

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had my clutch done and got only 500 miles before it started sliping. When I picked it up I also noticed the engagement was at the top and I also had the same light pressure disengagement problem. Take your car for a drive and stick it into 4th gear at around 40 mph and floor it. I bet you will notice it will start to slip. This is because the pressure plate is not full released because either the throw out bearing assembly is to long or the bearing assembly is getting stuck on the tube it slides over. I am waiting for a whole clutch set.

No slip on your 4th gear test. Must be just what normal feels like! I'm off to drive and enjoy. If it grenades Ford can fix it under my 5yr warranty.

Hopefully this is the right thread and someone can help out. When I went to Dearborn the SVT engineer sat my car and did a clutch test. He quickly said it was toast and needed repaired per the TSB. He even commented that it was pretty bad and when I asked him about being challenged by the dealership he said, this one is a no brainer and that any mechanic can see it. Well, I took the car in a few weeks ago and told to bring it back to have the shop foreman look. As time went, the car got worse and it failed Grabbers clutch test and I could barely get it in gear at times. I took the car in today and they drove it for 15 miles only to tell me “Your car is a 2008 and not eligible for the TSB”. In addition, it shows no symptoms….ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!! I explained to him that there were symptoms and that the TSB is 2007-2009 and my car was built in 2007. He then said he was not going to argue with me and walked away. Of course the service manager was not there and has not returned my call. The write up says, “Noticed chatter on take off and gear rollover at stop with clutch engaged”. “Also with clutch disengaged noticed noise from release bearing”. T"his is normal characteristic of the high performance gears caused by the cerametallic clutch lining for the gt500”. 1st of all, why did they put 15 miles on my car when the SVT engineer did not put any miles on the car, second of all “THIS IS NORMAL”. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. I HATE BEING LIED TOO AND TOLD IT IS NOT EVEN ELGIBLE!!!

I had vert similar responses. They are incorrect and don't care so take it to another dealer who knows what is going on and has the skills to repair it. Easier said than done, but I would look for references from other members in your area that have had a better experience.

If your flywheel got hot enough to warp from stop and go driving or the trucker loading it onto the carrier by over slipping the clutch to get it on the top deck.....it could be warped and causing the problem.

It wouldn't hurt to have it checked.

Mine had clutch chatter from the day it rolled off the truck. I just finished the TSB and no more chatter. My input shaft was rusty and was binding on the clutch hub. Most of the rust was the result of sitting on the factory lot, train and truck.

I'm very glad to see 2 more happy TSB installs.

Do you guys have your first 25 miles on the car yet?

I remember my first 25. I was doing this-----------> :happy feet:

Now every time I :shift: .........I'm :happy feet:

I just picked up my car after having the full TSB completed. The master tech said the old parts were in perfect shape but they did the full replacement anyway. My first impressions are that the shifting quality is completely different now, much smoother, feels like a new car. As a matter of fact, I needed some time to readjust to the smoothness and ease of the clutch. I'll have to wait until spring to actually put some miles on it since I just put it away for the winter, but so far I like it much better.

Raw, tell us where you have your work done?

Well I hate to put a monkey wrench in all the good news, BUT, I also couldn't have been happier after my full TSB clutch repair. I even posted the service repair sheet and Grabber assured that all that needed to be done was... After about 500 miles I started noticing some clutch drag again and stuttering, trying to stall taking off from a stop. Now have 1100 miles post repair and it is as bad or worse than before the repair. PLan to take it in soon, but wondered how many others are in this boat.

i just bought an 2009 and same probs have an appt next week for tsb repair only 700 miles on it

ford is doing syncros output shaft clutch assy and more to fix problem while they have it apart i will have them install short shifter yeahh take your car in they will fix yours to just do it b 4 they go broke

Make sure your dealer has all the parts for the TSB before they start tearing into your tranny. Have the dealer physically verify it; don't just take their word for it. I took mine in Nov 24 after my service advisor told me the TSB parts came in. I actually asked whether the parts were all there and handed my advisor the TSB and asked him to check that the parts were the right ones. I get a call on Nov 26 and learn some synchros and dogs (whatever they are) were missing from the kit and they have them on emergency order. Today Dec 3, I learn my parts are on national backorder with no official ETA. So my car is just sitting on a hoist at my dealer waiting on parts to arrive. :banghead:

Well I hate to put a monkey wrench in all the good news, BUT, I also couldn't have been happier after my full TSB clutch repair. I even posted the service repair sheet and Grabber assured that all that needed to be done was... After about 500 miles I started noticing some clutch drag again and stuttering, trying to stall taking off from a stop. Now have 1100 miles post repair and it is as bad or worse than before the repair. PLan to take it in soon, but wondered how many others are in this boat.

Do you have the clutch dragging symptoms or just excessive clutch chatter upon clutch engagement or both?

Do you have the clutch dragging symptoms or just excessive clutch chatter upon clutch engagement or both?

I just got back from the dealer this morning he said they wouldn't service my car under the TSB said it is considered a normal characteristic caused by the cerametalic clutch lining.

Not a happy camper

I have clutch chatter

My clutch chatter is minimized by quick positive engagement. If I baby the car upon engagement, it chatters. I know that the three different stock ceramic clutches that have been in my GT500 all acted a little different, this last one (Post TSB) can not be babied. I can live with this no problem, tired of the dealership hassles.

11-04-2008

I took my 07 w/ 6,500 miles on it in to the same dealership I purchased the car from with hard shifting from 1st to 2nd (feels like a tractor), grinds into 2nd & if I am agressive sometimes it just grinds & I can't get it into 2nd. Passed the hiss test & some shudder from a stop & this morning 39 degrees f it has a harsh clunk 1-2 shift.

I test drove with the service advisor & duplicated the 1-2 grind twice in about 6 attempts & just a grind into 2nd (couldn't get it in second) once, then he had me go for a drive with the tech & I was able to duplicate the 1-2 grind with him in the car, he said with the additional load of the KB stage 3 3" pulley it would not function as designed & they will not do the bulletin because he feels like it will not correct the problem, I asked for a customer pay quote to have them do the service bulletin & $6900.00 was the price.

I had called ahead & spoke to the service Mgr. in advance & he said the KB would not interfere with the warranty, AND I understood when I installed the KB that I probably voided the powertrain warranty, so I know I should not expect any help.

Any Ideas, I would gladly drive it across country if I can find a dealer that would help.

11-04-2008

I took my 07 w/ 6,500 miles on it in to the same dealership I purchased the car from with hard shifting from 1st to 2nd (feels like a tractor), grinds into 2nd & if I am agressive sometimes it just grinds & I can't get it into 2nd. Passed the hiss test & some shudder from a stop & this morning 39 degrees f it has a harsh clunk 1-2 shift.

I test drove with the service advisor & duplicated the 1-2 grind twice in about 6 attempts & just a grind into 2nd (couldn't get it in second) once, then he had me go for a drive with the tech & I was able to duplicate the 1-2 grind with him in the car, he said with the additional load of the KB stage 3 3" pulley it would not function as designed & they will not do the bulletin because he feels like it will not correct the problem, I asked for a customer pay quote to have them do the service bulletin & $6900.00 was the price.

I had called ahead & spoke to the service Mgr. in advance & he said the KB would not interfere with the warranty, AND I understood when I installed the KB that I probably voided the powertrain warranty, so I know I should not expect any help.

Any Ideas, I would gladly drive it across country if I can find a dealer that would help.

even cars that are bone stock are having those symptoms , that is the FLAW that we are trying to get addressed on every car with and without the symptoms with the petition letter. Ford has to listen to our voices and not to leave us stranded with 6900$ bill down the road.

• 2 weeks later...

I have recently picked up a 2007 model "0" mileage GT500.

The first couple of hundred kms I noticed a light grinding/hissing when the clutch was depressed. By 1700 (1050 miles) kms the car's clutch had stopped functioning and it was nearly impossible to engage any gears. Even in the event that some gear would engage, the car would shudder on clutch release.

I am based in Dubai. When I took the car to the only ford dealer in Dubai, I was informed that they will need to disassemble the transmission & clutch to diagnose the problem, only after which can they confirm warranty. I was also intimated that in a scenario that clutch plates are burnt, the bill for repairs estimated at USD 8K will have to footed by me.

When I contacted the Middle East Regional Office of Ford, they said that they can not say if the failure is related to the concern mentioned in the TSB. The dealer will have to remove the transmission to know the exact nature of failure. They also commented that premature clutch wear and related damage is normally a result of the driver and considered non-warrantable.

I have read a few threads about the Clutch Drag on this forum and request your assistance as I am an absolute novice about this car. I have managed to get a copy of the TSB which I tried to reason with the dealer and Ford Middle East, but in vain.

Can you please suggest what I should do??

Cheers.......

I have recently picked up a 2007 model "0" mileage GT500.

The first couple of hundred kms I noticed a light grinding/hissing when the clutch was depressed. By 1700 (1050 miles) kms the car's clutch had stopped functioning and it was nearly impossible to engage any gears. Even in the event that some gear would engage, the car would shudder on clutch release.

I am based in Dubai. When I took the car to the only ford dealer in Dubai, I was informed that they will need to disassemble the transmission & clutch to diagnose the problem, only after which can they confirm warranty. I was also intimated that in a scenario that clutch plates are burnt, the bill for repairs estimated at USD 8K will have to footed by me.

When I contacted the Middle East Regional Office of Ford, they said that they can not say if the failure is related to the concern mentioned in the TSB. The dealer will have to remove the transmission to know the exact nature of failure. They also commented that premature clutch wear and related damage is normally a result of the driver and considered non-warrantable.

I have read a few threads about the Clutch Drag on this forum and request your assistance as I am an absolute novice about this car. I have managed to get a copy of the TSB which I tried to reason with the dealer and Ford Middle East, but in vain.

Can you please suggest what I should do??

Cheers.......

Take pictures of the rusted transmission input shaft and clutch hub. The pictures will prove your failure was directly caused by lack of the required factory lubrication. With those pictures you have solid ground and can hopefully make Ford pay for the repairs. After verifying the rust and warranty coverage, I would try to convince the maintenance manager that replacing the transmission will save everyone allot of money and trouble because repairs on other GT500 transmissions have lead to transmission replacement in many cases.

You are going to need the pictures of the rusted shaft and hub.

:headscratch: l

lots of us- more than you might think- it was poorly designed and the tsb was an add on fix- worked for some but not all- the new gt 500 will not have this clutch system- keep after them to make it right.

:headscratch: l lots of us- more than you might think- it was poorly designed and the tsb was an add on fix- worked for some but not all- the new gt 500 will not have this clutch system- keep after them to make it right.

What them at ford are not willing to get is why to have the tranny go out before the TSB is in. Why not to have a TSB for prevention.

Am thankful to God that decision makers about vaccines in Medicine did not take the same route those bean counters are taking (and am sure there are bean counters in Medicine too) otherwise all babies would have polio .........

I guess am :beatdeadhorse:

What them at ford are not willing to get is why to have the tranny go out before the TSB is in. Why not to have a TSB for prevention.

Am thankful to God that decision makers about vaccines in Medicine did not take the same route those bean counters are taking (and am sure there are bean counters in Medicine too) otherwise all babies would have polio .........

+1

Keep repeating until they make it right????????????

I disagree with your post, and I'll leave it at that.

Username - 6-Speed

YEAR- 2007

Symptoms (clutch drag, grinding, chatter, etc.) - failed test #1: more difficult to shift into 1st and 2nd immediately after depressing the clutch than if I wait a few seconds. No other symptoms.

TSB items actually installed (please indicate if you also have previously received a new transmission) - Flywheel kit, Clutch kit, Trans kit, Pilot Bearing and oil seal per TSB 08-16-4. FRPP short-throw shifter. New driveshaft bolts. Great job done by San Tan Ford in Gilbert, AZ. :happy feet:

Results after 100 Mi. - (12/18/2008) Shifting into 1st is smoother - less prone to chattering. FRPP short-throw shifter - very nice.

Results after 500 Mi.: pending

Results after 1k Mi.: Pending

Ok im new to all this chatter talk so im not sure how to define it. But heres what i get.....When starting out if i dont get it into about 2-3 thousand rpms and really feather out the clutch, i get stuttering and it wants to die with a grinding sound. If im in high gear like say fourth or fifth and gun it at a medium rpm, it bogs a bit and vibrates the shizer outta my hand while it is on the stick. If someone could describe chatter i would appreciate it. Also, does this sound like something i should talk to the dealer about? They told me they hadnt heard anything about it but to their defense they r a very small town dealer. When i go there with my car everyone stops what they r doing to look at it. Makes me happy and laugh lol. Anyways some help would be nice guys thanks so much....(11K on my 08)

Username - 6-Speed

YEAR- 2007

Symptoms (clutch drag, grinding, chatter, etc.) - failed test #1: more difficult to shift into 1st and 2nd immediately after depressing the clutch than if I wait a few seconds. No other symptoms.

TSB items actually installed (please indicate if you also have previously received a new transmission) - Flywheel kit, Clutch kit, Trans kit, Pilot Bearing and oil seal per TSB 08-16-4. FRPP short-throw shifter. New driveshaft bolts. Great job done by San Tan Ford in Gilbert, AZ. :happy feet:

Results after 100 Mi. - (12/18/2008) Shifting into 1st is smoother - less prone to chattering. FRPP short-throw shifter - very nice.

Results after 500 Mi.: pending

Results after 1k Mi.: Pending

Thank you for the update 6-speed! Keep us posted.

Guest markham51

Transmission gave out last night. Had been noticing more notchiness in shifts recently and more chatter than usual. Luckily I managed to limp into my Ford dealer and will talk to them Monday am. Car is one of the first to be manufactured. It is now an SS 725 so I expect issues with warrantee coverage. It will not shift at all. Car has 9900 miles.

Thanks to all that have contributed to this post. Ill spend the day reviewing it in detail so I can manage the process as best I can.

Has anyone (SS 725 owners) been succesful in getting the TSB done under warranty?

Thanks,

Mark

Archived