TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Official TSB #08-16-4: Clutch Drag REPAIR RESULTS

m81mclaren

Yes I know about the flywheel, they at first gave me grief since it was a clutch slipping issue when I brough it. Talked to the SVT guy and eveything is all good.

SO here is the update.

They are giving me all new parts on the TSB except for the Trannsmission rebuild/replacement.

They said my synchros were not worn at all and this is true as I am very conscience on how I drive and shift. Plus I know how the tranny feels.

Am I going to be good to go or will it eventually have to comeback for the Transmission rebuild.

Problem with that is this:

The tranny rebuild kit includes a revised Input shaft that releases much better from the clutch hub then your original input shaft. The 26 splines on the new shaft have been milled a fraction wider to allow the release from the clutch hub to occurr more efficiantly. The surface of the splines has been broached differently to be a little smoother too.

I would not settle for anything but the full TSB because of this.

If your GT500 already has a TUET 8175b transmission in it, then your car has the new and improved shaft already in it. If you have an older 2007 model than you have the TUET 5800 tranny in it, and that is the old shaft.

What is the manufacture date of your car ?

Here is a thread on the 2 trannys for your study needs:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...st&p=347037

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, I have been on mustang forums and am new to here...I have this issue and am ready to take it into the shop. What are the first steps that I need to take? I have grinding going into second gear and sometimes it wont even make it into second. The day this happened i stopped driving it. I like in maryland and there are two dealers within 20 miles of me that are SVT dealers. Do I just call them and talk to them...? Those who have done this give me some advice before I call...Thanks, Zak

Problem with that is this:

The tranny rebuild kit includes a revised Input shaft that releases much better from the clutch hub then your original input shaft. The 26 splines on the new shaft have been milled a fraction wider to allow the release from the clutch hub to occurr more efficiantly. The surface of the splines has been broached differently to be a little smoother too.

I would not settle for anything but the full TSB because of this.

If your GT500 already has a TUET 8175b transmission in it, then your car has the new and improved shaft already in it. If you have an older 2007 model than you have the TUET 5800 tranny in it, and that is the old shaft.

What is the manufacture date of your car ?

Here is a thread on the 2 trannys for your study needs:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...st&p=347037

I bought the car new on 7/30/07 I think it was made in March of 2007 but I wont know for sure till I call SVT and check tommorow. I know it is mid to later production since it has Nav and was 311 of 384 Tungsten coupes.

Since the car is at the dealer I cant check the tag.

I bought the car new on 7/30/07 I think it was made in March of 2007 but I wont know for sure till I call SVT and check tommorow. I know it is mid to later production since it has Nav and was 311 of 384 Tungsten coupes.

Since the car is at the dealer I cant check the tag.

That's 2 months after mine was produced. You have the 1st generation tranny with the 1st generation input shaft.

Your tech most likely does not know the tranny kit has a new and improved input shaft. You best school him up so you can get it installed in your car.

Here it is:

th_Flywheelinstallation060.jpg

th_Flywheelinstallation061.jpg

Hi, I have been on mustang forums and am new to here...I have this issue and am ready to take it into the shop. What are the first steps that I need to take? I have grinding going into second gear and sometimes it wont even make it into second. The day this happened i stopped driving it. I like in maryland and there are two dealers within 20 miles of me that are SVT dealers. Do I just call them and talk to them...? Those who have done this give me some advice before I call...Thanks, Zak

First off,

Welcome to Team Shelby. We are glad you found us.

Second, I would like to show you how to use our search feature so you can find all the info. At the top of the page....click search and then type in "Clutch" and do some reading to study up on the issues. It's all there.

After you do that let me know if you have any questions.

You might as well add me to the list. Build date 08/25/2006, 1,600 miles and the car is sitting at the dealer waiting on the TSB to be completed. They just called and said the parts are on a national back order. Sucks!!!

I find that amazing. My dealer ordered the parts and they were there in two days

:shift: :happy feet: :shift: :happy feet:

This week end I went on a rally with 6 other GT500's. We put 150 miles of agressive driving on twistie roads and long mountin straight aways. My TSB on my car is working and preforming awesome. I now have 550 miles on the TSB and I would say it's fully broken in.

I just recently purchased a 2008 GT500 and am new to this forum. First let me say that this forum is great, so much knowledge and experience with this amazing car. I don't have a problem with grinding, slippage, or not being able to get into gear. I am only experiencing clutch chatter when starting off in 1st. From reading through this thread it is mentioned that this is normal, but I am not totally convinced and am wondering if I should take it in and have it checked to see if the TSB needs to be done or not. Any input will be greatly appreciated. :shift:

I just recently purchased a 2008 GT500 and am new to this forum. First let me say that this forum is great, so much knowledge and experience with this amazing car. I don't have a problem with grinding, slippage, or not being able to get into gear. I am only experiencing clutch chatter when starting off in 1st. From reading through this thread it is mentioned that this is normal, but I am not totally convinced and am wondering if I should take it in and have it checked to see if the TSB needs to be done or not. Any input will be greatly appreciated. :shift:

How many miles on your car ?

approx 1650 miles

If your flywheel got hot enough to warp from stop and go driving or the trucker loading it onto the carrier by over slipping the clutch to get it on the top deck.....it could be warped and causing the problem.

It wouldn't hurt to have it checked.

My car is supposidly done and ready to pick up on monday...had them replace the rear end assy, do the clutch TSB, and the driver's side window TSB...hopefully all will be well this time or I am starting the lemon law process with this car...WAY too many probems with this car in less than 3K miles (read my other posts). My supercharged S-GT is perfect, My 07 GT500 was near perfect when I sold it (74K miles) and my KR is perfect. So we'll see....

I had my clutch replaced in March, then the full TSB in September. About two weeks after getting my car back, third gear began to grind. I now have a new transmission. All this with only 3,500 miles on a 2007 GT500. I hope and pray this is it.

Safe driving & God Bless,

I had my clutch replaced in March, then the full TSB in September. About two weeks after getting my car back, third gear began to grind. I now have a new transmission. All this with only 3,500 miles on a 2007 GT500. I hope and pray this is it.

Safe driving & God Bless,

I got my car back after the TSB and it was making noise from the gear box..like it was coming apart...I didn't even get out of first gear and rolled it back to the dealer!!! Well I and the mechanic decided to bleed the clutch and check servicing and the clutch had air in the system and we kept bleeding the clutch until it finally shifted flawlessly.....so bleeding the clutch is.....HUGE!!!!!!!! :banghead:

Well tomorrow is the day i drop my car off...the guy wasnt 2 friendly over the phone so i really need to talk to them in person about everything...I nervous about leaving my car at a dealership...i mean this thing has never seen the rain...will it be parked inside overnight? Well wish me luck and dont give me any troubles trying to tell me that it isnt the TSB or something...

Went to my Dealer and told him my problem with the clutch and he said no problem he will have the service manager order the parts. They have been on order for 4 weeks still waiting to set an appointment.

I was told Ford had a delay in the tranny parts from the supplier. Soon they say.

-UPDATE ON MY TSB-

Well it all started like a nightmare...I dropped my car off at Bob Bell of Glen Bernie at 7:30 am. Very small service center and a small parking lot. I found a Saleen and back right next to it. I walk in and talk to the service rep he takes done a little info gets the TSB # and tells me thats it...in my head i was like WHAT?!?! I was like is the car going to be kept inside overnight? my response was "We have limited space ill to my best to take care of ur car". I was like well she has never seen the rain or been outside over night. So i wasnt to happy but had to leave so i could get to work. I get off around 4 and the first thing i do is call. They tell me there guy who was going to work on it didnt show up and they now were backed up and maybe could look at it tom. So i hang up on them and are pissed!!! I call up apple ford right away and happen to get there SVT service rep on the phone. Right away seems to be a great guy and super friendly. I ask him how soon he could take me for a GT500 TSB and he says "Now". No sooner did I get off the phone go pick up my car and take it directly to him. The second i pull into apple ford he shakes my hand introduces himself does a walk around my car telling me how clean it is and praising me for my choice in Corsa Exhaust. So he takes down all my info and goes over everything with me, very knowledgeable man. He even said he would personally pull the car inside every night that it isnt already in the shop. So i left with a great feeling inside. I got of work today took a shower and came back with a voicemail from him just checking in and going over all of the progress. All the parts are ordered and the car should be in my hands monday at the latest...SO I WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW THE END RESULT IS!!!

got mine back today...they replaced the entire rear end because of howl, and did the clutch TSB...they had to source several parts form other dealers, so it took around 3 weeks to get all the parts. Clutch seems great, tranny shifts great, very little chatter, however, throw out bearing still making noise when warm idling in nuetral..any suggestions..my 07 never did that?? Other than the tick tick, everything seems fine

got mine back today...they replaced the entire rear end because of howl, and did the clutch TSB...they had to source several parts form other dealers, so it took around 3 weeks to get all the parts. Clutch seems great, tranny shifts great, very little chatter, however, throw out bearing still making noise when warm idling in nuetral..any suggestions..my 07 never did that?? Other than the tick tick, everything seems fine

There will always be "roll-over" noise when idling in neutral, even my Mini Cooper does it...........but it isn't a "tick, tick, tick" sound. That kind of sound would be coming from the valvetrain? :headscratch:

Mine's scheduled to go in next Tuesday for a full TSB providing they have all the parts to do it. I plan to call late Monday afternoon to see if they have all the parts on hand before I bring it in Tuesday. One of my problems is time, I'm running out of time before taking it off the road for the winter. Reading some of these posts I'm concerned they won't have all the parts in by next Monday. I too also feel sick of the thought my car will be out of my possesion and control for two days.

There will always be "roll-over" noise when idling in neutral, even my Mini Cooper does it...........but it isn't a "tick, tick, tick" sound. That kind of sound would be coming from the valvetrain? :headscratch:

Hi Rob,

Definately not valve train...goes away when you push in clutch and is only really noticable when car is warm. My 07 GT500 didn't do it (even with its high miles when I sold it), my S-GT doesn't do it, and my KR doesn't do it...only this one..never noticed any of my customers 500's sounding this loud either...didn't you have a probelm with yours too with the throw out bearing slave at one time?? I am really leaning to this being the problem..it seriously is loud and annoying...dealer is getting back with me thursday to let me know if it was part of the TSB and replaced or not. The thing that really pisses me off is that they scratched the Jet Hot coating on my longtubes really bad after promising to cover them in plastic first..I really should have been there to watch them, which they offered, I just couldn't be away from the shop all day for several days on call as we are getting several cars ready for SEMA and are swamped here.

Alex

[Grabber...is right!! You have to have the clutch bleed out correctly or the tranny will make sounds like its chattering inside and this will eat up the synchro's inside the tranny!!!!

I also had the FRPP shifter put in with 3.73 gears and the gears and shifter is the ticket......

It is so very importand that the air be removed from the hydrolic lines after the work is done. I hope your mech did the procedure correctly to make sure the air was all removed. My mech did the proceedure 6 times as I watched him do it. Before you have the tranny removed again, you might ask to bleed the lines again.

You could also try pumping the clutch pedal 20 times and pumping the brake pedal to see if that helps. do this a few times. Please let us know what happens.

Can any Ford dealer do the clutch TSB or only SVT????

Any Ford dealer can do it....that has a great mechanic.

The SVT cert is a 10 minute on line course. Don't put much merit in that.

Find a Senior Master Tech that has been around awhile.

Archived