TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Official TSB #08-16-4: Clutch Drag REPAIR RESULTS

m81mclaren

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply
UPDATED IMPRESSIONS:

I have been out of town for a week on vacation, so my car has been sitting all week.

I went out to start it in my shop. Rolled both windows down so I could listen to the motor. Turned the key on and she fired right up. Left her in nuetral and listened. No whine and no hiss. Pushed the clutch pedal in and held it. Listened very carefully. No hissing at all. Did it a second time, and still no hissing.

Results: HISS TEST PASSED.

I then took the car out to a Driving Rally event. The driving was on winding twisty roads with alot of shifting. Many hairpin corners, and lots of 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear shifts. The drive was 2 hours long up in the Oregon country back hills. I put a total of 160 miles on the new clutch and flywheel set up today. The performance was superb. The shifting was all smooth. Never bumped any syncros or missed a beat. The temp was 97 here today, so it was nice and hot.

RESULTS: I now have 260 miles on my TSB work and I could not be happier. :)

UPDATED TSB IMPRESSIONS:

It's been over a month since I have had my car out for a drive due to my county roads being full of rocks from a chip seal job. The rocks are now gone so I can drive my car.

I put 40 fun miles on the car tonight. The shifting is still smooth. The clutch action is smooth. I did the infamous hiss test and it passed with flying colors.

Results after 300 miles. :happy feet: AWESOME !! :yahoo:

That is not correct. The clutch was damaged due to the failure of an item under the extended powertrain warranty, ie. the flywheel warping due to insufficient heat disipation, which was a design issue related to the 'vent' holes in the fly wheel; they were intended to disipate heat and actually wond up causing more induction of heat into the flywheel. Hand bone connected to the wrist bone..... So when the TSB is done, all parts are covered. Try again, and if they don't go along, I have a contact for you in MI.

Thanks so much for the information. If they hassle me on the repair I'll get in touch with you for the number.

I took in my car last week for the TSB, got approved and was told by the service manager that I was going to be recieving all hte necessary parts and a new transmission from Ford per what was told to him via SVT hotline. Well all the parts came in from Ford but what Ford shipped out was, clutch, flywheel, necessary misc parts and a rebuild kit for the tranny. The dealer i took the car to told me they dont have the tools to do the rebuild and none of the local dealerships have it either. I am calling Ford in the morning to see why i was told i was getting a new tranny and they ended up shipping a rebuild kit.

Also I was told today by my service advisor that they are "NOT" an Authorized SVT Repair Center and that Ford should of known that by the dealer code when shipping out the parts and that they should of just sent a new tranny.

Now this is the main question to my dilemma: Are they (the dealer) allowed to do any repair work in regards to this TSB or any major repair if they are not an authorized SVT repair shop?

Had an objective third party, very qualified, look at and drive the car. He confirmed that all was well with the drive line, and could not find any unusual or out of the expected noises coming from the areas worked on during the TSB work. My suspension is noisier due to new UCA, and so on; which is to be be expected. The vibrations I felt in the shifter are due to the new FRPP short throw shifter 'transmitting' more vibration due to harder linkage, again to be expected and normal. The car's driving experience is great overall, and I am totally pleased with Ford now.

Still only 250 miles on new clutch.

I took in my car last week for the TSB, got approved and was told by the service manager that I was going to be recieving all hte necessary parts and a new transmission from Ford per what was told to him via SVT hotline. Well all the parts came in from Ford but what Ford shipped out was, clutch, flywheel, necessary misc parts and a rebuild kit for the tranny. The dealer i took the car to told me they dont have the tools to do the rebuild and none of the local dealerships have it either. I am calling Ford in the morning to see why i was told i was getting a new tranny and they ended up shipping a rebuild kit.

Also I was told today by my service advisor that they are "NOT" an Authorized SVT Repair Center and that Ford should of known that by the dealer code when shipping out the parts and that they should of just sent a new tranny.

Now this is the main question to my dilemma: Are they (the dealer) allowed to do any repair work in regards to this TSB or any major repair if they are not an authorized SVT repair shop?

Dealerships do not need to be "authorized SVT" repair shops to work on a GT500. If I were you I would make sure the tech is a "Senior Master Tech". Just because your dealer does not have the right tools to do the tranny re-build des not mean that Ford will automatically send you a new tranny. A new tranny is $3500 bucks and the re-build kit is $1,400 bucks. I hope you get the new tranny, but I will be surprized.

Dealerships do not need to be "authorized SVT" repair shops to work on a GT500. If I were you I would make sure the tech is a "Senior Master Tech". Just because your dealer does not have the right tools to do the tranny re-build des not mean that Ford will automatically send you a new tranny. A new tranny is $3500 bucks and the re-build kit is $1,400 bucks. I hope you get the new tranny, but I will be surprized.

Hi Grabber, thanks for the info as i was worried that they shouldnt work on the GT500 if they werent authorized. I know if they dont have the right tools doesnt mean they will send a tranny. The point i am trying to make is that Ford told the dealership they were shipping a new tranny but didnt.

Hey, posted this in the other thread as well, if anyone could help would appreciate it.

I picked up my 09 GT500 on September 4th.

The dealer invoice was in the glove compartment.

The inventory was prepared, which I am assuming is the order given to the factory on August 7th 2008. The transit days are 14, the date it was received was 8/29/08.

So, as has been said in this forum, the tranny "fix" was instituted in August. Assuming the transit days are correct my 500 left Flat Rock on 8/15/08.

How can I tell if I got the fix or not, is there any way? The invoice says my transmission is order code "44E" if that helps.

Would be just my luck if mine was the last one to not get the fix.

Anyway, no issues so far other than a little hiss in 2nd every now and then. Otherwise, no problems.

If anyone can help, appreciate any replies.

Thanks!

How can I tell if I got the fix or not, is there any way? The invoice says my transmission is order code "44E" if that helps.

As far as a physical inspection, if you look up into the drain slot on the bottom of the clutch bell housing (the long, narrow, forward slot rather than the more rectangular rear hole), you can see the cooling slots of the old style nodular iron flywheel, or you should see the smooth, solid bevel of the new style non-nodular steel flywheel, if that's what you've got.

I just jacked one side of the car up pretty high, used jack stands to secure it front and back, and lit the slot up with a small LED flashlight. The cooling slots on my old-style nodular flywheel were clearly visible. :cry:

You can use the pictures in Grabber's post to familiarize yourself with the physical characteristics.

Grabber's flywheel/clutch install

UPDATED TSB IMPRESSIONS:

It's been over a month since I have had my car out for a drive due to my county roads being full of rocks from a chip seal job. The rocks are now gone so I can drive my car.

I put 40 fun miles on the car tonight. The shifting is still smooth. The clutch action is smooth. I did the infamous hiss test and it passed with flying colors.

Results after 300 miles. :happy feet: AWESOME !! :yahoo:

I had my car out today for some joy riding. :shift:

I'm very happy with the TSB work.

Very happy. :happy feet:

TUET5800Trannyrebuild029.jpg

After well over a month of waiting, I finally got my car back yesterday after the TSB had been completed. I had a new FRPP shfiter installed at the same time. Between yesterday and today I put on roughly 100 miles and the results are pretty impressive.

The clutch chatter is completely gone. First-second shifts are very smooth with no grinding whatsoever. It also feels as though the car may even have a little extra kick after dumping the clutch from first to second and second to third.

The FRPP shifter was a very nice addition as well. Significantly shorter throws and much more precise. A very noticeable upgrade over stock.

After well over a month of waiting, I finally got my car back yesterday after the TSB had been completed. I had a new FRPP shfiter installed at the same time. Between yesterday and today I put on roughly 100 miles and the results are pretty impressive.

The clutch chatter is completely gone. First-second shifts are very smooth with no grinding whatsoever. It also feels as though the car may even have a little extra kick after dumping the clutch from first to second and second to third.

The FRPP shifter was a very nice addition as well. Significantly shorter throws and much more precise. A very noticeable upgrade over stock.

Nice isn't it. Take it easy though for the first 500 miles, or at least that's what they told me. They being the SVT automotive engineer Ford flew out to my dealership to oversee the TSB work on my car a week of so ago. Also, if your clutch seems a little easier or spongy, it's not bled fully. Pump 30 times with car off, and then press brake pedal firmly.

Nice isn't it. Take it easy though for the first 500 miles, or at least that's what they told me. They being the SVT automotive engineer Ford flew out to my dealership to oversee the TSB work on my car a week of so ago. Also, if your clutch seems a little easier or spongy, it's not bled fully. Pump 30 times with car off, and then press brake pedal firmly.

Good info, thanks. No issues so far. The clutch does seem to grab slighly closer to the floor than it used to, but it is consistent and I have not noticed and spongy feel to it.

I called the dealer this morning and talked to my service advisor and he said they rebuilt the tranny. Got a call around 4pm and said the car is done and ready to be picked up.

Got there after work, only the service manager was there. Got the paperwork and went to go take the car home.. before i got into the car i was reading over the work order with all the part numbers on it. NO "Tranny Kit" listed. So i asked hte manager if they did rebuild the tranny per the TSB... they said no it wasnt rebuilt as it wasnt on the TSB they had printed out. Just flywheel and clutch.. Now i am pissed!! I told him that the only reason i went to your dealership was Ford told me too, i already had my car at one dealership for a week but they couldnt do the tranny rebuild as you are the only dealership in South Orange County that had the tools to do the tranny rebuild!! So I told the manager im not taking the car and give me back the rental car and i gave him the keys and walked away.

I am going to have words with them tomorrow and take a copy of the TSB and all the WSM instructions with me!!

Untitled_1.jpg

Untitled_1.jpg

I called the dealer this morning and talked to my service advisor and he said they rebuilt the tranny. Got a call around 4pm and said the car is done and ready to be picked up.

Got there after work, only the service manager was there. Got the paperwork and went to go take the car home.. before i got into the car i was reading over the work order with all the part numbers on it. NO "Tranny Kit" listed. So i asked hte manager if they did rebuild the tranny per the TSB... they said no it wasnt rebuilt as it wasnt on the TSB they had printed out. Just flywheel and clutch.. Now i am pissed!! I told him that the only reason i went to your dealership was Ford told me too, i already had my car at one dealership for a week but they couldnt do the tranny rebuild as you are the only dealership in South Orange County that had the tools to do the tranny rebuild!! So I told the manager im not taking the car and give me back the rental car and i gave him the keys and walked away.

I am going to have words with them tomorrow and take a copy of the TSB and all the WSM instructions with me!!

The Trans kit part number is:

7R3Z*7C391*A KIT - REPAIR - IN

ONCE THEY OPEN THE KIT, THIS PAPER WILL BE INSIDE:

th_TUET5800Trannyrebuild017.jpg

So get this, talk about pissed off. So after much debate on this whole TSB, I decided to call the local dealership here in NV, Gaudin Ford. I spoke to the service writer who states that because this is NOT an official Ford recall, no dealer is allowed to order the parts or do the repair UNTIL the car has issues, or exhibits a problem related to the TSB. So basically a guy like me, who garages the car (600 miles in one year), we may never experience the issue, or at least in time to get it repaired under warranty. :banghead:

Yet an other f-ed :censored: up issue, known to all, that buying a 50K+ car makes no difference.

So BIG question here, anyone know of a REAL dealer here in NV??

So get this, talk about pissed off. So after much debate on this whole TSB, I decided to call the local dealership here in NV, Gaudin Ford. I spoke to the service writer who states that because this is NOT an official Ford recall, no dealer is allowed to order the parts or do the repair UNTIL the car has issues, or exhibits a problem related to the TSB. So basically a guy like me, who garages the car (600 miles in one year), we may never experience the issue, or at least in time to get it repaired under warranty. :banghead:

Yet an other f-ed :censored: up issue, known to all, that buying a 50K+ car makes no difference.

..if ford is not careful, a class action lawsuit may result from this. There is certainly enough documentation to push it to that.

..if ford is not careful, a class action lawsuit may result from this. There is certainly enough documentation to push it to that.

Well, heaven forbid I go on one of my rants, but I agree. They sell this "limited" edition car, 50K + for it, and even with a known problem, you have to beg to get things fixed. Like I said in another post, just an expensive Mustang GT with more HP. We may not feel that way about it, but Ford and Shelby must!

Not to interrupt the conversation here, but I've got an update on my repair work :talkhand::hysterical:

We ended up putting almost 2k miles on her last weekend at Terlingua. My wife drove it all the way home as I trailered another car (with a bad clutch :doh: ) back to Oklahoma. Everything is still working great. My wife even commented that she liked the new clutch way better than the old one.

Not to interrupt the conversation here, but I've got an update on my repair work :talkhand::hysterical:

We ended up putting almost 2k miles on her last weekend at Terlingua. My wife drove it all the way home as I trailered another car (with a bad clutch :doh: ) back to Oklahoma. Everything is still working great. My wife even commented that she liked the new clutch way better than the old one.

Now that's some great test results. 2000 miles. :shift:

I'm liking this report. :happy feet:

What a pain! I live in NY but our daughter is in LV and I've heard of Team Ford up on Drexel Road. They're the Ford dealer that reportedly gives good parts discounts to online buyers. Dunno if they're a totally different corporation or if they're related to Gaudin in some way but they appear to be separate.

Dan

**Update** - sorry for the long post

So I talked to the service advisor on Thursday morning, turns out that the technician decided upon himself that the tranny rebuild wasnt needed even though he was told when the car came in that he would be re-building the trans as thats the only reason the car was sent there. The tech did have the tranny rebuild kit for the car didnt read the TSB and had the tranny out mon-wed just sitting there waiting for a throw out bearing and decided not to tell anyone.

So i got really pissed and frustrated that the lied to me the whole time. So I asked now what and what are you going to give me for this BS. Well they offered me the short throw shifter at cost and no labor to install. I said fine and that i needed the car at the lastest on Saturday so i could enter it into the Queen Mary show. Service advisor said it shouldnt be a problem that they had thur-sat to finish it up so i said cool. I called them friday to see the status and they said it is going well, the tech had pulled the trans and took it apart and he sent me pictures. All he needed to do is clean, inspect and put it back together with the kit. So far so good, i called them Saturday to see when i could pick up the car. He told me he had more bad news, the tech hurt himself and took off friday at lunch and didnt come back till 5pm with a cast on his foot!!! What have i done in my life to deserve this crap! I asked why wasnt i told Friday night?, why did i have to call to get an update to find out? Just more apologizing and see what they can do on Monday to get their other tech on the job.

So today, i called to see what they are doing. They said they have the tech sceduled to start the work tuesday but they are having problems tracking down acouple of tools that they need for the tranny as the ones they have are broken... great more bad news!! Theyve been calling other dealers to borrower the tools, no ones got them, they put in a call to the local Ford tech institue to see if they can borrow their tools. So i called Galpin ford and talked to the service directors office, they told me if the dealer will release the car, have them tow it up here with the parts and they can finish the work in 24 hours. So i called Ford customer service and gave them the whole story..man they were pissed with the way i have been treated, they have escelated my problems and should be giving me a call tues. I told the current dealer it is at that Galpin can finish the work with no problem and get it done in 24 hours, they come back to say please give us till tomorrow to see if they can get the tools from the ford tech school and that we have ordered the tools to complete the job and should have one of them by wed and the other next week. I am not going to let them keep my car for another week because of broken tools. if the ford tech school wont let them borrower theirs, im telling them to send the car to Galpin

So thats where i stand.. its really screwed up and im pissed off..almost three weeks without the car and the dealer has had the parts for almost two weeks.

Wow,

What a nightmare.

The tool list scared me too. I made a list of all the tools needed. There are a dozen or so that are required to do the job. Each tool has a part number so they could buy them if they need too.

Sorry your having troubles.

just curious, are u guys keeping all the old parts from the tsb for originality down the road just in case if the car is somewhat collectible ? i know grabber kept his tranny but how about rest of the tsb replacement parts? or is it just a waste of room in the garage. thanks

just curious, are u guys keeping all the old parts from the tsb for originality down the road just in case if the car is somewhat collectible ? i know grabber kept his tranny but how about rest of the tsb replacement parts? or is it just a waste of room in the garage. thanks

Worn out syncros and a bad input shaft is wasted space IMO. Plus that stuff has to be sent back to Ford for credit on the TSB.

Well, heaven forbid I go on one of my rants, but I agree. They sell this "limited" edition car, 50K + for it, and even with a known problem, you have to beg to get things fixed. Like I said in another post, just an expensive Mustang GT with more HP. We may not feel that way about it, but Ford and Shelby must!

PMing you with a SVT engineer email and a phone number in Dearborn to a person named Lynn. More in the PM. They'll get you taken care of.

Had a chance to bring my 07 in for the TSB at 14,451 miles. They are giving me grief about the clutch being a wear and tear item at Frontier Ford in Santa Clara. I expained to them it was a manufacturing issue that cause the problem not driver error or abuse.

I will get an answer this week hopefully in my favor.

Had a chance to bring my 07 in for the TSB at 14,451 miles. They are giving me grief about the clutch being a wear and tear item at Frontier Ford in Santa Clara. I expained to them it was a manufacturing issue that cause the problem not driver error or abuse.

I will get an answer this week hopefully in my favor.

It's not the clutch that's the offending part, it's the flywheel.

It's not the clutch that's the offending part, it's the flywheel.

Yes I know about the flywheel, they at first gave me grief since it was a clutch slipping issue when I brough it. Talked to the SVT guy and eveything is all good.

SO here is the update.

They are giving me all new parts on the TSB except for the Trannsmission rebuild/replacement.

They said my synchros were not worn at all and this is true as I am very conscience on how I drive and shift. Plus I know how the tranny feels.

Am I going to be good to go or will it eventually have to comeback for the Transmission rebuild.

Archived