TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Official TSB #08-16-4: Clutch Drag REPAIR RESULTS

m81mclaren

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have to find another dealer that will put up in the air for me to inspect the build date. This weekend I am headed up to a dealer in RI so maybe I'll get lucky and see if they will help me out while I am there.

What is your build date ?

Going to Tasca, forgot to mention that.

Late last summer I brought mine to my Ford dealer and they informed me that Ford would not authorize them to do the TSB at that time. A month later I called Dennis Gomes at Tasca and told him what was happening with my Shelby. He told me to bring it in and after they checked it out they approved me for the full TSB repair. My problem then was time, winter approaching, and back ordered parts. By the time all the parts were in I had taken it off the road for the winter. I plan to bring it back to Tasca as soon as it rains and gets rid of all the salt up here. Tasca has a very nice set-up and from what I could see a very knowledgable staff for our Shelby's. Good luck with yours and please keep us updated.

Late last summer I brought mine to my Ford dealer and they informed me that Ford would not authorize them to do the TSB at that time. A month later I called Dennis Gomes at Tasca and told him what was happening with my Shelby. He told me to bring it in and after they checked it out they approved me for the full TSB repair. My problem then was time, winter approaching, and back ordered parts. By the time all the parts were in I had taken it off the road for the winter. I plan to bring it back to Tasca as soon as it rains and gets rid of all the salt up here. Tasca has a very nice set-up and from what I could see a very knowledgable staff for our Shelby's. Good luck with yours and please keep us updated.

Thanks for the information, I will keep you all posted for sure.

vin number is 1ZVHT88S195129554

Your car was built on Friday 8/15 according to my friends data base. Sorry to give you that news. :cry:

We have another member with that build date that posted his car has the nodular flywheel. Here is some data from the fly wheel thread.

Build date: 7/22/08 - Old style flywheel (nodular iron with slots)

Build date: 8/12/08 - Old style flywheel (sn 129368 nodular iron with slots)

Build date: 8-15-08 - Old style flywheel (nodular iron with slots)

Build date: 8/19/08 - New style flywheel (non slotted thicker 4100 series steel)

Build date: 8/27/08 - New style flywheel (non slotted thicker 4100 series steel)

Your car was built on Friday 8/15 according to my friends data base. Sorry tom give you that news. :cry:

We have another member with that build date that posted his car has the nodular flywheel. Here is some data from the fly wheel thread.

Build date: 8/19/08 - New style flywheel (non slotted thicker 4100 series steel)

Build date: 8/27/08 - New style flywheel (non slotted thicker 4100 series steel)

I would rather know I am a candidate for the new pieces then be left not sure.....please send my thanks where applicable. Grabber you are a great assest to all of us.

I will have to find a dealer hopefully local to Nrth Jersey to do the TSB. I'll keep you guys posted. Current mileage is 1000

I just wanted to thank all of u guys in here for keeping me informed on the tsb. I just got my car out of storage and took it to the dealership and they didnt ask anything they just ordered the parts it goes in next week. thanks for everything (Gradder)

• 2 weeks later...

OK, it has been 250 miles since TSB. At first the clutch was smooth/light, now has become more normal/firm with no hiss. Yet the d_mn chatter has returned. I have to give it more throttle than before to escape the chattering. What gives? Taking it back this next week.

Mine went in today for the tsb can't wait to drive it and thanks for all the great info in here

My 2000 GT500, build date 6/20/07 has 2700 miles. I do not have any of the problems I have read about on the forum. I believe I have read everything that has been posted about the clutch drag problem. Shifting, both up and down, are silky smoothg, no clutch chatter, even on an incline. I am very pleased with everything. The concern I have is I have read it is not "if", but "when" the problems will occur. My dealer will do the TSB. They know what new parts are needed, steel flywheel, nickel hub clutch, input shaft, etc. They have an excellent Tech to do the job. Should I have them do it while I have the opportunity. I am worried about the post TSB problems that are possible. Probably this is a "no brainer" and I should have it done. But then again, do I fix it when it is not broken? Thoughts? Thanks.

Denny

Hi everyone, I just bought a 2008 GT500 and was wondering if all 2008s before the Aug. ~19 date have the clutch issue? Mine is a very early 2008. Thanks Great forum!

As soon as you heat it up enough to warp the flywheel, you will have the issue.

Study this thread:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...ic=35706&hl=

Just picked mine up from having the TSB done. First impression, WOW, this is the way it should have felt new (there were only 3 miles on the clock when I took delivery, 11,600 now, 20% of those miles in stop and go. Build date of 5/08), pedel effort is lighter, engagement is smoother, no chatter, and its hard to comment on the difference in smoothness between gears because I had the SPP shifter installed during the TSB so that is completely different but I love the shifter, very positive feel to the shifts.

I had only a very mild symptom of a problem with the factory clutch, tough shifts when cold was about it but one thing I noticed that led me to believe that the flywheel may be warped was having the car running and in gear, just letting the clutch out enough to just begin to hear the hiss of clutch engagement, I noticed that the hiss was not constant but a hiss-hiss-hiss-hiss, this made me think that one part of the flywheel was a tad higher (or lower) than the rest of the flywheel=warped flywheel. Maybe I am wrong there but it was enough to convince me to have it done and I was closing in on 12k miles and didn't want that to play into wether they dealer would do it or not, plus its new parts! Now I just hope that I will have none of the post TSB symptoms.

BTW, TSB was performed at Galpin Ford.

I called rodeo ford in Plano TX on thursday of last week. they said they would order the parts and call me when they got here. Call yesterday said everything was in and to bring it in. I dropped it off this morning, they said it would be a couple of days. they also asked me if I wanted a ford racing shifter installed at the same time. Nice. did not even have to ask. I will let you know how it goes.

I am going to have the TSB done. As many others have stated, the data and pictures posted by Grabber have been very helpful to understand the problem. I have printed all the pictures of the parts that have been posted so I can make a visual check when my parts arrive. Thanks.

The CSC, Concentric Slave Cylinder, is not part of the new parts. Since the tranny has to be pulled to replace it, should I request to have it done at this time? Is it common to have this part fail? I would expect I would pay for this additional part.

Denny

I am going to have the TSB done. As many others have stated, the data and pictures posted by Grabber have been very helpful to understand the problem. I have printed all the pictures of the parts that have been posted so I can make a visual check when my parts arrive. Thanks.

The CSC, Concentric Slave Cylinder, is not part of the new parts. Since the tranny has to be pulled to replace it, should I request to have it done at this time? Is it common to have this part fail? I would expect I would pay for this additional part.

Denny

The CSC is about a $90 part and takes 5 minutes if that to install. 2 bolts and one fitting connection. Not a bad idea to have them do it. Just buy the part and give it to them and I bet they will do it for free.

Just picked mine up from having the TSB done. First impression, WOW, this is the way it should have felt new (there were only 3 miles on the clock when I took delivery, 11,600 now, 20% of those miles in stop and go. Build date of 5/08), pedel effort is lighter, engagement is smoother, no chatter, and its hard to comment on the difference in smoothness between gears because I had the SPP shifter installed during the TSB so that is completely different but I love the shifter, very positive feel to the shifts.

I had only a very mild symptom of a problem with the factory clutch, tough shifts when cold was about it but one thing I noticed that led me to believe that the flywheel may be warped was having the car running and in gear, just letting the clutch out enough to just begin to hear the hiss of clutch engagement, I noticed that the hiss was not constant but a hiss-hiss-hiss-hiss, this made me think that one part of the flywheel was a tad higher (or lower) than the rest of the flywheel=warped flywheel. Maybe I am wrong there but it was enough to convince me to have it done and I was closing in on 12k miles and didn't want that to play into wether they dealer would do it or not, plus its new parts! Now I just hope that I will have none of the post TSB symptoms.

BTW, TSB was performed at Galpin Ford.

You mentioned "=warp flywheel" did that mean yours was warped & did you see it?

As soon as you heat it up enough to warp the flywheel, you will have the issue.

Study this thread:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...ic=35706&hl=

Grabber, I had mine (TSB) replaced 2 wks ago. I did not have time to watch install. Does the new clutch hiss at all since it does not have vents? My tech told me he has my "old" parts if I wanted to use them in the future. WTF does that mean???

Grabber, I had mine (TSB) replaced 2 wks ago. I did not have time to watch install. Does the new clutch hiss at all since it does not have vents? My tech told me he has my "old" parts if I wanted to use them in the future. WTF does that mean???

The vents don't have anything to do with the normal hissing. The clutch will hiss as you let it out in 1st and reverse. That is normal. I'm not sure what you would want the old parts for except just to see them and understand how bad they were. They are not worth anything.

OK, it has been 250 miles since TSB. At first the clutch was smooth/light, now has become more normal/firm with no hiss. Yet the d_mn chatter has returned. I have to give it more throttle than before to escape the chattering. What gives? Taking it back this next week.

Sounds pretty much like what mine did. I can tell you that mine seems a bit more prone to chatter than before the (TSB) steel flywheel was installed. I can also tell you that it has started to get better after several hundred miles, I'm sure some of it has to do with me learning how to drive it correctly and some because it just got better with a little wear.

The hardest part is parking in my garage because the driveway is uphill, so I have to be more carefull. I would not consider having Ford change the darn thing again only to have the same results. Hope my experience helps you.

LuckySnake

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

You very well could be having this problem because the clutch has some air in the lines.

I want you to try this proceedure the next 10 times you use your car.

*Do this before you start your car.*

1. Do not start the car.

2. put the car in nuetral.

3. pump the clutch pedal 10-15 times.

4. then pump the brake pedal 3-5 times untill it's hard.

Then start the car. I think you will find the noise is gone. You need to do this proceedure about 10 times to get the air worked out of the lines completely.

If this does not work....which I think it will. You will need to have the CSC replaced.

That means pulling the tranny again.

Well I hate to say it but my car has to go back in. My shifting is very very notchy and crunchy. Such a pain in the rear. I have put 1,000 miles on the car since the TSB was completed. Grabber, any suggestions for me when I go back to the dealer? I have the good transmission per build date, however does it need to be re-built now as well? I think my CSC is bad too.

Thanks,

Jim

• 2 years later...

Your car was built on Friday 8/15 according to my friends data base. Sorry to give you that news. :cry:

So I picked up my 09 GT500 about a week ago (based on my VIN it was born on 8/27/08). The clutch is slipping pretty badly. Initially I thought it was just breaking traction, but it's slipping in 5th and 6th gear :rant2: The clutch engagement is WAY at the top of the pedal, and it's really rough going into reverse. during spirited driving one time and the clutch fully engaged, I bumped the 1st to 2nd gear synchro. My car has about 13k miles on it. Does this qualify for the TSB?!

So I picked up my 09 GT500 about a week ago (based on my VIN it was born on 8/27/08). The clutch is slipping pretty badly. Initially I thought it was just breaking traction, but it's slipping in 5th and 6th gear :rant2: The clutch engagement is WAY at the top of the pedal, and it's really rough going into reverse. during spirited driving one time and the clutch fully engaged, I bumped the 1st to 2nd gear synchro. My car has about 13k miles on it. Does this qualify for the TSB?!

Sounds like it does ...bring a copy of the TSB when you go to the dealer just in case they're not up to speed on the issue.

Archived