TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Official TSB #08-16-4: Clutch Drag REPAIR RESULTS

m81mclaren

No problem Jim. ;)

Let us know how it all works out.

Picking up the car tomorrow. I'm a little concerned and I'm not sure if I should be. The service manager said they replaced that clutch per the TSB and went ahead and replaced the input shaft as well, even though it showed no signs of damage. I asked why and his response was that they wanted to make sure they completed the entire job by the book / TSB. If it was in good condition, should it have been replaced? Not sure whether or not they replaced the pilot bearing. Grabber, if you have any thoughts, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks.

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just picked up my car after having the full TSB completed. The master tech said the old parts were in perfect shape but they did the full replacement anyway. My first impressions are that the shifting quality is completely different now, much smoother, feels like a new car. As a matter of fact, I needed some time to readjust to the smoothness and ease of the clutch. I'll have to wait until spring to actually put some miles on it since I just put it away for the winter, but so far I like it much better.

I got my tsb done about 2 months ago. It was a completly different cat to drive. The engagement was close to the floor. The shifting was smoother and there is NO hiss when the clutch is disengaged and in gear. I have put about 2000 miles on since and some really hard runs I will admit. It is working perfectly and I do believe it will last a good while. It was very dicey with Ford for me as I have moved to New Zealand and thye did not want to take care of it. But I found a great Ford dealer in Christchurch and they new a person in Detroit and got it done for me. I am now a happy camper.

I got my tsb done about 2 months ago. It was a completly different cat to drive. The engagement was close to the floor. The shifting was smoother and there is NO hiss when the clutch is disengaged and in gear. I have put about 2000 miles on since and some really hard runs I will admit. It is working perfectly and I do believe it will last a good while. It was very dicey with Ford for me as I have moved to New Zealand and thye did not want to take care of it. But I found a great Ford dealer in Christchurch and they new a person in Detroit and got it done for me. I am now a happy camper.

Those good guys are now gone. SVT now subcontracts all there work to Roush. Ford let go a bunch of good SVT guys.

Picking up the car tomorrow. I'm a little concerned and I'm not sure if I should be. The service manager said they replaced that clutch per the TSB and went ahead and replaced the input shaft as well, even though it showed no signs of damage. I asked why and his response was that they wanted to make sure they completed the entire job by the book / TSB. If it was in good condition, should it have been replaced? Not sure whether or not they replaced the pilot bearing. Grabber, if you have any thoughts, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks.

I don`t know if Grabber answered you but the new imput shaft must be changed if you look at the two there is a difference in the spline .I believe they opened it up to give it more clearance so it doesn`t bind in the clutch spline. How were your synchros?

Pretty much Dan.

I found this out last week after chatting to a friend that was just recently let go about a month ago. Roush now does his job.

Well, I can understand that for selected outsourcing since Roush is a Ford strategic supplier now and SVT engineers are critical skills so do wear a couple of hats these days (doing 'mothership' and FRPP work, etc) but I'm thinking the Roush stuff would be just the stuff not worth dedicating native Ford resources too :shrug: ...who knows.

The ilot bearing is part of the TSB kit so I'm sure they replaced it.

Not only does the new input shaft have wider splines...it is broached smoother too.

Thanks for the feedback folks. The TSB is complete. First impressions are not great. The clutch is much lighter which is nice, however on start up, unless depressed, it is making a strange whirling / rattling noise. Depresss the clutch and it goes away. Secondly, the shifting is now very notchy. Much more than before, but at least there is no more crunching while shifting. Lastly, the chatter is just as bad as before, but I suspect that is normal. I'm going to drive it for a while before I go back and will provide another update in a bit. Grabber, any thoughts on the noise the clutch is making while not engaged? The dealer said the syncros were fine on the transmission.

The gear roll over noise in nuetral is normal per Ford. They all seem to do it to some degree.

Put a few miles on it and report back.

Sorry your having problems.

I agree about the gear roll over noise. I have always had that and still do. This is in addition. I'll keep driving and report back. Thanks again for all of your help and suggestions.

From all that I've read so far, it seems that the consensus it to get the TSB done, as it is only a matter of time. I have very low mileage, and will likely put less than 4000 miles per year on my car - build date 4/15/08.

Based on the build date, I know that mine is a candidate for the TSB once issues show up. No issues so far that I've detected.

Is it a safe bet to wait until I get closer to the 3 year mark before taking it in, assuming I don't see issues earlier?

If there are the numbers of Shelbys that require this TSB, why isn't there a recall? Are those owners who may not be aware of a potential clutch / tranny problem not entitled to know about this and cost of the work when the warranty expires?

I approached my Ford dealer who told me that the TSB did not apply for my Shelby; it was only for vehicles driven in heavy stop and go traffic. Then went on to say that if the TSB were done, I would degrade the performance of the vehicle. Then went on to say that the warranty on clutches was only good for a year.

I don't know about the others, but I paid a lot of money for this Shelby and I want the warranty to mean something. I shouldn't have to chase Ford to do something about a design flaw; especially considering that these are premium priced vehicles.

Any comments?

The gear roll over noise in nuetral is normal per Ford. They all seem to do it to some degree.

Put a few miles on it and report back.

Sorry your having problems.

Rob Could it be his slave cylinder bearing making the noise as he stated it goes away when depressed. When I picked mine up I only put 10 miles on it but had it out the other day & now I can here the rattling noise which sounds like the slave brg. I never had this noise on the old one.

If there are the numbers of Shelbys that require this TSB, why isn't there a recall? Are those owners who may not be aware of a potential clutch / tranny problem not entitled to know about this and cost of the work when the warranty expires?

I approached my Ford dealer who told me that the TSB did not apply for my Shelby; it was only for vehicles driven in heavy stop and go traffic. Then went on to say that if the TSB were done, I would degrade the performance of the vehicle. Then went on to say that the warranty on clutches was only good for a year.

I don't know about the others, but I paid a lot of money for this Shelby and I want the warranty to mean something. I shouldn't have to chase Ford to do something about a design flaw; especially considering that these are premium priced vehicles.

Any comments?

Only one "Find A dealer that knows what he is talking about"

Only one "Find A dealer that knows what he is talking about"

08 GT500 vert - Something else I have a problem with that may be related to the clutch issue is that the brake lights come on when the clutch is depressed. The brake pedal isn't touched. The brake lights may stay on even if the car is parked and locked. If I mess with the clutch pedal they will eventually go out, but will kill the battery if I miss checking them. Is this because there is a problem with the clutch hydraulics? Has anyone else experienced this?

From all that I've read so far, it seems that the consensus it to get the TSB done, as it is only a matter of time. I have very low mileage, and will likely put less than 4000 miles per year on my car - build date 4/15/08.

Based on the build date, I know that mine is a candidate for the TSB once issues show up. No issues so far that I've detected.

Is it a safe bet to wait until I get closer to the 3 year mark before taking it in, assuming I don't see issues earlier?

From what I've read and heard, some people do not have symptoms of the issue for years, whereas other exhibit them right away. I've also heard of a few TS members having no problems, and then the next day their clutch fails. Point is, it seems clear that it can happen at any time, and you are probably better off safe than sorry. I really had very minor crunching when shifting from 2nd to 3rd, but took it anyway. The tech inspected it, test drove and confirmed that I needed the work done. Nice thing is once it's done, they can't give you a hard time for any related future issues or problems.

Any comments?

I rarely drive in stop and go traffic. They are incorrect and should perform the service. Print out the TSB and bring it to the dealer with you. If they still deny your request, you either need to find another dealer who knows what they're doing or call Ford Corporate directly and they will have you taken care of.

I rarely drive in stop and go traffic. They are incorrect and should perform the service. Print out the TSB and bring it to the dealer with you. If they still deny your request, you either need to find another dealer who knows what they're doing or call Ford Corporate directly and they will have you taken care of.

+1

+1

+1

Rob Could it be his slave cylinder bearing making the noise as he stated it goes away when depressed. When I picked mine up I only put 10 miles on it but had it out the other day & now I can here the rattling noise which sounds like the slave brg. I never had this noise on the old one.

From what I had experienced...the CSC bearing made a whine noise.

Remember this noise that I had:

th_Mar082008-VID00001.jpg

I picked up the car today after the TSB and drove the 25 miles back home.

There is a big differrence from when I took it in. It shifts like a hot knife through butter and the clutch chatter is totally gone.

The clutch is noticably easier to depress and seems to engage closer to the floorboard.

Shifting into all gears is much smoother and no grind at all.

Could not be happier with the dealership. They took great care with my car . I took oil and filter with me and they even changed it for no charge.

Hey guys

I have a 09 GT500. Starting to feel signs of what everyone here has described. I bought mine from Village Ford of Ridegwood NJ. I stopped there this past weekend, started to explain the clutch issue to the Svc Mgr and I was looked at like a deer in headlights.....has any TS members had the TSB issued fixed in Northern NJ area? Would love to go to a dealership that is familiar with the repair.

Hey guys

I have a 09 GT500. Starting to feel signs of what everyone here has described. I bought mine from Village Ford of Ridegwood NJ. I stopped there this past weekend, started to explain the clutch issue to the Svc Mgr and I was looked at like a deer in headlights.....has any TS members had the TSB issued fixed in Northern NJ area? Would love to go to a dealership that is familiar with the repair.

Was your 2009 built prior to 8/19/08 ?

That's it. Exact same noise. Any cause for concern or do you just deal with it?

You very well could be having this problem because the clutch has some air in the lines.

I want you to try this proceedure the next 10 times you use your car.

*Do this before you start your car.*

1. Do not start the car.

2. put the car in nuetral.

3. pump the clutch pedal 10-15 times.

4. then pump the brake pedal 3-5 times untill it's hard.

Then start the car. I think you will find the noise is gone. You need to do this proceedure about 10 times to get the air worked out of the lines completely.

If this does not work....which I think it will. You will need to have the CSC replaced.

That means pulling the tranny again.

This is the CSC:

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts106.jpg

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts107.jpg

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts108.jpg

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts109.jpg

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts117.jpg

Looking back at this thread, I think Grabber should be a paid consultant for Ford on the clutch TSB. I think we should start a petition and send it to Ford. :drool:

I agree. Ford owes you a debt of gratitude for all of your help with these cars Grabber. I know we all say thank you, but that doesn't seem like enough. Again, I am grateful for your advice and for being a memeber of Team Shelby. I'll post again after I have completed your suggested procedure.

Jim

I agree. Ford owes you a debt of gratitude for all of your help with these cars Grabber. I know we all say thank you, but that doesn't seem like enough. Again, I am grateful for your advice and for being a memeber of Team Shelby. I'll post again after I have completed your suggested procedure.

Jim

+1!!

CC

Archived