TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Official TSB #08-16-4: Clutch Drag REPAIR RESULTS

m81mclaren

Username- Big_Slick737 11/15/07 5800 mi.

YEAR- 2008 Coupe

Symptoms (clutch drag, grinding, chatter, etc.)- Grinding and chatter

TSB items actually installed (please indicate if you also have previously received a new transmission) No

ALL TSB items

Results after 100 Mi.- Working Great so far.

Results after 500 Mi.: pending

Results after 1k Mi.- TBD

Shifting is much easier, still felt a bit of crunching when putting the car into 1st and shifting to 2nd for about the first 50miles. That has gone away for the most part. I also had to move my seat forward a notch up to make sure I was getting it all the way to the floor, that seemed to help also. I'm somewhere close to 200mi on mine so far and it is feeling much better the more miles I put on her.

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Username- Big_Slick737 11/15/07 5800 mi.

YEAR- 2008 Coupe

Symptoms (clutch drag, grinding, chatter, etc.)- Grinding and chatter

TSB items actually installed (please indicate if you also have previously received a new transmission) No

ALL TSB items

Results after 100 Mi.- Working Great so far.

Results after 500 Mi.: pending

Results after 1k Mi.- TBD

Shifting is much easier, still felt a bit of crunching when putting the car into 1st and shifting to 2nd for about the first 50miles. That has gone away for the most part. I also had to move my seat forward a notch up to make sure I was getting it all the way to the floor, that seemed to help also. I'm somewhere close to 200mi on mine so far and it is feeling much better the more miles I put on her.

Thats good news keep us posted.

Thats good news keep us posted.

I had the complete TSB done last week and have driven 130 miles or so. I am hearing chatter in 1st and 2nd whihc sometimes sounds like some is loose (before I had the chatter but this seems worse). I also now have wheel hop if the tires start spinning form a dead or rolling stop which I never had before the TSB. Anybody know what may cause this?

I had the complete TSB done last week and have driven 130 miles or so. I am hearing chatter in 1st and 2nd whihc sometimes sounds like some is loose (before I had the chatter but this seems worse). I also now have wheel hop if the tires start spinning form a dead or rolling stop which I never had before the TSB. Anybody know what may cause this?

I can`t believe the TSB would effect wheel hop but the noise chatter you should have checked . Do you notice a difference in clutch travel for engagement?

Exact same result as mine. Now does your clutch start and end in the first 1/3 of pressing in the pedal? Soes it feel like it should engage deeper in teh pedal travel? The wheel hop is something new to me and it feels extreme. I assumed that is a result of getting deeper in the tire tread and having a little more traction but the fact that it is happening after the TSB leaves me a little baffled.

I can`t believe the TSB would effect wheel hop but the noise chatter you should have checked . Do you notice a difference in clutch travel for engagement?

I did notice that the clutch is easier to release, has a lower release point, is not as hard to depress and shifting is smooth. It just has a lot of chatter and that wheel hop had never happened before which is driving me nuts. I am taking it by today and the service manager is going to take a ride.

relopez98

2007 (built May 2006)

13,500 +

Cluth drag, grinding, chatter, failed hiss test, failed 1-r test, very hard to get into 1st or reverse

TSB done and returned on 2/13/09, full TSB but rebuilt tranny, not a new one

100 miles: 1st day shifted great, rest have been crap. Chatter, failed hiss test last night, locked me out of 1st this morning, shifting is like forcing a round peg in a square hole.

500 MI: pending but outlook is bleak

1000 MI: hope I still own it by then

I have mine scheuled to be installed at Rodeo Ford in Plano on Wednesday this week. They have done quite a few and my parts are in so is there any question I can ask to insure I am getting the correct parts? Also, I will be livid if they grind and scratch up part on my car!

I will update how mine goes to the group once all is complete.

I'm curious to see if you end up w/ the same post tsb problems that I'm having:

1st day was awesome, rest have been dismal and make be think that they "missed" something. It should be shifting much easier and it isnt.

Oh, they'll take care of the car and wash it, etc.

Let me know how it went after you get yours back.

I'm curious to see if you end up w/ the same post tsb problems that I'm having:

1st day was awesome, rest have been dismal and make be think that they "missed" something. It should be shifting much easier and it isnt.

Oh, they'll take care of the car and wash it, etc.

Let me know how it went after you get yours back.

Since the full TSB, I have not had any problems shifting as it is smooth along with the clutch pressure and release point. I still have some chatter in 1st and 2nd gear which they say is normal due to the rollover bearing and I had some wheel hop when getting on it but this could be me getting used to the new clutch. Today at lunch and I took the service manager and mechanic for a ride and they said to drive it for a while and let them know if I still thought there was a problem. I have about 150 miles on the TSB.

Hope you get yours taken care of as that has to be frustrating!

Ok so I have almost 2000 miles on my TSB, 4900 total miles on my car. I went to the track on Friday night, and missed my 1st to 2nd shifts on two passes because I just could not get my car into gear. At the end of the night when leaving it was very hard to get the car into 1st or reverse. The clutch also almost felt like it had a point where it would completely release instead of gradually relaseing. On Saturday morning, I go to drive the car and it feels normal again. WTF do I do now? Any advice would help!

2007 Shelby GT500 - 40th Anniversary Limited Edition

Clutch failure occurred at 13,000 miles

Transmission completely shut down while going 70mph on highway

Only prior symptom was difficulty shifting into Reverse. Didn't perceive it to be a huge problem...until complete failure.

Battling with Dealership & Ford right now trying to get it covered. Warranty is 12 month / 12,000 miles. I'm fighting it on the basis that the clutch wasn't designed properly, hence the TSB and complete redeign of the entire clutch assembly.

Since so many of the clutches have failed, I'm threatening Ford with a possible class action lawsuit to reimburse all those that are out of pocket and/or those whose warranty coverage has expired prior to getting the TSB service. Hence this post.

relopez98

2007 (built May 2006)

13,500 +

Cluth drag, grinding, chatter, failed hiss test, failed 1-r test, very hard to get into 1st or reverse

TSB done and returned on 2/13/09, full TSB but rebuilt tranny, not a new one

100 miles: 1st day shifted great, rest have been crap. Chatter, failed hiss test last night, locked me out of 1st this morning, shifting is like forcing a round peg in a square hole.

500 MI: pending but outlook is bleak

1000 MI: hope I still own it by then

Was the TSB done under warranty since you have 13,500 miles or did you incur the repair charges?

Took my my GT 500 in today and spoke with a Master service tech, and laid out my problem (hard getting in 1st gear, reverse, the sound of grinding as i'm going from 1st to 2nd gear) Master Tech said the syncros have to be changed, and that they are aware of the TSB, but its going to be about 2 weeks to get the parts in, (is that true "2 WEEKS") ? so now I had to leave my baby at the dealership..... :cry:

Guest markham51

Only prior symptom was difficulty shifting into Reverse. Didn't perceive it to be a huge problem...until complete failure.

Battling with Dealership & Ford right now trying to get it covered. Warranty is 12 month / 12,000 miles. I'm fighting it on the basis that the clutch wasn't designed properly, hence the TSB and complete redeign of the entire clutch assembly.

Since so many of the clutches have failed, I'm threatening Ford with a possible class action lawsuit to reimburse all those that are out of pocket and/or those whose warranty coverage has expired prior to getting the TSB service. Hence this post.

Warm up ypur printer and document document document.

Here is the problem.....

Here is the fix....(show pics)

Other Ford dealers are fixing under warranty (regardless of miles etc)

Here are details from tons of others.....

I had mine fixed last month under warranty even though it was one of first built and was a 725SS

You have to invest some time so they know you have your sh*t together. Ford techs can make or break you. If they think you are just another abuser (ie they jump to conclusions) you can lose the fight before you start.

Good luck

Mark

I had the full tsb done last week.while my car didn't really have many symptoms it did have some grinding between 1st and 2nd.I dont't drive it much it has about 1300 mi. on it right now. I was coming up on a year and did not want to take a chance and have to pay for this out of my pocket.I have not driven it much since,but i can say that backing into my driveway which is on an incline not much but still an incline is much easier nowhere near the chatter i used to have and i actually look like i know how to drive again(stalling out,over reving).I did have to take it somewhere other than where i bought it but thats another story.Fortunatly i found a dealership that would work with me and so far everything seems right.i'll write some more after i get some more miles on it.good luck to everyone trying to get this done

i would recommend it. oh yeah it was a $4700 repair

Only waited 2 days for the parts

Since the full TSB, I have not had any problems shifting as it is smooth along with the clutch pressure and release point. I still have some chatter in 1st and 2nd gear which they say is normal due to the rollover bearing and I had some wheel hop when getting on it but this could be me getting used to the new clutch. Today at lunch and I took the service manager and mechanic for a ride and they said to drive it for a while and let them know if I still thought there was a problem. I have about 150 miles on the TSB.

Hope you get yours taken care of as that has to be frustrating!

thanks for responding. the drive home yesterday was much better, seemed to be working itself out, or, my driving style is adjusting.

Either way, weather is getting better, time to drive it. Got about 150 miles on it or so since the TSB and she's coming along.

Problem is not the clutch, its the imput shaft not being lubed or the wrong fly wheel which causes the clutch to hang and not relese. Review some of the other posts from Grabber, his explanation is spot on to getting coverage under warranty.

Whats the 13,500 miles have to do with it this should be covered under the power train warranty ??????????

If you aren't careful on how you "word" the description of your "problem" I have heard that some dealerships are putting the blame on the clutch (which only has a 12k warranty) and saying that the driving habits are the cause of the failure and not the faulty fly wheel.

At least that's my thought as to why the 355XL mentioned my miles.

It was no issue for my TSB, but Grabber "schooled" me before I ever attempted to make it happen.

Update............

250 miles post TSB

Clutch travel and engagment fixed itself!

Still crunching in 1st and 1st to 2nd; rest is fine.

Check Engine light finally stopped blinking (thanks huggy) Idle had to be "relearned" after the battery was disconnected.

Still fails the hiss test after regular driving.

will keep posting as I driver her more. Love that Dallas weather.

• 2 weeks later...

Took my 2008 GT500, built at the end of 2007 with 7,000 miles on it, to Novato Ford yesterday requesting the TSB work. I've had the car for over 12 mos. The service manager said he doubted that it would be covered under warranty as I have had the vehicle for over 12 mos. Called me today and said actually it is covered under warranty and teh clutch work will be done when the parts arrive. They don't believe the transmission will have any damage because it has relatively low miles. I told them the whole TSB should be performed and their response was that they would check it out and determine if the transmission is damaged. I'm close to calling BS on the tranny, but will wait and see what they have to say. By the way, my car was barely showing symptoms, but they are doing the work anyway...which is nice.

Took my 2008 GT500, built at the end of 2007 with 7,000 miles on it, to Novato Ford yesterday requesting the TSB work. I've had the car for over 12 mos. The service manager said he doubted that it would be covered under warranty as I have had the vehicle for over 12 mos. Called me today and said actually it is covered under warranty and teh clutch work will be done when the parts arrive. They don't believe the transmission will have any damage because it has relatively low miles. I told them the whole TSB should be performed and their response was that they would check it out and determine if the transmission is damaged. I'm close to calling BS on the tranny, but will wait and see what they have to say. By the way, my car was barely showing symptoms, but they are doing the work anyway...which is nice.

PM sent.

Home work required.

Username- idrathergolf 13,900 miles

YEAR- 2007

Symptoms were clutch shuddering and clutch slippage. The problems was the clutch was completely worn out after 13,300 miles.

Full TSB performed in January 2009 on original transmission.

Results after 100 Mi.: Shuddering seems to be worse than before and there is grinding in R

Results after 500 Mi.: Same issue but now there is a loud "clanking" noise coming from the bellhousing

Results after 1k Mi.: pending

Today I called the dealership that performed the TSB to check out the symptons. My guess is that they are going to have to tear it apart one more time.

Username- FiaCobra

YEAR- 2008

Current Mileage: 2270

Symptoms (clutch drag, grinding, chatter, etc.) - Complete failure

TSB items actually installed: Flywheel, Clutch & NEW transmission

Results after 100 Mi. TBD

Results after 500 Mi. TBD

Results after 1k Mi. TBD

Was only able to put 7 miles on the car since the repair (bad weather). No problems noted in those 7 miles. Clutch feels normal. Will edit my post when I reach the appropriate mileage.

Archived