TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Official TSB #08-16-4: Clutch Drag REPAIR RESULTS

m81mclaren

I have a question about the tsb's, I posted it in another thread but no one has responded. Are all these tsb's covered under warrenty? I havent really been around the auto industry in about 10 years but from what remember only recalls were covered and tsb's were not. Is this tranny issue that everyone speaks of getting warrentied by Ford? I ask because I am in the middle of purchasing an 07 gt550 convert.

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a question about the tsb's, I posted it in another thread but no one has responded. Are all these tsb's covered under warrenty? I havent really been around the auto industry in about 10 years but from what remember only recalls were covered and tsb's were not. Is this tranny issue that everyone speaks of getting warrentied by Ford? I ask because I am in the middle of purchasing an 07 gt550 convert.

If you are having the problem it sure is .

If your car is experiencing the clutch shutter on take off, hard shifts or moving forward when clutch fully engaged Ford will do the TSB on any of those items if you are within the 3/36,000 mile warranty so just take it into a dealer. Having a senior master tech do the repair would be desirable! I had my 2007 done about 30 days ago with 800 miles, also put the KR shifter in and it is like a new car!!!!!! I also have the EVO stage II on it and it seems to really pull in second now with the new clutch, flywheel, pressure plate and transmission repair. I'm extremely happy with the work done and the result of this repair!!!!!

If your car is experiencing the clutch shutter on take off, hard shifts or moving forward when clutch fully engaged Ford will do the TSB on any of those items if you are within the 3/36,000 mile warranty so just take it into a dealer. Having a senior master tech do the repair would be desirable! I had my 2007 done about 30 days ago with 800 miles, also put the KR shifter in and it is like a new car!!!!!! I also have the EVO stage II on it and it seems to really pull in second now with the new clutch, flywheel, pressure plate and transmission repair. I'm extremely happy with the work done and the result of this repair!!!!!

whats differnt about the kr shifter? i don't even have the car yet. just bought it, should be here in 2 weeks. it's a 1/07 with 1200 miles.

whats differnt about the kr shifter? i don't even have the car yet. just bought it, should be here in 2 weeks. it's a 1/07 with 1200 miles.

It's a short-throw shifter - the throws are 25% shorter than stock and feel firmer. Shifting the stock shifter feels like you're rowing a boat compared to the short-throw shifter; I highly recommend it. Here's a link for more information.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_...rtKeyField=9783

It's a short-throw shifter - the throws are 25% shorter than stock and feel firmer. Shifting the stock shifter feels like you're rowing a boat compared to the short-throw shifter; I highly recommend it. Here's a link for more information.

Cool, yea I know what a short throw is, we have one in the '89. How is it to install one of those? Is there alot of room to work or is it a suck job, lol.

I work in Plano and live in Aubrey. Can you tell me whick dealer you took your GT-500 to to get this TSB done. Mine mainly has the chatter and hiss as well as the occasional shifting issues. I am so leary about who to take it to as I bought at a dealer in Mabank TX and I used to have a 06 GT which I took to Bankston but had issues with them for a rearend problem. I have heard there is a goo service guy at the Lewisville Dealer who owns a GT-500 and is good but can't seem to find his name now.

Thanks,

ShelbyDFW

Cool, yea I know what a short throw is, we have one in the '89. How is it to install one of those? Is there alot of room to work or is it a suck job, lol.

I had mine installed when the tranny was out for the TSB, so I am sure it was a simple swap. It does not look too bad if the car was on a lift, but some have changed it out with the car on jack stands. You have to lower the rear of the tranny some in order to swap the shifter. You can download the installation instruction sheet from this link and judge for yourself:

Transmission gave out last night. Had been noticing more notchiness in shifts recently and more chatter than usual. Luckily I managed to limp into my Ford dealer and will talk to them Monday am. Car is one of the first to be manufactured. It is now an SS 725 so I expect issues with warrantee coverage. It will not shift at all. Car has 9900 miles.

Thanks to all that have contributed to this post. Ill spend the day reviewing it in detail so I can manage the process as best I can.

Has anyone (SS 725 owners) been succesful in getting the TSB done under warranty?

Thanks,

Mark

My transmission started to fail last week as well. the symptoms I have are slippage in 3rd though 6th, shuttering/shaking upon 1st and 2nd, and grinding from 1st to 2nd. I have an 07 that was built in Oct 06. I have a TVS installed which kicks out over 675RWHP and 620 lbs of torque; similar to an SS. Interested if Ford will honor the warranty as well.

I took delivery of my Shelby on 9.2.06. It had a pretty nasty blow up in the end of November '07. The TSB was not yet out but I'd had it a year already and it had 19k, so I got whacked with a $3,200 repair bill at Drew Ford in San Diego. I knew it was gonna grenade again when it started slipping while cruising on the freeway almost a year to the day after the first repair. I found the TSB, took it to Kearny Ford (I now had just over 36K on it) and got the full TSB repair done under warranty. No questions asked. There were no prices on the RO, but the SW told me that the bill was $6,000. So far, so good!

I am now attempting to get reimbursed from Drew Ford for the original repair since they only replaced the clutch and not the full TSB with the trans update. They're giving me a little bit of the outdated "chick" treatment so I'll let you know how it goes.

I took delivery of my Shelby on 9.2.06. It had a pretty nasty blow up in the end of November '07. The TSB was not yet out but I'd had it a year already and it had 19k, so I got whacked with a $3,200 repair bill at Drew Ford in San Diego. I knew it was gonna grenade again when it started slipping while cruising on the freeway almost a year to the day after the first repair. I found the TSB, took it to Kearny Ford (I now had just over 36K on it) and got the full TSB repair done under warranty. No questions asked. There were no prices on the RO, but the SW told me that the bill was $6,000. So far, so good!

I am now attempting to get reimbursed from Drew Ford for the original repair since they only replaced the clutch and not the full TSB with the trans update. They're giving me a little bit of the outdated "chick" treatment so I'll let you know how it goes.

If worse comes to worse, you can always take Drew Ford to Ford's arbitration board to settle the matter. I suspect that that the board would decide in your favor because Kearny Ford did the same job under warranty and with more miles on the car.

Welcome to Team Shelby, and Good luck with your fight.

Note: I highly recommend becoming a full TS member because being one has it's benefits.

• 2 weeks later...

What I don't understand is why don't they replace the clutch/flywheel assembly before it chews up the synchros. It would be alot cheaper for Ford to R&R the tranny and replace the clutch, then make people wait til the symptoms are so obvious that the service department can no longer ignore or claim they don't hear it and now they're paying to tear down the transmission as well.

Guest markham51

Great news. My TSB clutch kit is in and it will be installed tomorrow! I cant wait to try it out. Here is hoping everything goes as planned. My dealer here in Wilmignton NC (Capital Ford) has been awesome. :happy feet:

just an update - I got approved today for a second flywheel and clutch replacement. Service manager acknowledges that the clutch has 'gouges' in it that he can't explain. TSB fully done less than 3K miles ago. I DO NOT drive as hard as many on this board, never been to the track and timed 1/4 miles, etc. The service manger also said he talked to two people at Ford above him - one said I must be driving it too hard and racing a lot (he commented back that it is a 500hp muslce car - so what if he is driving it hard); the other guy he talked to said the problem must be that I was 'sliding' the clutch - that this set-up couldn't handle feathering and to tell me to just 'drop' the clutch everytime!!!!!!!!!!!! New clutch has a different part number than the one used in the TSB 4 months ago, he said the flywheel looks to have the same part number?

Jay

the other guy he talked to said the problem must be that I was 'sliding' the clutch - that this set-up couldn't handle feathering and to tell me to just 'drop' the clutch everytime!!!!!!!!!!!! New clutch has a different part number than the one used in the TSB 4 months ago, he said the flywheel looks to have the same part number?

Jay

Don't know how I can just drop the clutch every time in 1st and not look like an idiot.

• 4 weeks later...

I just crawled under and see that I have the correct new flywheel usings Grabber's suggested inspection slot. I had some chatter again and wantd to be sure that my fast repair did not use old parts. I updated post #1 on this thread with my results so far on TSB#3 in hopes that we can keep this thread alive. I'll update all the other posts here this weekend so we will be current and hope others will use this format to track the success rate of these repairs.

Looks like they were not delicate when doing one of the repairs and it appears I do no thave the trans tunnel flanges some others have or they were ground off during the TSB...

post-3693-1234580353_thumb.jpg

post-3693-1234580364_thumb.jpg

I just crawled under and see that I have the correct new flywheel usings Grabber's suggested inspection slot. I had some chatter again and wantd to be sure that my fast repair did not use old parts. I updated post #1 on this thread with my results so far on TSB#3 in hopes that we can keep this thread alive. I'll update all the other posts here this weekend so we will be current and hope others will use this format to track the success rate of these repairs.

Looks like they were not delicate when doing one of the repairs and it appears I do no thave the trans tunnel flanges some others have or they were ground off during the TSB...

I have mine scheuled to be installed at Rodeo Ford in Plano on Wednesday this week. They have done quite a few and my parts are in so is there any question I can ask to insure I am getting the correct parts? Also, I will be livid if they grind and scratch up part on my car!

I will update how mine goes to the group once all is complete.

I work in Plano and live in Aubrey. Can you tell me whick dealer you took your GT-500 to to get this TSB done. Mine mainly has the chatter and hiss as well as the occasional shifting issues. I am so leary about who to take it to as I bought at a dealer in Mabank TX and I used to have a 06 GT which I took to Bankston but had issues with them for a rearend problem. I have heard there is a goo service guy at the Lewisville Dealer who owns a GT-500 and is good but can't seem to find his name now.

Thanks,

ShelbyDFW

Several Dallas area GT 500 owners have recommended Rodeo Ford in Plano, and I have heard Ford Country in Lewisville is good.

I have mine scheuled to be installed at Rodeo Ford in Plano on Wednesday this week. They have done quite a few and my parts are in so is there any question I can ask to insure I am getting the correct parts? Also, I will be livid if they grind and scratch up part on my car!

I will update how mine goes to the group once all is complete.

Be sure to give us an update, I am thinking of taking mine into Rodeo Ford also. I heard that you should ask for Greg?

Guest markham51

An update on my TSB repair. The guys at my local Ford dealer did an awesome job of the repair. I have about 300 miles on it now and it is holding together well. It feels and shifts much much better than it ever did. The job was done under warranty thank goodness.

The people at my local Ford dealer are absolutely top notch and very supportive.

Now...if they can just fix that check engine light...

AND...thanks to all of you who helped (especially Grabber with his pics). I had a lot of credibility when I went to my dealer initially by being informed and prepared. Thanks guys, I owe you one! :beerchug:

Be sure to give us an update, I am thinking of taking mine into Rodeo Ford also. I heard that you should ask for Greg?

I originally talked to the Service Manager Wayne Osborne but I am workign with Billy Pinson although Greg Hampton is who I dropped off to this morning so I think either is fine. I will let you know more once it is done.

I've got an '08 Vista Blue that I purchased at Sarasota Ford. I bought it at Sarasota Ford because my local Ford dealership, Bay Harbor Ford, in Englewood, (whom I 've purchased an '05 F-150, an '05 Mustang GT, and an '07 Shelby GT) didn't have a GT500 available when I was ready to go. I'd have much rather dealt with Bay Harbor on the purchase, a good hometown dealership, but Sarasota Ford was good during the buy process as well.

Anyway, when my car started acting up, I brought it into Bay Harbor because I knew them well. Don Donnelson is the Finance Manager there, an owner of an '07 GT 500 and member of Team Shelby. I knew that Don would ensure that my baby was well taken care of. Brian, the Service Manager, and Steve B. the Service Tech worked hard to ensure that everything was done correctly- new clutch, flywheel, and when they weren't happy with the synchro/tranny fix, they came across with the whole new one, all done under warranty. It took a little longer than first expected, but being that the 500 isn't my daily driver, I had NO problem with that.

Four hundred miles (and many more smiles, of course) and all is well. I'd like to thank all of the guys at Bay Harbor for helping me out with the whole process. As well, I can't thank all of you at Team Shelby enough for educating me on the TSB, and all of the other things that I learn about while lurking on the forums. As you can see, I've only posted a few times, but that doesn't mean that I don't appreciate all of the great Shelby heads on this forum.

Thanks again for all the great posts.

Wags

Greg, yes, he hooked me up. Had mine in there for about 10 days, returned it to me last Friday in time for my b-day this past Sunday.

I've been able to take it out now three times; Last Friday, Last Wednesday, and now today. First day was great, shifted like a hot knife in warm butter. On Wednesday, heard some crunching going into 1st and reverse. Today when I rolled out of the garage and tried to get it into 1st, I had to really push it into first to have it engage.

My impressions are still unknown at this point, I hope the shifting will get better with more time.

The did the complete TSB, clutch, flywheel and synchro pack (not a new tranny) and they did it quick.

From what I've been reading, this seems normal.

All in all, I'm done worrying about it, I'm gonna enjoy the car and drive it more now w/ the weather getting better. We have a verified history of work done on the car so if the tranny seizes up on me then I'll get a new one, that's what the extended warranty is for anyway. The key was having a history of the work done.

Just my two cents. From now on I'm driving her till she breaks.

I had my TSB done at Bankston Ford Grapevine. They have one guy that does all the work on the GT500's and Ford GT's. Once my parts were in I took it in the morning of Feb 3rd, Picked it up Feb 4th at 5pm. They have done at least 10 TSB's on the GT500 so far. Talk to John Gallagher. They did a good job for me and everything seems good so far. No Issues with the TSB. Drove the car today to work, and have about 200 miles on it since the work was done.

:happy feet:

Archived