TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Official TSB #08-16-4: Clutch Drag REPAIR RESULTS

m81mclaren

Mine is still in the shop...while checking everything out they noticed a small leak from the throwout bearing (slave valve) so they ordered a new one. Oh well...at least they are checking everything out...which is good.

Got mine back on Wed....complete TSB plus slave cylinder replaced. Seems to run pretty strong. What's the procedure for bleeding the clutch out....just want to be sure?

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I took mine in Monday and the dealer still has it. He is doing the TSB work They discovered another bad part. The throw out bearing wasn't staying in the middle. It would get off center. The mechanic and servide manager decided to replace it also. Didn't see that issue when the lubed the shaft last spring. Will let you all know how it turns out. They also got the hood scoop and stripes for my Shelby GT that has been messed up since last spring. Maybe after 8 to 9 months of waiting on parts and fixes I'll have two cars that are both fixed at the same time. The Dealer has been great. He is the one telling me to wait until the real fixes are in. Wayne

I had 15000 miles on mine and moved car and me to new zealand before I found I had a problem. Had to pay to have the clutch replaced by a ford dealer in N.Z. which lasted 500 miles and it stared to slip. I had told them about the tsb prior but they said ford usa would not honor the warranty. Now ford USA has sent the complete repair kit for this problem. I will let you know how it turns out.

Well I got my car back today from Apple Ford and couldnt be any more happy!!! It took less then a week and the TSB was successful. The car feels great I only got to put 15 miles on it but the gears feel super smooth and this clutch feels softer... i dont know if its cuz im used to the Steeda tri-ax? or this new clutch has a smoother feel to it. But I just wanted to let you know that all the symptoms are gone and I will keep updating as more and more miles are put on it. This weekend on sat. I have the Mid-Atlantic mustang cruise so ill update after all that driving...

Ditto on the clutch feeling softer.....not near as much effort to push it in as it was taking. Shifting is much smoother. Have to see where it goes from here.

Took my dealer three weeks to get all the parts. They have done the repair on 11 GT500's, including mine. One thing I do want to stress though to everyone to save you the hassle of a second trip to the dealer with your car...check before you take your car in if your throw out bearing is making noise as they will NOT replace it unless you complain about it. When idling in neutral, especially when warm after a drive, you will hear a tick tick growning sound. Mine was not replaced during the TSB, so I had to take it back to have them replace it which left my car there for another 3 days. 1200 miles later, I am thrilled with the TSB...no more sticking, no more grinding, much less chatter, and no hiss. On a side note though, if you have long tube headers like I do, make sure it is ok with your dealer first, they have to get it approved with Ford for the extra time to remove headers to get the trans out without scratching your headers all up. Mine got approved with one phone call, and they gave it back to me perfect...not a scratch...very happy!!!

Took my dealer three weeks to get all the parts. They have done the repair on 11 GT500's, including mine. One thing I do want to stress though to everyone to save you the hassle of a second trip to the dealer with your car...check before you take your car in if your throw out bearing is making noise as they will NOT replace it unless you complain about it. When idling in neutral, especially when warm after a drive, you will hear a tick tick growning sound. Mine was not replaced during the TSB, so I had to take it back to have them replace it which left my car there for another 3 days. 1200 miles later, I am thrilled with the TSB...no more sticking, no more grinding, much less chatter, and no hiss. On a side note though, if you have long tube headers like I do, make sure it is ok with your dealer first, they have to get it approved with Ford for the extra time to remove headers to get the trans out without scratching your headers all up. Mine got approved with one phone call, and they gave it back to me perfect...not a scratch...very happy!!!

My throw out bearing had to be replaced too.

Here's what the throw out bearing looks like. BTW they don't call it a "Throw out bearing" anymore. It's called a CSC bearing. That stands for Concentric Slave Cylinder.

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts117.jpg

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts106.jpg

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts107.jpg

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts108.jpg

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts109.jpg

Here's what the throw out bearing looks like. BTW they don't call it a "Throw out bearing" anymore. It's called a CSC bearing. That stands for Concentric Slave Cylinder.

Great pics Rob!! Hopefully this will help those with the noise and save two trips to the dealer and have their cars down longer!!

Alex

I've been reading this thread and another concerning this issue, and have downloaded and read the TSB. Here is my question, I really haven't noticed any of what's described, except that 2nd gear seems to have a "growl" to it that none of the other gears have, regardless of RPMs. I have noticed you making some "estimates" on what could be the cause of that--would you believe that is also related to this issue. I have an 08 GT500 manufactured in MAR 08 with 2,800 miles on it.

Thanks,

Mike

I've been reading this thread and another concerning this issue, and have downloaded and read the TSB. Here is my question, I really haven't noticed any of what's described, except that 2nd gear seems to have a "growl" to it that none of the other gears have, regardless of RPMs. I have noticed you making some "estimates" on what could be the cause of that--would you believe that is also related to this issue. I have an 08 GT500 manufactured in MAR 08 with 2,800 miles on it.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

I'm not sure what the "growl" in 2nd gear that your hearing is attributed too. I wonder if it is coming from the rear end. Some owners have had a growl coming from the rear differential which needed repair work or a fluid additive put in. Sorry I'm not much help on your symptom.

I'm getting mine trucked back from So Cal dealer for repair attempt #3 this week. I've have suspected my CSC has been an issue for a long time and asked that it be replaced. They somehow tested it and it was OK so it was not replaced as part of the repair. It's been in/out of the repair bay a total of 6 weeks on this issue. Let's hope this is the last time Ford has to crack her open for a long time. The KR shifter should make for a nice addition from what Rob and others have suggested!

Mike,

I'm not sure what the "growl" in 2nd gear that your hearing is attributed too. I wonder if it is coming from the rear end. Some owners have had a growl coming from the rear differential which needed repair work or a fluid additive put in. Sorry I'm not much help on your symptom.

I get the "box of rocks" sound from my tranny if you lug the engine a bit in first or second. I have seen posts suggesting this is normal for this tranny design. Is this what you may be hearing?

I'm getting mine trucked back from So Cal dealer for repair attempt #3 this week. I've have suspected my CSC has been an issue for a long time and asked that it be replaced. They somehow tested it and it was OK so it was not replaced as part of the repair. It's been in/out of the repair bay a total of 6 weeks on this issue. Let's hope this is the last time Ford has to crack her open for a long time. The KR shifter should make for a nice addition from what Rob and others have suggested!

You know Ford...they try and be a cheap as possible!!! Best of luck on the repair...I guess I don't feel as bad with my car going to the dealer as much as it has...

You know Ford...they try and be a cheap as possible!!! Best of luck on the repair...I guess I don't feel as bad with my car going to the dealer as much as it has...

I have to say that after much persistance (and now some help from connected friends) Ford is trying to make this right and has spent over $12K so far. Throwing parts at the problem clearly cost them a lot of $. It's unfortunate that the process for me as a consumer has been long and painful mostly due to dealerships that act indifferent or simply don't care. That's why I am spending out of pocket $ to truck it 300 miles to a shop that understands how to service people well. My experience with 5 different ford dealership is that they don't seem interested to listen to what I am experiencing and then relay that info well to the technicians. The art of diagnosis and repair seems to have been lost somewhere along the way too and service follow up has been horrendous. If I treated my customers the same way I would be unemployed. I'm glad Ford built my dream car but maybe being the "early adopter" was not such a great idea. The shine has worn off and recently I find myself looking at other brands. Being a true blue guy though, I gave it one last try and if it still does not work out there is a mint 1988 fox Saleen w/low miles I have been eyeing that could be a rock solid alternative and boost my savings plan to boot!

Trying to take off at a normal speed without the whole car shuddering is impossible on my car post TSB. My transmission rollover noise is about 10 times loader than before the TSB, 2nd gear crunches post TSB, 2nd gear growls at slower speeds post TSB.

This is important information and I'm not the only one with post TSB clutch problems.

Trying to take off at a normal speed without the whole car shuddering is impossible on my car post TSB. My transmission rollover noise is about 10 times loader than before the TSB, 2nd gear crunches post TSB, 2nd gear growls at slower speeds post TSB.

This is important information and I'm not the only one with post TSB clutch problems.

Blayne,

I know that you had the new flywheel installed recently on Sept. 24th 2008

It was working good for you at that time per your original report out.

How many miles have you put on your car since Sept. 24th 2008 and at how many miles did it start giving you problems and or acting up?

I wonder if you have some air in your lines? Have you tried pumping your clutch pedal a bunch of times to see if that helps?

Could your recent suspension mods be causing you a problem ?

Hi grabby and all-

rick (rpretzel) and i took our cars in for new flywheel here in denver. I had moderate symptoms of shimmy when slow start off dead stop. ricks car was worse than mine. I am considering supersnake and wanted to make sure the drive train was perfect before i try to push 725 horsepower through her. the dealership made us drive with the tech in the car to recreate the symptom for him.

I had the tranny done a few months ago. shifts well now.

mine is ready and i will pick up next week (i am out of town now). I'll let the board know how things go.

thanks agin, rob, for all the information you pass on to the website. without this site we would be at the mercy of the dealerships and i personally would not have a clue as to how to navigate through the system.

Ron

Good to see you Doc. :)

Yes...do give us your impressions after you drive it. :shift:

I just put my car into it's winter storage bubble but before that I will tell you that I clocked 638 miles on my TSB since I had the work done and I am very happy with the performance of the car.

I like this little Grabber Orange guy too ----> :yup:

After the TSB the first 4 gears are perfect.......so are 5th and 6the when shifting up through the gears.....I've noticed on two ocations that when downshifting from 6th to 5th when I'm exiting the highway, it gets very hard to get it into 5th gear. It down't grind, but I have to really push on the handle to get it into gear. I'm going to drive it a while and see if it is a repeatable issue.

Suspension has been done since the clutch problem started, so it's not that. Actually noticed ever so slight a shudder first time I drove up my driveway and it seems to be getting worsre each time I drive the car. I wish I hadn't done the TSB, the car was much better before.

After the TSB the first 4 gears are perfect.......so are 5th and 6the when shifting up through the gears.....I've noticed on two ocations that when downshifting from 6th to 5th when I'm exiting the highway, it gets very hard to get it into 5th gear. It down't grind, but I have to really push on the handle to get it into gear. I'm going to drive it a while and see if it is a repeatable issue.

Most of my miles are on highway and I normally downshift from 6th to 4th. You might want to consider bypassing 5th.

I have to say that after much persistance (and now some help from connected friends) Ford is trying to make this right and has spent over $12K so far. Throwing parts at the problem clearly cost them a lot of $. It's unfortunate that the process for me as a consumer has been long and painful mostly due to dealerships that act indifferent or simply don't care. That's why I am spending out of pocket $ to truck it 300 miles to a shop that understands how to service people well. My experience with 5 different ford dealership is that they don't seem interested to listen to what I am experiencing and then relay that info well to the technicians. The art of diagnosis and repair seems to have been lost somewhere along the way too and service follow up has been horrendous. If I treated my customers the same way I would be unemployed. I'm glad Ford built my dream car but maybe being the "early adopter" was not such a great idea. The shine has worn off and recently I find myself looking at other brands. Being a true blue guy though, I gave it one last try and if it still does not work out there is a mint 1988 fox Saleen w/low miles I have been eyeing that could be a rock solid alternative and boost my savings plan to boot!

OK, so I received my car back yesterday after the TSB. Galpin did the full TSB and installed the KR shifter. It was out of my hands for 2 weeks so I spend about 3 hours washing, installing my "free sample" Grabber strut caps, Shelby sequential tailights from SWITZ, and filing down my freshly chunked up front splitter. Once it was in top form I hit the road for about a 30 minute drive. My initial impressions are that I love the shifter and the clutch feels firm but still engages at the very top of the travel. I simply do not like how soon the clutch engages on the pedal travel. Given that it is a hydraulic setup I assume that there is no way to adjust this. If I am driving in say 3rd gear it only takes the slightest pressure on the pedal to feel/hear the clutch slip.I had some chatter in first at the start which was disappointing but was significantly better than before. No grinding! My fingers are crossed that I don't slide back to bad chatter and grinding. Looks like I need to get a proper dead pedal now! If she holds up for 6 months without any further degredation, I will upgrade to the KR mufflers and a conservative tune/K&N. Let's keep the activity on this thread current and descriptive so we can track all TSB's in thread #1.

DH

OK, so I received my car back yesterday after the TSB. Galpin did the full TSB and installed the KR shifter. It was out of my hands for 2 weeks so I spend about 3 hours washing, installing my "free sample" Grabber strut caps, Shelby sequential tailights from SWITZ, and filing down my freshly chunked up front splitter. Once it was in top form I hit the road for about a 30 minute drive. My initial impressions are that I love the shifter and the clutch feels firm but still engages at the very top of the travel. I simply do not like how soon the clutch engages on the pedal travel. Given that it is a hydraulic setup I assume that there is no way to adjust this. If I am driving in say 3rd gear it only takes the slightest pressure on the pedal to feel/hear the clutch slip.I had some chatter in first at the start which was disappointing but was significantly better than before. No grinding! My fingers are crossed that I don't slide back to bad chatter and grinding. Looks like I need to get a proper dead pedal now! If she holds up for 6 months without any further degredation, I will upgrade to the KR mufflers and a conservative tune/K&N. Let's keep the activity on this thread current and descriptive so we can track all TSB's in thread #1.

DH

I had my clutch done and got only 500 miles before it started sliping. When I picked it up I also noticed the engagement was at the top and I also had the same light pressure disengagement problem. Take your car for a drive and stick it into 4th gear at around 40 mph and floor it. I bet you will notice it will start to slip. This is because the pressure plate is not full released because either the throw out bearing assembly is to long or the bearing assembly is getting stuck on the tube it slides over. I am waiting for a whole clutch set.

I just picked up my car after having the full TSB completed. The master tech said the old parts were in perfect shape but they did the full replacement anyway. My first impressions are that the shifting quality is completely different now, much smoother, feels like a new car. As a matter of fact, I needed some time to readjust to the smoothness and ease of the clutch. I'll have to wait until spring to actually put some miles on it since I just put it away for the winter, but so far I like it much better.

I just picked up my car after having the full TSB completed. The master tech said the old parts were in perfect shape but they did the full replacement anyway. My first impressions are that the shifting quality is completely different now, much smoother, feels like a new car. As a matter of fact, I needed some time to readjust to the smoothness and ease of the clutch. I'll have to wait until spring to actually put some miles on it since I just put it away for the winter, but so far I like it much better.

+1

Mine is a pleasure to drive too.

I just had the TSB done in mid October. Tranny and clutch working great, but within a week started having real trouble shifting into 5th. Techs also noticed that the "stop" that should prevent shifter going into reverse did not seem to be there. Short story is their taking the tranny back out to look at shifter. It's the Shelby short throw. They think something got screwed up or installed wrong on the shifter whent they did the TSB, as had no issue with the short throw shifter before the TSB work. I'll let you know the outcome. If you have any thoughts Grabber, let me know. Thanks

Archived