TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The "Y" fell off

mark w

Did a wash and wax last weekend and the "Y" letter came off my trunk. The local Ford dealer said that they would have to remove all the letters, repaint the area then attach and reseal everything. Sounds like cutting off your finger because you got a hangnail. Any suggestions on how to do this myself even tho the car is still under warranty?

Did a wash and wax last weekend and the "Y" letter came off my trunk. The local Ford dealer said that they would have to remove all the letters, repaint the area then attach and reseal everything. Sounds like cutting off your finger because you got a hangnail. Any suggestions on how to do this myself even tho the car is still under warranty?

The Y fell off a lot of cars, I don't believe any paint work should be involved. They just reglue the letters...

The Y fell off a lot of cars, I don't believe any paint work should be involved. They just reglue the letters...

Exactly, no paint work should be involved in this! Technically you could do it yourself if they'll give you the Y.

M-I-C......K-eeeeeeeeee-

J.K. sorry could not help it. :hysterical:

The letters are stuck on with adhesive, sounds like the Dealer wanted some warranty cash? Or the dude is a hack. No paint needed and I would go to another person or/dealer.

The edges of the Y are sharp. stuff snags on them...

My brother in-laws car was sold to him without the "Y", the ordered the replacement (he got the whole package, as the letters are not sold individually). and just stuck it on himself, NO big deal...

This is what I figured. Just seemed like to much work for such a minor repair. Any suggestions as to what type of adhesive I could pick up at the parts store? Thanks everyone!

Double sided 3M tape ??

Is the 3M tape durable enough? I did notice that when the letter fell off there was a sticky residue left. Bits of it balled up in my finger, kinda like old tape does. I would of thought that a metal to metal type liquid glue was used.

The 3M is durable enough.

Welcome to the Team! Pictures are a must!

Dan

edit*** I am careful around these letters, especially the Y. As I wipe her down, I press into each letter firmly to make sure I'm not moving them around. I also no longer use water to clean my car. Hopefully, there'll never be water on her again! :)

AstroDan, if you don't use water, how do you clean your car?

If he's like me, he uses spray polish and spray detailer all the time....I don't wash mine either, and hate it when I get caught out in the rain...but hey, it happens at times when you drive her...My wife can't believe that I detail the wheel wells and get under the car as much as I can without having a jack that I can use or a lift...she laughs at me a LOT!!!

I had a 1970 BOSS 302 and my g fell off the trunk. Thats why they make glue products for the auto market. Do not let anyone re-paint or do any body work. Clean the surface and get all the goo off. Glue the letter back on . Thats all there is to it. They make a product called " goof off "in a spay can, its great stuff .

Probably the first thing I'd do is look for a new dealer. Then I'd get some 3M tape double side tape and put it back on myself. For some reason the "Y" is the most likely to fall off. Mine did the first day and the dealer gave me a replacement. I restuck the original using a hair drier to soften up the old tape and it's still good 11 months later. Just be careful washing and waxing around the letters.

Jim

Here's the link to the new letters if you decide to go that route:

Shelby trunk letters

To bad they didn't continue to use the pin type letters like on the 2006 H, but those can break also, I had to replace a couple of my letters after I got my car and noticed that a couple were glued on. Luckily, they still make the pin type also. I'm sure the production line time of attaching the stick on vs. drilling properly and then attaching the pin on is quite a bit.

AstroDan, if you don't use water, how do you clean your car?

I use a california duster and Adams Detail Spray. I periodically use the Porter Cable and Adams polishes, Swirl and Haze remover and Machine and fine wax...

It looks better now than when it was brand new at the dealer...

I seems that no matter how carefull you are drying 7your car, I always ended up with water spots. See Showcar's thread stuck in Shelby GT Home.

Dan

edit*** BTW... 500 posts! :happy feet: :shift::yahoo::banvictory:

We'll mine has finally fallen off, lucky thing is that it was when I was testing it to see how loose it was. I tend to check mine often to see if it's still there. I had a roll of 3M double sided tape in the garage from a pervious job and quickly cut it to fit and re-attached the pesky "Y".

yeah they were feeding u a line of BS about having to repaint. just get some 2 sided 3M tape and stick the Y back on.

some dealerships like to stick it to u like they are trying to do to me about my stripes(long story).

Thanks everyone! Got a chunk of 3M from one of the guys in our display dept. at work. Been telling people that I drive a "Shelb" for the last week or so. Now I have to wait for the wife to get back from a business trip to the east coast because she put the letter in her purse. I thought I left it in the cup holder. At least she remembered to leave me the keys! :happy feet:

Here's the link to the new letters if you decide to go that route:

Shelby trunk letters

To bad they didn't continue to use the pin type letters like on the 2006 H, but those can break also, I had to replace a couple of my letters after I got my car and noticed that a couple were glued on. Luckily, they still make the pin type also. I'm sure the production line time of attaching the stick on vs. drilling properly and then attaching the pin on is quite a bit.

I used the 3M emblem adhesive and my "Y" is solid now. Because of the cross-sectional moment of inertia of the adhesive area, the "Y" will always be the weakest bond using the 3M tape. The adhesive is more rigid and stronger than the tape.

That's bull go to any body shop and ask the best way to do it. When I worked for ford we use to use the blk putty and sometimes crazy glue don't let the dealer near it. Called my yesterday for the wattage on a mustang fog light and they were stumped scary.

Archived