TEAM SHELBY FORUM

"Rufs Garage"

Ah...numbers. Not my area of expertise!

The Roush blower claims 115 hp. At the crank. That would mean 415 at the crank.

But remember - his blower retains (he covers it) the 3/36 drivetrain - not just his blower - warranty.

I'm taking a bit of a risk this way - but just don't have the $$ for the blower.

And - I could have just driven the GT stock. It's a great performing car - as is. (my '85 GT only had 225 hp!)

But after riding/driving Orf's Shelby - I wanted something a little more...Ruf!

Here's the topic sentence. I'm getting older. My days are short. I can't afford a GT-40.

So - this is the next best thing.

You wanna guess how much fun my drive to work will be tomorrow? :banana piano:

Life is short. Let's ride, my brother. :shift:

Edit: Fly out here and I'll let you drive it. End of story!

• Replies 56.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the cams don't really kick in till 3500 rpm. Does it feel like you have lost any power below that mark, is it stronger, or does it feel about the same as stock??? My reason for asking is I don't want to do any mods that will lower the torque peak on the car. I used to have an 03 Cobra and loved the huge torque push the car gave in the lower rpm range. :shift:

RUF, I live in South Jersey. I'm about three hours from Wash. D.C. My family lives in Waldorf Maryland. I need to come down there the first week of December and get a ride in your new mo'sheen! That will convince me. No, I don't need to drive it. Just let me ride shotgun, mah bruddah!

OK, now I'm getting excited. Ha ha! How does that sound, RUF? We meet some weekend in early December?

Absolutely. You tell me when you want to come down - and I'll clear my schedule.

Edit - sorry, 90 - the low end torque doesn't seem different (my dyno sheets might prove this) - but think about it: low end is really only an issue in 1st gear. Once you're in 2nd - you're upshifting into the 4000 rpm range on each upshift. No?

Absolutely. You tell me when you want to come down - and I'll clear my schedule.

Edit - sorry, 90 - the low end torque doesn't seem different (my dyno sheets might prove this) - but think about it: low end is really only an issue in 1st gear. Once you're in 2nd - you're upshifting into the 4000 rpm range on each upshift. No?

True but torque is what allows you to be putting along in third gear and then mash the throttle slamming you back into the seat. :happy feet: :happy feet:

My point is I don't want to do any mods to the car that would hurt the bottom end power where I spend about 90% of my time driving in. If you gained power in the upper rpm and didn't lose any in the lower range then this is a good thing. If you gained power in both the bottom end range and the upper rpm range then this is even better!!! :shift:

What stage cam did you get by the way???

This thread is so much fun! I have been living (driving) vicariously through Ruf and the rest of you while I wait for my Mustang to be scheduled. I can't say that it has made time pass any faster but at least it has been fun to read. I especially like to read about all of the modifications.

Finally, as the father of a comparative literature graduate student, I am delighted to see that someone is making a living with a related degree. :banana piano:

Hi Moabman! I teach p/t at ECU to allow me to indulge in these trivial pursuits! My regards to your comp/lit student.

http://www.ecu.edu/english/profiles/oesterreich.htm

I'm glad they're making a living! I've had much fun with this car, as you've read, vicariously.

90GT - I have the Comp Cams Stage III.

http://www.compcams.com/technical/Catalogs/106-07/62-63.pdf

Let's Ride.

Very impressive staff picture :read:

I read your article on the Elizabeth II. I occaisonlly volunteer on the iron barque Elissa based in Galveston. I love to race dinghies however, and have owned a Thistle, Force 5, and a MC scow.

My youngest daughter just got hooked racing Lasers. I have taken her out many times and let her take the helm whenever she wanted. It took her being out single handed for her to really get hooked. Go figure.

What did you do about the pressure sensors when you swapped out wheels? I didn't even know they had them when I ordered the car.

True but torque is what allows you to be putting along in third gear and then mash the throttle slamming you back into the seat. :happy feet: :happy feet:

My point is I don't want to do any mods to the car that would hurt the bottom end power where I spend about 90% of my time driving in. If you gained power in the upper rpm and didn't lose any in the lower range then this is a good thing. If you gained power in both the bottom end range and the upper rpm range then this is even better!!! :shift:

What stage cam did you get by the way???

LOL, hey 90GT... love what you bring to the thread. Here... read this tech write-up by Brenspeed. It will give you a complete understanding of RUF's changes:

BrenSpeed Cam Install

Back to you... if I'm tooling around in 3rd (does this make me a 'tool'?) and I want to be slammed back in the seat, well, I'm down-shifting to 2nd anyway. (Yehaw!)

You make an excellent point about 90% of your time driving being below 4000 rpm. Heck, it might be 95 or better. But when you are rocking and rolling, the 4k-6k powerband is much more improved by the changes. Heck, after reading your post, it would almost convince me not to bust a move. But I like the idea of having 400 hp AT THE CRANK... and 330-345 rwhp.

Part of this obsession is because my !@#$%^& brother went out and purchased a 2006 GTO two weeks before the arrival of my GT KNOWING my car would arrive any day. Jealousy is an ugly thing, 90! Granted, he could mod his GTO and stay one step ahead of me, but if the little booger does nothing and I'm sitting there with RUF's mods, then I can take his punk self down to the track and it will truly be a driver's race.

And after that... I'll still have fun with the STI's and Evo's and such.

I'd like to be able to say I have a '12 second car' when asked! :hyper:

Amen to that Pitpup. You could rub it in and ask your brother where he is going to get goat parts in 5 to 7 years :doh:

You could also go over and ask him to show you the rear end of that ugly goat and tell him you wanted to take a good look because that will be the LAST time you will ever be looking at it! :banvictory:

Hi Mo - sounds like you're a sailor, too. I had a MacGregor 25 swing keel for a few years - some great sailing here on the Pamlico Sound.

Tire pressure monitors - new rims don't have 'em. I just ignore the message on the dash.

Glad you liked my EII piece. It was an interesting day - but it's the SLOWEST THING ON THE WATER!

Bryan

Edit: Pup - If you took a ride in my car - there's no way you're not putting the cams in. No way. :shift:

Well, Bryan, as with anything there is no free lunch. The stage III cams give you a lot of top end gains at the expense of the bottom end torque, but still well worth the efforts since you have 4.10 gears to bolster the bottom end grunt. I would suspect that the cam makers suggest more rear end gear with cams that move the powerband up. And guys with automatics need to consider a higher stall along with more rear end gear.

I think it'll be new cams for me before too long. At least they're "affordable" on the 3V motors. I was very discouraged with the 03 Mach 1 as swapping cams on that beast was about $4500 for parts and labor due to the 4 cam set up. That was actually one of the biggest reasons I traded in the Mach 1 for a new GT was the cost of modifying what might almost be classfied as an "exotic" engine. The GT's 3V engine is much more blue-collar, so it's right up my alley! (I'm actually white collar, but my paycheck makes me feel blue collar - LOL).

Anyway, thanks for the review. I likely wait until spring to spring for new cams. The 4.10's arrived the other day, so I gotta get those installed first, then put off any more goodies until after the holidays.

Don't know about the rim/tire question.

Have the spoiler taken off? Four bolts, I think. Easy.

I just got busted. I was taking Wifey to the bank when this M-B roadster starts acting froggy. So I jumped on it a bit...wifey: "Boy, that was some tune he did for you...and why does it sound louder?" Me: "Er...umm...I think the mufflers are just breaking in..." So - later we're at a stoplight and she feels the cams through the seat. Wifey: "If you just had it tuned - why does it shake like that?" Me: "Er..ummm...ya got me. It's probably the darn computer."

So we get home and she tells me to pop the hood. Uh-oh.

Wifey: (pointing to the CAI) "What's that and has it always been there?" Me: "Er...ummm...it's always had an air filter honey." Wifey - "Either you tell me what's been done to make it shake like it does, or I"m going to ask my brother."

Game over. :ohsnap:

Don't know about the rim/tire question.

Have the spoiler taken off? Four bolts, I think. Easy.

I just got busted. I was taking Wifey to the bank when this M-B roadster starts acting froggy. So I jumped on it a bit...wifey: "Boy, that was some tune he did for you...and why does it sound louder?" Me: "Er...umm...I think the mufflers are just breaking in..." So - later we're at a stoplight and she feels the cams through the seat. Wifey: "If you just had it tuned - why does it shake like that?" Me: "Er..ummm...ya got me. It's probably the darn computer."

So we get home and she tells me to pop the hood. Uh-oh.

Wifey: (pointing to the CAI) "What's that and has it always been there?" Me: "Er...ummm...it's always had an air filter honey." Wifey - "Either you tell me what's been done to make it shake like it does, or I"m going to ask my brother."

Game over. :ohsnap:

Sounds like your in deep $h!t. This is wifey when she finds out the truth... :chairshot:

Just came back from the body shop.

He's going to paint my mirrors (and brackets - and window trim) for $350.

I"d like to have the quarter windows frenched in - but he wants $2k for that....not having that done any time soon...would look cool, though.

Says he'd have to paint the whole fender if he takes off the GT emblems - so I may just have him paint them black. :shift:

LOL, hey 90GT... love what you bring to the thread. Here... read this tech write-up by Brenspeed. It will give you a complete understanding of RUF's changes:

BrenSpeed Cam Install

Back to you... if I'm tooling around in 3rd (does this make me a 'tool'?) and I want to be slammed back in the seat, well, I'm down-shifting to 2nd anyway. (Yehaw!)

You make an excellent point about 90% of your time driving being below 4000 rpm. Heck, it might be 95 or better. But when you are rocking and rolling, the 4k-6k powerband is much more improved by the changes. Heck, after reading your post, it would almost convince me not to bust a move. But I like the idea of having 400 hp AT THE CRANK... and 330-345 rwhp.

Part of this obsession is because my !@#$%^& brother went out and purchased a 2006 GTO two weeks before the arrival of my GT KNOWING my car would arrive any day. Jealousy is an ugly thing, 90! Granted, he could mod his GTO and stay one step ahead of me, but if the little booger does nothing and I'm sitting there with RUF's mods, then I can take his punk self down to the track and it will truly be a driver's race.

And after that... I'll still have fun with the STI's and Evo's and such.

I'd like to be able to say I have a '12 second car' when asked! :hyper:

Cool article, thanks for the link. It appears from the article that Ruf may have lost a little low end torque but not much. With his 4:10 gears he may not even notice it. Me, I'm spoiled by the bottomless pit of low end grunt that my Cobra had so I probably won't be happy with any thing but a supercharger.

I did find this which depending on cost, may work really well with a cam swap. Check it out, the first 3V intake manifold!!! :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet:

FAST3Vmanifold.jpg

New manifold for 05 - 07 Mustangs

The larger and longer intake runners will help to increase low end torque. They are estimating it should be good for a 40hp increase. Combine this with the cams and ported heads and whoa Nelly!!!! :shift:

Now cut this out! :baby:

I'm number 22 on their list.....

By the way - I do some freelance writing for Our State magazine:

http://www.ourstate.com

If you'd like to get more insight into how much this GT means to me, check out this piece I wrote for them a couple of years ago:

http://www.beaufortccc.edu/news/PDF/Bryans...storhetoric.pdf

Archived