TEAM SHELBY FORUM

"Rufs Garage"

Yes you still have to shift from 1 to 4 unless you go over 2,300 rpm or shift before 1,800 rpm unless you have the skip shift eliminator (CAGS) or you tune it out. It doesn't usually bother me since I get on it enough not to deal with it. I eventually plan to tune it out when I get a tune done.

The new 2.73 is the auto gearing on the Z51 package only. On the 05 through 07 autos the Z51 package didn't get any different gearing from the other auto cars. All the automatics are six speeds with paddle shifters. They have been since 06. The manual gearing is more aggressive too with the Z51 package, but there is no change there for 08.

Interesting gearing.. I guess the car is light enough that with a high-stall torque converter the 2.73 work well ...probably gives great milage too when it locks-up the torque-converter on cruise.

Ah, you can tune-out the 1->4 thing... cool! I figured it was a mechanical interlock and you'd have to pull a wire or something... so that means it's a solenoid or something that's controlled by the ECU (my guess anyway) so you can just tune it out... makes sense.

Go easy on Ruf now -- he's only got a little 281cid motor in there :hysterical2: Actually, I would think both cars are pretty close up to 100 or so -- tho Bryan has to shift more ;)

• Replies 56.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ruf & SB returned from our afternoon qualifying session unscathed.

SB brought his sweet 350Z rocket sled this time.

Ruf was up for the challenge.

We were lined up at a stop light on highway 264.

Temp was upper 70's - and clear skies.

We were set to launch - when a group of about 5 ECU female students came off the sidewalk and surrounded my car! Their brief summer clothes distracted Ruf. I only managed to sign three of their tank tops before the light changed.

SB got a jump on me, but I reeled him in 3rd gear. It might have been 2nd gear, but I was talking on the phone to Christine.

We had an enjoyable little romp through the country. And, good thing I let him lead us. When we got back to Greenville, I told him his brake lights weren't working. He said he hadn't touched them while on the 2 lane. Ruf told him he thought he had them on while driving. :hysterical2:

:hysterical2::hysterical2:

good stuff Rufster! had me chuckling again :)

btw, females students have ECUs? Dang! ...did you plug your SCT tuner in under her dash? :hysterical:

Interesting gearing.. I guess the car is light enough that with a high-stall torque converter the 2.73 work well ...probably gives great milage too when it locks-up the torque-converter on cruise.

Ah, you can tune-out the 1->4 thing... cool! I figured it was a mechanical interlock and you'd have to pull a wire or something... so that means it's a solenoid or something that's controlled by the ECU (my guess anyway) so you can just tune it out... makes sense.

Go easy on Ruf now -- he's only got a little 281cid motor in there :hysterical2: Actually, I would think both cars are pretty close up to 100 or so -- tho Bryan has to shift more ;)

Little 281?? :rant:

Up to 100 or so? :rant:

No respect....

http://www.ecu.edu/

:finger:

Don't forget though, my Vette is a six speed manual not a slushbox, even if it has paddle shifters. The final drive in the manual is 3.42.

SCGT500 did say "Nissan piece of junk" :hysterical2: No wonder he seemed to have his brakes on :doh:

I don't think you want to go there. I would put Nissan's quality up against any American made vehicle, no matter the brand. One thing the Japanese know how to do is build quality products. FYI 350Zs are actually built in Japan and shipped to the U.S., unlike many of Nissan's other products.

Ruf & SB returned from our afternoon qualifying session unscathed.

SB brought his sweet 350Z rocket sled this time.

Ruf was up for the challenge.

We were lined up at a stop light on highway 264.

Temp was upper 70's - and clear skies.

We were set to launch - when a group of about 5 ECU female students came off the sidewalk and surrounded my car! Their brief summer clothes distracted Ruf. I only managed to sign three of their tank tops before the light changed.

SB got a jump on me, but I reeled him in 3rd gear. It might have been 2nd gear, but I was talking on the phone to Christine.

We had an enjoyable little romp through the country. And, good thing I let him lead us. When we got back to Greenville, I told him his brake lights weren't working. He said he hadn't touched them while on the 2 lane. Ruf told him he thought he had them on while driving. :hysterical2:

That's funny Bryan. Truth is I couldn't get you to play today. :banghead:

And YOU know why! (I know you wanted to pass a few people today, but realized I need to be low profile for a while. Thanks.)

Truth be told - the few times you got Froggy - I wasn't closing on you, just keeping up!

I think from a dig, I may jump out a little with the 4:10's - but your Z is very stout!

Next time, we'll stop nose to tail and get a better accounting of who's got what!

The last time you had to slow for the car making a right turn, I downshifted and expected you to scoot. Even then, I didn't have to lift. Your Z is very strong.

Pay no attention to SCGT - he was just pushing buttons! :hysterical2:

post-4913-1177807804_thumb.jpg

post-4913-1177807804_thumb.jpg

And YOU know why! (I know you wanted to pass a few people today, but realized I need to be low profile for a while. Thanks.)

Truth be told - the few times you got Froggy - I wasn't closing on you, just keeping up!

I think from a dig, I may jump out a little with the 4:10's - but your Z is very stout!

Next time, we'll stop nose to tail and get a better accounting of who's got what!

The last time you had to slow for the car making a right turn, I downshifted and expected you to scoot. Even then, I didn't have to lift. Your Z is very strong.

Pay no attention to SCGT - he was just pushing buttons! :hysterical2:

I know you needed to maintain a low profile. I'm just messing with you.

I did want to pass some of those cars too, but I figured I needed to chill. Did you notice how bumpy the road was from Falkland to Greenville? I had to ride right on the edge to get some halfway decent pavement.

The Z was running good today. I think it likes the 70 degree weather. With the cams it pulls so hard from about 3,500 rpm to 7,000 rpm. I actually bounced off the rev limiter once today.

From a dead stop you probably have me off the line if I am driving the Z, but once it gets going it really goes when I can keep it above 3,000 rpm.

Man, car guys will be car guys, no matter domestic or import. That's why I have props for anyone who actually puts performance parts on their cars. I can't stand seeing cars with Jumbo-Let spoilers on the back, horrendous body kits, and Maxwell House coffee cans for exhaust tips running around here.

Someone needs to put them in their place. A new day is coming...

Man, car guys will be car guys, no matter domestic or import. That's why I have props for anyone who actually puts performance parts on their cars. I can't stand seeing cars with Jumbo-Let spoilers on the back, horrendous body kits, and Maxwell House coffee cans for exhaust tips running around here.

Someone needs to put them in their place. A new day is coming...

I agree. :happy feet:

I like performance cars no matter the make. I also like seeing people modify them to get more performance out of them too. Heck that is what makes having a performance car fun, modifying it to make it perform better.

I've gone crazy with my Z over the 4 years I've had it. It has a CAI, larger high flow plenum, equal length headers, high flow cats, Borla exhaust, reflashed ECU, Nismo cams, performance clutch and flywheel, lightweight forged wheels, and suspension and 3.9 gears. It also has a StopTech BBK. It is a little rough around the edges, but it sure is fun. Different from a Vette or Mustang, but still a lot of fun.

Ah...you guys are just teasin', aren't ya.

Ruf's not going to get upset.

Ruf will be cool.

:hysterical2:

Maybe it's time to trade the Rufstang for a...hmmm....I know - a new Camaro!

I've got a connection at a Chevy store!

Now - what to call it...maybe the Rufmaro! :hysterical2:

Apparently, since Poop Dog is undercover, y'all are focusing your sardonic wit on ol' Ruf.

Ruf's okay with that.

How about a Mobil 1 - 5w-20 enema? Warm, of course. :hysterical2:

I thought we were dissing imports :doh:

Bone-stock camaro ...Bonemaro :hysterical2:

Hey did you guys see the show Horse Power this week. They were working on a 2007 Black Mustang GT. Yes Ruf they like black too. Don't let it go to your head. :superhero:

They added a stroker kit, cam, new larger throttle body, shifter, intake, exhaust and wheels to the car. That will be one bad a$$ 07 when they get it tuned. :D I believe they are going to complete the project on next week's show.

Hey C6 - What's the day/time/channel?

All black Mustangs are hot!!

Check out the Word Game thread here.

It's on Spike TV on Saturday and Sunday mornings. It is part of the Power Block group of shows about cars and trucks. The chick that used to be on Overhauling hosts the Power Block.

Thanks

I"m taking Christine over to Bath for a slice of pizza and a little chill time at Bonner's Point - where we took the pics last year of us and the Cobra.

Back later this afternoon -

Got to go racin' at Talladega!

Hey did you guys see the show Horse Power this week. They were working on a 2007 Black Mustang GT. Yes Ruf they like black too. Don't let it go to your head. :superhero:

They added a stroker kit, cam, new larger throttle body, shifter, intake, exhaust and wheels to the car. That will be one bad a$$ 07 when they get it tuned. :D I believe they are going to complete the project on next week's show.

C6, (can't type the Stangbanger moniker <lol>)... Yeah, I caught that, ...5.0 stroker. Shoud be interesting to see what they get out of it on the dyno next week. Can't remember the name of the shop they had port the heads and tri-angle cut the valve seats ...they seemed to know their stuff!

-

Ruf, hope Christine is having a good day... I'm sure the Rufstang will put a smile on here face at least once today ;)

<edit:> spelling

C6, (can't type the Stangbanger moniker <lol>)... Yeah, I caught that, ...5.0 stroker. Shoud be interesting to see what they get out of it on the dyno next week. Can't remember the name of the shop they had port the heads and tri-angle cut the valve seats ...they seemed to know their stuff!

Fastback,

You can just call me SB like some others have or C6 if you want or even John. I'll answer to most anything. I usually use ZPirate as my name on the other forums I frequent.

Yes I will have to remember to watch next week to see what that Mustang dynos. Ruf better stay clear of it. :hysterical2:

Thanks

I"m taking Christine over to Bath for a slice of pizza and a little chill time at Bonner's Point - where we took the pics last year of us and the Cobra.

Back later this afternoon -

Got to go racin' at Talladega!

Hey Rufrider- check out this web site. I think Chip Foose is trying to keep up with you.

HSURB

http://images.ecarlist.com/cgi-bin/viewall...945_7289#34.jpg

Archived