TEAM SHELBY FORUM

"Rufs Garage"

Hey Kobra!

17...ah I remember it well...I had a '57 Chevy vert - 327 - 4 spd - and Cragar Mags!

How's life? :hysterical2:

I'm...hangin' in there, man.

Women come - and then they go. But my hot rod is always waitin' on me! :shift:

Yeah - the Shelby's are a very sweet ride. Perhaps in the future.

Take care - you hear?

• Replies 56.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Myrtle Beach is about 3 1/2 hours south of me - on the coast.

When I lived in Wilmington NC, I spent a lot of time down in MB (about 75 mins from there).

It's a touristy area. In the summer, the traffic is insane. Golf courses - beachfront hotels - Canadian tourists on the beach with shorts, black socks and sandals! :hysterical2: Shopping outlets - Hard Rock Cafe - House of Blues - lots of people and lots of traffic. Not a laid back relaxing spot! College kids and crotch rockets.

But - it's within striking distance for me! You let me know. I wouldn't want to be there in June/July/August - but otherwise, yes! Benjamins is my favorite place to eat there. Seafood buffet - all the King Crab legs you can eat!!! Oh, Daddy!

Dan - here's what I posted on that thread:

Dan and George - you guys have no idea how much I enjoyed reading about the Day!

(things around the crib have been a little...dicey!)

SVT - how generous and thoughtful. Awesome. You are truly a car guy. Not only do you enjoy cars - you enjoy seeing other people enjoy them. That's the real meaning of Christmas.

Dan - You deserved the Day. You've been a pillar on this site. You've helped so many members (including ol' Ruf). I was sitting in the back seat while you took us out for the rides. (and very well written, by the way!)

Thanks for giving me a much-needed lift.

SVT - you got class, man.

Ruf - :shift:

edit: George reminds me of someone I know in Hickory PA...Our Commander!

Hey, Bryan -- thanks... saw it earlier today over there (I think it was today) ...writing, as you know far better than I, is both challenging and rewarding -- to keep it interesting, make it flow, and still stay true to the core of the event -- a fine line between painting a 'clean' image and still keeping it engaging. You do that soooo well in the stories of yours I've read -- you make it look easy ...I know it's not tho ;-) It was fun.... (I hope your students know how lucky they are!!! -- I suspect they do)

If I recall, you called the "commander's" ride (Mastermech, yes??) a "funny car" when you guys met in NC -- good call! Yet I never once felt uncomfortable or intimidated driving it -- it was like an old friend even tho I'd never driven anything that potent before -- which suprised me since I'm the kind who would never ask and would typically be concerned I might be overstepping the line. I guess it was the combination of feeling comfortable with the car and how easy George made it for me to feel comfortable -- I'm sure he knew I wouldn't do anything stupid -- but that's still a whole lot trust for someone you've only actually 'met' 30 minutes earlier (bless you George). I like to think George is just a good judge of character ;-)

Hope the situation in the crib improves -- hang in there, my friend ...we can only make the best of what we're dealt -- the cards are not ours to call.

Btw, I like your new avatar, pecker boy! As long as it spells the permanent demise of thong boy! (And I just saw two Pileated woodpeckers today, male and female -- they were the inspiration behind ol' Woody! -- Mel Blanc did his voice, I think ....sure hope I'm in the off-topic section here ;-)

Woody <lol>: http://www.woodywoodpecker.com/mainpopup.html

-Dan

Thanks for the kind words, Dan.

Most readers aren't aware of how much work goes into a good piece of writing.

If it IS good - they'll say - I liked it! Without knowing why.

To me, writing is a craft - but an invisible one. Readers don't know how much time was spent on organizing - using transitions - using sensory details - sentence variety - word choice, et al. All they see is the finished product.

Much like car restorations. Go to a car show and look at a restored 32 coupe. People come by and oohh and aahh - but they weren't there for the sanding and grinding and priming and polishing.

Your emotions came through very clearly in what you wrote. The excitement was very vivid. The writer's job is to be as vicarious as possible - and you were!

I'm just curious - did you really reach 140 on I-95?! :happy feet:

It gives me great pleasure to have been a part of your Day.

You Still Rock.

Ouch, run off? Must be with the pool boy, Fernando...

Oh, and Ruf. Remember how I said that the next time my dad fired up the 69, I'd get you a vid so you could hear the motor, well, I got a vid you ya, just have to download it from the camera

Okay - Orf's Christmas gift got me motivated today!

Two coats of Zaino - tried out his microfibre drying towell - most excellent. Leaves no streaks or water spots.

Also put his gift 7" antenna on. I really like the way it looks. And reception isn't a problem.

I took it down to the Ford Store to wish the guys in the service dept a happy holiday. After a few minutes there's about 6 of us standing around the car. A new salesman walks up to us.

"Nice looking Mustang," he says.

I thank him. He looks it up and down.

"I've got a new GT," he says. "I got the 3.55 axle option - she really hauls azz."

I nod poliltely. (some of the techs are starting to laugh a little)

"Your car looks good - but you need to put some money in making it go faster," he continued. "You care to line up and see what a difference the 3.55's make?" (more laughter)

"Um...no, I'll take your word for it."

Then one of the techs says, "Start it up for him."

I do.

"Ah, hell - you've done some things under the hood, haven't you?" he asks.

I just smiled - and took him for a short, but quick, ride. :happy feet:

Moral - don't judge a book by its cover!

"I've got a new GT," he says. "I got the 3.55 axle option - she really hauls azz."

I nod poliltely. (some of the techs are starting to laugh a little)

"Your car looks good - but you need to put some money in making it go faster," he continued. "You care to line up and see what a difference the 3.55's make?" (more laughter)

"Um...no, I'll take your word for it."

Then one of the techs says, "Start it up for him."

I do.

"Ah, hell - you've done some things under the hood, haven't you?" he asks.

I just smiled - and took him for a short, but quick, ride. :happy feet:

Ruf's rules of wisdom, "Speak little, let the engine talk for you!"

Orf's generous and thoughtful gift of detailing products and a 7" antenna motivated me to clean up the car today and rub on a couple of coats of Zaino.

Here's a few pics.

(including the painted mirrors - the "tinsel" welting on the door panels)

post-4913-1166744198_thumb.jpg

post-4913-1166744218_thumb.jpg

post-4913-1166744237_thumb.jpg

post-4913-1166744259_thumb.jpg

post-4913-1166744282_thumb.jpg

post-4913-1166744301_thumb.jpg

post-4913-1166744320_thumb.jpg

post-4913-1166744339_thumb.jpg

post-4913-1166744356_thumb.jpg

post-4913-1166744372_thumb.jpg

post-4913-1166744387_thumb.jpg

Orf's generous and thoughtful gift of detailing products and a 7" antenna motivated me to clean up the car today and rub on a couple of coats of Zaino.

Here's a few pics.

(including the painted mirrors - the "tinsel" welting on the door panels)

I need someone to Zaino the vette. Thought about changing to Towell Boy? :hyper:

Thanks, y'all.

001 - this guy wasn't a "car guy." Tassel loafers - a Rolex knock-off - pleated chinos worn too many days - one of those solid bar bracelets - you know the type. He just came over to brag. I would have lined up with him - but I like a fair fight. I don't think he'll be giving advice to me for a while! :hysterical2:

carnut - I'd be happy to Zaino your hot rod. Drop it off. I'll have it for you in a couple of weeks! Polishing clear coat is so easy compared to how we used to "wax" our regular paint jobs. I had some pretty serious biceps back in the '60s - '70s!

SCGT - Yeah, me too. And I'm not in some metro area with strong signals. I have a little trouble picking up 102.5 The Shark - but otherwise it's cool. I'm just blown away that Greg remembered how much I liked his "short one." :hysterical2:

Grabber - thanks also. Black looks sweet when clean....I'll keep busy trying to keep it that way. Next time, I'm not sure if I'd go with black again. One thing - it's much easier to polish. My 350Z was pearl white. It was hard to tell what I'd gone over or not (a lot of moving around trying to see in the reflection).

moabman - I never thought I'd find a lower grille that would look exactly like the upper. Cervini makes a lower - but only for their front end clip - not the OEM. Luckily, the Moss Motors version matched up. I'm very happy with it. Only thing - I'm a little worried about top-end runs. Only thing holding it in place is two little screws! One wouldn't want that grille to come loose at 150!

Gotta go get more eggnog!

Thanks, Shred -

I've had some time to play with mine!

I really dig your color - very rich - almost like a wine! (love the retro-rims, too!) You're gonna love the ride. :shift:

Enjoy the holidays. Thanks for saying hi.

SCGT - have you had your car on the dyno? Is that where your numbers come from?? Congrats. Is that RWHP?

:hysterical2:

Rough crowd. :hysterical2:

Pay no attention to him, Shred!

welcome shred, don't worry about us, we usually don't make much sense, even to ourselves :hysterical2::hysterical2:

Ruf, that is just one great looking car, and I'm really not a life-long mustang fan. It was insane for the salesman to come up and spout off, anybody can see that is not a car to trifle with.

Thanks - but it's not a 600-800 hp blown/nos street racer! :hysterical2:

I like to think of it as a one-off stronger-than-stock, low-rider, gangsta Mustang!

Lots of cars faster. But they've spent lots more money.

But I still appreciate the kind words. It's what I can afford. And it rocks my world. :happy feet:

be vewy, vewy quiet...we're hunting C6's....

Yeah, kstrong - I don't remember how this little game of their's got started, but apparently they find it very amusing! :baby:

Got to watch your spelling around here - they'll pounce on you like fresh meat! :hysterical2:

I let 90% of their grammatical miscues slide - for fear of being branded Teacher Boy!

Bill - Congrats on the tune numbers! Very impressive. Be careful with all the power! :shift:

Archived