TEAM SHELBY FORUM

"Rufs Garage"

thanks, Cliff - "makes me want to have mine." ?? Are you waiting on one?

Tell us more about the '76!

I appreciate the kind words, man. I'm having a blast with this car.

Today, I was out just puttin' and a '95 V6 pulled alongside at a light by the Wal-Mart. Couple of young guys. It had a custom paint job - metallic red - with over the top stripes.

I had my window down. I look over and give a wave. They both smile. I asked what did he have. He said a 6. I said, cool. Great paint. He says, does that run? I smiled.

Light turns. I chirp 1st and leave a few feet in 2nd! Then I slow - they go by and wave their butts off!

Mustang - no boundries. :shift:

edit: Rob - when I had my '03 Mach1 - wifey had an '01 V6 with headers and dual exhaust.

• Replies 56.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am lucky to be able to keep mine in the garage, but this car does something to you by making you want to keep it looking nice all the time. Every evening that I have had it, since 11-16-06, I have gone into the garage and wiped it down with a microfiber towel and ever other day I have applied a coat of wipe & shine. I can't stand the thought of it getting dirty. I have driven it everday except one, and even drove 500 miles round trip on Thanksgiving day. Luckily we haven't had any rain and it has been nice weather.

Very cool! Worry not. Rain will not hurt the car!

Drive it - and enjoy it. Be thankful you have a garage. :shift:

I have one car - and I drive it every day - regardless of the weather.

My GT is my daily driver, too. I have a 2-car garage on the house, but I rarely park in the garage. As Rob has mentioned, it's still raining like crazy here in Washington. It has rained every day in November and we've set some sort of record for rainfall in one month, but I'm still driving in it daily. I'm putting the chains in the trunk tonight as the weatherman says we're looking at freezing temps and the possibility of lots of snow in the next few days. I've driven plenty of cars in the snow, including all of my Mustangs, so it'll be nice to play in the white stuff.

Bryan, since you and I both had Mach 1's before, I thought you might like these pics I took at our dealership a couple of winters ago when we had brand new 04 Mach 1's and Cobras (even a Mystichrome!) sitting outside in the freezing temps...

post-2549-1164488924_thumb.jpg

post-2549-1164488954_thumb.jpg

post-2549-1164488986_thumb.jpg

post-2549-1164488924_thumb.jpg

post-2549-1164488954_thumb.jpg

post-2549-1164488986_thumb.jpg

Man! Does that bring back some memories!

I spent 25 years or so in CT. I know all about snow & ice. (last 7 years there, I drove a 9,200 gal gasoline transport - on the night shift!)

Not fond memories!

Most of my neighbors in the 'hood have garages - but most of them have too much crap in them to be able to park inside!

It doesn't bother me. I could have bought a smaller house and had a garage. But - I like being the little guy in the 'hood. Good for resale value.

I had a '67 (I think) Corvair. It had a leak around the windshield. In the winter, I'd get in the car, lose my footing on the ice-covered floor mat (!) - and then proceed to use the ice scraper on the INSIDE OF THE WINDSHIELD! :hysterical2: Boy - was THAT fun! Ah - the good old days.

Today here - 65 and sunny. I took the GT out for a little ride - encountered a C5 - had some fun! :shift:

Ruf,

Yeah, me and my father are restoring my first Mustang. That's what I meant by waiting on mine. It's a 1976 Cobra II, black with gold Cobra II stripes (Heh heh, I'm going to have a black car ^_^ ). I'll have a 302 V8. The only engine mod that I know of is putting in some Comp Cams, but I know my father too well, and we'll do more to it. Guess what the V8's were rated at back in the gas crisis: painfully at 130 HP. When we're done, I hope to double that, at least.

Eh, sorry to write a long diatribe about my car. This thread's about yours! I'll have to make one for mine when it's finished.

-Cliff

Cliff - how cool is this? Man - you need to post up some pics here! Your dad sounds like a very cool guy.

I took the Rufstang out for a short ride before it got dark tonight.

It's amazing. Just 20 minutes in the car can completely change my attitude. It's not an 800 hp monster - but just grabbing 3 solid gears gives me a rush! Second gear is very quick - and 3rd pulls strong!

Thanks Bill Ford - you got this one right! :shift:

Ruf:

I'll get some pics up tomorrow before I go to work.

Yeah, my dad's pretty cool. Working on this car has allowed me to learn more about Mustangs (the 74-78's to be exact), and allowed me and my father to get closer. For instance, I was taking the motor mounts out, and the wrench slipped out of my hand and cracked my knuckle on the lower A-arm. Yelling profanity to show my pain, and all I get out of my father is, "Eh, you'll be alright."

Anyway, I'll let you get back to the Rufstang.

-Cliff

Don't worry about the Rufstang - this is very good stuff here.

One of the essays I ask my students to write is the "inheritance" essay.

I ask them to write about what they've inherited from a family member.

You're learning much more from your father than how to work on a car - you're learning things like, finishing what you start. You're learning how to pass on knowledge. You're learning about the values that make a person successful. Very good "stuff." And - you'll pass it on to your children.

I'd like to buy your Dad a cold one. :shift: He's my kind of people. He teaches.

Ruf: You with is my command. I present to you, Pics :yahoo:

This is my '76 when we got it:

post-7578-1164660677_thumb.jpg

Now this is it's current condition:

post-7578-1164660714_thumb.jpg

This is a '78 that we bought for parts. We were thinking about using the body because the cowl is in a lot better condition than mine is, but whoever owned it first probably stuffed a 351W in it, and beat the driver side floor board to death trying to get clearance for headers. In doing so, they snapped the spot welds in the driver side floor board.

post-7578-1164660753_thumb.jpg

Just a little sidenote, that and I got camera-happy.

This is my father's 1986 Mustang SVO. True SVO. He bought it totalled in the early 90's, restored it and drove it for a few years. Then, someone tried breaking into it, so my father had to put her down, and she's sat for about 10 years.

post-7578-1164660884_thumb.jpg

And the cherry on top, my dad's pride and joy. This piece is a 1969 Mustang Mach 1. It has a worked 351C, putting out an estimated 500 HP 500 TQ at the wheels. C6 trans with 3.71:1 gears. Estimated quarter-mile time: Mid-low 12-High 11's

post-7578-1164661066_thumb.jpg

post-7578-1164660677_thumb.jpg

post-7578-1164660714_thumb.jpg

post-7578-1164660753_thumb.jpg

post-7578-1164660884_thumb.jpg

post-7578-1164661066_thumb.jpg

Awesome (to quote Jeff Gordon...)!!

Y'all have a lot of determination to follow through and do all that work.

I'm very jealous!

Ask you dad if he'd like to adopt me!

The '69 is - Bad. How I'd love to cruise Main Street in that bad boy! And it must sound orgasmic! :hyper:

And you sound like you have your head right, too! Cherish the time you spend with your dad. Priceless stuff, young man!

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Keep us updated, you hear?

(man - I'd love to hear that '69 sing....) :shift:

Nice pictures! Too bad about the SVO. Didn't they come with an intercooled turbo on the 2.3 L? My 86 T-Bird had a non-intercooled version of that engine and was a fun car. I think my new GT will actually weigh a little more than that T-Bird .

Hope you all have fun with the car and it comes out looking as good as the Mach-1 sweeet!

Ruf: Yeah, it sings really purdy like. It has that idle that'll have you changing into some new pants, no to mention 6 grand sounds nice too :P. But, I'll make you this promise, the next time the Mach sings, I'll be there with the camera. He'll have to start it sometime this week to run some Stabil through it

Moab: Yeah, they came with an intercooled turbo 2.3 4 cyl. According to my dad, it would induce you to do stupid things. For instance, Cincinnati Ohio to Louisville Kentucky is usually a 2 hour drive, doing the speed limit all the way down. My mom and dad did it in 45 minutes B)

Lol, according to him that 120 the whole way down. I'm suprised there were no cops along the interstate. I love it because it looks so neat and compact inside the engine bay.

If my memory is still intact, the Turbo-Bird would run 142 top end. That's impressive from a 4 banger!

Oh - an update on the dyno numbers from last week.

Brenspeed sent my dyno chart to Comp Cams.

Their reply questioned whether or not my cams were properly installed here. They hadn't seen a graph like mine before....

I'm going to have my Ford tech call Brenspeed on Tuesday and engage in a "discussion" on what might have happened.

Then - on Thursday, we'll see what the guys at Fastlane Motorosports have to say.

Nothing - apparently - is ever easy.

So far, Brenspeed has been supportive. Time will tell.

Stay "tuned."

Update - Moss Motors sent me a billet grille today - but the wrong one. I asked for the Carriage Works lower grill and they sent the 3 piece grille for the fog lights in the upper!

But - it looks like when they re-send the proper one - it will work with the Cervini I've got above the bumper. Good news.

Still waiting on word from Brenspeed on where we go next with this little hp drama!

If Dyno Man at Fastlane Motorsports can tune the numbers in - what you you all expect from Brenspeed if it was your car? Re-embursement for the cost of the dyno tune to get the numbers right? Something else?

Go here:

http://www.brenspeed.com/mustang_2005/camshafts.html

Then click on the cams link.

347 RWHP.

Read my sig.

First dyno pull: 297.

What would be your expectation?

Ruff,

When I first saw your dyno graph two things came to mind. One they just stuck the cams in straight up and didn't degree them in properly or two, the tune is too agressive and the ECU is pulling out timing at the top of the curve. You said your running a 87 octane tune but are you 100% sure that this is an 87 octane tune??? Any chance Brenspeed gave you the wrong tune which is for a higher octane??? Have you heard any pinging when running the car hard???

My money is on the cams being stuck in straight up (0 degrees) and not degreed in properly.

Archived