TEAM SHELBY FORUM

"Rufs Garage"

• Replies 56.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's a DZ302....only made them for one year...1969. About 20,000 of them in total. It's a dog on the low end...no torque...but wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee when you get up past 4,000 RPM.

I don't have any video of the car, I don't own a camcorder, and the car is in the body shop and "un-runnable" at the moment. I can bring pics...but that's about it.

Dave

I've told you about my buddy who had a new one in '69. He was a dork. But I'll never forget that engine. It almost sounded like an Indycar. Stock exhaust was very hollow sounding. It had to be under-rated as that thing screamed. What was the redline? 7k 7500? It's my Lottery Camaro. The reason you feel the wheeeeee at 4k and up has to be the cam. That thing loped at idle!

Bring pics, yes! :happy feet:

I've told you about my buddy who had a new one in '69. He was a dork. But I'll never forget that engine. It almost sounded like an Indycar. Stock exhaust was very hollow sounding. It had to be under-rated as that thing screamed. What was the redline? 7k 7500? It's my Lottery Camaro. The reason you feel the wheeeeee at 4k and up has to be the cam. That thing loped at idle!

Bring pics, yes! :happy feet:

Well if his was all original, it might have had the rare "chambered" exhaust....man did those sound good.

post-3382-1183950974_thumb.jpg

And if you want the ultra-rare option...go for the cross ram intake with 2 Holley four barrels. These were offered as a "trunk installed" option. http://www.coast2camaro.com/usedpartsforsale.html and installed http://www.classicdreamcars.com/6965.html .

The official "labeled" redline on the DZ was 6,000....but they didn't have rev limiters and will run much higher. I've buzzed mine over 7,000 many times. I had a friend that built one with a roller cam and a bunch of other goodies and ran his to 9,000. The high-revving nature of the engine was largely due to it's short stroke of 3".

Mine has the original "30-30" cam....so named for the fact that both the intake and exhaust valves are adjusted with .030" lash. I love that cam. The engine was 11:1 compression, with a Holley 800 cfm four barrel (too big IMO), 4-bolt mains, pink stripe rods (magnafluxed and shot-peened), special short deck-height pistons, a forged crank, and a high rise aluminum intake manifold. They were rated at only 290 HP...but I think most put our closer to 350 or so. I've never had mine dyno tested...maybe when I get it back from the body shop.

How about it, Stangfollower - can I use your garage to Zaino the Rufstang next weekend? :happy feet:

You can use mine if you want I will be home Sunday not Saturday and the wife will be outta town (time to see if hooters delivers) and I have the paint here for your calipers. But if you need the AC I understand. I bought Jack/jackstands and a creeper today. I will need to get my new calipers installed sometime this week too.

Oh and my Zaino will be delivered by then

You can use mine if you want I will be home Sunday not Saturday and the wife will be outta town (time to see if hooters delivers) and I have the paint here for your calipers. But if you need the AC I understand. I bought Jack/jackstands and a creeper today. I will need to get my new calipers installed sometime this week too.

Thanks, Chris! I don't need A/C - just shade! I'll take you up on the offer. Let me know what kind of suds you like. I can't wait to see some red calipers! You da man! Hear? :happy feet: You can Zaino - I can paint. :rockon:

We need to invite StangFollower over for support and Zaino tech.

Well if his was all original, it might have had the rare "chambered" exhaust....man did those sound good.

And if you want the ultra-rare option...go for the cross ram intake with 2 Holley four barrels. These were offered as a "trunk installed" option. http://www.coast2camaro.com/usedpartsforsale.html and installed http://www.classicdreamcars.com/6965.html .

The official "labeled" redline on the DZ was 6,000....but they didn't have rev limiters and will run much higher. I've buzzed mine over 7,000 many times. I had a friend that built one with a roller cam and a bunch of other goodies and ran his to 9,000. The high-revving nature of the engine was largely due to it's short stroke of 3".

Mine has the original "30-30" cam....so named for the fact that both the intake and exhaust valves are adjusted with .030" lash. I love that cam. The engine was 11:1 compression, with a Holley 800 cfm four barrel (too big IMO), 4-bolt mains, pink stripe rods (magnafluxed and shot-peened), special short deck-height pistons, a forged crank, and a high rise aluminum intake manifold. They were rated at only 290 HP...but I think most put our closer to 350 or so. I've never had mine dyno tested...maybe when I get it back from the body shop.

I can still hear that engine - back in 1969. He surprised many of our friends who had 442's - 396'w - 440 Chargers, etc. That thing was fast. The exhaust exited right behind the rear wheels - not at the rear bumper.

Can't wait to meet you and wifey!!! We may have the pool up and running by then, so bring your suits!

You have people offer you Zs? Wow...where do you hang out? :hysterical:

I wish people were! I'd trade my 'Plorer for one, but I'd have to put my sub and head unit and such in it

Would you like a 460Z?

460Z? Never heard and Google isn't turning anything up. The Nismo Z that is coming out on the other hand... I might trade a Mustang in for it

How about it, Stangfollower - can I use your garage to Zaino the Rufstang next weekend? :happy feet:

I assume you are talking at me Mr. Vettefollower aka 460Z. :hysterical2: I think you were following me on Saturday and complaining that you couldn't keep up. But yes you can use my garage for Zaino next weekend. I'll be around too this weekend, both Saturday and Sunday. Or we can go to PKs. Maybe he will have AC by then at the rate he is buying things lately. You guys will need some guidance in the proper application of Zaino anyway.

P.S. Maybe we can get some help from the Bojangles girls. :hysterical:

I guess you have decided to install them yourself? I'll be around this week except for Tuesday night if you need some help.

I have to go see the 460Z prototype on Tuesday night. :hysterical2:

Yeah, I'm up. Just got back from the College.

Catching up on some emails - then outside to finish draining the pool and try to get the liner right. I need to get it running so she can cool down when she wants.

We're just going to paint the calipers - not exchange them.

Yeah, I'm up. Just got back from the College.

Catching up on some emails - then outside to finish draining the pool and try to get the liner right. I need to get it running so she can cool down when she wants.

We're just going to paint the calipers - not exchange them.

Chris is exchanging his calipers. His have to come off and the new ones put on. I know you are painting yours.

I'll let ZainoMeister SB answer this one!

Vette boys - looks like I'll be painting one caliper a week over here:

http://www.stangsunleashed.com/forums/inde...?showtopic=9496

But - I'd still like to put a few coats of Z2 on this weekend, guys. (with Z6 between coats, naturally!) :happy feet: I seem to have some tree sap on the car from Stangfollower's trees. :redcard:

Not to change the subject, but to shift topics for a sec. What is the difference between zaino 2 and zaino 5? any idea? i just applied a coat of 5. Waiting till it dries right this minute.

Z-5 is polish for light scratches and swirl marks. Z-2 is the basic Zaino polish.

I usually apply a coat or two of Z-5 with Z-6 mist in between and then a coat or two of Z-2 with a mist of Z-6 in between over the Z-5. Z-5 doesn't give as good of a shine as Z-2 does. If you really want to make Z-2 shine top it off with a misting of Z-8 (Z-6 if you don't have Z-8).

I'll let ZainoMeister SB answer this one!

Vette boys - looks like I'll be painting one caliper a week over here:

http://www.stangsunleashed.com/forums/inde...?showtopic=9496

But - I'd still like to put a few coats of Z2 on this weekend, guys. (with Z6 between coats, naturally!) :happy feet: I seem to have some tree sap on the car from Stangfollower's trees. :redcard:

You are welcome to use my garage this weekend to apply some Zaino. I'll be around.

Who the hell is Stangfollower? No followers here, only bangers. Stang that is. :hysterical2:

Z-5 is polish for light scratches and swirl marks. Z-2 is the basic Zaino polish.

I usually apply a coat or two of Z-5 with Z-6 mist in between and then a coat or two of Z-2 with a mist of Z-6 in between over the Z-5. Z-5 doesn't give as good of a shine as Z-2 does. If you really want to make Z-2 shine top it off with a misting of Z-8 (Z-6 if you don't have Z-8).

I've had my Zaino kit for close to three months now and haven't had the time start the process. Is it me, or does this seem to take an excessive amount of time?

I'm limited with the amount of time I can spend on projects like this. I just don't want to start something that turns into an all day project. I sure wouldn't want it to cut into beer drinking time.

HSURB

I've had my Zaino kit for close to three months now and haven't had the time start the process. Is it me, or does this seem to take an excessive amount of time?

I'm limited with the amount of time I can spend on projects like this. I just don't want to start something that turns into an all day project. I sure wouldn't want it to cut into beer drinking time.

HSURB

Its not a hard process once you lay the ground work. The first time you apply Zaino, like with any other product, is when the prep work is the key. Once you lay the foundation applying a coat or two of polish is as easy as washing and drying your car and applying a coat of wax. Just wipe it on and wipe it off.

The key to preparing the surface is washing and claying it or using Zaino AIO (All in One) to clean the surface before you apply the polish the first time.

Archived