TEAM SHELBY FORUM

"Rufs Garage"

Review: Shorty FRP headers - Bassani axle backs - SCT Tune - BBK throttle body - C&L Intake - Comp Cams Stage III - Steeda Pulleys - 14" antenna -

If all that doesn't gain 80 hp - I'll be sending out some letters!

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but to hit 80 hp, isn't a 17" antenna not only desired, but mandatory? :redcard:

Can you say... 'dyno'? I knew you could! :spiteful:

• Replies 56.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bryan,

I just moments ago placed my order for the SCT tuner from Brenspeed. Regardless of how your dyno results come out, I'm not making any big changes until Spring 2007. But I wanted to get the custom tunes under way even though I haven't decided on the CAI yet. (K&N drop in panel filter in there now). This should keep my spirits up as we head into ... ugh ... December. (Man I hate winter!!!)

While I'm excited for you and looking forward to the dyno pulls, I' haven't totally ruled out the Saleen twin screw s/c. Luckily, I'm a patient pup, and can wait if the s/c is the way to go and I need to save up a few extra bucks. But the bottom line is, I'd much rather have 340-350 rwhp n/a than go the s/c route, regardless of cost. I've always felt the only thing that should whine is your first ex-wife. But hey, what do I know?

PITPUP:

Nice avatar change up. ++++

I'd blush, but you couldn't tell (ha ha).

Glad you like it. Say, you DID see the stock car back on page 17, didn't you? If not, you owe it to yourself to scroll back a page. I started that website in 1998 and Kenny Wallace was one of my favorite drivers. The first thing I did was design that logo (less the shades). I added the shades a few years ago and the rest is history.

Looks like I'll need those shades to be able to read RUF's dyno results Thursday night. He's juiced. I'm juiced. It will be interesting to see how close his #'s back up Brenspeed's Tech article #'s.

Dan - and all - I think right now we should be at least 380-390 at the crank. (I'll probably end up eating those numbers on Thursday!) With the FAST intake - add 40?

http://www.fuelairspark.com/

They don't list the new intake on their site yet - but call them if you want the dyno numbers.

I'll keep my mouth shut on h.p. until after I get home on Thurs!

I'm sure lots of folks put out more - but not for what I've spent.

Bang for the buck, baby. And as it is now - it's the fastest I've ever owned.

Man - 2nd and 3rd are very strong! And sound just as sweet as they can sound!

MPG? :baby:

Review: Shorty FRP headers - Bassani axle backs - SCT Tune - BBK throttle body - C&L Intake - Comp Cams Stage III - Steeda Pulleys - 14" antenna -

If all that doesn't gain 80 hp - I'll be sending out some letters!

Edit: 90GT - Brenspeed said head work wasn't needed with the cams.

I was just kidding about the head work. I think you have a good chance at hitting the 380 hp mark with the mods you have. Only thing I would have done differently is ditch the pulleys and gone with long tube headers but that's just me. Can't wait for those numbers!!! :hyper:

Oh and I love the rear view mirror!!! :hysterical:

That intake has ports that exactly match the stock 4.6 head ports, right?

380-390crank... I think you'll hit that -- maybe a few more.

...just a guess tho, since I don't know the practical NA flow limits on the 4.6 heads. You've kicked up almost everything else -- event the shortys should be a good match with that intake and running thru a full exhaust.

Can't wait to see???

I just put on speed-TV but couldn't find ya! :hysterical:

So - dyno day comes - and so does the Perfect Storm...argghhh.

Tornado warnings - 6 have died - rain - thunderstorms - the whole shebang.

No dyno today - 4 hour round trip in this stuff would not be fun in the wet.

I've got a call in to...the dyno guy....to reschedule.

My night vision isn't what it used to be either!

Sorry guys.

"Wayne" just called - we'll do the deal on Monday at 6.

Sorry guys.

Q. What do you get when you cross a Star Fleet Captain and an S197 with fresh mods?

A. "You Klingon bastard. You killed my run! You Klingon bastard. You killed my run!"

(Yeah, I know. Don't quit my day job...)

Hey Ruf,

Did I hear you correctly in that you do not have a garage to put that beast in? Did you ever think of purchasing one prior to all the MODS? :doh:

Sorry but I Sold my Jeep so I'd have room in the ol'2bay for the new GT if it ever gets here. Think I told you about the First order being all jacked up. :banghead:

Maybe this time it will be right, if not make room for a new 4dr Rubicon.

With all the crap weather you guy's have been having it makes thank the good lord that I a mile hight above sea level that is untill it comes time to producing HORSEPOWER. It's funny I drive my little Civic 70mi a day to and from work at 5500' and i go visit my family in Nebraska where it's like 700' and boy oh boy does that lil 4banger feel like a V8.

No shit, up here you can take a brand new GT 5spd. put it in 1st. gear let out the clutch and punch it to the floor and it won't even spin the tires. I can't wait till I drive it in Nebraska.

Everyone talks about how much spunk is in these new GT's but after have a 10's 89 Coupe and driving one of these it's like going from being a horse jockie to riding around downtown denver in one of those horse and buggy rides.

I foresee a Procharger in the works after the warranty runs out. Crap that's going to be like 5yrs on this new car. Well maybe I'll call Chris at DSS racing and have them build me a Stroker 5.0 crammer motor that will handle about 700hp blown,

Ok back to the original thing. How in the world do you let that thing sit outside? I darn near cried the first time my LX get hit by rain on the way home from the drag strip. :cry:

Well I guess there is always someone out there like me who just let's their car sit in the garage with a cover on it and take it out only on 70deg and sunny day's. Can you say my car is a :baby:

Ruf get a garage or at least one of those little car tent things, wait down south you can just go to home depot buy some wood prop her up against the old double wide and call that a car port. J/K based on the photos i'd say you don't have a trailer by any means. I'm just reverting back to the time I lived in Alabama where the red clay mud covered chevy cost more then house it sat in front of.

I ended up going down for the dyno pulls.

Disappointing.

1st pull - 297.11

2nd pull - 289.64

Even my master tech though 325.

We're dimming the lights at the Ruf double-wide tonight.

Oh - about the garage. I was all set to have a 24x30 attached gargage built (for about $46k) - but my wife had to quit her job due to her MS. The Rufstang can handle the elements.

Bryan, don't despair. You've got the right mods to be at 325 rwhp, maybe it just needs a good dyno-tuning to get the A/F right and such. Even with "just" 297 rwhp (which is about 350hp at the crank), that is still good enough for a high 12 second 1/4 mile at 106+ mph - roughly a 3/4 second improvement in 1/4 mile performance. Friend, that's progress!

So - dyno day comes - and so does the Perfect Storm...argghhh.

Tornado warnings - 6 have died - rain - thunderstorms - the whole shebang.

No dyno today - 4 hour round trip in this stuff would not be fun in the wet.

My night vision isn't what it used to be either!

Sorry guys.

"Wayne" just called - we'll do the deal on Monday at 6.

Just a few days! Not too bad. At least it will be a nice weekend ;)

<edit:> just saw the later post -- bummer! But I agree with Five Oh B -- there's 325 in there. I'm assuming he just did a baseline not a multi pass dyno tune. There should be alot that can be coaxed out with the right tune. Also, the barometric pressure sucked today! At 60degrees, fairly low humidity and 31" of merc on the old baro and she sould tune up to 325 no prob... if not: the cams are a def inprovement, so my Q would be is that plastic-fantastic FAST intake working with the cam and shorty headers. FAST should be able to give you some guidance on that (unless they're just parts-pushers). Else the stock manifold might actually give more grunt. Sue would be good to know who else has used that intake on a GT with shorties. The port-matching is critical (I'm assuming the ports are identical to your stock heads, else that'll hurt a bunch).

Sorry, don't mean to be second guessing ya -- I'm sure you did the research ... just that the intake provides so many possible missmatch problems -- runner length, cam grind and header tube lengths are critical to work together. The cams got you more lift but flow won't increast all that much unless the intake and headers are working with it to extract it in a usefull rev range in an NA motor.

I'm still betting there's a lot more in there though if a good tuner hunts down the sweet spot where the intake, cams and headers 'sing' -- assuming they're not trying to be 'sweet' in non-complementary rev ranges.

Anyhow, just my $.02 -- and still a big improvement as is!!! :happy feet:

Thanks FiveOh and Dan -

On the ride home, my younger shotgun rider convinced me to take off the Cats and do a Bassani X-pipe.

And I haven't yet installed the soon to be released FAST intake. (gonna wait to see hard data first!)

This wasn't a dyno pull/tune - just two pulls.

I don't know this guy and didn't want to let him have at it!

We'll just sit tight - do the X pipe and wait for some feedback on the intake before moving forward.

Meantime - it's fun to drive and my combined MPG is probably around 15! :hyper:

The tuner did say the SCT tune has it running rich.

Thanks FiveOh and Dan -

On the ride home, my younger shotgun rider convinced me to take off the Cats and do a Bassani X-pipe.

And I haven't yet installed the soon to be released FAST intake. (gonna wait to see hard data first!)

This wasn't a dyno pull/tune - just two pulls.

I don't know this guy and didn't want to let him have at it!

We'll just sit tight - do the X pipe and wait for some feedback on the intake before moving forward.

Meantime - it's fun to drive and my combined MPG is probably around 15! :hyper:

The tuner did say the SCT tune has it running rich.

Get it tuned on a dyno and you will see better number no doubt. Plus today was crappy weather so that played a part as well.

How did you make out with the storms???

Hey guys - thanks, Dan - for the site. I'll check it out.

I'm running 87 octane like Brenspeed recommended.

I'm sending him a copy of the dyno sheet.

Let's see what he says. He said the numbers should be better.

More later - Ruf -

Archived