TEAM SHELBY FORUM

"Rufs Garage"

Ruf,

I agree with you about the Mustang. But I submit the same question to you about the Shelby. How many people who have a Shelby have just one car or use it as their daily driver?

My whole point with the Lightning Lap comparison is that I like the way it judges PERFORMANCE cars based purely on PERFORMANCE and COST. Not the way it looks, whether it seats two or four or whether its wheels look better. Those are personal preferences.

Cost? Okay - what I'm trying to get across here is value. When I'm sitting in and driving my Mustang - I don't care what people think about the car. I like driving it. I don't care about lap times or G-force cornering numbers. All I care about is having a good time for my MONEY.

My take is most Vetter owner/drivers think much differently. They think "I want to be SEEN in a Vette."

And - they're paying a lot more money than they should if they really want a fun ride and care about Value. Ask PonyKiller what he paid for his Vette. Why do you think it's so low? Not - as - much - value.

• Replies 56.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...I just read the article, I usually avoid C & D but someone left it in the copy room, and think that it is good news for the shelby owners. More or less you can take a very easy to drive shelby, and with some fairly easy suspension mods, keep it quite competitive with some top notch track cars. Nothing wrong with acknowledging the need for a few changes prior to putting it on a road track.

...and carnut, I'll have some pork rinds with my beer, popcorn has too many carbs, and no, the beer carbs don't

count :happy feet:

Cost? Okay - what I'm trying to get across here is value. When I'm sitting in and driving my Mustang - I don't care what people think about the car. I like driving it. I don't care about lap times or G-force cornering numbers. All I care about is having a good time for my MONEY.

My take is most Vetter owner/drivers think much differently. They think "I want to be SEEN in a Vette."

And - they're paying a lot more money than they should if they really want a fun ride and care about Value. Ask PonyKiller what he paid for his Vette. Why do you think it's so low? Not - as - much - value.

Come on Bryan you are killing me over here. :headscratch:

No question the Mustang is a good value.

And nobody likes to be SEEN in their ride more than you do. How many times have I heard you tell me about people complimenting you about your car. You LOVE the attention.

Cost is relative. Lots of people would make the same argument that you are making in reverse that the Vette is a value when compared to Porsches and BMWs.

PK got a great deal on his car. But you have to understand it was on 05 after the 07s came out with 20,000 miles on it.

Again I like the comparison because of the way it compares cars. Is it the only way to compare cars? NO.

I'll just say this. Speed doesn't do it for me(you can't use it most of the time anyway,usually)Appearance means a hellof a lot more to me than Who is faster or even more HP I think the new model Stang has it all over the competition in that area.

JMO. I can't blame anyone for loving what ever the car they have. In my mind what I see first is the catchall for me. A well polished, maintained vehicle get lots of respect from me

SB - I've told you (and many others) about how much recognition I've been getting in my car. Why not? What that tells me is people like what I've done to it. Somthing wrong with that? It also tells me that a lot of people can relate to the car - that's why they smile - or wave - or give me a thumbs up. Yes - I like that.

Didn't you tell me you were surprised at how little acknowledgement you were getting in the C6? Wonder why? How do people profile Vette owners? What's that profile based on, do you think?

You are going to like the results. :happy feet:

The hard part of applying Zaino is the first time because of the prep work involved. See my dissertation as Ruf put it to me for more details. However, if you think about it the same prep work (washing and claying) really should be done anytime you apply a new wax or polish to your car. You want the surface to be clean so the wax or polish does what is supposed to do.

After that the next time you want to apply Zaino just wash with Z-7 and dry. Then mist with Z-6 and wipe off. Then apply Z-5 or Z-2 with a misting of Z-6 between each layer of polish. Use ZFX if you are going to apply multiple layers in one day or you want it to cure quickly. Top off with Z-6 or for an even better look Z-8. You can also use CS topped with Z-8 as the top coat.

I only go back and clay my cars about once a year. Also you don't have to wash with Dawn again after the initial cleaning.

Gonna give it a try. :superhero: Thanks, for your help. :happy feet:

It's quiet around my place tonight. Just me and my dog Harley. David's at camp this week. Tana has been at the hospital with her mom all day. It's pouring down rain out!

The Doc's say they will be keeping an eye on Tana's mom for at least another 7 days. No improvements...but no downturns.

I got a Grabber Orange Tie :happy feet:

Don't ask Ruf for advice on the proper application of Zaino he is still a Zaino Apprentice. Let the Zaino Master show you the way. :happy feet: You shouldn't have to wash the car with Dawn but at the very beginning (see below).

1. If your car is new or the paint is new you don't have to clay it if you are satisfied the paint is as clean as you want the base to be. Typcially a new car is clean enough it doesnt' have to be clayed, but it can be if the car looks or feels dirty after you wash it. I would clay it just to make sure it is clean.

2. Wash the car with Dawn (or if you have Zaino All In One you can wash the car with Z-7, clay it , wash with Z-7 and dry and then apply AIO to the car and remove it). Then clay it. Use a spray bottle with a mixture of Z-7 and water to keep the car lubricated as you clay it. Also clean the clay bar frequently as you use it by washing it and kneeding it. If the clay is picking up stuff you will see it in the clay. Then wash the car again with Z-7 and dry it.

3. Apply and wipe off a misting of Z-6. If you use AIO you don't have to but you still can.

4. If there are any swirls in the paint apply one to two coats of Z-5 (enabled with ZFX if you put on more than one coat in one day) with a Z-6 misting between each.

5. If there are no swirls you can begin with Z-2 (enabled with ZFX) if you put on more than one coat in a day) with a Z-6 misting between each coat. You can put on as many coats of Z-2 as you feel like doing. Finish with Z-6 or Z-8 if you have it.

6. To really make it pop when you finish with the Z-2 mist again with Z-6 (or Z-8) then apply one or more coats of Zaino Clear Seal (Z-CS) followed by a misting of Z-8. Be sure to apply CS very thin and wait for it to dry before misting with Z-8 (or Z-6). If you don't use CS I would top the last coat of Z-2 with Z-8 as Orf suggested above.

Always remember with Zaino that LESS IS MORE. The thinner you apply Zaino polish the better the results. One ounce of Zaino should get you at least two coats on the car. I can often get three or even four coats from an ounce. Also apply some Z-6 to your applicator pad before the polish so it goes on thinner. Use the small bottles that come with ZFX when you are applying Z-5 or Z-2 with ZFX. Its easy to mix in them. It only takes 2 to 3 drops of ZFX for an ounce or more of polish. You don't have to use ZFX if you let the polish dry for at least 4 hours, but preferably 8 hours. Temperature and humidity help determine how long it takes to cure without ZFX.

I will let you know if I think of something else. Feel free to ask me any questions or if I was not clear on anything.

Zaino Master

Thanks, Oh Zaino Master. :bowdown:

I can't wait to see the results. :happy feet:

Young Jedi has much to learn. :superhero:

Follow Zaino Pics Shall! :banana piano: :camera:

It's quiet around my place tonight. Just me and my dog Harley. David's at camp this week. Tana has been at the hospital with her mom all day. It's pouring down rain out!

The Doc's say they will be keeping an eye on Tana's mom for at least another 7 days. No improvements...but no downturns.

I got a Grabber Orange Tie :happy feet:

Hi Grabber,

Just want to wish Tana her Mum some Northern Energy.

Bless you guys.

Hi Grabber,

Just want to wish Tana her Mum some Northern Energy.

Bless you guys.

Thanks man.

I have been telling Tana about you all being conserned and caring.

It is appreciated.

:)

It might be a PMS/depressive episode.

I'm used to them.

I'll probably wake up to pancakes.

Zaino Rules!

Hef Ruf,

Thanks for the Zaino help. :happy feet:

Here's a photo to cheer her up!

The Vette is slower than the GT500 unless you put the Z51 gear pkg on. That's why you've never seen C&D compare without the Z51. GM is just smarter at how they package the product. The base GT500 eats the base C6 and the GT500 similar mods to the Z51 will eat the C06/Z51. Put a tune on both and the gap widens even more. Throw $1500 at it and the gap widens more.

Also, you can't GT500 with ADMs to Vette without. When the new Vette first came out it was going in the $90K range. There's a good $30K gap, I think and they are very different cars. One's a muscle car, the other is a sports car. Diff config, diff audience (diff shirts :hysterical: ).

Did anyone notice that C&D waited two years for the Z06 before they'd do a Ford GT - Vette matchup ...wonder why?

And when they put the Ford GT up against a Ferrari, they used the friggin' Enzo! -- there's a fair match! (and the Ford GT still beat it in some segments tho the Ferrari out-handled the F-GT overall and beat it out by just a little, if I recall.

C&D sucks! Brock Yates is an arrogant :censored: imo. Have you ever noticed how C&D deals with reader criticism? Any magazine that feels it needs to publicly humiliate constructive criticism at an editor's level is an arrogant bully. That's why I cancelled my subscription years ago. There's something funny in the water in Ann Arbor MI.

When the GT500 first came out they trashed the interior as cheap-looking! Obviously the reviewer wasn't alive in the '60s or he might have comprehended the notion of retro. The interior is just gorgeous, imo! ...and no it's not like a Porsche -- that God it's not! It's a muscle car! :rant:

end :soapbox:

I think I'll buy a Volt :hysterical2:

Dan, I always love your honest, factual and to the point opinions. :happy feet:

Just don't feel the need to be so restrained about it next time :hysterical2:

C & D should just not be in the business of evaluating american musclecars, its not their thing!!!!

But it was good to read about how good the shelby really was, knowing how much more potential is in it.

John

I didn't want to have to do this Bow tie Boy but here is a quote from the "unbiased" C&D about the GT versus the ZO6:

"This time around, we had just one entry in this class: the $153,345 Ford GT. It was much more a surgical instrument than the Z06 was, and the Ford’s 3:00.7 time was quicker by 0.4 second. The shifter and the brake pedal had a more precise feel, and the GT had better traction out of slow corners, thanks to the mid-engine layout. The supercharged 550-hp, 5.4-liter V-8 didn’t sound as good as the Vette’s 505-hp V-8, but it made the GT go just as well in a straight line. Initial understeer in the Ford could be countered with use of the gas pedal, and the tail could be booted out in slower corners. But the GT rewarded precision and felt best at the limit of adhesion in balanced slides. And around this track, and on this day, that was a recipe for the best lap time."

The Ford GT performed better but the ZO6 DID sound better :hysterical2:

The Vette is slower than the GT500 unless you put the Z51 gear pkg on. That's why you've never seen C&D compare without the Z51. GM is just smarter at how they package the product. The base GT500 eats the base C6 and the GT500 similar mods to the Z51 will eat the C06/Z51. Put a tune on both and the gap widens even more. Throw $1500 at it and the gap widens more.

Also, you can't GT500 with ADMs to Vette without. When the new Vette first came out it was going in the $90K range. There's a good $30K gap, I think and they are very different cars. One's a muscle car, the other is a sports car. Diff config, diff audience (diff shirts :hysterical: ).

Did anyone notice that C&D waited two years for the Z06 before they'd do a Ford GT - Vette matchup ...wonder why?

And when they put the Ford GT up against a Ferrari, they used the friggin' Enzo! -- there's a fair match! (and the Ford GT still beat it in some segments tho the Ferrari out-handled the F-GT overall and beat it out by just a little, if I recall.

C&D sucks! Brock Yates is an arrogant :censored: imo. Have you ever noticed how C&D deals with reader criticism? Any magazine that feels it needs to publicly humiliate constructive criticism at an editor's level is an arrogant bully. That's why I cancelled my subscription years ago. There's something funny in the water in Ann Arbor MI.

When the GT500 first came out they trashed the interior as cheap-looking! Obviously the reviewer wasn't alive in the '60s or he might have comprehended the notion of retro. The interior is just gorgeous, imo! ...and no it's not like a Porsche -- that God it's not! It's a muscle car! :rant:

end :soapbox:

I think I'll buy a Volt :hysterical2:

Dang straight, Brock Yates spent the 60's locked in his gym locker with his jock strap around his ears :hysterical2:

I didn't want to have to do this Bow tie Boy but here is a quote from the "unbiased" C&D about the GT versus the ZO6:

"This time around, we had just one entry in this class: the $153,345 Ford GT. It was much more a surgical instrument than the Z06 was, and the Ford’s 3:00.7 time was quicker by 0.4 second. The shifter and the brake pedal had a more precise feel, and the GT had better traction out of slow corners, thanks to the mid-engine layout. The supercharged 550-hp, 5.4-liter V-8 didn’t sound as good as the Vette’s 505-hp V-8, but it made the GT go just as well in a straight line. Initial understeer in the Ford could be countered with use of the gas pedal, and the tail could be booted out in slower corners. But the GT rewarded precision and felt best at the limit of adhesion in balanced slides. And around this track, and on this day, that was a recipe for the best lap time."

The Ford GT performed better but the ZO6 DID sound better :hysterical2:

It must have been the Bose system :happy feet:

Just goes to show that people just have to compare everything. And, they continue to change the parameters to obtain the result they want.

Yeah but, yeah but...........................it's funny.

So Ruf, whose is bigger, yours or Poopy's :hysterical2::hysterical2::hysterical2:

Archived