TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rust proofing

StangFinally

hi all...

Haven't received the car yet, but should in the next few days according to Ralph. I am struggling on if I should have it rust proofed or not? I have used Krown on my other cars, but they are daily drivers year round. We have a 66 Valiant Conv that has also been done but with no drilled holes visible (under the scuff plates). The Shelby will be stored for the winter, but since I am building another car, the Shelby will be pulled out of the garage while I am doing the body work, then back in when the work has stopped. The constant temp change will likely cause some condensation and I don't want to have any problems or have rust damage. Has anyone had thier cars done? with or without holes??

Bert

I don't think I'd worry too much about rustproofing. The car will come with the parts already coated/painted and if you are only pulling it in/out of garage in the winter you won't need to worry about salt spraying up in all the little nooks or small stone chips being exposed to winter salt sludge. There will be condensation, but it should be OK with the factory applied rust protection, IMHO.

No, don't Rustproof this car! Why nor try an Electronic Rust Preventer? A lot of Dealers Hype it for $500 or so. However right now Crappy Tire is promoing the "Counteract Electronic Rust Protection System" at $199.99. This is $100 off normal price. Its Very simple to install. I've been somewhat apprehensive about this sort of system. However, this manufacturer is the Original, over 20 years on the go. Other systems such as 'Rust Stop' have had litigation issues about their effectiveness. Counteract has Not.

I would perhaps buy a can or two from Krown and just hand spray some of the unprotected screws, lug nuts, etc.. Things you'll wash off in the Spring. You might want to Wax the wheels.

Total Krown application for my Winter Beater, not Shelby!

http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortments/pro...fromSearch=true

No, don't Rustproof this car! Why nor try an Electronic Rust Preventer? A lot of Dealers Hype it for $500 or so. However right now Crappy Tire is promoing the "Counteract Electronic Rust Protection System" at $199.99. This is $100 off normal price. Its Very simple to install. I've been somewhat apprehensive about this sort of system. However, this manufacturer is the Original, over 20 years on the go. Other systems such as 'Rust Stop' have had litigation issues about their effectiveness. Counteract has Not.

I would perhaps buy a can or two from Krown and just hand spray some of the unprotected screws, lug nuts, etc.. Things you'll wash off in the Spring. You might want to Wax the wheels.

Total Krown application for my Winter Beater, not Shelby!

http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortments/pro...fromSearch=true

I have to disagree with you here 07, my buddy has a one year old Acura MDX and is pissed off right now. He bought this electronic gizmo thru the dealer for $700 and noticed at 11 months old rust coming from both rear quarter panels. Even the body shop mgr is stumped. Dealer recently painted both last week (one year old car !!!!) Now he's trying to bail on this early rusting MDX and get his money back for this non-working gizmo...........only thing that works is the red LED that stays lit. P.O.S. My brother and I used to laugh at this gizmo 15 years ago at all the Custom car shows in Toronto....................stay away.

Thanks for the comments... some good suggestions and things I have not thought of...

Smoothy, thanks for opening my eyes to the obvious... won't be exposed to the winter elements... combine with 07 with the manual hand apply in specific areas and I think I will be okay... the gizmo.... I have read many perspectives over the years and to be honest, I didn't even know that they were still around... didn't GM offer something similar in the 60's or 70's?? Protecto-Plate I think they called it... Barrett Jackson sure highlights it whenever there is a car with it... ?? Only hype?? 07, are you going to use it??

Bert

When I signed my deal for my Shelby, I had to go through the Finance Manager step where they try to get you to buy the extended warranty, rust-proofing, etc. They tried to sell me the electronic rust control at something like $500 and like you, I was suprised that they were still around. I've never used one nor do I know anyone who has so I can't say much about them, however there are a bunch of News group discussions that debate their effectiveness and the general consensus seems to be that they don't work.

When I signed my deal for my Shelby, I had to go through the Finance Manager step where they try to get you to buy the extended warranty, rust-proofing, etc. They tried to sell me the electronic rust control at something like $500 and like you, I was suprised that they were still around. I've never used one nor do I know anyone who has so I can't say much about them, however there are a bunch of News group discussions that debate their effectiveness and the general consensus seems to be that they don't work.

Thanks for the link... some interesting stuff....Doesn't seem to be worth the $$'s..

Thanks for the link... some interesting stuff....Doesn't seem to be worth the $$'s..

I think we're all pessimistic here, myself included, for good reason.

A big However.... The one that Crappy Tire is selling has been around the longest and for $199 rather than over $500 at the Dealer, what the heck? I won't be driving her in the Winter so who's to ever know better? I do have a friend who uses one on his last year production Firechicken and he absolutely swears by it. By the way, I'll be placing my Shelby inside a Car Capsule from December 1st until May 1st. $279 USA.

www.carcapsule.com

A big However.... The one that Crappy Tire is selling has been around the longest and for $199 rather than over $500 at the Dealer, what the heck? I won't be driving her in the Winter so who's to ever know better? I do have a friend who uses one on his last year production Firechicken and he absolutely swears by it. By the way, I'll be placing my Shelby inside a Car Capsule from December 1st until May 1st. $279 USA.

www.carcapsule.com

They tried to sell that to me after I gave them my cheque to pay for the car in full.

$500.00

I said no thanks.

They were surprised that I paid cash for the car.

I guess they like financing.

I do not believe in financing toys.

Just my 2 cents.

Mike

I do have a friend who uses one on his last year production Firechicken and he absolutely swears by it.

One interesting test would be to park it outside and see if the rotors get rusty. The rotors on my daily driver will develop a thin coat of rust after two days outside.

I'll probably end up doing what you mentioned earlier - using a spray can of Krown on stuff that's easily accessible. I've had Krown spray my daily drivers for years now and that stuff really does work but it sure is messy.

I guess they like financing.

The dealers get a fee from the bank/financing company when they get the customer to finance. Some really shady dealers will talk the customer into signing financing, telling them to call the finance company the next day to pay the loan off, customer will only be on the hook for a couple bucks worth of interest. Little does the customer know, he is also on the hook for registration fees, and some companies still compute their interest using the rule of 78s, meaning the interest charge is much more than 1 days worth. When the customer complains, there is nothing in writing that the dealer 'talked' the customer into getting the financing, only a signed loan contract.

I'll probably end up doing what you mentioned earlier - using a spray can of Krown on stuff that's easily accessible. I've had Krown spray my daily drivers for years now and that stuff really does work but it sure is messy.

Ya Joe, the Can'ed version is a lot less viscous then what Krown applies.

www.carcapsule.com

Just got back from inspecting the car....AWESOME....now even more I don't want to have the whole thing hosed down in rust proofing... 07 I think I am going to also invest the couple hundred bucks... can't hurt.... A few targeted sprays from a can, the gizmo and it should be in good shape. My garage is semi heated so all I usually use is a car cover, especially when doing body work on another car nearby....!! I looked at the car capuse and it sure looks neat... Will you be using it indoor or outside?

Bert

Hi All...

Just an update, spoke to the dealer about the electronic rust protection, and for the $500.00 Ford unit, you do get a lifetime warranty. May be something to consider....?? Canadian Tire will warranty for 5 years (I believe) if they install otherwise 1 yr... for $200.00....

I am going to get the paperwork for the Ford unit and review then if it is what they say, I will likely go with it...

Bert

Hi All...

Just an update, spoke to the dealer about the electronic rust protection, and for the $500.00 Ford unit, you do get a lifetime warranty. May be something to consider....?? Canadian Tire will warranty for 5 years (I believe) if they install otherwise 1 yr... for $200.00....

I am going to get the paperwork for the Ford unit and review then if it is what they say, I will likely go with it...

Bert

Bert, the reservation that I have with the Ford Dealer Installed Unit is that it is apparently the same Electronic Rust Control Unit, Total Protection, that had been ordered to cease marketing by the Canadian Competition Bureau. Since then this same Unit has been re-introduced under various other names. The internals of the device remains the same though. What is the name of the Device that Your Dealer is trying to sell you? How long have they been around, with the same name?

http://www.ic.gc.ca/cmb/welcomeic.nsf/ffc9...33;OpenDocument

Here's a Link to the Crappy Tire Unit with Installation Instructions. Looks like a 'no-brainer'.

http://www.counteractrust.com/counteract.htm

Something to think about....

:sos:

Just trying to help here..............since I was in the business selling Rustproofing years ago.........read all the words including the fine print on your warranties.

Very common to read 'rust perforation', this means they won't warranty until you can stick a pen/pencil thru a rust area/hole. If you have just surface rust, good luck you may need it. Best approach is undercoat the underside only (with the thicker parafin wax type of rustproofing), keep it clean and wash regularly (yes I installed a hot water supply in my garage.......neighbors think I'm cracked when I wash in the winter and skate down my driveway afterwards :)) But..........my cars are always clean and rustfree

:sos:

Just trying to help here..............since I was in the business selling Rustproofing years ago.........read all the words including the fine print on your warranties.

Very common to read 'rust perforation', this means they won't warranty until you can stick a pen/pencil thru a rust area/hole. If you have just surface rust, good luck you may need it. Best approach is undercoat the underside only (with the thicker parafin wax type of rustproofing), keep it clean and wash regularly (yes I installed a hot water supply in my garage.......neighbors think I'm cracked when I wash in the winter and skate down my driveway afterwards :)) But..........my cars are always clean and rustfree

Hey SVT.. thanks for the input... you are quite right on the warranty.... I think you will find (or should I say are quite aware ) most all rust proofing warranties are worded that same...basically no hole, no warranty! I have dealt with Krown out of Hamilton for years and they have touched up surface rust in the past, but that was due to chipped off paint around the access holes drilled... Being under the 500 during PDI, I really hate to cover it up with any rust proofing.... Since it will be sleeping over the winter, I was really toying with the idea of having parts powder coated and back for next season..?? My real concern is that the car could be driven in the rain... sometimes just can't be avoided.... other than that, won't really get dirty...so I hope that the electronic unit will at least help, especailly with targeted manual application of Krown or equal... Still, I will review the Ford contract in detail (same as what I do at work) and will pass on any highlights I find.

Bert

:party:

You're welcome. by the way, I'm not rustproofing this car.........toy only, stored in the winter, and rain won't hurt it if it happens to caught in the rain. I will be painting a few items that come untouched with black paint/black undercoat i.e. rear differential comes bare

Don't know what capabilities you have, but I found a source for VHT Epoxy paint, black, in a spray can, that is awesome!! Holds up really well. I have done the engine bay and inner fenders of my 70 Cougar (pix attached). Great stuff...

Bert

post-6785-1158936715_thumb.jpg

post-6785-1158937665_thumb.jpg

post-6785-1158936715_thumb.jpg

post-6785-1158937665_thumb.jpg

Bert, the reservation that I have with the Ford Dealer Installed Unit is that it is apparently the same Electronic Rust Control Unit, Total Protection, that had been ordered to cease marketing by the Canadian Competition Bureau. Since then this same Unit has been re-introduced under various other names. The internals of the device remains the same though. What is the name of the Device that Your Dealer is trying to sell you? How long have they been around, with the same name?

http://www.ic.gc.ca/cmb/welcomeic.nsf/ffc9...33;OpenDocument

Here's a Link to the Crappy Tire Unit with Installation Instructions. Looks like a 'no-brainer'.

http://www.counteractrust.com/counteract.htm

Something to think about....

Hey 07. thanks for the heads up and the links. I will get the info and post for your info. I would much rather fill the tank a couple times rather that dump money into something that does not work...

Bert

Don't know what capabilities you have, but I found a source for VHT Epoxy paint, black, in a spray can, that is awesome!! Holds up really well. I have done the engine bay and inner fenders of my 70 Cougar (pix attached). Great stuff...

Bert

Bert, my body guy in Stoney Creek is also working on a 70 Cougar convertible. They have great lines. Looks like you have a very solid car there.

Bert, my body guy in Stoney Creek is also working on a 70 Cougar convertible. They have great lines. Looks like you have a very solid car there.

Thanks PR... but NO was not a very solid piece at all... likely should not have been touched. I have replaced everything from the top bodyline down... rear frame rails, inner/quarters, floors, rockers, inner fenders, doors, both torque boxes, front fenders and even the rad support. I have also added a full frame, hidden, so it still looks stock, but you can lift the car from anywhere and not get any flex... good for a 70's convert... but finally, looking like a car again... motor is done, 351C with FMX trans and 3.00 posi 9" posi rear. Only 1900++ 70 convert XR7's built, so with only 50K original miles (purchased from known original owner) worth looking after...

Bert

Archived