TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Whipple 08 Supercharger What the H$&&*SH(*&

What is the hold up on not only Whipple but superchargers in genaeral for the 08s? The damn 09s are coming out and still squat on the superchargers and this has been going on since at least Feb 08. Crap had I known all this bs I would have looked for an 07 SGT. Some idiot had to change something on the 08 emission and we go back to the stone age drawing board. I feel for anyone that has or had a car in a shop taken apart thinking they were getting one anytime soon. :censored::banghead::rant2::soapbox:

From your post I cannot tell if you are seeking to buy a S/C in general or have it installed by SAI or one of its affiliated Mod Shops. The 2008 Mustangs have at least two S/C that are C.A.R.B. certified, the Kenne Bell and the Whipple. Paxton remains on the sidelines. SAI is producing 2008 Shelby GT/SCs as we speak. From your post I cannot tell what S/C you would prefer. If you are going through SAI, I suppest you e-mail Bud (budm@shelbyautos.com) and he will get you straight on the timetable for your car. Good luck. I know how you feel. I waited 6 months for my 2008.

Jim

Hmmm, so is that SGT on their page turbo charged? I would like to see some pics and numbers if so.

It looks like they also replace the X pipe with an H pipe.

they claim

440 HORSEPOWER / 465 FT LBS. OF TORQUE AT THE REAR WHEELS @ 8 PSI BOOST (506 HP/535 FT LBS TORQUE AT THE CRANK) WITH STOCK 4.6 LITER ENGINE, STOCK FUEL PUMP & STOCK MASS AIRFLOW METER

they claim

440 HORSEPOWER / 465 FT LBS. OF TORQUE AT THE REAR WHEELS @ 8 PSI BOOST (506 HP/535 FT LBS TORQUE AT THE CRANK) WITH STOCK 4.6 LITER ENGINE, STOCK FUEL PUMP & STOCK MASS AIRFLOW METER

The part that does not make sense to me is the stock fuel pump. Horsepower still takes fuel and air and I don't see how they can move the fuel with only a stock pump. I also have been trying, for months, to get an answer as to what the set up weighs. That is a lot of plumbing.

Jim

The part that does not make sense to me is the stock fuel pump. Horsepower still takes fuel and air and I don't see how they can move the fuel with only a stock pump. I also have been trying, for months, to get an answer as to what the set up weighs. That is a lot of plumbing.

Jim

Jim,

I think if they keep the boost down and 440 RWHP the turbo's do most of the power building. When you get up into the 5-600 HP numbers you would need a "boost-a-pump" to get more fuel. It does look like there is some weight there. But the tubing is most likely aluminum and the intakes look carbon fiber. Almost no weight gain. I would assume there would be weight weight gain from the turbo units. But not much more than a Whipple, KB or Paxton after install. :shrug:

Roger

Hmmm, so is that SGT on their page turbo charged? I would like to see some pics and numbers if so.

It looks like they also replace the X pipe with an H pipe.

got a reply, they have this set up on a 07-SGT with stock fuel pump,MAF and 39lbs/hr injectors. Dyno sheet (Dynojet) reads 456.53 max hp/493.27 max torque.

Jim

It depends how much hp you want. Why upgrade the fuel pumps on the stock 4.6 when it can't take big hp gains. If you want high hp you upgrade the pumps and injectors along with new internals.

It depends how hp you want. Why upgrade the fuel pumps on the stock 4.6 when it can't take big hp gains. If you want high hp you upgrade the pumps and injectors along with new internals.

Sometimes my 60's roots show up. Back then, I always went from a mechanical fuel pump to an electric one. Just something that was step one. With carbs, we ran such huge secondaries that my fear was that, absent the fuel pump bump we would starve those secondaries. With injectors, it is a whole new ballgame.

Jim

I was specifically referring to the Whipple 08 system. It may be CARB Cert but the pricing is not finalized and still waiting one part to get there from the airbox change that was mandated. I have talked with Whipple and FRPP for several weeks and it is not out yet for purchasing for the 08. SAI does not have this system either nor will anyone get it until all the bs is completed. Not sure what is so difficult in pricing or getting a simple part for the new airbox system that is required for the 08s. This was supposed to be completed by June. Well it's Aug now. I would have gone with a KB but some had nose leaks and I don't want a centrifugal. Whipple has the best record I see and will just have to wait. I just am getting annoyed at waiting for months over something so simple.

Go with the TVS2300/Roush package that just came out. I know alot of you have a problem with the Roush name on a Shelby. It's no different then having Steeda,BMR,CHE or Saleen parts on the Shelby. If it works use it, it's good enough for SAI to put them on the 605hp Super Snake. If the Roush name bugs you that much just remove the emblem and stick on FRPP.

I was specifically referring to the Whipple 08 system. It may be CARB Cert but the pricing is not finalized and still waiting one part to get there from the airbox change that was mandated. I have talked with Whipple and FRPP for several weeks and it is not out yet for purchasing for the 08. SAI does not have this system either nor will anyone get it until all the bs is completed. Not sure what is so difficult in pricing or getting a simple part for the new airbox system that is required for the 08s. This was supposed to be completed by June. Well it's Aug now. I would have gone with a KB but some had nose leaks and I don't want a centrifugal. Whipple has the best record I see and will just have to wait. I just am getting annoyed at waiting for months over something so simple.

I don't want to start an argument, but I'd like to know where you found the reliability facts. I must have missed that during my research. No company's blowers are 100% perfect 100% of the time, but I'm going on my fifth year with a Kenne Bell 1.7L twin-screw supercharger bolted on to my stock 4.6L 2 valve with zero issues! KB is reputable in my book.

Jim

this TT weighs approx 125lbs, so if you change out the K member and the radiator bracket it's a wash + or - a few lbs.

this TT weighs approx 125lbs, so if you change out the K member and the radiator bracket it's a wash + or - a few lbs.

Thanks! Good to know you can make weight a non-issue. I think over the next 5 years, the industry is going to put some real R&D into turbos. With "free" horsepower, it is a natural for $4-$5 gas.

Jim

what is the weight of a Whipple, KB, or Paxton with intercooler?

From what I understand the Whipple installed with an intercoller weighs 140lbs. It's not the lightest mod you can make but I'm hoping the HPs make up for the weight. I was also told that the Paxton was some where around 100lbs installed with the plumbing and intercoller.

Archived