TEAM SHELBY FORUM

I did it!

I was playing around on SPP the other night and saw that the CF splitter is going to cost around $700 to replace, so I decided to take it off and put it up. Most folks dont know that it has a CF splitter anyways.

After the guy with the KR busted his driving down the road it just got me thinking. I would rather replaced the plastic one 5 times than the CF one time!

Do yall think Im anal? Just $700 is alot of money!!

michael morris

Now that I have it off I found out something REALLY cool. 40 years from now someone will ask " Is that the correct splitter" Yes look at the date!!! The splitter has a mfg date on it. Mines 12-7-07!! If its not dated right it might be real hard to find the correct one!!!

Ill take pictures in a few minutes.

michael morris

I'll be the first to say I think it is a shame.

The car is more cohesive with the carbon front splitter as it ties in with the carbon side skirts and mirrors.

It will be a lot harder for me to replace mine and I'm not going to take it off.

I’d rather enjoy the car as Shelby intended and fix it if need be but not try to worry about things before they happen.

Think about it logically – some idiot can put a crease in your door every time you park it – does that mean you won’t drive it?

You can curb one of those expensive wheels, or road debris can damage them, does that mean you stick the GT500 rims back on?

Where do you draw the line?

Michael, it is a lot of money and I understand your logic but a few years back I realized that when I sold a car it was in showroom condition and the only person who got the benefit was the guy who bought it from me; I was buying cars but worrying about them whenever I got behind the wheel – therefore, I wasn’t actually enjoying them or getting my moneys worth.

Just my 2-cents… or 70000 if you have to replace your splitter ;)

Michael, I have two thoughts/idea about this, and I'm not joking...

1. See if you can find a local painter that does quality airbrushing and see if he or she can airbrush a Carbon Fiber pattern onto the OEM splitter. I have seen airbrushed CF patterns, and they really can look authentic if they are done right. And if the painter uses the proper amount of flex additive in the paint, the CF look should last in the event that the plastic splitter gets hit by something.

2. As CWH suggested, if you do decide to put the CF splitter back on for special events, think about mounting both spliters with Duez Fastners (some call them clips). In case you may not know what those are, they are speed fastners that most/all race cars have on them to mount body panels and the like. They are spring loaded, and come off with a half a turn from a std. tip screwdriver.

On the other hand, if idea #1 comes out nice, then you can just leave the OEM splitter on and scrub idea #2 completely.

Just my .02 cents.

I'll be the first to say I think it is a shame.

The car is more cohesive with the carbon front splitter as it ties in with the carbon side skirts and mirrors.

It will be a lot harder for me to replace mine and I'm not going to take it off.

I'd rather enjoy the car as Shelby intended and fix it if need be but not try to worry about things before they happen.

Think about it logically – some idiot can put a crease in your door every time you park it – does that mean you won't drive it?

You can curb one of those expensive wheels, or road debris can damage them, does that mean you stick the GT500 rims back on?

Where do you draw the line?

Michael, it is a lot of money and I understand your logic but a few years back I realized that when I sold a car it was in showroom condition and the only person who got the benefit was the guy who bought it from me; I was buying cars but worrying about them whenever I got behind the wheel – therefore, I wasn't actually enjoying them or getting my moneys worth.

Just my 2-cents… or 70000 if you have to replace your splitter ;)

+1 How about putting the stock blower back on to save the original one too. :poke:

+1 How about putting the stock blower back on to save the original one too. :poke:

Not worried about running over a tire tread and breaking the blower!! :hysterical: The splitter doesnt have any affect on the performance of the car. Well not the CF compared to Plastic.

michael morris

The other thing I was thinking is that in the next few months others will start making a CF splitter. Then the price drops and I buy one of them for the car. I like the look of the CF, but the factory one dont look bad. If I go to another car show I will put the CF back on.

This is a tough one guys! Im going to leave the plastic on for awhile. I have the CF boxed up. Watch someone put something on the box and break the splitter! :hysterical:

michael morris

The car deserves to have the CF splitter on!! How much are you driving the car anways? Besides, you have ~$80,000 in the car, right. What's another $675. to replace the splitter should you happen to hit something. If you can't pay, don't play is my motto. LOL

Unlike most of yall I do make a payment every month. $700 is ALOT of money to me.

I do agree that if you going to spend $90K on a car $700 shouldnt be that much, BUT it is.

I drive the car about every week if the weather is good. Most of its around town or up the interstate. I have already found a CF splitter for $400. I think in the next few months more folks will start making them and they will get alot cheaper. Then I will put an AFTERMARKET splitter on the car and NO ONE will be the wiser.

I dont want to drive the car and the whole time Im WORRIED that Im going to tear up the splitter. Its the only part of the car that I worry about. Im scared for my wife to drive it because I dont think she would pay attention where she parks or steep drives!

michael morris

Michael, I have two thoughts/idea about this, and I'm not joking...

1. See if you can find a local painter that does quality airbrushing and see if he or she can airbrush a Carbon Fiber pattern onto the OEM splitter. I have seen airbrushed CF patterns, and they really can look authentic if they are done right. And if the painter uses the proper amount of flex additive in the paint, the CF look should last in the event that the plastic splitter gets hit by something.

2. As CWH suggested, if you do decide to put the CF splitter back on for special events, think about mounting both spliters with Duez Fastners (some call them clips). In case you may not know what those are, they are speed fastners that most/all race cars have on them to mount body panels and the like. They are spring loaded, and come off with a half a turn from a std. tip screwdriver.

On the other hand, if idea #1 comes out nice, then you can just leave the OEM splitter on and scrub idea #2 completely.

Just my .02 cents.

The new Dodge Challenger just came out & it has a CF decals on the hood, see if you can get that from the Dodge parts dept & apply that to a sanded down plastic splitter

I think it's a good idea since it's an item that is impossible to get and likely to get broken.

Once the KR's get caught up and parts become available I would put it back on though.

Stumpy, the SS CF spliters are available, just expensive to replace. The KR spliter is different than the SS spliter as the SS spliter is notched at the nose (the apex), whereas the KR's comes to a point.

Speaking of splitters, Michael or Enis do you know what SAI is going to do with the 1000 or so take off stock splitters?

I know you can pick one up from Ford for around $75.00.

Speaking of splitters, Michael or Enis do you know what SAI is going to do with the 1000 or so take off stock splitters?

I can't say with an 100% certainity Michael, but as I understand it most of the take off parts are sold by SAI in bulk to a parts distributor they work with. You might try contacting Bud and see what he says.

I got mine back when they shipped the parts! I dont know how many folks are getting thier take off parts back, but I did.

michael morris

I was playing around on SPP the other night and saw that the CF splitter is going to cost around $700 to replace, so I decided to take it off and put it up. Most folks dont know that it has a CF splitter anyways.

After the guy with the KR busted his driving down the road it just got me thinking. I would rather replaced the plastic one 5 times than the CF one time!

michael morris

I've stopped replacing them after the first time. And mine are just the factory plastic. I bought a third one and put it in the attic, and the second one is on the car--dings and all. The original is around here somewhere too.

I also haven't changed the front wheel that I dinged last summer. I've got two new factory fronts in the attic also.

:happy feet:

michael morris

Not anal, just smart. Maybe put it on down the road. I've replaced mine 3 times and need to again from bumping and dragging it.

Not anal, just smart. Maybe put it on down the road. I've replaced mine 3 times and need to again from bumping and dragging it.

+1. You're doing the right thing IMHO. These splitters are easy to damage and expensive to replace.

I've stopped replacing them after the first time. And mine are just the factory plastic. I bought a third one and put it in the attic, and the second one is on the car--dings and all. The original is around here somewhere too.

I also haven't changed the front wheel that I dinged last summer. I've got two new factory fronts in the attic also.

:happy feet:

Lurker, Sure do like your new Chally! wish I had the bucks to get one in black.. how many miles on it so far? Instead of getting the SS package I could kick in a bit more and get a chally! what are your likes and dislikes between the 2 cars?

Not trying to hi-jack the thread here, but a question was raised above that I'd like to know more about. I was under the impression that the SS and KR shared the same CF splitter. The KR splitter is supposed to be something like 31% more effective than the stock plastic one. This being the case, what do we know about the SS splitter? Is it yet a different design or just a copy of the factory plastic one in CF?

Saleen 89-215

Archived