TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Heard a Rumor about the GT350

Larry T

The other day I was reading some posts by Amy B from Shelby motors and from her answering of questions and where these answers were leading I got the impression that the GT350 may be a package that you may order on your Shelby GT. After all it would make sense with the announcement of the Bullitt for 2008 and the BOSS looming on the horizon. The Mustang/Shelby screaming that 325 HP for $35K is just not going to cut it. But 400-425 HP for $35K - $37K just might do it, also there was a huge mention of many options (nothing specific) better brakes, more power and maybe that blue/white combination that she has mentioned a few times and one of the biggest things is a possible name change . Maybe give the Shelby Gt 350 HP and have an optional supercharger,Hertz hood, and blue seat inserts and call it the GT350?

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showt...1517&page=3

Guest evilchris

Yeah, but @ $35, and you add the S/C option (probably $3500-ish at a minimum), and now you're at $38,500...too close in price to the '500 if you ask me...

It will be a lighter, more nimble car. The GT500 is not balanced. A GT350 will probably be superior to a GT500.

I believe I'll have to wave the bullshit flag on that one.

Has there ever, in the history of mankind, been a GT350 superior to a GT500? No.

Has there ever, in the history of mankind, been a GT350 superior to a GT500? No.

A couple of things I have to say here:

I read a review about the Shelby GT vs the '500. Looks like the 500 lb diet helped in the handling dept (who would have thought that? :hysterical: ).

This car could be viscious w/a blower, and could very well dust the'500 in a turn, and keep up with it on a straight. You just wouldn't have "bragging rights" for most HP.

As for your question: Has there ever, in the history of mankind, been a GT350 superior to a GT500?

Actually, I have owned both the GT350, and the GT500. I have to say, I loved the torque of the '500. BUT.....The '350 would absolutely dust the 500 in a turn. And I miss the 350 more than the 500, it did not feel like a slop wagon on the twisties.....500s were better drag racers IMO.

The 350 vs the 500 argument is still a hot subject in SAAC today (Shelby American Club), each group has their own opinion.

By the way, have you ever ridden in a GT350R? Now that might change your perception entirely! :shift: :happy feet: :party:

Edit: after reading the Shelby GT review, if they offer a '350 option, I just might jump on that!

Guest evilchris

Big difference now bubba: A Shelby GT350 versus a Ford GT500. The GT500 is too heavy to be a good all around car.

Y'all know how I'm approaching this matter. :shift:

Names on the flanks mean zero to me.

Let's take off the gloves.

Let us order a GT350 - and let us delete the rear seat - the AC - the stereo - the power windows et al - the extra bodywork - and give us HORSEPOWER, BIG BRAKES, and a ROLL BAR.

Which part of this don't you understand, Bill? Mustang buyers are not soccer moms. Here's an old Ford slogan: "Back to Basics." Try it. I don't even need side windows. Make it run - stop - and corner.

GT-350.

NO BS - ALL PERFORMANCE.

Guest evilchris

I totaly agree, I wouldn't buy a 500 if I couldn't afford one either!

Care to bet $10,000 cash on whether or not I can afford one? Or all you all mouth? My money's on the table. Is yours?

I just paid $30,000 cash for a GT and can prove that right now by scanning the pink slip where you'll find nothing in the "lienholder" area. I think if I can handle $30k cash, $45k isn't much of a stretch. Calling the GT500 FAT which it is doesn't mean someone can't afford one. I happen to think a GT/Shelby GT can be built into a better performing machine, for less money. Enjoy your $45k loan at 10% APR for 96 months, bubba! I'll enjoy my new car which I own outright and build it the way I want it. Maybe you'll see your pink slip in 95 more months. =)

Everytime someone calls me out, I own them. Ready for your spanking?

IMG_5338.JPG

Got your pink slip tough guy? I'll bet you mine that I can easily afford a GT500. The fact that I'm not an idiot with my money has nothing to do with what I can afford. So, I call you out again... care to back up your assertion that I "can't afford" a GT500 with a bet for an entire car?

I'll let you whimper away in silence. :hysterical::fan::finger:

Care to bet $10,000 cash on whether or not I can afford one? Or all you all mouth? My money's on the table. Is yours?

I just paid $30,000 cash for a GT and can prove that right now by scanning the pink slip where you'll find nothing in the "lienholder" area. I think if I can handle $30k cash, $45k isn't much of a stretch. Calling the GT500 FAT which it is doesn't mean someone can't afford one. I happen to think a GT/Shelby GT can be built into a better performing machine, for less money. Enjoy your $45k loan at 10% APR for 96 months, bubba! I'll enjoy my new car which I own outright and build it the way I want it. Maybe you'll see your pink slip in 95 more months. =)

Everytime someone calls me out, I own them. Ready for your spanking?

IMG_5338.JPG

Got your pink slip tough guy? I'll bet you mine that I can easily afford a GT500. The fact that I'm not an idiot with my money has nothing to do with what I can afford. So, I call you out again... care to back up your assertion that I "can't afford" a GT500 with a bet for an entire car?

I'll let you whimper away in silence. :hysterical::fan::finger:

Alright Chris, I made an a-- out of my self asuming you couldn't afford a 500, you just did the same thing by asuming my GT500 is not paid for, it is paid for in full and in my name. I can not scan my title for you or anyone else at this very moment, I don't own a scanner. I could probably could take my clear title to a local print shop and have it scanned to disk for you. Now lets talk about the second claim you make, when you are done modifying your Mustang GT sometime in the future, and who knows when? Show us your receipts and ET slips. In the mean time go ahead and slam the 07 Ford Shelby GT 500 if that makes you feel good. Personaly, I am just sick and tired of you putting the GT500 down.

You know as well as anyone that you will never be able to recoupe all the money you spend on your GT Mustang modifications, to make it as fast and handle better than a 07 Shelby GT500.

Guest evilchris

Alright Chris, I made an a-- out of my self asuming you couldn't afford a 500, you just did the same thing by asuming my GT500 is not paid for, it is paid for in full and in my name. I can not scan my title for you or anyone else at this very moment, I don't own a scanner. I could probably could take my clear title to a local print shop and have it scanned to disk for you. Now lets talk about the second claim you make, when you are done modifying your Mustang GT sometime in the future, and who knows when? Show us your receipts and ET slips. In the mean time go ahead and slam the 07 Ford Shelby GT 500 if that makes you feel good. Personaly, I am just sick and tired of you putting the GT500 down.

You know as well as anyone that you will never be able to recoupe all the money you spend on your GT Mustang modifications, to make it as fast and handle better than a 07 Shelby GT500.

I returned the assness on you. I'm just tired of people assuming you're a hater or can't afford a 500 ANYTIME someone says ANYTHING about it that isn't praise.

I don't give a crap what I recoup. My car isn't an investment it's a toy.

The handle better part is the easiest thing in the world man. $1000 in parts... Eibach Pro-Kit, Adj Panhard from BMR, and Tokiko D-Spec shocks and the GT will destroy a GT500 in handling. The GT500 has very minimal improvements in suspension tuning over the GT. Different dampers and springs, and a K member lower brace + cheap single bar strut tower brace. Not much! Sure, put those same parts on the GT500 and it will best the GT on the skidpad right? Wrong. You can't do much about the 400 lbs extra weight. The GT500 is not a car built for handling, it's too heavy. Try and remember the GT500 is built on the EXACT SAME PLATFORM as a base V6 Mustang there are NO DIFFERENCES in the chassis. When you set the GT and GT500 up the same with suspension components, the GT500 will always lose in maximum grip because of weight. Can't get around it. THAT'S WHY I think a built 4.6 GT, supercharged, will be an overall better car than a GT500 when total performance is viewed, not just the 1/4.

Chris is Right - They are "toys". Expensive toys, but still toys. The GT500 is a great car. The GT is also a great car. They both have there strong and weak points. They are both Fun to ride. Some day i look forward to owning both. Remember that saying "the man with the most toys wins" !!! :rockon:

Does anyone know where all this extra weight comes from? Just the block, tranny and suspension improvements account for this? How could Ford reduce the weight and still keep it the same price?

I returned the assness on you. I'm just tired of people assuming you're a hater or can't afford a 500 ANYTIME someone says ANYTHING about it that isn't praise.

I don't give a crap what I recoup. My car isn't an investment it's a toy.

The handle better part is the easiest thing in the world man. $1000 in parts... Eibach Pro-Kit, Adj Panhard from BMR, and Tokiko D-Spec shocks and the GT will destroy a GT500 in handling. The GT500 has very minimal improvements in suspension tuning over the GT. Different dampers and springs, and a K member lower brace + cheap single bar strut tower brace. Not much! Sure, put those same parts on the GT500 and it will best the GT on the skidpad right? Wrong. You can't do much about the 400 lbs extra weight. The GT500 is not a car built for handling, it's too heavy. Try and remember the GT500 is built on the EXACT SAME PLATFORM as a base V6 Mustang there are NO DIFFERENCES in the chassis. When you set the GT and GT500 up the same with suspension components, the GT500 will always lose in maximum grip because of weight. Can't get around it. THAT'S WHY I think a built 4.6 GT, supercharged, will be an overall better car than a GT500 when total performance is viewed, not just the 1/4.

First, tell us which of the two contradictions you want to stick with "The fact that I'm not an idiot with my money has nothing to do with what I can afford." or "I don't give a crap what I recoup. My car isn't an investment it's a toy". Second, have you driven a 07 GT500? Third, have you driven a S281 Super Charged Saleen, 57K MSRP? I personaly would not trade a 07 Shelby for any built 281, except an Extreem, and I could not afford one. Not sure if the Extreem is a 281?

Y'all know how I'm approaching this matter. :shift:

Names on the flanks mean zero to me.

Let's take off the gloves.

Let us order a GT350 - and let us delete the rear seat - the AC - the stereo - the power windows et al - the extra bodywork - and give us HORSEPOWER, BIG BRAKES, and a ROLL BAR.

Which part of this don't you understand, Bill? Mustang buyers are not soccer moms. Here's an old Ford slogan: "Back to Basics." Try it. I don't even need side windows. Make it run - stop - and corner.

GT-350.

NO BS - ALL PERFORMANCE.

95% with you, my friend. I don't need no stinkin' labels. Keep it skinney, light & fast. Cloth seats (better grip for my butt, IMO). I do need a/c & windows, the only concession though. I want a autocross car with big power that I can drive daily. :shift:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived