TEAM SHELBY FORUM

muffler mod = dissapointing

Hey guys i recently felt the need for some more noise from the shelby gt. So I looked into axle back kits and mufflers and decided to go with the flowmaster supper 44's. being that flowmaster did not have a direct fit, I had to fabricate the new mufflers onto the old hangers, pipes, and the factory exhaust tips. To make along story short I spent 8 hours making the new mufflers look exactly as it came from the factory only to start it up and hear very litte difference. The only difference in sound i can hear is at about 1000-2000 rpm when taking off slowly. Once you get up to speed it sounds exactly the same.

I ws wondering what you guys thought, and if anyone had installed a system that really sounded good. Ill definitly be taking the bolt on route this time around.

Hey guys i recently felt the need for some more noise from the shelby gt. So I looked into axle back kits and mufflers and decided to go with the flowmaster supper 44's. being that flowmaster did not have a direct fit, I had to fabricate the new mufflers onto the old hangers, pipes, and the factory exhaust tips. To make along story short I spent 8 hours making the new mufflers look exactly as it came from the factory only to start it up and hear very litte difference. The only difference in sound i can hear is at about 1000-2000 rpm when taking off slowly. Once you get up to speed it sounds exactly the same.

I ws wondering what you guys thought, and if anyone had installed a system that really sounded good. Ill definitly be taking the bolt on route this time around.

We have members that have changed the exhaust 3-4 times before they get the sound they are looking for. Good luck on your next set.

I was just looking at the Ford Racing mufflers - Anyone tried these puppies yet ???

M-5230-5GT*

T-304 stainless construction

Louder, "throatier" exhaust note

49 state drive-by noise legal (not legal in CA)

Includes mufflers with Ford Racing embossed 3.5" exhaust tips

The axle backs that come on our cars are already aftermarket, high flow mufflers. Also, the S197 cars are nothing like the old foxes when it comes to bolting on exhaust to gain more noise. The only way you are going to drastically change the tone of your exhaust and make it as aggressive as I think you want is going to be with either a catless x or h pipe, one with high flow cats, or no mufflers at all. the cats that are on these cars are very restrictive and that is why you hear no change with the flowmasters. I love the flowmaster sound and have flowmasters on every vehicle I own, they are just not for these s197 cars with the factory cats. If all you are looking for is loud exhaust you will never get there with just a axle back, never.

The SLP loudmouths are about as loud as your gonna get with an axle back, imo. A friend of mine owns an exhaust shop and we have experimented with many axle backs on my car, I wound up putting the stock mufflers back on with a catless x-pipe. I know, I know, to the cat police this is very bad, but it sounds bad ass so oh well.

If anyone does not agree please speak up, as this is what I have found with my experience with my car.

I was just looking at the Ford Racing mufflers - Anyone tried these puppies yet ???

M-5230-5GT*

T-304 stainless construction

Louder, "throatier" exhaust note

49 state drive-by noise legal (not legal in CA)

Includes mufflers with Ford Racing embossed 3.5" exhaust tips

Just put these on and I love them. Deep sound without being obnoxious. I have yet to experience "the drone" but don't have any real highway time yet.

Just put these on and I love them. Deep sound without being obnoxious. I have yet to experience "the drone" but don't have any real highway time yet.

I have the SGT so is there a difference between the mufflers on the GT 500 stock vs. the SGT ? I have good sound just want a tad more...

Yo Stump, just curious, what is the interior noise level like when cruising? Is there a droning sound?
l

No idea. That is just the car with the mufflers off which I reinstalled later. The FRPP mufflers are starting to burn out now and getting a good growl so I doubt I'll be doing any exhaust mods now but I was going to go with straight pipes.

Ask Lulu. He runs straights and I believe loves 'em.

l

No idea. That is just the car with the mufflers off which I reinstalled later. The FRPP mufflers are starting to burn out now and getting a good growl so I doubt I'll be doing any exhaust mods now but I was going to go with straight pipes.

Ask Lulu. He runs straights and I believe loves 'em.

I love LuLu's straights-rode behind him for several miles-they sound great.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with Stump and LuLu, don't waste your money on pricy mufflers...go muffler deletes with PYPES, sounds equally as good if not better in my opinion. I love my muffler deletes, best $189 i ever spent from Brenspeed! :happy feet:

Oh and I forgot to mention the best thing is you don't get that annoying resonating at highway speed, car quiets right down to stock

I don't have a video of my SGT but i found this 05 GT with PYPES muffler deletes on boob tube...some may think its too loud but i think it makes mine sound like a Shelby should sound....just keep your foot out of the throttle in town or when you see the law

oh and dont be dissapointed on your first initial cold startup crackle sound from the pipes sitting parked and revving....the crackling sound goes away when its under load while driving

PYPES

Yep...Muffler delete here, straight pipe from the cats back.

I love the sound, both at idle and WOT, and every RPM in between. I extended the tips an extra inch past the rear facia and this mutes the howl and groan of a typical low restriction exhaust system. The car is relatively silent at idle, roars in WOT, and cruising at highway speeds is very mellow. Let off the throttle and the car goes silent. Coasting down through the gears (engine braking) is just like the old days with adequate snap, crackle and pop. Awesome.

I didn't buy Pypes or the SLP loudmouths. I went to a local Midas and had SS pipe mandrel bent and installed, adding SPP tips I had on hand. 158.00, and I can restore my OEM SGT mufflers in about an hour. Way to go, IMHO.

Happy motoring, gents.

I have to say, and I posted a topic on this already. I just purchased boomtubes. (http://www.brenspeed.com/bt2005.html) Installed them in around an hour with my kids playing with my sockets. I have to say the sound of my Shelby is now... Sonic! Now I can't wait to come home from work and drive her. It's a perfect muscle car growl. I have had 9 other stangs mostly w/ Flowmasters and that's on the 90's stangs. My 06 had Bassani exhaust. This is real nice. But the best exhaust I have ever heard was from a person in my area driving a GT500. I never caught him to ask, but I will find him eventually. And when I find out what he's running, it's going in my SGT vert the next day. And if by chance that person is on this forum. You were driving a white GT500 on RT6 in Yorktown NY, heading towards Mahopac. I need to talk to you. :drool:

But the best exhaust I have ever heard was from a person in my area driving a GT500. I never caught him to ask, but I will find him eventually. And when I find out what he's running, it's going in my SGT vert the next day. And if by chance that person is on this forum. You were driving a white GT500 on RT6 in Yorktown NY, heading towards Mahopac. I need to talk to you. :drool:

Cool! Go for it!

Just remember that the SGT has a 4.6L-3V with 9.8:1 compression, and the GT 500 is a 5.4L-4V-Eaton supercharged-8.5:1 compression. These apparently minor differences will deliver quite different exhaust sound, I presume that the tone and tenor of the GT 500 you mention is with a custom exhaust, and that will be more appealing to the "old school" market. My "muffler delete" on my SGT works this magic for me.

Happy hunting, be safe.

I think I found him. These were the mufflers.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_...rtKeyField=7707

GTA's to Borla vid

Cool! Go for it!

Just remember that the SGT has a 4.6L-3V with 9.8:1 compression, and the GT 500 is a 5.4L-4V-Eaton supercharged-8.5:1 compression. These apparently minor differences will deliver quite different exhaust sound, I presume that the tone and tenor of the GT 500 you mention is with a custom exhaust, and that will be more appealing to the "old school" market. My "muffler delete" on my SGT works this magic for me.

Happy hunting, be safe.

I like the sound of the Stock exhaust, I would not mind a little bit louder, but the stock sounds close to perfect. Much better than stock, that is for sure.

On another note, if you are close to a Roush dealer go listen to the Roush Off-road exhaust, it sounds awesome. It is stock on the 427R.

I guess what Im asking is this. I have the Boom Tubes on right now and they just are not loud enough. I know the deletes are louder, as a matter of fact I am going to take them off tomorrow and either return them or sell them. But do you think the Ford Racing 5230-5GT's are louder than the Boom Tubes?

I know it's just a video but this video sound without the mufflers is what I want.

Same as the Borla stingers they will drone...

I guess what Im asking is this. I have the Boom Tubes on right now and they just are not loud enough. I know the deletes are louder, as a matter of fact I am going to take them off tomorrow and either return them or sell them. But do you think the Ford Racing 5230-5GT's are louder than the Boom Tubes?

I know it's just a video but this video sound without the mufflers is what I want.

Get off the fence, Scotty, K? Go for the "muffler delete" option and if it's not what you want, back up from there? There are a dozen muffler options on the market, stop shopping until you focus on what you want to hear?

No mufflers at all would be the place to start (and this is not an EPA violation), and if MDs are too loud for your ears, just step back up the path as your hearing allows?

Somehow (and for some crazy reason), I don't think you will be stepping back much, and for any length of time.

LuLu,

Good point. But which MD's. SLP's, Pypes? Do they change the sound of nothing at all?

Get off the fence, Scotty, K? Go for the "muffler delete" option and if it's not what you want, back up from there? There are a dozen muffler options on the market, stop shopping until you focus on what you want to hear?

No mufflers at all would be the place to start (and this is not an EPA violation), and if MDs are too loud for your ears, just step back up the path as your hearing allows?

Somehow (and for some crazy reason), I don't think you will be stepping back much, and for any length of time.

Archived