TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2007-2009 Shelby GT500 TSB #08-16-4: Clutch Drag.

Staff

My parts are on order but are coming from the vendors. So I could still be 10 to 14 days out.

The only part that should be shipping from the vendor is the trans kit (input shaft, syncros, & seal). The rest of the stuff should be in stock at Dearborn, MI and arrive in 3-4 days shipping time.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My parts are on order but are coming from the vendors. So I could still be 10 to 14 days out. :lurk:

Shelby111,

My understanding on the 1 yr/12k mi issue is that this pertains to parts that are considered normal maintenance items; such as brake pads & rotors AND clutch plates on manual tranny's. But the TSB specifically states that this is a flywheel issue that has affected the clutch.

My car is 21 months old and is being covered under waranty for this TSB and for the rear end clutch pack TSB.

That makes sense. I have car dealer trust issues.

Do you think that if they perform the work there is much of a chance that they will examine the flywheel and say, "Flywheel is good. Therefore it was just a normal wear and tear clutch issue. You have to pay for the job."? Or are the dealer shops required to determine if it is covered by warantee before they do the work? I don't want to hear them save, "We will take it apart but if we find that the flywheel is not broken, it will not be covered by the warantee." I know I tend to over think these situations but playing out all the scenarios in my head before I get to the dealer will help me make better choices.

That makes sense. I have car dealer trust issues.

Do you think that if they perform the work there is much of a chance that they will examine the flywheel and say, "Flywheel is good. Therefore it was just a normal wear and tear clutch issue. You have to pay for the job."? Or are the dealer shops required to determine if it is covered by warantee before they do the work? I don't want to hear them save, "We will take it apart but if we find that the flywheel is not broken, it will not be covered by the warantee." I know I tend to over think these situations but playing out all the scenarios in my head before I get to the dealer will help me make better choices.

This problem has now been playing out for a year. First it was the "no lube on the input shaft" during production. Then the tranny input shaft got enhanced. Then the clutch hub got enhanced. Now the flywheel is totally different.

The TSB orders all the parts needed to correct all 3 issues that I just mentioned above, plus replace syncros that may of been damaged. When your dealer determines that you have a symptom that is listed in the TSB, they will order the TSB and they will install it.

Don't sweat it.

This problem has now been playing out for a year. First it was the "no lube on the input shaft" during production. Then the tranny input shaft got enhanced. Then the clutch hub got enhanced. Now the flywheel is totally different.

The TSB orders all the parts needed to correct all 3 issues that I just mentioned above, plus replace syncros that may of been damaged. When your dealer determines that you have a symptom that is listed in the TSB, they will order the TSB and they will install it.

Don't sweat it.

Thanks Grabber. I have faith in your advice and I'm certain that your efforts to get owners to report their trans problems had an impact on Ford finally fixing the problems.

Thanks Grabber. I have faith in your advice and I'm certain that your efforts to get owners to report their trans problems had an impact on Ford finally fixing the problems.

This problem with the clutch hit our public forum months before I took delivery of my car in March 2007. I remember reading about a half dozen clutch failures before I got my car. The problem just seemed to keep growing, and now we can see that all 3 model years are affected.

If you don't have problems yet, just remember that YET stands for Your Eligible Too.

This problem with the clutch hit our public forum months before I took delivery of my car in March 2007. I remember reading about a half dozen clutch failures before I got my car. The problem just seemed to keep growing, and now we can see that all 3 model years are affected.

If you don't have problems yet, just remember that YET stands for Your Eligible Too.

So this is no longer a 2007-model-year-only issue? It applies to all years? I took delivery of my 2007 gt500 back in june of '07, and it was probably one of the last cars to be built without the lube on the input shaft of the transmission. I keep waiting to see issues, but the car still shifts and moves just fine. If it was going to brick, I wish it would do it sooner rather than later.

:(

So this is no longer a 2007-model-year-only issue? It applies to all years? I took delivery of my 2007 gt500 back in june of '07, and it was probably one of the last cars to be built without the lube on the input shaft of the transmission. I keep waiting to see issues, but the car still shifts and moves just fine. If it was going to brick, I wish it would do it sooner rather than later.

Have you read the TSB?

GT500_Clutch_drag_TSB_08_16_04.pdf

It's all 3 years, 2007 to 2009. The lubricant issue is just 1 part of the entire problem, as you can see in the TSB parts list.

PART NUMBER PART NAME

7R3Z-6375-B Flywheel Kit

7R3Z-7L596-A Clutch Kit

7R3Z-7C391-A Trans Kit

XG-8 Motorcraft® PTFE Lubricant

XT-5-QM Motorcraft® MERCON V-Transmission Fluid

PM-1-C Motorcraft® High Performance DOT 3 Motor Vehicle Brake Fluid

XG-1-C Motorcraft® Premium Long-Life Grease

TA-30 Motorcraft® Silicone Gasket and Sealant

TA-25 Motorcraft® Threadlock and Sealer

F6ZZ-7600-A Pilot Bearing

1R3Z-7052-AA Transmission Input Shaft Oil Seal

My 08 makes this wonderful sound when idling in neutral...it's a 10/07 build...taking it in for TSB this week. I was hoping I'd get skipped having an 08...oh well...I guess I'll make lemonade and have the dealer install the KR shifter. :yahoo:

I took delivery of my 2007 gt500 back in june of '07, and it was probably one of the last cars to be built without the lube on the input shaft of the transmission. I keep waiting to see issues, but the car still shifts and moves just fine. If it was going to brick, I wish it would do it sooner rather than later.

I'm in the same boat as you mark - June 07 build of a Black 2007 vert. No issues that I can tell (at least doing the infamous Grabber clutch test), but I'll be lined up to do it soon just in case. I don't want to take a chance.

Thanks for all your help Grabber - and a BIG THANKS to Bill W's help with all this too!! We all appreciate your efforts on this. :happy feet:

Your parts have been in for over 2 weeks. Why are you waiting so long to have them installed?

Honestly, I haven't had a chance to take it down as the parts came in the same week my car first went into the body shop, and then a couple days after the car was done I had to go out of town and they couldn't fit me in to do the install. It should be done this coming week, schedule permitting. I've also been sick as hell due to a wicked sinus infection, so its just been a bad luck run. Just murphy's law...hopefully I can meet this murphy guy some day so I can kick his ass. :(

I think it's time to bring mine in. Going into first, first to second and second to third feal like I'm pushing something out of the way to get it in gear. When I started it up yesterday, there was a wine for about the first 30 seconds. Sounded just like the sound clip Grabber posted in the clutch and tranny thread.

The only part that should be shipping from the vendor is the trans kit (input shaft, syncros, & seal). The rest of the stuff should be in stock at Dearborn, MI and arrive in 3-4 days shipping time.

Grabber

those who with the updated tranny with the polished input shaft should only need the new flywheel and clutch assembly ..... correct ?

Right now my clutch/transmission set up has never shifted better ..... so would one want to go back in and install the new updated flywheel ?

Grabber

those who with the updated tranny with the polished input shaft should only need the new flywheel and clutch assembly ..... correct ?

Right now my clutch/transmission set up has never shifted better ..... so would one want to go back in and install the new updated flywheel ?

If you are not grinding, dragging or hissing, you just need the clutch and flywheel and pilot bearing replaced and not the transmission re-build kit. Are you having any clutch chatter?

If you don't do stop and go driving with your car, you *may* not need the updated flywheel.

If you don't have any symptoms, then a dealership will most likely not be able to help you. Also due to Ford's warranty guiedlines, they may want the old parts sent back, so piece mealing the TSB could present a problem.

Remember this is a TSB, not a recall. The key words in the TSB are "may" and "some".

A TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) is a document to tells the technician how to repair a car that shows up to the dealership with a mechanical problem.

No problem = No repair.

.....again, this is not a recall.

i had the second gear grind problem on my 08 also. The dealer got me the new tranny, flywhee, clutch upgrade. it is currently being install rite now, i spoke with them friday and they said my pilot bearing was not even there anymore it had completely worn out. I will be picking the car up wedn and i will all or you know how it does.

i had the second gear grind problem on my 08 also. The dealer got me the new tranny, flywhee, clutch upgrade. it is currently being install rite now, i spoke with them friday and they said my pilot bearing was not even there anymore it had completely worn out. I will be picking the car up wedn and i will all or you know how it does.

Are you saying that your dealer ordered a totally new Tranny, or are they doing the upgrade per the TSB and replacing the syncros and input shaft?

I am on my second clutch & throwout bearing assy. When these parts were replaced before, they also resurfaced my original flywheel. I currently have a tad over 12k miles. I have always had the hissing noise noise with clutch depressed. I had previously dealt with Bill W. Who now should be contacted? Last time , I had my repair completed within 48hrs. I would like to repeat this process if possible.

I am on my second clutch & throwout bearing assy. When these parts were replaced before, they also resurfaced my original flywheel. I currently have a tad over 12k miles. I have always had the hissing noise noise with clutch depressed. I had previously dealt with Bill W. Who now should be contacted? Last time , I had my repair completed within 48hrs. I would like to repeat this process if possible.

Tony,

I told the Master Tech you would be in to see him.

Call me later, I'm on my way to Church and will be available to chat after 1:30 today.

If you are not grinding, dragging or hissing, you just need the clutch and flywheel and pilot bearing replaced and not the transmission re-build kit. Are you having any clutch chatter?

Grabber,

I read the TSB and it doesn't mention clutch chatter, but my '08 has it BAD. I installed J&M UCA and LCAs-no noticeable help. You mentioned clutch chatter in your previous post--do you think the TSB would cover that? Seems logical to me that a warped flywheel could easily cause clutch chatter as it engages.

Thanks in advance for your opinion.

Regards,

Mark

How many miles are on your car? Mine's a daily driver with just under 7,000 miles. Other than the "normal" clutch chatter, the only problem I have is grinding going into second gear when I get on it hard. I was trying to advoid going into the dealer for this; but hearing about your pilot bearing may change my mind.

Grabber,

I read the TSB and it doesn't mention clutch chatter, but my '08 has it BAD. I installed J&M UCA and LCAs-no noticeable help. You mentioned clutch chatter in your previous post--do you think the TSB would cover that? Seems logical to me that a warped flywheel could easily cause clutch chatter as it engages.

Thanks in advance for your opinion.

Regards,

Mark

It's hard for me to say what your dealer will cover. If you have a Master Tech that has worked on GT500's and knows about the problems with this car, he will make the decision after close evaluation.

IMO a warped flywheel will cause an uneven clutch engagement.....Chatter.

What other new car have you ever heard of that the clutch should Chatter and that would be normal? I had a long discussion about this with Son of GT the other day on the phone and we both laughed. :hysterical:

my car had 1700 miles on it when it started it. I have made several wide open throttle upshifts in it and done alot of street racing also so it has not been babied either. At first the dealer did not kno they had upgrades for it until i had Travis a Difeo Ford call them and give them the info to fix it. Then they contacted SVT and they give them all the part numbers and info needed to fix it. They ordered a complete new tranny that is supposed to have the upgraded input shaft and all the rest. Also new flywheel and clutch. The dealer said all the part number were all diff from factory ones. I guess i will see come wednesday

my car had 1700 miles on it when it started it. I have made several wide open throttle upshifts in it and done alot of street racing also so it has not been babied either. At first the dealer did not kno they had upgrades for it until i had Travis a Difeo Ford call them and give them the info to fix it. Then they contacted SVT and they give them all the part numbers and info needed to fix it. They ordered a complete new tranny that is supposed to have the upgraded input shaft and all the rest. Also new flywheel and clutch. The dealer said all the part number were all diff from factory ones. I guess i will see come wednesday

Ford is keeping the costs down by rebuilding the existing trannys with a syncro kit and new input shaft. Do let us know how your repair ends up.

This week end I was reading over the WSM sections that are called out in the TSB in regards to the installation of the Trans Kit and input shaft, and pilot bearing for the GT500.

The WSM call out the use of 13 “special” tools.

4 special tools to disassemble the transmission case.

7 special tools to re-install the syncros.

1 special tool to re-install a new input shaft.

1 special tool to pull the pilot bearing from the crankshaft.

I have part numbers and pic's of these tools. I going down to my dealers shop to drop the list off to see if they have these tools on hand. Many of the part numbers are old ones and have been around for years.

If you don't do stop and go driving with your car, you *may* not need the updated flywheel.

If you don't have any symptoms, then a dealership will most likely not be able to help you. Also due to Ford's warranty guiedlines, they may want the old parts sent back, so piece mealing the TSB could present a problem.

Remember this is a TSB, not a recall. The key words in the TSB are "may" and "some".

A TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) is a document to tells the technician how to repair a car that shows up to the dealership with a mechanical problem.

No problem = No repair.

.....again, this is not a recall.

I don't know if I have an issue here or not. Maybe you guys can help, especially Grabber. The only thing I have noticed is between 1st and 2nd gear. I definitely have the hiss noise, but what is really obvious is with the clutch engaged there is a scrapeing/grinding feeling at the shifter. If it moved just a little side to side , the grinding worsens but it is there even without movement. All of this is audible as well. This was all present from the day I got it. My car is an 08' i got in April. It has 2000 miles on it now. I actually complained and brought it in at about 300miles and rode with the tech. He said it was normal. My faith in these guys is marginal at best. This is not an issue in any other gear. Does this sound normal or possibly this flywheel issue. Any input is appreciated.

I don't know if I have an issue here or not. Maybe you guys can help, especially Grabber. The only thing I have noticed is between 1st and 2nd gear. I definitely have the hiss noise, but what is really obvious is with the clutch engaged there is a scrapeing/grinding feeling at the shifter. If it moved just a little side to side , the grinding worsens but it is there even without movement. All of this is audible as well. This was all present from the day I got it. My car is an 08' i got in April. It has 2000 miles on it now. I actually complained and brought it in at about 300miles and rode with the tech. He said it was normal. My faith in these guys is marginal at best. This is not an issue in any other gear. Does this sound normal or possibly this flywheel issue. Any input is appreciated.

drswiger, what part of Louisiana are you from?

It turns out that this thread that I started last year is one of the tests that is done to determine if you have the 'Hiss" problem, and my diagnosis was spot on.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...st&p=224327

If you have what I describe in this thread, and your gears have syncro bump inbetween shifts, you need the TSB work done to your car IMO.

I have it and Ford documented it in their computer system on my cars VIN #. Now I need to call up the service guy I've been working with and talk him into installing a KR shifter for me for free since they have the tranny out anyways. Doubt it, but I'm gonna try!

They put my FRP shifter in no extra charge, you should not be charged.

Have you read the TSB?

It's all 3 years, 2007 to 2009. The lubricant issue is just 1 part of the entire problem, as you can see in the TSB parts list.

PART NUMBER PART NAME

7R3Z-6375-B Flywheel Kit

7R3Z-7L596-A Clutch Kit

7R3Z-7C391-A Trans Kit

XG-8 Motorcraft® PTFE Lubricant

XT-5-QM Motorcraft® MERCON V-Transmission Fluid

PM-1-C Motorcraft® High Performance DOT 3 Motor Vehicle Brake Fluid

XG-1-C Motorcraft® Premium Long-Life Grease

TA-30 Motorcraft® Silicone Gasket and Sealant

TA-25 Motorcraft® Threadlock and Sealer

F6ZZ-7600-A Pilot Bearing

I have the new flywheel ass, but the disk assy clutch is a diffrent number that was installed in my car and yes it gets only city driving, I can get chatter somtimes. but still better than first set up.

1R3Z-7052-AA Transmission Input Shaft Oil Seal

Hans,

the new flywheel was still in design last Jan. when you had your car worked on. You need to double check the flywheel number closely. Here is the new number: 7R3Z-6375-B

Does yours have the B on it ?

Archived