TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Central Florida - Ford Dealer Service / Body Shop Recommendations

Matt N.

I took delivery of a new SGT convertible last month. I love it, but unfortunately it has a few detail issues that need to be corrected by a Ford dealer. Complete hood pin set replacement (due to some funny business that went on at the selling dealer) and removal and replacement of the hood stripes (wrinkles due to improper installation)... I'm also missing my Shelby mats. Ford Performance Group / Shelby Warranty is covering the stripes and the selling dealer will purchase the new hood pin set and mats under agreement with Shelby.

I bought the car in Clearwater, FL (about 80 miles from my home), but would prefer to have it repaired at a closer dealer if I can find an excellent shop that someone's had personal experience with paint and/or body / detail work. I live in Central Florida... about 30 miles southwest of Orlando. Has anyone had any detail work done or experience with Ford dealers in Orlando or Lakeland area?

After visiting the body shop at the dealer a few miles from my home, I would prefer not to take it there. Dealer in my town isn't a Shelby / SVT dealer and mostly deals with pickups... and their body shop appears to be a small pole barn at the back of the sales lot. I also don't want to drive it 160 miles (round trip) to the dealer I purchased it from either. This car is not a daily driver (mostly sits in the garage right now) and I'm trying to keep low miles on it. I asked the selling dealer if they would be willing to flatbed the car round trip since one of the main reasons for the visit isn't a warranty issue, but because someone at the dealer (they tell me under previous ownership) swapped out my hood pins and mats... They didn't make me aware of this prior to delivery either.... sales person and current GM said they didn't know anything wasn't correct on the car until I questioned the correctness of the hood pins and mats. The salesperson said he checked with the GM and they suggest I have taken care of locally if I want to keep the miles off. Not the answer I was looking for from the selling dealer since I'm sitting on Ford's customer satisfaction survey that just arrived in the mail. I hoped they would want to take care of it themselves and either offer to flatbed / trailer it over or put me up in a hotel for the weekend over there and give me a loaner while repairs are completed.

Anyway, please let me know if you have experience (service / detail / bodyshops) with Ford dealers in Central Florida that you would be willing to trust your own Shelby with...

Thanks!

- Matt

Congrats on your fine choice!

A short drive will lead you to Tampa Bay Shelby. I think several members have had work done there and they are an authorized Shelby dealer, (though not certified for aftermarket add-ons like Tasca).

There are several members in your area that will probably hop on here and offer suggestions.

Sam

AKA:

Congrats on your fine choice!

A short drive will lead you to Tampa Bay Shelby. I think several members have had work done there and they are an authorized Shelby dealer, (though not certified for aftermarket add-ons like Tasca).

There are several members in your area that will probably hop on here and offer suggestions.

Sam

AKA:

I agree 100%...go them, Tampa Bay Shelby, it will be a nice time getting to know your SGT and you'll enjoy the looks,the pics,the thumbs up,the smiles...well, you get the idea. Listen, take it to someone who will be doing the right job and treat your car as it should be treated, it's not worth it saving a few miles to have a crappy job performed on your baby!!!!! Congrats by the way, another FL SGT!!!!! :happy feet:

When they fixed my stripes the only place was hour and half away and Ford Racing approved a enclosed trailer to have my car shipped to the repair shop. Ask the dealer to call Ford racing also there number is in your Shelby info book! Good luck!!! :happy feet: :shift:

When they fixed my stripes the only place was hour and half away and Ford Racing approved a enclosed trailer to have my car shipped to the repair shop. Ask the dealer to call Ford racing also there number is in your Shelby info book! Good luck!!! :happy feet: :shift:

I guess I didn't think of asking the rep I spoke with at Ford's Performance Group (the number in the back of our SGT supplement) to pay for the transport. Dealer said they wouldn't do it. I wouldn't mind having it repaired at the selling dealer, except for the fact that it's another 200 miles (round trip) showing on the odometer. They were otherwise fine with the Sales experience (the F&I guy was torture... but they are everywhere) and their facilities were very clean. I think they had some Ford awards and they were also a Saleen dealer.

Thanks 2007_Shelby_GT & FordRocks1 for the suggestions for Tampa Bay Shelby. While they're a Shelby dealer, they aren't a Ford dealer... doesn't bug me, but I'm not sure if Ford's Performance Group (Shelby / SVT warranty folks) would authorize repairs there. I drove by there when I was in the Tampa / St Pete area (I think they're in Pinellas Park) to pick up my car last month, but they were closed for the day.

Yeah, unless someone tells me there's a fantastic dealer closer to Winter Haven, I might just get it done over in Clearwater and make it a weekend at the beach again in Tampa / St Pete / Clearwater. There's definitely worse things in life than driving to the beach and putting 200 miles on your new convertible that's incredibly fun to drive. It's just the principle of the thing (shouldn't have to do this in the first place), but I know... :violin: ... keep it in perspective, right?

Thanks,

Matt

I guess I didn't think of asking the rep I spoke with at Ford's Performance Group (the number in the back of our SGT supplement) to pay for the transport. Dealer said they wouldn't do it. I wouldn't mind having it repaired at the selling dealer, except for the fact that it's another 200 miles (round trip) showing on the odometer. They were otherwise fine with the Sales experience (the F&I guy was torture... but they are everywhere) and their facilities were very clean. I think they had some Ford awards and they were also a Saleen dealer.

Thanks 2007_Shelby_GT & FordRocks1 for the suggestions for Tampa Bay Shelby. While they're a Shelby dealer, they aren't a Ford dealer... doesn't bug me, but I'm not sure if Ford's Performance Group (Shelby / SVT warranty folks) would authorize repairs there. I drove by there when I was in the Tampa / St Pete area (I think they're in Pinellas Park) to pick up my car last month, but they were closed for the day.

Yeah, unless someone tells me there's a fantastic dealer closer to Winter Haven, I might just get it done over in Clearwater and make it a weekend at the beach again in Tampa / St Pete / Clearwater. There's definitely worse things in life than driving to the beach and putting 200 miles on your new convertible that's incredibly fun to drive. It's just the principle of the thing (shouldn't have to do this in the first place), but I know... :violin: ... keep it in perspective, right?

Thanks,

Matt

Why worry about putting miles on the car??? It isn't like it's going to be a "Classic" or a "Collector Car" any time in the near future...Heck, I put over 4,000 miles on my car back in June when my wife and I took our 2008 SGT from Odessa, TX all the way to Key West, FL and back! Even stopped in to visit Chris and his local club there in Miami! And we had a BLAST!!!! Miles don't hurt the car at all!!! Drive her, get to know her...she was meant to be driven, not stuck in some garage somewhere like a forgotten trophy!!!!

Archived