TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Project complete

Another pending project completed.

Solved the clearance issues. A significant upgrade from the factory aux. pulleys. Not that difficult to complete. And they are rebuildable. You will notice also that I did install the tensioner support brace to prevent the tensioner from "walking" during high boost runs.

During the process I did identify another potential weak link in the system. The lower pulley is made of plastic! But a 91 SVT Cobra has the same pulley in steel. Time to go to the Ford parts department.

Anyone running boost should really consider this upgrade. After inspecting the inside bearings of the factory pulleys I could see it was not going to be long before they would give. There were cracks already forming in the bearing insulation.

Now to clean up the crank damper! YUCK!!!!!

The before:

Pulleyinstallation002.jpg

The after:

FinalPulleyInstallation005.jpg

Pulleyinstallation001.jpg

FinalPulleyInstallation002.jpg

Hi Roger,

Is this issue unique to the Whipple, do you know? Now that it looks like I will have a car back soon, I have to pay attention to these kinds of posts.

Hope you are almost recovered from the second spider attack.

Jim

Hi Roger,

Is this issue unique to the Whipple, do you know? Now that it looks like I will have a car back soon, I have to pay attention to these kinds of posts.

Hope you are almost recovered from the second spider attack.

Jim

Jim,

I'm not sure. I do know of 3 Whipple SC'ed cars that have squeeling pulleys. This is the fix. Even though the 03-04 Cobra's were made for boost I did have to replace 2 pulleys under warranty. I gave up after the second set and installed a similar set and the problem never returned. I would think that the tensioner brace should be a given on any boosted car. They are standard equipment on every Saleen SC'ed car. And produced by this company. What I like about the pulley setup is they are rebuildable. And they look pretty cool too!

Almost recovered Jim, thanks for asking. I'll touch base this week.

Roger

I was just abou to say "my bad" <lol> than I looked again and it seems to have a 6-rib in the enlarged pic tho :shrug:

You know, you'd think after all the spider attacks that Roger has experienced lately, his eyesight would be better than that! LOL :hysterical:

Jim,

I'm not sure. I do know of 3 Whipple SC'ed cars that have squeeling pulleys. This is the fix. Even though the 03-04 Cobra's were made for boost I did have to replace 2 pulleys under warranty. I gave up after the second set and installed a similar set and the problem never returned. I would think that the tensioner brace should be a given on any boosted car. They are standard equipment on every Saleen SC'ed car. And produced by this company. What I like about the pulley setup is they are rebuildable. And they look pretty cool too!

Almost recovered Jim, thanks for asking. I'll touch base this week.

Roger

Is anyone having problems with the Paxton SC?

It is not a SC design issue but a factory pulley issue. With 2,100 miles on them the bearing insulation was cracking. I would assume from heat build up. They just do not seem to take boost very well on the 4.6. At least in my case. It could be just a roots type SC issue. This would eliminate the Paxton. My pulleys just started sqeeling and I chose to replace them with high quality units. Now I will have one less item to worry about.

Roger

Archived