TEAM SHELBY FORUM

More photos of mine

Grabber

I remember when he crashed ...so sad.

Dick Rutan must be Burt Rutan's brother -- I knew Dick was a test pilot and his brother, Burt, was a 'founding' member of Boeing's legendary 'skunkworks' and is a renouned aircraft designer.

I think Burt also designed Voyager -- the first nonstop non-refueled flight around the world, and I think Dick flew it with Jeana Yeager (not related to Chuck Yeager, I think, legendary test pilot who test-flew the Bell X-1 with a broken arm ...the first US supersonic jet aircraft<?>).

Burt also designed the Gossamer Albatross (back 15 years or so?) which was the first human-powered flight to cross the English Channel(?) and I think Burt was also the genius behind the X-prize-winning SpaceShipOne a couple years ago -- the first sucessful private venture into earth orbit. Don't know if Dick was also inolved in that project but I would think so.

Burt Rutan is just amazing! I dind't know (until your post) that Dick also designed planes -- gotta be some DNA thing going on with the Rutans -- Amazing!

I remember when he crashed ...so sad.

Dick Rutan must be Burt Rutan's brother -- I knew Dick was a test pilot and his brother, Burt, was a 'founding' member of Boeing's legendary 'skunkworks' and is a renouned aircraft designer.

I think Burt also designed Voyager -- the first nonstop non-refueled flight around the world, and I think Dick flew it with Jeana Yeager (not related to Chuck Yeager, I think, legendary test pilot who test-flew the Bell X-1 with a broken arm ...the first US supersonic jet aircraft<?>).

Burt also designed the Gossamer Albatross (back 15 years or so?) which was the first human-powered flight to cross the English Channel(?) and I think Burt was also the genius behind the X-prize-winning SpaceShipOne a couple years ago -- the first sucessful private venture into earth orbit. Don't know if Dick was also inolved in that project but I would think so.

Burt Rutan is just amazing! I dind't know (until your post) that Dick also designed planes -- gotta be some DNA thing going on with the Rutans -- Amazing!

It was a joint effort....a family thing. Burt is actually credited with the original design. LongEZ, VariEZ, etc were all variants of the design. Dick was not only instrumental in design but long range flights in them (as well as some other famous air and LTA-craft, as you mentioned).

http://www.dickrutan.com/page4.html

bj

Regardless of his aptitude as a pilot - or his political views - he still made some good music that kept me from getting too homesick on the road - Driving down Snowshoe Mountain in Pa on I-80 in the winter - with snow building up - and having to hold on to 40 tons of steel - his lyrics gave me some comfort.

"....radio reminds me of my home far away/driving down the road I get a feelin' that I should have been home yesterday -- yesterday...."

Thanks - John.

Very classy, by the way, calling him an idiot. Very classy. Good form. :censored:

Archived