TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Show us your stripes!

RogerS

Ok Grabber, now I am really starting to get worried about you! What, no CSM no. on that bad boy...come on.... :dance:

I will check and get back to you soon.

Today I took my GO out for a spin. It did not rain so it was a good day for it. :happy feet:

HoodStrutFenderbrackets013-1.jpg

HoodStrutFenderbrackets014.jpg

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If the offer is still on the table I'd be interested in the silver stripes. I think the

stripes add to the factory stripes nicely. CSM #08-1928. Don

Well, I only ordered red, white and yellow. I wasn't able to get the 3M because they were out of stock in cardinal red and sunflower yellow. So they recommended FDC brand (manufactured by 3M), which is a 9 year outdoor grade (the 3M is 6-7 year) and it's a little thicker, which I wasn't too crazy about. But they promise the color is identical. We'll see about that.

I suppose if these three colors work out, I'll pick up some other colors like silver and reflective chrome.

My equipment comes in on Tuesday, so that's when I'll make some samples and send them out to a few of you's. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Well thanks to Roger, I went and did it! Managed to get two sets (8 stripes) and 1 spare for 10 bucks! I laid out and installed them in less than an hour. Here's an indoor shot:

stripes.jpg

I used the center of the front wheel and the extreme front of the hood scoop to establish the angle for the central stripe, (nothing but a piece of string and a plumb-bob!), laid in a 1" painter's tape guide, and slapped them on! Nothing to it!

Roger - The 3m ScotchCal "Silver" is just a smidge darker than the main stripes, but you can't even tell unless you're really looking! Thanks for the info!

Sam

AKA:

This is for you Roger,

Fender stripes the hard way!!!

When I brought my 07SGT/SC1210 back from SAI last October I noticed a small coolant leak. I didn't want it to get worse and couldn't find the source so I called a good friend that has a roll back tow truck to tow me to the local Ford garage. Because our cars sit so close to the ground the car had to be pulled up backward and a set of ramps had to be used to decrease the roll bed angle. After the car was on the bed my friend started to raise the roll bed. Some how there was enough down force on the ramps that when the roll bed cleared the ramps they jumped 8-10 feet into the air and one of the ramps decieded to land on the driverside front fender causing two small dents. After my friend and I stopped crying we took the car to the body shop for repairs. The fender had to be re-painted after the repair and the Shelby GT/SC side stripe had to be replaced. (Bud was nice enough to send it over night) The Ford Body Shop manager felt so bad that he gave me the unused side stripes that went on the passenger door. I brought them home and with your tips/help I installed my fender strips. They look great.

Thanks for the cool Idea Roger,

Red Diver (Don)

Roger,

Ya know, the more I think about it, you REALLY need to put a spider graphic SOMEWHERE on your Shelby. Something small and tasteful, perhaps right next to your CSM number on the bumper, or maybe a red hourglass next to the faux gas cap!

(Maybe even hub-caps with your avatar - :hysterical: )

Thanks for all you do for us!

Sam

AKA:

Roger,

Ya know, the more I think about it, you REALLY need to put a spider graphic SOMEWHERE on your Shelby. Something small and tasteful, perhaps right next to your CSM number on the bumper, or maybe a red hourglass next to the faux gas cap!

(Maybe even hub-caps with your avatar - :hysterical: )

Thanks for all you do for us!

Sam

Sam - That made me actually laugh out loud at the airport while waiting on my flight. Another suggestion might be on the inside of the windshield near the A-pillar with the avatar graphic put onto some cling vinyl.

Roger: Good to see ya back in the forums on a regular basis. And thank you for this excellent idea. I still get asked why I have a Ferrari emblem on my fender. . . . and I get even stranger responses when I tell them it's Lucipher and it's a jack rabbit!

Sam - That made me actually laugh out loud at the airport while waiting on my flight. Another suggestion might be on the inside of the windshield near the A-pillar with the avatar graphic put onto some cling vinyl.

Roger: Good to see ya back in the forums on a regular basis. And thank you for this excellent idea. I still get asked why I have a Ferrari emblem on my fender. . . . and I get even stranger responses when I tell them it's Lucipher and it's a bunny!

Maybe he's getting one of those remote controlled Tarantulas for Christmas?

With all of this Terlingua stuff, my signature is starting to look a lot better! Maybe I need to think about ordering a new Terlingua Mustang with the tag "DVLBNNY"!

I've got one of the black windbreakers with the giant yellow Lucifer on the back - people keep asking me if it's the rabbit from Monty Python's Holy Grail movie!! :hysterical:

Sam

AKA:

Nicely done guys!

Sam, you are too funny. Good idea though........:lol: you know I'm all about ideas.....

Trevor, not really back on a regular basis. But I do check in almost every day.

Happy and Safe holidays everyone!

Roger

did my fender stripes today. I love the look

Thanks for the forum to help with how to do it.

They are RED just in case the color does not show to match the red in the FENDER Badge. Silver is next

Very nice job bigtv! Welcome to the club!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Well, I put silver pit stripes on last night. I know..I know pics..They look really good from a distance but, I wound up with a bunch of small bubbles. Think they will come out once it is in the sunlight and it gets warmer? The highes are still in the 40's. I tried putting them on "wet" at first and then "dry"...the result was the same. I tried a hair dryer and that made the bubbles worse.

In the early days of FIA and SCCA, team cars would be painted similar colors. The fender stripes were a means of identification when the cars would be zipping down the front straight at over 120 MPH. This was prior to 2-way radio communication and when the pit crew would stand at the front straight wall and hold up signs to notify drivers of their positon, lap times or to pit etc.

I have recently found out when the quesion was asked to Carroll as to why the stripes were painted on the early Cobra's his reply was to know what car it was and who was driving. That's it. Everyone has there own theory, but as you can see it was just that simple.

Just an early nostalgic touch brought back to the "new gen" Shelby's. Some like it some don't. You have to admit, they do make that front fender "jump out" at you. And set at that angle it gives the perception of speed.

Roger

Isn't that why they put numbers on the cars? for identification?

Well, I put silver pit stripes on last night. I know..I know pics..They look really good from a distance but, I wound up with a bunch of small bubbles. Think they will come out once it is in the sunlight and it gets warmer? The highes are still in the 40's. I tried putting them on "wet" at first and then "dry"...the result was the same. I tried a hair dryer and that made the bubbles worse.

Take a pin or exacto knife and pop them and smooth them. If I got too agressive with out popping them, I tore the stripe, if I tried to let them work them selves out in the sun or gentlely massage them in the sun nothing happened and them I eventually poped them but the vinyl had taken a set. YMMV

But imagine having 3 virtually identical Cobras... All painted blue... And all 3 with white meatballs with consecutive numbers (96, 97, 98)...

0001-4519.jpg

And for me, I just wanted to be able to pick my car out from the crowd (other plain white Shelby GTs)...

Drive Safe!

07SGT0547

And for me, I just wanted to be able to pick my car out from the crowd (other plain white Shelby GTs)...

Yeah, Me to and I like green : ) This way we can tell who's in front and who was drinken the nite before : )

MMMM pan cakes..........

Yeah, Me to and I like green : ) This way we can tell who's in front and who was drinken the nite before : )

MMMM pan cakes..........

Hey Mike!

I only picked RED, because there were no other white SGTs with them on at the time... And I do like the GREEN you have chosen :drool:

But if you are really in the mood for pancakes, make your way to Hermann, MO (Shelby Fest 2009) over the last weekend in April... I'm buying breakfast :lurk:

Or even better, get to Tulsa, OK for the Mid-America Meet... Talk about a good time on the track :shift:

Gregg

Gregg, We're not gonna make it to Hermann, you gonna be throwin pancakes at Tulsa?

Chris

Not at Tulsa (this year)... But Jim Wicks did ask me some "questions" about our company when we were out at SAI in January... However, I am set for the Sonic Cruise on Thursday Night, Open Track all day (w/new brakes & tires) Friday, Drag Strip (not running my car) on Saturday, Banquet Tix on Sat Night, and then taking ALL KINDS of pictures at the car show on Sunday...

Wife and I are staying with friends from KC at a small B&B just North of the Marriott... This will be my 3rd year in a row... Took my 2007 SGT down in '07 with only 500 miles on it... And have been "hooked" ever since :shift:

Gregg

07SGT0547

Well yes but, if you look at the photo above 3 team cars all the same color and consecutive numbers flying past the pits at over 100 MPH, guess the different stripe color and configuration helped identify them.

Roger

Archived