TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Show us your stripes!

RogerS

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here is a picture of my Vapor GT500 with yellow fender stripes that I just put on. I will get a full shot later. I think the yellow looks real good on the Vapor. Thanks for the suggestion Roger.

Steve

Very nice !!

Welcome to the club. :happy feet:

DUDE THAT IS ONE AWESOME PHOTO, , what are the measurement stats for correct placement of the stripes on the fender, thanks

Here is a link to the post where Roger (rosssvt) explains how he applied his: http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...st&p=425373

Roger has also put together instructions for those who bought stripes from him, you may want to PM him and ask if he can send or post a pdf file with the instructions.

Don

There is no "proper placement" pers say. It's more personal preference. Generally speaking Roger and a few others (including myself) have used the center of the front wheel cap as the guide for centering the 1" stripe gap for the bottom edge of the 2" stripes (where they end at the wheel wheel).

On the top side (where the stripes meet the hood seam), I used those rubber bumpers inside the hood to center my stripe gap on. The bumpers about 3/4" wide so you would be a 1/8" wider on each side of the bumpers. The bumpers are adjustable so if you use this method, make sure they are in the same location on both sides.

I found using the bumpers an easy reference, and it was pretty close to what Roger and others had done.

When I did it, I first used some 1" wide painters tape to mark where the stripe gap would go. I then placed a 2"stripe flush to the painter's tape...using the soapy water and squigy method that Roger recommended to get it in place and get the wrinkles and bubbles out. I then put the 2nd stripe in place using the same method.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...st&id=35412

I too followed basically the same instructions that AFBlue mentioned above. Though I actually used the measurements that Rosssvt put together when he installed his. I got all scientific with it because I'm sorta OCD about that stuff. . . . but that's just me.

Someone asked a question back earlier about what the significance of the color of the stripes is. . . . if you read back on the first few pages of this thread - you'll find that this question was asked a few times. The stripes color was simply used to identify the drivers of several like color scheme painted vehicles on the track. As they flew by at 120mph - the fender stripes made it easier to identify who was who in which car. Some said that the Yellow stripes were for the rookies, and the red stripes were for the experienced driver. . . . I guess THAT part doesn't really matter all that much to me.

Some have gone with colors outside the box - reflective green - blue - flat black - I'm not sure peronally, but to the best of my understanding, back in the 60's there were only white, red and yellow. I may be wrong on that, but I think that basically answeres that question.

Trevor

Just remember that once you put them on....be ready for all the questions! I was at a car show Saturday and all day long people "swarmed" around the car. People were even having their friends stand next to the "pit stripes" and taking their pictures. Finally, I just opened the door and asked if they would like to have a picture while sitting in the car. You should of seen the people in line! Oh, and the 1st place wasn't too bad either....Craig

Here is a picture of my Vapor GT500 with yellow fender stripes that I just put on. I will get a full shot later. I think the yellow looks real good on the Vapor. Thanks for the suggestion Roger.

Steve

I think the yellow looks good. If anyone else has a different color on Vapor, please post a pic. Where is everyone getting the stipres? A sign shop, online, body shop?

............... Where is everyone getting the stipres? A sign shop, online, body shop?

Some of us were able to get the stripes from Roger (ROSSSVT) on here. He's since obtained a new job endeavor which has him busy and unable to answer our call for stripes. He was simply getting them from a vinyl/graphics shop in his area and helping all us out on his own time, from his own kitchen table.

You can go to any graphics / sign shop to inquire, they should have good access to this type of material. A quick call to a body shop to ask them who they use for vinyl graphics could pay off with a vendor to get your stripes from.

The stripes themselves are simply two 2" strips that are approx 17-18" long. When installed properly, you'll have a little bit to work with on the top and bottom which you will want to trim off. The yellow ones that match the Terlingua decals is 3M "Sunflower" The space in the middle of them is the same 1" space between the silver lemans stripes over the top of our Shelby's.

Hope that helps! :)

Trevor

• 2 weeks later...
Some of us were able to get the stripes from Roger (ROSSSVT) on here. He's since obtained a new job endeavor which has him busy and unable to answer our call for stripes. He was simply getting them from a vinyl/graphics shop in his area and helping all us out on his own time, from his own kitchen table.

You can go to any graphics / sign shop to inquire, they should have good access to this type of material. A quick call to a body shop to ask them who they use for vinyl graphics could pay off with a vendor to get your stripes from.

The stripes themselves are simply two 2" strips that are approx 17-18" long. When installed properly, you'll have a little bit to work with on the top and bottom which you will want to trim off. The yellow ones that match the Terlingua decals is 3M "Sunflower" The space in the middle of them is the same 1" space between the silver lemans stripes over the top of our Shelby's.

Hope that helps! :)

Trevor

This is great information! I just bought a vinyl cutter and some 3M vinyl. I only got three colors... red, white and sunflower yellow.

Does anyone have photos of how ROSSSVT was sending them out? And how much were they being sold for?

Once my equipment arrives next week I'd like to send a set or two out to some testers. Anyone looking for some free stripes?

I would be interested in some sunflower yellow ,I have the red on now but doing the terlingua things on car, Let me know, mickey

This was my 4th install and it went perfect.

Practice makes Perfect. :)

Ah yes. The saliva technique. You HAVE done this before!

:hysterical:;)

Archived