TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rat's Ride

ratnacage

Having RPM drop off faster after lifting the throttle is not necessarily a good thing - it sounds cool to hit the throttle and get that whap-ah sound, etc, but the computer may ease RPM down to maintain better oil flow and prolong bearing life.

Ruf and Rat, also wondering if this isn't the equivalent of having the computer manage the 'dashpot' function to further minimize emissions on throtle transitions... just a guess.

-Dan

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dan - God I love it when you use words and terms I'm not familiar with!

Dashpot? I understand what you mean though. How about we ask for better bearings? I want immediate throttle response. And I want it now! :rant:

Do you think John Force has to wait for throttle response?

Engine change, coming up!

Ruf & Rat sounds like a cartoon show!

Dan - God I love it when you use words and terms I'm not familiar with!

Dashpot? I understand what you mean though. How about we ask for better bearings? I want immediate throttle response. And I want it now! :rant:

Engine change, coming up!

Ruf & Rat sounds like a cartoon show!

The dashpot was that little plunger thingie on the side of the carb just under the throttle lever. When you take your foot off the gas it would slow the throttle lever return so the engine didn't instantly go lean* and send NOx soaring. I ripped the sucker off my '74 Capri and my '78 460 4x4 Quadravan, but no emissions check on them (at least not up here).

Yeah, John Force -- ya gotta love him... the very definition of "bull in a china shop" Austin, Bernie...give me throttle response NOW!

This segment of the Ruf & Rat show is brought to you by Dashpot Motors ...where we let you back off slowly :hysterical:

<edit:> * oops, make that "go rich and send hyrdocarbons soaring"

Ruf and Rat

Wheelin' around

Ruf & Rat

GTing 'round town

Flyin' on the hi-way

Flippin' off brand-X

Straightenin' the byways

puttin' out a hex

From Mustang non believers

To ricers it will span

From brand-x non-achievers

To ubiquitous chrome fart-can

The pony car's true blood-line

Will spread across the land

Announcing the command:

ADMs be damned!

(Carnut... just pretend someone's humming "Battlecry of the Republic" quietly in the background <lol>)

:party:

Actually, the answer is, yes. I watched John Force lose on a hole shot :cry:

On the super slow-mo replay they showed a close-up of John's car and the opponent (can't remember who it was - maybe one of the Pedregons?). As the amber's lit up you could see John's butterfly's begin to open before the opponent's, yet the opponent's car launched first.

I think whatever the problem was, they fixed it because John's reaction times have improved since then.

So, Ruf, have you done the exhaust and gear yet?

Dan - I was reading your very cleverly written lyric and was "hearing" it in a rap tune!

Very good, man! You are a man of many talents - you can talk jive with some of us and talk the real deal with the engineers on board here. Good form.

Rat - Yep. Gears and exhaust and everything else has been installed. (today I put on the chrome frames on around the tail lights and 3rd brake light. Also the Pony engine cover. Very slick looking - pics forthcoming).

All that's left (for now) is the side striping job - that's going down on Monday after classes.

(well - the lower stainless grille won't be installed for a week or so - they have to fabricate it)

Bryan

Still waiting for 500 miles so the computer will give me full throttle in 1st. Second and third gears pull very well. :rockon:

Dan - I was reading your very cleverly written lyric and was "hearing" it in a rap tune!

Very good, man! You are a man of many talents - you can talk jive with some of us and talk the real deal with the engineers on board here. Good form.

Rat - Yep. Gears and exhaust and everything else has been installed. (today I put on the chrome frames on around the tail lights and 3rd brake light. Also the Pony engine cover. Very slick looking - pics forthcoming).

All that's left (for now) is the side striping job - that's going down on Monday after classes.

(well - the lower stainless grille won't be installed for a week or so - they have to fabricate it)

Bryan

Still waiting for 500 miles so the computer will give me full throttle in 1st. Second and third gears pull very well. :rockon:

Hey, Bryan, glad you liked it ;) Love you're new avatar -- those wheels rock! Makes me think of the Ford GT sort of. Cool!

Rat, my appologies on the 'ADM' lyric -- I forgot you are a dealer -- oh, well, please accept that as a compliment ;-)

As long as Force didn't have to wait 500 miles -- that'd be, well, like a decade or more!

I heard one of the crew chiefs mention that in a qtr-mile run, a top fuel car motor only turns something like 435 revolutions from launch to lights -- bizarre, right!!!! But makes sense!

Wonder if a Top Fuel powertrain warranty reads like: 4.5 seconds or .25 miles, whatever comes first :hysterical:

-Dan

Ruf and Rat

Wheelin' around

Ruf & Rat

GTing 'round town

Flyin' on the hi-way

Flippin' off brand-X

Straightenin' the byways

puttin' out a hex

To ricers it will span

Announcing the command:

ADMs be damned!

(Carnut... just pretend someone's humming "Battlecry of the Republic" quietly in the background <lol>)

Ruf and Rat

Wheelin' around

Ruf & Rat

GTing 'round town

Flyin' on the hi-way

Flippin' off brand-X

Straightenin' the byways

puttin' out a hex

To ricers it will span

Announcing the command:

ADMs be damned!

Is Capitol Records still around? Hear Jan and Dean are still looking for new stuff.

I'll be singing this little diddy to myself all day :hysterical:

Is Capitol Records still around? Hear Jan and Dean are still looking for new stuff.

I'll be singing this little diddy to myself all day :hysterical:

<lol> yeah, fits Jan & Dean's music for sure ;)

I'll be lchecking the mail for my royalty check :hysterical:

Ok, I finally got back to the dyno and even have video. It maxed out at 291 rwhp and 307rwtq.

In the attached picture a strange dip is noted that we are "investigating." Most probable culprit is the car may be going in to some sort of limit function where it modulates the throttle. One thing I just thought of is the traction control was not turned off during the test. I wouldn't think that would matter, but who knows.

My next mod will be to install the Western Motorsports CAI. The one I have currently is not technically a CAI since it's still sucking from the engine bay.

Here's the video:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5823186173824339058

post-5356-1160113456_thumb.jpg

post-5356-1160113456_thumb.jpg

Ok, I finally got back to the dyno and even have video. It maxed out at 291 rwhp and 307rwtq.

In the attached picture a strange dip is noted that we are "investigating." Most probable culprit is the car may be going in to some sort of limit function where it modulates the throttle. One thing I just thought of is the traction control was not turned off during the test. I wouldn't think that would matter, but who knows.

My next mod will be to install the Western Motorsports CAI. The one I have currently is not technically a CAI since it's still sucking from the engine bay.

Here's the video:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5823186173824339058

Rat, looks great and sounds great!!! That handling pak really makes it look nicely hunkered-down!

I saw the wiggles in the dyno curves -- wondering if it wasn't a little wheel slip confusing the TC (did you notice if the TC light came on?). Because of the shape of dyno rollers, the contact patch is reduced a little which could affect traction -- pulling a few lbs pressure out of the rears might counter that (even with TC off).

Good luck with her!

Rat, what's that 30,000 shaftHP sub do in the quarter kilo-fathom? ;-) I've never been in a modern sub -- must be a real kick!

Here's some pics with the new Roush spoiler.

The more I think about it, the more I think the traction control may have had something to do with it the wiggly curves. As I recall, after putting the programmer on my 03 Mach 1, the traction control would always interfere with hard acceleration in 4th gear - it's a glitch I've read about before, so I'm figuring it could be an issue with the S197 as well.

in other news...

hard acceleration in a submarine can be truely appreciated only when standing between the two main engines (steam turbines). Standing there, going from zero to max power in about 15 seconds is an incredible experience - the entire boat (8000 tons) leans counter-clockwise from the torque which is in excess of 1,000,000 lbs-ft. Although you can reach max power in about 15 seconds, max speed takes a bit longer - it won't win any drag races, but just don't get in the way.

post-5356-1160194261_thumb.jpg

post-5356-1160194296_thumb.jpg

post-5356-1160194333_thumb.jpg

post-5356-1160194374_thumb.jpg

post-5356-1160194261_thumb.jpg

post-5356-1160194296_thumb.jpg

post-5356-1160194333_thumb.jpg

post-5356-1160194374_thumb.jpg

The more I think about it, the more I think the traction control may have had something to do with it the wiggly curves. As I recall, after putting the programmer on my 03 Mach 1, the traction control would always interfere with hard acceleration in 4th gear - it's a glitch I've read about before, so I'm figuring it could be an issue with the S197 as well.

Yeah, that makes sense.

Btw, whose GT-R wheels are those -- they are awesome!

in other news...

hard acceleration in a submarine can be truely appreciated only when standing between the two main engines (steam turbines). Standing there, going from zero to max power in about 15 seconds is an incredible experience - the entire boat (8000 tons) leans counter-clockwise from the torque which is in excess of 1,000,000 lbs-ft. Although you can reach max power in about 15 seconds, max speed takes a bit longer - it won't win any drag races, but just don't get in the way.

Now that's gotta be a kick! ;)

Sweet rims, Rat.

I had a tugboat skipper for a roommate in Wilmington when I was in school back in the '90s.

He used to run up on the Chesepeake Bay - and he told me about the huge wakes the subs leave. Amazing. (the boomers)

Rat - first off - you've got a lot of GT's on the ground out there!

You did a gear change. Did you buy the recalibrator from Ford Racing to get the speedo in synch? Any problems with that?

My tech is having a time with mine. My cruise control hasn't worked (except in 4th gear) since he did the gear swap. And I'm also having issues with full throttle in 1st and 2nd gears.

Any thoughts?

It's getting a little frustrating.

Thanks

Rat - first off - you've got a lot of GT's on the ground out there!

You did a gear change. Did you buy the recalibrator from Ford Racing to get the speedo in synch? Any problems with that?

My tech is having a time with mine. My cruise control hasn't worked (except in 4th gear) since he did the gear swap. And I'm also having issues with full throttle in 1st and 2nd gears.

Any thoughts?

It's getting a little frustrating.

Thanks

I didn't use the drag pack from Ford - it was all custom piece by piece. HOWEVER - interesting you should mention your troubles...I had a customer a little while ago that did the drag pack and our guru was having a heck of a time even getting the car to run at all. He limped it over to his guru and it was discovered that the calibration sent by Ford was for a different year model or something F'd up like that. Ford replaced the calibration and all was well. I think you may have ordered your stuff about the same time we did this customer's so it could be related.

I finally got my car back. After a year of test drives with customers and scooting them around the lot, I finally have my own S197. I have to say, having had several Mustangs (see signature), this is without a doubt the best engineered Mustang ever. It's spacious, great ride and drivability even modded, and the seats are much more comfortable than they have ever been. It's only now that I can experience what a world class sports car these really are especially given the price - nothing even comes close (ok, I AM a little biased, but still).

It has the most evil sounding exhaust note I've ever heard from a 4.6 under full throttle and super low frequency idle. I was taking requests all day at work to crank'er up.

I'm supposed to have the dyno print-out on Monday. I had called for results before final tuning had taken place and it was up to 293 rwhp (345 flywheel?). I'm hoping it hit the magic 300 mark by the end.

I can't decide if I should add a Roush spoiler and Man-Racer style splitter...opinions? I've always believed in form following function, although sometimes the impractical side of me needs to to be heard too. But, the car is very clean looking right now which is nice - decisions, decisions...

To Recap:

06 Torch Red GT

CAI (may upgrade to WMS soon)

JBA CARB Legal long tubes

x-pipe

Magnaflow mufflers

Hurst shifter

Eibach springs

Adjustable control arm

4.10 gear

Dyno tune

CTR 18's (245/40 fronts, 285/35 backs)

That sure is a nice looking car .....I sure like the look of your leather interior it's got a real rich look about it ........very nice car.......

The attached pics show the adjustable upper control arm (no wheel hop what so ever) and the long tube headers (JBA) and x-pipe

Rat, those headers fit awesome! Great pix! That adjustable upper CA is an aftermarket unit, yes?

Re opinions... I really like the man-racer splitter -- pitpup used a Steeda unit which is a similar look -- but with the lowered springs you're going to need the cat-whisker option <lol>. And I love your idea of a Roush spoiler!

Awesome ride!

Can't wait to see what dyno finally spits out too :)

Just curious, rat, is that tuned harmonic damper part of the Steeda AdjCA kit, or is that part of the Ford-engineered mount? I.e., is the kit just the adjust-link and bushings or... ??

I'm assuming you're talking about the chunk of iron under the front end? It's included - I think.

Rat, those headers fit awesome! Great pix! That adjustable upper CA is an aftermarket unit, yes?

Re opinions... I really like the man-racer splitter -- pitpup used a Steeda unit which is a similar look -- but with the lowered springs you're going to need the cat-whisker option <lol>. And I love your idea of a Roush spoiler!

After giving it much thought, I've decided to keep the looks as-is. A front splitter would last about 10 minutes - or however long it takes me to find a parking space stop. Plus, I'm something of a minimalist when it comes to decor. I think a few well placed items have a greater impact than throwing an entire catalogue of dress-up parts at it (like not being able to see the forest for the trees).

...however, there's nothing wrong with throwing an entire catalogue of speed parts at it...now, where did my wife hide her credit cards...

Archived