TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rat's Ride

ratnacage

I finally got my car back. After a year of test drives with customers and scooting them around the lot, I finally have my own S197. I have to say, having had several Mustangs (see signature), this is without a doubt the best engineered Mustang ever. It's spacious, great ride and drivability even modded, and the seats are much more comfortable than they have ever been. It's only now that I can experience what a world class sports car these really are especially given the price - nothing even comes close (ok, I AM a little biased, but still).

It has the most evil sounding exhaust note I've ever heard from a 4.6 under full throttle and super low frequency idle. I was taking requests all day at work to crank'er up.

I'm supposed to have the dyno print-out on Monday. I had called for results before final tuning had taken place and it was up to 293 rwhp (345 flywheel?). I'm hoping it hit the magic 300 mark by the end.

I can't decide if I should add a Roush spoiler and Man-Racer style splitter...opinions? I've always believed in form following function, although sometimes the impractical side of me needs to to be heard too. But, the car is very clean looking right now which is nice - decisions, decisions...

To Recap:

06 Torch Red GT

CAI (may upgrade to WMS soon)

JBA CARB Legal long tubes

x-pipe

Magnaflow mufflers

Hurst shifter

Eibach springs

Adjustable control arm

4.10 gear

Dyno tune

CTR 18's (245/40 fronts, 285/35 backs)

post-5356-1158468972_thumb.jpg

post-5356-1158469009_thumb.jpg

post-5356-1158469037_thumb.jpg

post-5356-1158469081_thumb.jpg

post-5356-1158468972_thumb.jpg

post-5356-1158469009_thumb.jpg

post-5356-1158469037_thumb.jpg

post-5356-1158469081_thumb.jpg

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rat: Nice ride. I know why you have that shit eatin grin from ear to ear. It is a nice feeling to own one of these cars. They do handle great. It is kinda of like putting on a good fitting glove when you get into the car. The engineers really thought this one thru. The rims you picked out look superb. Congrats on your new ride. Drive safe, there is alot of yoyos on the road these days. Thanx for the photos. keep us updated on your mods. Rob.

Nice ride man. I think those wheels look good - especially against that red. I *almost* went for that tire combo then got talked out of it into the 285/40 - 255/45 sizes - hope they don't rub!

You'll probably be fine with that combo. I actually prefered your rear tire size, but the vendor we use was cutting me a substantial break, so, as they say, beggars can't be choosers.

Any opinions on the splitter pictured here: http://www.seriouswheels.com/2005/2005-For...A-1600x1200.htm

I was thinking of adding one of those.

You'll probably be fine with that combo. I actually prefered your rear tire size, but the vendor we use was cutting me a substantial break, so, as they say, beggars can't be choosers.

Any opinions on the splitter pictured here: http://www.seriouswheels.com/2005/2005-For...A-1600x1200.htm

I was thinking of adding one of those.

Hey, Andre, congrats, man!!! She looks absolutely great!

Love the wheel/tire combo. A nice total look for sure!

The Saleen PJ chin spoiler is nice, but also take a look at the GT-R chin -- nice flat lower lip edge and that genuinely functional look too. But whatever you pick, yeah, it needs something down there to frame the bottom. Have a ball -- that red is so nice an rich too!

Best of luck...

-Dan

Forgot to ask you about the 4.10's.

Can you give us a sense of the difference from the 3.55's?

The 4.10's definitely took a day or two to learn. This is the first time I've had a car with this high a ratio. The first thing you'll probably notice is that the car feels much lighter accelerating which makes sense. Also, the first time I got on it, I hit the rev limiter - 1st goes by way faster than what I had been accustomed to. What you might not expect is that this gear actually made the car feel *slower* under normal acceleration - it left me scratching my head, but after giving it some thought it made sense. Here's why: with the stock gear you get used to accelerating to certain MPH's as you go through the gears in normal driving. However, with 4.10's, those MPH's are much lower at each shift point, hense the sensation that you aren't going as fast (because the reality is you're not). But, where the gears really shine is during full throttle acceleration. It'll take some practice, but it's really incredible - it makes the car feel like it has about an extra 50hp.

My only real concern right now is that I'll run out of gear in 4th before the end of the 1/4 mile. The rear tire ratio, ideally, should have been more like 285/40, but for the reason stated earlier, mine are 35's. By my calculations, 4th should be good up to about 112 mph which I guess should work (for now).

By the way, I just got through watching that video on the 1000hp GT (insane!). That's what my car sounds like, but without the hiss from the turbos.

Hopefully I'll be able to post a picture of the dyno sheet tomorrow.

Looking good Rat! Seeing yours, I will definitely be dropping my too. After Ford Evangelist gets his Tokicos installed and we get the report, I might consider those too. Looking forward to the dyno results and time slips. How long before you send it down the track?

Edit: Are you going to post some sound bytes of your exhaust? Would love to hear how the LTs sound with the magnaflows.

Thanks, Rat

I don't think enough people realize the difference that gears can make.

Everything is a compromise - but I think gears are one of the best bang for the buck modifications you can make.

My 6 spd 350Z became a different car when I went from 3.55's to 3.91's.

Most of my "encounters" will be at stoplights - so I'm looking for 0-100 more than 1/4 mile et's.

Glad you're happy. :cheerleader:

By this time next week, I'll be happy too!

Let's ride. :rockon:

Thanks, Rat

I don't think enough people realize the difference that gears can make.

Everything is a compromise - but I think gears are one of the best bang for the buck modifications you can make.

My 6 spd 350Z became a different car when I went from 3.55's to 3.91's.

Most of my "encounters" will be at stoplights - so I'm looking for 0-100 more than 1/4 mile et's.

Glad you're happy. :cheerleader:

By this time next week, I'll be happy too!

Let's ride. :rockon:

Damn, I must be psychic <lol> I remember saying several weeks ago it would arrive around your birthday. Hope so, Bryan -- exciting, man!

;)

:happy feet:

I've got an attorney buddy in Greenville with a modded up 350Z.

He had cams installed in the last two days - and has a bunch of other NA parts on (exhaust, gears, intake, plenum, rims, etc).

He's been raggin' me about the abilities of the GT.

Sunday, I'm going over and see if he'd like to line 'em up. (I'm still stock)

If he does, I'll do my best to represent the brand.

Then - we'll do a few things to Back in Black and try again! :rockon:

If I go with the Roush, he says he'll go Twin Turbos!

Ya gotta love competition!

Even with the Roush, I think he'd give me a rough time at Virginia Inter. Raceway!

I'm gonna have to start practicing my heel and toeing! :shift:

:happy feet:

I've got an attorney buddy in Greenville with a modded up 350Z.

He had cams installed in the last two days - and has a bunch of other NA parts on (exhaust, gears, intake, plenum, rims, etc).

He's been raggin' me about the abilities of the GT.

Sunday, I'm going over and see if he'd like to line 'em up. (I'm still stock)

If he does, I'll do my best to represent the brand.

Then - we'll do a few things to Back in Black and try again! :rockon:

If I go with the Roush, he says he'll go Twin Turbos!

Ya gotta love competition!

Even with the Roush, I think he'd give me a rough time at Virginia Inter. Raceway!

I'm gonna have to start practicing my heel and toeing! :shift:

Then you should go Twin Turbo also. Get a pair og G35s. You da man Ruf.

No. I'm one of us. We're all The Man.

We all love cars. We love to talk about them - think about them - remember them - drive them - make them faster!

A few more observations: the GT feels too softly sprung. On accelearation, the nose goes up like a King Air just before takeoff! (the springs will fix this)

Body roll also seems excessive - or maybe it's the high center of gravity (I just came out of a lowered 350Z).

Interior lighting seems less than it could be. Just as in a house - lighting is usually inexpensive to install - so why don't more people put in more fixtures when building one? Ex: floor lights - a dome light -

Visibility is very good compared to my Z.

But - I can see that keeping the rear window clean is going to be a bi*ch!

In my car, the defroster wires in the rear window distort cars in my rear view mirror. How come? (it makes them look like Pitpup's Grabber!

I miss my '85 GT's detachable flexible map light. Bring it back!

Outside rear view mirrors - why do they have to be as large as those on a Kenworth? Let's make them smaller and reduce the drag? :banghead:

Is it time for all cars over $20k to have standard hydraulic prop rods for the hood?

Fog lights work better the LOWER THEY ARE TO THE ROAD. Hel-lo? Either lower them or lose 'em.

How much would it cost to include adjustable side bolsters on the front seats (even manually adjustable)?

You can't make a seat fit right for everyone. It called ADJUSTING.

Why would anyone want their headlights to come on when unlocking the doors?

235 tires on a Mustang GT? Hel-lo?

Okay - that's it for now.

Gotta go find the clay bar! :rockon:

We all love cars. We love to talk about them - think about them - remember them - drive them - make them faster!

A few more observations: the GT feels too softly sprung. On accelearation, the nose goes up like a King Air just before takeoff! (the springs will fix this)

Body roll also seems excessive - or maybe it's the high center of gravity (I just came out of a lowered 350Z).

Interior lighting seems less than it could be. Just as in a house - lighting is usually inexpensive to install - so why don't more people put in more fixtures when building one? Ex: floor lights - a dome light -

In my car, the defroster wires in the rear window distort cars in my rear view mirror. How come? (it makes them look like Pitpup's Grabber!

Outside rear view mirrors - why do they have to be as large as those on a Kenworth? Let's make them smaller and reduce the drag? :banghead:

Is it time for all cars over $20k to have standard hydraulic prop rods for the hood?

Fog lights work better the LOWER THEY ARE TO THE ROAD. Hel-lo? Either lower them or lose 'em.

How much would it cost to include adjustable side bolsters on the front seats (even manually adjustable)?

Good feedback Ruf...

Can't wait till she's all set the way you want it... will be very cool.

Keep smilin' ;)

-Dan

Hay Ruf: Kinda sounds like your havin a bad day. It musta been that ticket you got. It would be nice to have our cake and eat it too. How many miles do you think it takes to get these GT's broke in before one starts to romp on it. 1000 miles ? How many miles you got now. It is suppose to be clear and 80 degrees here for a few days in Battleground, WA so in the morning I am gonna put some miles on this car and have some fun. I still only have 338 on it. Let me know what you think. Also one thought I had - Did you try to get a GT500 but could not cut a deal ?

Rob - the speeding ticket was a joke!

Break-in? Everybody and I mean everybody has their own formula.

I like to try and drive reasonably normal for 500 miles before cutting loose.

I had an MSRP Shelby deal locked in.

But - my wife got sick and I had to downsize the budget.

Now - gotta go sniff my seats! :rockon:

Oh - I've been having a great day - No 911 calls for my mom or my wife.

I was ony trying to give some feedback on the '07.

Rob - the speeding ticket was a joke!

Break-in? Everybody and I mean everybody has their own formula.

I like to try and drive reasonably normal for 500 miles before cutting loose.

I had an MSRP Shelby deal locked in.

But - my wife got sick and I had to downsize the budget.

Now - gotta go sniff my seats! :rockon:

Oh - I've been having a great day - No 911 calls for my mom or my wife.

I was ony trying to give some feedback on the '07.

[/quote

Ruf: Sorry to hear that you wife was sick. I Hope Good health has returned to her. Is that cop a friend of yours ? Do you know if the Mods offered by the Ford racing team void the factory 3 year / 36K warranty? :shrug:

Yeah - cop is a buddy.

Ford Racing parts void the warranty.

Rat - how about more comments on your car? Had anybody ask about it?

Have you done any stopwatch 0-60's?

What's your RPM's in 5th at 60mph?

With my 3.55's - I'm turning a click under 2k.

More pics? :bandance:

Edit: Do you know if the Tech used a recalibration tool for your speedo after the gear install?

Rat - how about more comments on your car? Had anybody ask about it?

Have you done any stopwatch 0-60's?

What's your RPM's in 5th at 60mph?

With my 3.55's - I'm turning a click under 2k.

More pics? :bandance:

Edit: Do you know if the Tech used a recalibration tool for your speedo after the gear install?

I've gotten a lot of good comments from total strangers in the drive-through, stop lights, etc.

I haven't done any timing on 0-anything, but I can tell you 100 comes really quick. It comes so quickly that I thought maybe the speedo wasn't calibrated, but on double checking, it is calibrated.

I got a call from the shop that tuned the car, and they want it back - they think there's another 10-15 HP they missed - we'll see. 293 rwhp was the last number I had.

At 70 mph, I'm doing about 2500 rpm. Keep in mind, my rear tires are also just a hair smaller in diameter than stock.

Other comments: I know you think fog lights should be lower to the ground, but at night there is no mistaking the pattern of a Mustang GT. The array reminds me of a jet on final approach with all its landing lights on. Besides, how often do you really *need* "fog" lights.

This coming weekend I'll be taking it to the track, so hopefully I'll have some numbers to post.

Also, I've been like a kid that just got his license: honey, do you need me to go to the store for A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G??

I've gotten a lot of good comments from total strangers in the drive-through, stop lights, etc.

I haven't done any timing on 0-anything, but I can tell you 100 comes really quick. It comes so quickly that I thought maybe the speedo wasn't calibrated, but on double checking, it is calibrated.

I got a call from the shop that tuned the car, and they want it back - they think there's another 10-15 HP they missed - we'll see. 293 rwhp was the last number I had.

At 70 mph, I'm doing about 2500 rpm. Keep in mind, my rear tires are also just a hair smaller in diameter than stock.

Other comments: I know you think fog lights should be lower to the ground, but at night there is no mistaking the pattern of a Mustang GT. The array reminds me of a jet on final approach with all its landing lights on. Besides, how often do you really *need* "fog" lights.

This coming weekend I'll be taking it to the track, so hopefully I'll have some numbers to post.

Also, I've been like a kid that just got his license: honey, do you need me to go to the store for A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G??

What? No fog in TX? :o

Funny, I really missed usefull fogs on the '01 Cobra -- they were mostly for show but don't light much. And the 'squinty' headlights, even with PIA bulbs, were not adequate on pitch-black back roads at high speed.

The GTs really look like they work, but some don't like the styling -- I kinda like big fogs but would be better (for me) in an "eleanor"'-like front clip... down low. I've noticed that some aftermarket front clips put projector-type fogs in the grille cowl betw grille and headlights (Foose comes to mind).

The GT is cool ride and such a great value -- nice to hear you're havin' fun with her -- like a kid again is such a good thing ;)

Rat - two things:

Have you noticed a lag in throttle response in 1st gear? My tech says the computer is holding it back till 500 miles.

What are your thoughts about this drive by wire deal? My RPM's don't rise or fall off fast enough for me.

I'm used to a much quicker response from the Go Fast pedal.

My tech further tells me that the :censored: computer is interfering with us also when changing gears - opening and closing the throttle when it needs to - not when we want it to. I'm not very happy with all this technology trying to tell me how to drive the :censored: car. :banghead:

(with the voice-over of the Hal-9000 from 2001): "I'm sorry, Ruf, but I can't allow that much fuel into the engine at this RPM."

(with the voice-over of the Hal-9000 from 2001): "I'm sorry, Ruf, but I can't allow that much fuel into the engine at this RPM."

Well, I remember back when I had my 89 GT, there were plenty of guys saying EFI was the end of the big horsepower musclecar and things would never be the same, etc. It took a while for the industry and street to learn how to go really fast with smaller engines, and more technology. We used to get our butts spanked by the old-school carburated cars, but eventually I earned the "right" to put the license plate on my car that said, "PRO1EFI." For a while anyway, I had the fastest Mustang and true street car in VA Beach (running 10's @ 128). By the early nineties the "newfangled" technology became the undisputed champion at extracting huge HP and incredible track performance while still retaining the ability to pass emissions and drive on the street - who would have thought you could have a 9-10 sec qtr mile, airconditioning, AND daily transportation all in one car?

I guess what I'm saying is that advances in technology are generally good and while some features may initially seem to take away our "freedom," in the long run it will enable us to go faster more efficiently and with better streetability.

I have noticed that my car seems faster now than when I first got it, but I can't say for sure if it's the computer allowing full power, or if it's just that I've adapted to the car more. 1st gear seems to respond fine. Having RPM drop off faster after lifting the throttle is not necessarily a good thing - it sounds cool to hit the throttle and get that whap-ah sound, etc, but the computer may ease RPM down to maintain better oil flow and prolong bearing life. Also, I think you'll be happier after all your mods are done, and you will notice a change in throttle response. I'll also take this opportunity to suggest you chuck the shorty headers. Go will the long tubes AND go with a custom dyno tune rather than the tune provided with the drag-pack.

My overall verdict on the S197: :banana piano: This is without question the best engineered Mustang ever, and the best engineered musclecar for the money - ever!

Archived