TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rat's Ride

ratnacage

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...less, my son, is invariably - more. +1

Yeah, I agree -- form following function. Rat's already got a nice functional spoiler back there, but the GT needs a serious front splitter for high-speed stability -- and maybe a front brake upgrade if it will see much of the twisties.

That's what's so great about the 'stang -- tons of stuff out there to make it what you need it to be! You know the Camaro and Chal will follow the identical aftermarket model that Ford did such a superb job developing for the mustang, but that's to be expected.

Yeah, I agree -- form following function. Rat's already got a nice functional spoiler back there, but the GT needs a serious front splitter for high-speed stability -- and maybe a front brake upgrade if it will see much of the twisties.

That's what's so great about the 'stang -- tons of stuff out there to make it what you need it to be! You know the Camaro and Chal will follow the identical aftermarket model that Ford did such a superb job developing for the mustang, but that's to be expected.

Actually, I'm all about the qtr mile, so twisties won't be happenin' - but, my primary reason for not doing anything to the front is simply one of reality; this car is a daily driver and it already sits so low, anything hanging off the front would be toast in short order.

Ruf, you're making me jealous with the talk about cams. I'll be interested to see how that works out. Is it for sure, or are you still trying to justify it to the wife? I'm thinking about it; it may be just the thing to wake up my long tubes.

• 1 month later...

Houston, we have Horse Power!

After installing the WMS CAI, I could feel it, but thought it could just be my imagination.

I brought it to my tuner to dial it in on the dyno today

...and....

306 hp / 316 tq at the wheels

Despite that WMS claims no tune is needed, the first pull showed the car to be very lean, so the moral of that story is even if the manufacturer of a CAI claims not to need a retune, do it anyway.

:censored:

After installing the WMS CAI, I could feel it, but thought it could just be my imagination.

...and....

Despite that WMS claims no tune is needed, the first pull showed the car to be very lean, so the moral of that story is even if the manufacturer of a CAI claims not to need a retune, do it anyway.

very nice car you certainly have done your homework which dealer did you get yours from in houston iam waiting on mine to come in Tom

...and....

Good news, Rat -- 306 rwHP is real nice!

Even with no mods at all a good dyno tune will wake things up -- the factory settings are typically so conservative.

I was talking to an FRPP guy at SEMA and said the more they work with the 4.6GT the more they realize how much can be put to it -- he wasn't specific but the context was pushing it further with the Whipple pack (beyond how the pack is offered). He said they've been "very solid" in their testing.

Happy T-day ;)

-Dan

Good news, Rat -- 306 rwHP is real nice!

Even with no mods at all a good dyno tune will wake things up -- the factory settings are typically so conservative.

I was talking to an FRPP guy at SEMA and said the more they work with the 4.6GT the more they realize how much can be put to it -- he wasn't specific but the context was pushing it further with the Whipple pack (beyond how the pack is offered). He said they've been "very solid" in their testing.

Happy T-day ;)

-Dan

Yes, these S197's are sooo much better engineered than previous models. They respond very good to upgrades. Good thing too, because with Chevy and Dodge coming on board with their "pony" cars, the Mustang will have its plate full. But, I have no doubt the aftermarket will provide everything we need to remain ahead of the pack.

Come to think of it, future Chevy and Dodge owners should be lining up to kiss Mustang owners' asses. If it weren't for the uninterupted success of the Mustang, there would be no performance aftermarket for late model cars and the modern Muscle car would be dead, that is unless you like the taste of rice!!

tjp80 - did you order from a Houston dealer?

yes i did planet ford on my second sales person the first one quite i have to be there this spring for 2 months thought i would buy a car before renting again with the taxs in texas price was better than my dealer at home and i get 3 or 4 truck a year from him go figure but he has to service it i am bring it back to new after the trip tom

yes. My salesman was FANTASTIC - THE BEST IN THE WHOLE WORLD!!

:redcard: ...I'm one of the internet sales guys at Lone Star Ford

..........oh, I just realized the question wasn't for me - sorry. :blush:

hello i stopped in but no one at the dealership gave me any time i just wanted to order a cal special and go maybe on my gt 500 tom :shift:

Here's a pic under the hood showing the WMS and tower brace.

Ah, that's the Western Motorsports CAI I mentioned a while back -- the stats on it are impressive. I think FRP offers a hood that looks nearly stock except for a roughtly 2x12" inlet near the leading edge on each side -- would probably work outstanding with that CAI.

Rat, I should know better by now, you probably already have it on-order or in the paint-shop -- not much gets by you ;-)

-Dan

Oh, Daddy! Sounds like you're going to have a tire-smoke Christmas!

Are you going to meet the transport at the dealer to get some pics? And to keep the driver from being too casual?!

How much are the Michelin's? What sizes? Tire Rack?

What's your MSRP?

I'm happy for ya, man. :hyper:

Ah, that's the Western Motorsports CAI I mentioned a while back -- the stats on it are impressive. I think FRP offers a hood that looks nearly stock except for a roughtly 2x12" inlet near the leading edge on each side -- would probably work outstanding with that CAI.

Rat, I should know better by now, you probably already have it on-order or in the paint-shop -- not much gets by you ;-)

-Dan

The question really is, how much can I get past my wife. :baby:

RATNACAGE - 1, LONESTARFORDINC - 0

Scott gets schooled...

Scott just got himself a new Mustang GT and was givin' me crap all day that he was going to whip me (racing).

We both left work late and travel most of the same way home, so naturally he had to try it out. I slowed to about 65 and waited for him to come up along side, but he doesn't know much about street racing etiquet, so he thought it was fair to come screaming up from behind, and pass me at 80+. I saw him doing this, so I went to 4th gear, he passed me initially, but I quickly matched speed, and pulled past him. We did this a couple times with basically the same result.

Later he was giving me more crap that my car wasn't that fast. I had to break the news to him, that I was pulling him in 5th gear while he was still balls-to-the-wall in 4th..."I beat you in 5th gear!" (I have a 4.10 gear, so 4th winds out pretty quickly when you're racing on the highway).

post-5356-1165561189_thumb.jpg

post-5356-1165561258_thumb.jpg

post-5356-1165561189_thumb.jpg

post-5356-1165561258_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Geez - I had to resurect my thread from page 6. Why do you hate me???

Anyway.....

I'm so excited, I just can't hide it....

I just handed my car over to Josh/Fastlane (not affiliated with the other Fastlane on the east coast) to get a set of cams put in. I selected ones with some overlap so it should thump nicely. I also installed some painted mirrors. Hopefully I should have dyno video/numbers available by the end of next week.

BTW, anyone know how to edit a thread's subject? Is it possible?

:banana piano: :headspin: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

I just handed my car over to Josh/Fastlane (not affiliated with the other Fastlane on the east coast) to get a set of cams put in. I selected ones with some overlap so it should thump nicely. I also installed some painted mirrors. Hopefully I should have dyno video/numbers available by the end of next week.

Sounds cool - same kind of cam that Ruf used or more radical? Doing any head work at the same time?

BTW, anyone know how to edit a thread's subject? Is it possible?

Only the god like powers of the almight Moderators, in their infinite wisdom, can do such a deed. But be warned, they may ask you to prove yourself with several feats of strength and wisdom!

:hysterical:

:popcorn:

Dyno Nums feature-film about to start -- grab a chair! ;-)

Yeah, what cams, Rat? What brand/lift/overlap/duration? Hollow-drilled billet?

There's a killer FRP intake for the 3V (very pricey) :devil:

:hyper:

Archived