TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500KR versus Nissan GT-R

ctann

Well, this forum has not proven to be the friendliest of places of late, so I figured I'd throw my own little slice of controversy into the ring :devil:

I have been waiting patiently for the GT500KR ever since the first rumours of a 2007 GT500. Its been a tough wait, and since I put down my deposit (a *long* time ago now), many things in the world have changed. One thing that caught my attention is the arrival of the Nissan GT-R. I have seen it mentioned (and rapidly dismissed) on these forums before, but I think it is clearly a direct competitor to the GT500KR. Price wise (at least MSRP) they are close, production numbers are similar - and althought the GT-R is a 2009 model, about the same number have been delivered so far! ;^>

Anyway, there's a lot to like about the GT500KR, but there's also a lot to like about the GT-R. Interestingly, I read an (unverified) rumour that Ford had trademarked the GT-R name in 2006, and Nissan names its GT-R based race car the "GT-R GT500". Things get even more confusing! From the numbers, the GT-R has the KR beaten in just about every way, but of course, a car is much more than its specs.

So, I find myself at the point that I need to decide between these two. Delays on the KR aren't helping any, and I figured I would throw out the comparison question to see what other people think. Given that probably more than 50% of the people that troll this board will never own a KR (and many don't even like it - I don't really understand why they hang out here at all), I expect some sort of flame war to come out of this, but I thought it could generate some interesting comments. :lurk:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, this forum has not proven to be the friendliest of places of late, so I figured I'd throw my own little slice of controversy into the ring :devil:

I have been waiting patiently for the GT500KR ever since the first rumours of a 2007 GT500. Its been a tough wait, and since I put down my deposit (a *long* time ago now), many things in the world have changed. One thing that caught my attention is the arrival of the Nissan GT-R. I have seen it mentioned (and rapidly dismissed) on these forums before, but I think it is clearly a direct competitor to the GT500KR. Price wise (at least MSRP) they are close, production numbers are similar - and althought the GT-R is a 2009 model, about the same number have been delivered so far! ;^>

Anyway, there's a lot to like about the GT500KR, but there's also a lot to like about the GT-R. Interestingly, I read an (unverified) rumour that Ford had trademarked the GT-R name in 2006, and Nissan names its GT-R based race car the "GT-R GT500". Things get even more confusing! From the numbers, the GT-R has the KR beaten in just about every way, but of course, a car is much more than its specs.

So, I find myself at the point that I need to decide between these two. Delays on the KR aren't helping any, and I figured I would throw out the comparison question to see what other people think. Given that probably more than 50% of the people that troll this board will never own a KR (and many don't even like it - I don't really understand why they hang out here at all), I expect some sort of flame war to come out of this, but I thought it could generate some interesting comments. :lurk:

I'd buy a GT500 and mod it. Doesn't take much time, effort or cash to beat the KR. With 1749 being made, it's just not that much of a "limited production" vehicle. Besides, rice doesn't count towards muscle car.

Have you driven a Skyline of any denomination (R33? R34?)?

The reason for my question is because while they are technically brilliant, they are (imho) too polished and therefore suffer from the 'problem' that once the driver becomes used to the thrill of the acceleration and the speed the car can carry into a corner, they are actually quite dull and soulless. In other words, once you become acclimatized to the power, they leave you feeling cold and uninvolved.

I'm not knocking them but can speak with some experience because I've owned my fair share of Porsche 911s (including 3 Turbos) and all of them were stunningly fast and stupidly competent but always lacked the driver involvement (read soul, passion, sense of occasion) that I look for in a car; therefore, each and everyone I’ve owned has been sold on for this very reason after a relatively short period of time.

To my mind, you need a car to have a sense of occasion, otherwise you may as well we driving any old box with 4-wheels.

Just my 2-cents. :)

Hey there,

Here is a link to some articles you can read :) Steve Millen (owner of Stillen) has done a fair amount of track time in the GT-R (as well as MANY supercars) for testing purposes (magazines, etc). We will have one here shortly - which I understand we will be manufacturing parts for - and that I also understand will probably be running the Targa New Zeland (along with our Ford GT).

http://www.stillen.com/project_vehicles/gt..._road_track.asp

Page

I can see some strong arguments in favor of both cars, but I doubt there will be a lot of cross shopping between the two. Those who value technology in highly efficient package will choose the GT-R. However, those who want a ride that may be a bit less refined but has more character will prefer the KR. I once owned a Dodge Stealth RT Twin Turbo, which basically has the same general layout as the GT-R (AWD Twin Turbo V6), although with less performance. Compared to my GT500 it definitely lacked character, although it was quite fast for a car of that era (1992).

Personnally, I would chose the KR over the GT-R without hesitation. As far as I'm concerned, the biggest problem with the GT-R is its styling. It is simply too bland for me. I'm sure it's a great car but it doesn't excite my like some other technically advanced rides do (for instance, an Audi R8).

BUY AMERICAN

BUY AMERICAN

Good point :) Question is - whats American anymore. Have you walked onto a car lot lately? Look at the origin of manufacture for most of the parts on the car (engine, trans, etc). MOST of its not made in the U.S. - even if its on an American car.

But - I do agree (which is why we own 3 Fords) :)

Good point :) Question is - whats American anymore. Have you walked onto a car lot lately? Look at the origin of manufacture for most of the parts on the car (engine, trans, etc). MOST of its not made in the U.S. - even if its on an American car.

True, but they only way that will ever change is by us standing up and saying enough is enough, MADE IN AMERICA needs to stand for something again like it once did, global economy my ass, sorry for the political rant.

That GT-R is a mighty fine car. Over on the Nissan site they posted a vid of Top Gear running the car. Amazing! It actually hurt the old guys neck and they had to take him off in an ambulance!

You can't argue with 0-60 in 3.5 seconds.

Sure you can get a z06 or a zr-1 if you want those numbers, the KR is no sloutch

True, but they only way that will ever change is by us standing up and saying enough is enough, MADE IN AMERICA needs to stand for something again like it once did, global economy my ass, sorry for the political rant.

I could not agree more...although the argument that we dont really know what is American because of where the car is built. It still boils down to the fact that the profits and revenue go to respective car companys country of origin. With that being said, the Tundra that is built in San Antonio by American workers does in fact generate a boost in the local economy and the pocketbooks of those employed there. But the profits still go to Japan. Even though they built there because of right to work laws and other concessions by the people of Texas.Tax abatements, free land, etc. I have had an issue about this argument from way back when that idiot Darrel Waltrip was canonizing toyota as saints (he owns toyota dealerships) making it a point to make sure everyone knew where the Fords,Dodges, and Chevrolets are built. And that toyota is as American as the Big 3. (proof he is an idiot) Lots of stuff needs to change. And that is my commentary for the day :happy feet:

Brave discussion. Considering that this a Shelby site, sponsored and paid for by Carroll Shelby and Shelby INC. To discuss, competitors in glowing terms, speak of production delays, ('salt in the wound'), other comparisons on the negative side ???? In other words, go ask your husband or wife, to help you discuss which new man or woman you should choose, to 'be with'. Or...ask your current employer to help you decide between, between several new employers to work for. Maybe, I'm being sensitive, but then on the other hand, please remember whose, ' diner table' you are sitting at and who pays the bills. Please be mindful and respectful in your discussion. Thank You :shift:

Brave discussion. Considering that this a Shelby site, sponsored and paid for by Carroll Shelby and Shelby INC. To discuss, competitors in glowing terms, speak of production delays, ('salt in the wound'), other comparisons on the negative side ???? In other words, go ask your husband or wife, to help you discuss which new man or woman you should choose, to 'be with'. Or...ask your current employer to help you decide between, between several new employers to work for. Maybe, I'm being sensitive, but then on the other hand, please remember whose, ' diner table' you are sitting at and who pays the bills. Please be mindful and respectful in your discussion. Thank You :shift:

Hey no disrespect, but as a newbie, these are open forums! If you do not want to post in a thread, that is a choice, but this site has many off topic discussions and similar posts! Keeps the place interesting!

Maybe, I'm being sensitive, but then on the other hand, please remember whose, ' diner table' you are sitting at and who pays the bills. Please be mindful and respectful in your discussion. Thank You

Well, I have actually been a member of these forums since the "stangsunleashed" days - I was none too pleased when SAI waltzed in a bought an independant website for their own purposes. It may now be their dinner table, but its still on public land! Still, no criticism of either vehicle is intended - if I could, I really would buy both! But that is out of the question. I'm pretty confident that the KR can stand up to some friendly comparison...

Anyway, some great responses, thanks. Just so you know, I pretty much ignored any responce that mentioned "rice", or that shouted (i.e. used all caps) in their response...

Nomis, thanks for your comments. I haven't driven a Skyline, and I have heard simialr things said anout the GT-R. That is definately a point against it. But the problem, of course, is that it is pretty tough to get a decent test-drive of these cars. I am in the position of getting to see the KR before I make my final decision, but I doubt that I will get to test-drive it even then. So, my decision has to be based on reading every single driving review I can get my hands on. Every review I have read on the KR says that it is miles ahead of the regular GT500, so even a test-drive in one of those may not help. I did test drive a Roush R428, and even though it is a pretty different beast, I've got to say that I enjoyed it immensely.

YZD263 - I think you are right in general, but if it was just "less refinement, more character" I was after, I would probably go for the GT500. The extra $35k for the KR pushes it into another level of comparisons...

Rarecat - I wish it were that simple. The problem is that all of my judgements are based on second and third hand knowledge, and I'm going to have to make my decision based on that. I thought it was clear-cut myself - but now I am having doubts.

Anyway, thanks again all. The purchase of a car of this magnitude is a huge decision for most people, myself included. I just want to make sure I make the right decision... I would really love to find an article somewhere that pits these two cars head-to-head against each other...

[quote name='ctann' date='Jul 24 2008, 02:49 PM' post='485522':

If Ford acutally did trademark the GT-R name, I hope they sue their a$$ off for trademark infringements. :jackinbox:

Well, I have actually been a member of these forums since the "stangsunleashed" days - I was none too pleased when SAI waltzed in a bought an independant website for their own purposes. It may now be their dinner table, but its still on public land! Still, no criticism of either vehicle is intended - if I could, I really would buy both! But that is out of the question. I'm pretty confident that the KR can stand up to some friendly comparison...

Anyway, some great responses, thanks. Just so you know, I pretty much ignored any responce that mentioned "rice", or that tshouted (i.e. used all caps) in their response...

Nomis, thanks for your comments. I haven't driven a Skyline, and I have heard simialr things said anout the GT-R. That is definately a point against it. But the problem, of course, is that it is pretty tough to get a decent test-drive of these cars. I am in the position of getting to see the KR before I make my final decision, but I doubt that I will get to test-drive it even then. So, my decision has to be based on reading every single driving review I can get my hands on. Every review I have read on the KR says that it is miles ahead of the regular GT500, so even a test-drive in one of those may not help. I did test drive a Roush R428, and even though it is a pretty different beast, I've got to say that I enjoyed it immensely.

YZD263 - I think you are right in general, but if it was just "less refinement, more character" I was after, I would probably go for the GT500. The extra $35k for the KR pushes it into another level of comparisons...

Rarecat - I wish it were that simple. The problem is that all of my judgements are based on second and third hand knowledge, and I'm going to have to make my decision based on that. I thought it was clear-cut myself - but now I am having doubts.

Anyway, thanks again all. The purchase of a car of this magnitude is a huge decision for most people, myself included. I just want to make sure I make the right decision... I would really love to find an article somewhere that pits these two cars head-to-head against each other...

Well, in response to your some what rude, sarcastic comments, (not all caps look again), If you

think you can say anything on this forum or any other, think, again. If you have the funds then step

up, if not then be respectful of those that provide the venue for you to express your opinions.

Your Tax dollars do not fund this site, Carroll Shelby and Shelby Automobiles does.

We are all here because of Carroll Shelby and Shelby Automobiles and Collectibles and that is a

fact. No amount of comment will alter that. This sight is populated by Shelby enthuists, Shelby Colectors,

basically all things Shelby. Although, Mustang is the principle car that Shelby has , 'Shelby-ized,

along with AC Cobra, Dodge, Series 1, but they are all Shelby. If you are seeking information about

another brand, or wish to compare and contrast, other Brands, perhaps you could surf the internet and

find the information you need. I will you the same font' that I used before, which is not all caps'.

Any Ride in a Shelby is a Great Ride. :shift:

Well, in response to your some what rude, sarcastic

comments, (not all caps look again), If you think you can say anything on this forum or

any other, think, again. If you have the funds then step up, if not then be respectful of

those that provid the venue for you to express your opinions. We are all here because

of Carroll Shelby and that is a fact. No amount of comment will alter that. If you are

seeking information about another brand, perhaps you could surf the internet and find

the information you need. I will use the same font' that I used before. Any Ride in a Shelby is a Great Ride. :shift:

Narrow minded are we ?? :talkhand:

Well, in response to your some what rude, sarcastic comments, (not all caps look again), If you

think you can say anything on this forum or any other, think, again. If you have the funds then step

up, if not then be respectful of those that provide the venue for you to express your opinions.

Your Tax dollars do not fund this site, Carroll Shelby and Shelby Automobiles does.

We are all here because of Carroll Shelby and Shelby Automobiles and Collectibles and that is a

fact. No amount of comment will alter that. This sight is populated by Shelby enthuists, Shelby Colectors,

basically all things Shelby. Although, Mustang is the principle car that Shelby has , 'Shelby-ized,

along with AC Cobra, Dodge, Series 1, but they are all Shelby. If you are seeking information about

another brand, or wish to compare and contrast, other Brands, perhaps you could surf the internet and

find the information you need. I will you the same font' that I used before, which is not all caps'.

Any Ride in a Shelby is a Great Ride. :shift:

...........Like I said..................

Well, in response to your some what rude, sarcastic comments, (not all caps look again),

OK, I'm not going to hi-jack my own topic to answer this post - if you want to discuss this [edit: that is, turnsignaldeletes' post] more, stroll on over to this post.

Chris.

Narrow minded. Well, if you mean about my choice to drive and collect Shelby's, then YES.

Also, I'm aware of and Respectful of whose Table I'm Dining at.

LOL, I own a GT500, in line to buy a KR, and own 3 other rare Ford mustangs so I am very biased to the Shelby product. The GT-R is still a great performing car. I am not a big fan of its looks as I think personally it is hidious. I do prefer some character in a car and its heritage.

You however, do not know the meaning of forum. It is a place to share opinions good or bad. Why do you think they use this forum at SAI. It is a great tool to see how their work and products affect others and what the feedback is POSITIVE or NEGATIVE. Comparison of products is normal. This thread started off as a polite and tasteful discussion and you have turned it into a negative rant.

People like you ruin this forum with your bs rants. Carrol Shelby himself is a great car enthusiast which goes well beyond just his own line of vehicles. GROW UP. It is always the same handful of members on here that cause so much controversy and their opinions are usually uneducated and comical, embarassing might be a good word. The only person who should speak on behalf of Carroll or SAI are Carrol and SAI themselves.

This forum is an OPEN TABLE, if you don't like it, GET YOUR OWN TABLE. Members here have all shown they are Shelby enthusiasts first by registering on here. We live in a world where freedom of opinion is still allowed.

To the other members, great topic! There are some very valid comparisons from price to performance. Some very well EDUCATED opinions. I have a highly modified GT500 well above KR specs and have driven a GT-R several times. I love the heritage of Shelby and the sound and power that vintage and/or modern muscle offers. To each their own. Always sample before buying though. Well worth the patience to make sure you invest in something worth your while. The GT-R was fun to drive, but the Shelby just hits a chord in peoples hearts that has no price tag! The KR however, is very overpriced and not worth that money. Upgrade it all you want, stomaching the thought of paying that much for a mustang doen not fit the whole theme of the mustang's heritage. An everyday person's sports car! Even Shelbys back in the day were still very reasonably priced.

Thanks for listening

Dave

LOL, I own a GT500, in line to buy a KR, and own 3 other rare Ford mustangs so I am very biased to the Shelby product. The GT-R is still a great performing car. I am not a big fan of its looks as I think personally it is hidious. I do prefer some character in a car and its heritage.

You however, do not know the meaning of forum. It is a place to share opinions good or bad. Why do you think they use this forum at SAI. It is a great tool to see how their work and products affect others and what the feedback is POSITIVE or NEGATIVE. Comparison of products is normal. This thread started off as a polite and tasteful discussion and you have turned it into a negative rant.

People like you ruin this forum with your bs rants. Carrol Shelby himself is a great car enthusiast which goes well beyond just his own line of vehicles. GROW UP. It is always the same handful of members on here that cause so much controversy and their opinions are usually uneducated and comical, embarassing might be a good word. The only person who should speak on behalf of Carroll or SAI are Carrol and SAI themselves.

This forum is an OPEN TABLE, if you don't like it, GET YOUR OWN TABLE. Members here have all shown they are Shelby enthusiasts first by registering on here. We live in a world where freedom of opinion is still allowed.

To the other members, great topic! There are some very valid comparisons from price to performance. Some very well EDUCATED opinions. I have a highly modified GT500 well above KR specs and have driven a GT-R several times. I love the heritage of Shelby and the sound and power that vintage and/or modern muscle offers. To each their own. Always sample before buying though. Well worth the patience to make sure you invest in something worth your while. The GT-R was fun to drive, but the Shelby just hits a chord in peoples hearts that has no price tag! The KR however, is very overpriced and not worth that money. Upgrade it all you want, stomaching the thought of paying that much for a mustang doen not fit the whole theme of the mustang's heritage. An everyday person's sports car! Even Shelbys back in the day were still very reasonably priced.

Thanks for listening

Dave

+1 on what a forum should be . I guess most around here are first and forefost car enthusiasts. I haven't had the opportunity to drive the GT-R but I'm not a big fan of the styling. When you purchase a car that is essentially a toy, you need to like the way it looks. Boring looks are acceptable for a daily driver, but not for a car like the GT-R. That being said, styling is subjective and I'm sure many would disagree with me, especially imports fans.

One thing puzzled me with your post though. Why would you be "in line to buy a KR" if it's "way overpriced and not worth that money" :headscratch:

+1 on what a forum should be . I guess most around here are first and forefost car enthusiasts. I haven't had the opportunity to drive the GT-R but I'm not a big fan of the styling. When you purchase a car that is essentially a toy, you need to like the way it looks. Boring looks are acceptable for a daily driver, but not for a car like the GT-R. That being said, styling is subjective and I'm sure many would disagree with me, especially imports fans.

One thing puzzled me with your post though. Why would you be "in line to buy a KR" if it's "way overpriced and not worth that money" :headscratch:

Reluctantly, I started to collect special addition SVT vehicles and this would be exactly that. I have not confirmed purchase. I have the right of refusal for the first one allocated to my local dealer. It will be a 2009 model so i have lots of time to consider it and my deposit refundable if i choose to not purchase the car. The premium will also be a factor. I am situated in a good spot where I have lots of time to continue to take in the reviews of the car. I love the SVT line, a bit bitter about the KR's pricing but I can't blame Ford for that, nor the dealer. Exlusive car will bring exclusive dollars. Since I have a spot, I have given myself lots of time and lots of research to think it through before I have to confrim a purchase. I hate waiting for cars I collect, but this is one that patience and its delays have been a blessing for me.

Also being a huge mustang fan, even though I disagree with the price and I feel its value does not warrant that price tag, doesn't mean I still don't want it! LOL. Love the car, just not the price. It has been an ongoing battle to purchase it with my head, heart, and accountant! lol

Also being a huge mustang fan, even though I disagree with the price and I feel its value does not warrant that price tag, doesn't mean I still don't want it! LOL. Love the car, just not the price. It has been an ongoing battle to purchase it with my head, heart, and accountant! lol

Yup, I'm in pretty much the same boat. At least I decided against the GT-R (for now, anyway). We'll see what happens when my KR finally hits the ground... The decision would have been so much easier if Ford had listened to me and produced the KR in yellow - then I would buy the car without hesitation. Probably sounds like a shallow reason for a decision on a car, but there you go! :->

Speaking of 2009's - I didn't hear much about the allocations (aside from a number allocated to Canada). Have the US allocations been made already?

Chris.

Yup, I'm in pretty much the same boat. At least I decided against the GT-R (for now, anyway). We'll see what happens when my KR finally hits the ground... The decision would have been so much easier if Ford had listened to me and produced the KR in yellow - then I would by the car without hesitation. Probably sounds like a shallow reason for a decision on a car, but there you go! :->

Speaking of 2009's - I didn't hear much about the allocations (aside from a number allocated to Canada). Have the US allocations been made already?

Chris.

I think the original point of this post was the wait time, correct.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the GT-R as had to get if not harder to get than a KR?

According to the video I saw they are also limited to 112 mph. It some sort of electronic satellite thing that turns off the speed governor when it detects the car on a track which I though was total BS on the part of Nissan to do.

I was going to post the vid link but the last time I went to it they had removed it due to copyright infringement.

I think the original point of this post was the wait time, correct.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the GT-R as had to get if not harder to get than a KR?

Yup - think "Original GT500 release"... except the whole car market (and other markets) are quite different now...

Its not exactly the waiting for the KR that is getting to me - as I have said before, I have been waiting ever since the first GT500 rumours surfaced something like 3 years ago, and I am really *trying* to be patient now. Its the fact that the expected delivery date has come and gone, and we still have no idea of when they will be delivered...

According to the video I saw they are also limited to 112 mph. It some sort of electronic satellite thing that turns off the speed governor when it detects the car on a track which I though was total BS on the part of Nissan to do.

I think that is just in Japan - and the limiting is probably mandated under Japanese law or some such. AFAIK, the limit is switched off for US cars.

As an aside, I bought a new Mini for my wife the other day, and the onboard computer has a programmable "speed limit" as well. This one just sounds an alarm when you go over the programmed limit, but it was the default value set for the limit that made me laugh - 160mph! Heheh, don't think we'll be hearing that ringing too often! :->

Yup, I'm in pretty much the same boat. At least I decided against the GT-R (for now, anyway). We'll see what happens when my KR finally hits the ground... The decision would have been so much easier if Ford had listened to me and produced the KR in yellow - then I would buy the car without hesitation. Probably sounds like a shallow reason for a decision on a car, but there you go! :->

Chris.

Chrsi,

You are correct, I live in Canada so we only get the 2009 model. I don't know the exact numbers but something like 180 to Canada, 150 or so to outside North America, the rest to the U.S. I have read that numerous times regarding the 2009 model. My numbers are a bit off from exact as I am going off memory. I'm sure there is a posting in the KR forum with exact numbers.

I was going to post the vid link but the last time I went to it they had removed it due to copyright infringement.

Just spoke with our dealer services guy that deals with most of the Nissan dealers here in the US - the cars are on dealer lots - so they can be had I understand :)

The 112 MPH limit is in Japan only - not here in the U.S.

The difference in whats american for me is not what portion of the car or its parts are made in the US, its about who owns the company selling the car and where the profits from that sale go. If it is a US company I believe it helps the country and the economy, if not, this could explain why other countries are buying up american real estate at staggering rate. I prefer to buy products that are domestically owned and manufactured if possible, it honestly drives my decision making process. Im sure everyone sees this different, this is just one mans approach...

FP

Archived