TEAM SHELBY FORUM

And the next S.E.???

JETSOLVER

Well well. Ford/Mark Fields/Bullitt anouncement "We added additional Mustang derivatives to our near-term product plans – to ensure we have at least one new Mustang every year. One of those will be the return of the Bullitt, and it’s coming in 2008. " Not the BOSS some of us were hopeing would indicate a comitment to performance.

Well well. Ford/Mark Fields/Bullitt anouncement "We added additional Mustang derivatives to our near-term product plans – to ensure we have at least one new Mustang every year. One of those will be the return of the Bullitt, and it’s coming in 2008. " Not the BOSS some of us were hopeing would indicate a comitment to performance.

Yep, another C/S edition with different clothing coming right up.

2008 will be an exciting year for Mustang fans. :woohoo: I bet they add a little more performance to the Bullitt. What ever they do, it will be a unique Stang. I look forward to seeing what comes of this.

Guest evilchris

I look for 375-400 HP. Probably closer to 400. I wouldn't rule out 425 HP. Has anyone read the article about the new niche engine coming. The article is on this site and it is a 4.6 liter. Look at the pic. That's a supercharger on that thing.

That's just an old pic of the terminator engine.

I look for 375-400 HP. Probably closer to 400. I wouldn't rule out 425 HP. Has anyone read the article about the new niche engine coming. The article is on this site and it is a 4.6 liter. Look at the pic. That's a supercharger on that thing.

Yeah, but....why couldn't that be for a GT-350, if they decide to do one?

I seriously doubt the Bullitt would pack that kind of heat, would put too much pressure on the GT500 which we've all heard HTT say is the pinacle of HP output for the Mustang. Additionally, producing a Bullitt with over 400 hp would leave little room for future S/E Mustang offerings.

In that article he seems to be talking all dates in calendar years (not MYs) so an CY'08 Bullitt would be a MY'09. That still leaves CY'07 open, so it may not preclude a Boss next year.

I noticed two things I like: they could have kept the '08 NA profitibility promise if they backed off on investment in accelerating the out years, but, instead, decided to push full-year profitability out to '09 and NOT impact overall investment in new vehicle plan acceleration. That's a powerful statement!

Second, (and I quote [red color is my emphasis]):

"F-150 which goes on sale in 2008. As a sign of just how serious we are about truck leadership, we literally stopped development for two months earlier this year, and we took a look at every element of the product to ensure we remain America’s unquestioned truck leader. The results are substantial, including a full redesign of the product from front to back, more innovative customer features and technologies, and an even stronger powertrain lineup. That, by the way, includes adding higher performance gas and clean diesel options for the F-150 beyond 2008".

What gas engine could deliver more power in an F-150? A big block? If so, the schedule that could support a big-block 'stang for the '09 refresh could still be intact. ...just a thought.

If they want to have a healthy line-up, they need to make sure each SE offers unique performance and style features that don't canibalize market share of the others. With the standard GT at 300hp as the anchor and the GT500 w/500hp as the top dog, throw in a Shelby at 330hp with decent handling, and Ford has its work cut out. I think the line-up could look something like this:

1. Mustang GT

2. Bullit at 330 hp, unique looks, but little to no handling upgrades

3. ShelbyGT at 330hp and good handling

4. Mach 1 at around 330-350hp, shaker hood, etc, some mild handling upgrades

5. Boss: 5.4L 425hp (NA)

6. GT500 possibly replaced at some point with a GT500KR or equivalent.

...if I were in charge...

We have not received any word on actual H.P. ratings for the Bullitt, but the engine does have a top end that is different than a Mustang GTs. The 2008 Bullitt's intake, heads and valve (coil) covers are different.

Based on Robert's comment it would seem Ford is taking a similar direction with the '08 Bullitt that was utilized in '01 - a unique top end for the Bullitt. Except this time there seems to be an expansion beyond just and intake which is what was done in '01. Great news and I would anticipate such a change would yield 25 - 30 HP beyond the 300 hp GT engine. Thanks Robert for providing more details!!

Guest evilchris

We have not received any word on actual H.P. ratings for the Bullitt, but the engine does have a top end that is different than a Mustang GTs. The 2008 Bullitt's intake, heads and valve (coil) covers are different.

That'd be nice. Would also provide an engine upgrade package for existing GT's.

They could also just be planning to use the Cobra 4V heads, kinda half-way betw the GT's 3v and GT500's Ford GT heads. On an NA 5.4 using the '01 Cobra cams that should yield about 350HP. With CAI and exhaust 380HP -- fits in nicely, yes? And zero invention required -- tho a new intake would be nice and possibly reuseable on a BOSS. Hopefully using the hi-pressure abrasive flow-polishing process first used on the '01 Cobras (I believe).

Just thinking out loud...

Archived