TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Bullitt

martax

It's official - per Mark Fields on todays webcast. The 2008 Bullitt! One new Mustang model per year. This has to kill these ADM's because now the tables will be turned on the dealers. Sure all models will be limited production but how many Mustangs can they sell in the 35-45K range and when the dealer floats big numbers you just state your are waiting for the Shelby-GT,KR, Boss, etc. Each year they will be dealing with fewer potential buyers(deep pockets aside). They will do just fine selling at MSRP - believe me.

It's official - per Mark Fields on todays webcast. The 2008 Bullitt! One new Mustang model per year. This has to kill these ADM's because now the tables will be turned on the dealers. Sure all models will be limited production but how many Mustangs can they sell in the 35-45K range and when the dealer floats big numbers you just state your are waiting for the Shelby-GT,KR, Boss, etc. Each year they will be dealing with fewer potential buyers(deep pockets aside). They will do just fine selling at MSRP - believe me.

I read the article and saw they would do one new Mustang a year, but could not find any mention of which performance model is next. any additional info out there?

I read the article and saw they would do one new Mustang a year, but could not find any mention of which performance model is next. any additional info out there?

It was live on the webcast- Fields announced it and they showed a Bullitt logo. All verbal to this point but based on who said it I'm 100% sure. Go to Ford website they will be replaying the webcast several times today. Total webcast lasts about 20 minutes.

I have seen a couple Bullit Stangs on used car lots, what is supposed to be the big deal with them? Not trying to sound funny, just don't know?

My thoughts:

They'll use the new 32v 4.6L V8 you can read about on Stangsunleashed.com home page. I would guess the engine will perform somewhere between the current 4.6L in the GT/GTH/CS 325HP engine and the 5.4L 500HP ShelbyGT engine. I'd guess around 400HP or so.

But, It will be a lighter engine and a lighter car so the overall performance will come close to the Shelby GT500 if not beat it stock car to stock car.

However, I think the long-term benefit of the GT500 is that it's a much better platform to modify it up to 600HP or beyond. Something you would be able to do with any 4.6L Boss/Bullit/Mach 1. That will make the GT500 still "The Car".

I would also suspect that the Bullit won't have all of the other 100+ little differences that makes the GT500 a great car....such as stonger frame, more welds, etc..that's already been idendified on this board.

No doubt the Bullit will be an awesome car....but in the end the GT500 will always be "The Car" to have.

Just my thoughts....

No doubt the Bullit will be an awesome car....but in the end the GT500 will always be "The Car" to have.

I agree. The Bullitt will fill a void between the GT and the GT500, but it won't challenge the GT500. We still believe that the Bullitt, however, will be the precursor to the GT350.

I agree. The Bullitt will fill a void between the GT and the GT500, but it won't challenge the GT500. We still believe that the Bullitt, however, will be the precursor to the GT350.

If they are coming out with one new car a year, starting next year I guess that means something like this:

08 - Bullitt

09 - Boss

10 - Mach 1

11 - GT350

12 - ????

What do you think?

If it has 500hp or 440 normally-aspirated HP, I'd almost prefer it. For me Bullit carries almost as much emotional weight as Shelby. Love the green, the wheels, and the whole Bullit thing!

Which is why I have one of each ;)

I have seen a couple Bullit Stangs on used car lots, what is supposed to be the big deal with them? Not trying to sound funny, just don't know?

I was wondering more on the differences between the last Bullit and the current Mustang at that time. All I saw was a sticker on the back and a different shift knob. Engine? Suspension?

Lowered, suspension upgraded, Cobra brakes, upgraded Tranny (01), aluminum unique intake, guages had 68 style lettering, Interior was stitched like a 68, smaller pullies, spoiler delete, Torque thrust style wheels... oh and the Bullitt badge on the trunk

Guest evilchris

I would also suspect that the Bullit won't have all of the other 100+ little differences that makes the GT500 a great car....such as stonger frame, more welds, etc..that's already been idendified on this board.

The GT500 doesn't have a stronger frame, more welds, etc then any other 2007 Mustang. 2007 Mustangs all got it, to support the GT500. Ford makes 1 Mustang frame. When Ford builds them, they don't know what car will get it, from base V6 to GT500. It's cheaper to do them all the same than to make 3 different versions and earmark them all for specific models.

The GT500 doesn't have a stronger frame, more welds, etc then any other 2007 Mustang. 2007 Mustangs all got it, to support the GT500. Ford makes 1 Mustang frame. When Ford builds them, they don't know what car will get it, from base V6 to GT500. It's cheaper to do them all the same than to make 3 different versions and earmark them all for specific models.

You are correct ec all of the unibody and panels are all manufactured the same on all models.

Oh, forgot about the exhaust too.

Here's what CertifiedShelbyTech posted:

There are hundreds of little differences between the Shelby GT500 and standard Fair Mustang GT. Its really incredible as to how much different the 06 GT to 07 Shelby Is.

The Shelby GT500 has different spindles, brakes, upper and lower control arms, different sheet metal, sway bars, springs, of course the engine and trans, driveshaft assy, rear axle bearings, ring gear mounting, the a/c system is different, extra support braces in chassis and on and on.

So one of you don't know what you're talking about...

Here's what CertifiedShelbyTech posted:

There are hundreds of little differences between the Shelby GT500 and standard Fair Mustang GT. Its really incredible as to how much different the 06 GT to 07 Shelby Is.

The Shelby GT500 has different spindles, brakes, upper and lower control arms, different sheet metal, sway bars, springs, of course the engine and trans, driveshaft assy, rear axle bearings, ring gear mounting, the a/c system is different, extra support braces in chassis and on and on.

So one of you don't know what you're talking about...

I was referring to an earlier question on the differences between an 01 Bullitt and an 01 GT. Nothing to do with the Shelby

Guest evilchris

Nowhere has it ever been said the chassis is different than a standard fare TWO THOUSAND SEVEN. A k member brace isn't a chassis difference, it's a k member brace.

Have you ever seen the movie Bullit with Steve McQueen, circa 1968? (approximately, I have CRS). That, my friend, is what the big deal is. If you haven't seen it, I was truly the best car chase in a movie. Steve McQueen did all of his driving.

If you haven't, ya gotta get the DVD or stay up and watch late night movies. No computer fakery either. :shift:

Umm...Steve did not do all the driving...

But he was a real racing nut.

Also watch him in The Great Escape - where he rides a bike!

Guess I better go do my research......... :runaway: ......so Steve did an underdeterminded portion....for the time being...........of the driving. :spiteful:

The movie is why we have the Bullit :cheerleader:

Geez.

No Bullit car in the '60s.

A cult following of the movie prompted Ford to do a special editon Mustang.

If you watch the movie - turn up the sound and you'll understand.

The chase scene was a trend setter - much like French Connection (Gene Hackman) - and then to the extreme version - the Blues Brothers - where they wrecked 300 cars! :hysterical:

Okay then, thanks...25 hours to get a real answer. :doh:

"Bullitt is most-remembered for its central car chase scene through the streets of downtown San Francisco, one of the earliest and most influential car chase sequences in movies. The scene had Bullitt in a dark "Highland Green" 1968 Ford Mustang GT-390, chasing two hit-men in a "Tuxedo Black" 1968 Dodge Charger R/T. (In honor of the Mustang in the film, the Ford Motor Company produced a limited edition 2001 Ford Mustang GT "Bullitt Mustang," which took styling cues from the '68 movie car -- even mimicking the exhaust note)."

I used to have an article from Autoweek that had all the facts. I think they used up three maybe two Mustangs; seems like one was hopped up with a 427 or something, does anyone know? I'll look for the article.

"Bullitt is most-remembered for its central car chase scene through the streets of downtown San Francisco, one of the earliest and most influential car chase sequences in movies. The scene had Bullitt in a dark "Highland Green" 1968 Ford Mustang GT-390, chasing two hit-men in a "Tuxedo Black" 1968 Dodge Charger R/T. (In honor of the Mustang in the film, the Ford Motor Company produced a limited edition 2001 Ford Mustang GT "Bullitt Mustang," which took styling cues from the '68 movie car -- even mimicking the exhaust note)."

"Two 1968 Mustangs and two 1968 Dodge Chargers were used for the chase scene. Both Mustangs were owned by Ford Motor Company and were part of a promotional loan agreement with Warner Bros. The Mustangs engines, brakes and suspensions were highly modified for the chase by veteran car racer Max Balchowsky. The Dodge Chargers were bought outright from Glendale Dodge in Glendale, California, and were left unmodified.

Though it is widely believed that Steve McQueen, who was a great race car driver, did the bulk of the driving stunt work, the stunt coordinator, Carey Loftin, had famed stuntman and motorcycle racer Bud Ekins do most of the risky stunts in the Mustang (Ekins also doubled for McQueen in one sequence of The Great Escape, in which McQueen's character jumps over a barbed wire fence on a motorcycle).

The Mustang's interior rearview mirror goes up and down depending on who is driving. When the mirror is up, visible, McQueen is behind the wheel, and when it is down, not visible, Ekin is in the car.

The director called for speeds of about 75 to 80 mph (120 to 130 km/h), but the cars (including the ones containing the cameras) reached speeds of over 110 mph (175 km/h) on surface streets.

Filming of the chase scene took three weeks, resulting in 9 minutes and 42 seconds of film.

During the chase scene, Lt. Frank Bullitt upshifts 16 times without downshifting. A manual transmission in a 1968 Ford Mustang only has four forward gears.

During the chase scene, the Charger loses six hubcaps and has different ones missing at different times."

Easy, bro. I wasn't trying to be a :censored: about it!

I thought he did all the driving too, until I read something that said the film company hired a stunt driver for the more dangerous scenes.

Steve was a real road racer and a great guy.

I was just having a little fun with you, not quite like Shelby but :cheerleader:

I guess you would say it was the standard hi-performance Mustang. The 390 was a good motor but not as hot as a 427 or 428CJ like that found in Bone Doc's 69. My first real car (I had 1960 VW bug for three months--hey I had to start somewhere) was a 66 Fairlane GT--it had the 390.

CC

I guess you would say it was the standard hi-performance Mustang. The 390 was a good motor but not as hot as a 427 or 428CJ like that found in Bone Doc's 69. My first real car (I had 1960 VW bug for three months--hey I had to start somewhere) was a 66 Fairlane GT--it had the 390.

(It wasn't a Shelby)

CC

CC

My 1st car was a 1961 Falcon Wagon with a 170 and 3-on-the-tree (talk about slowwww....).

Got it when I was 15, 'cause my parents knew it would take me a year to get it running. Well, they thought so anyway.Then my little 'chero came along later (still have it, for now anyway).

As far as the 390, it wasn't a bad motor at all. They were great for the Mustangs back then. If I recall, the GT 'stangs with 390's usually had Monte Carlo bars too.

Anyway, I had a 352 in an old '64 or '65 Custom 500 at one time, that was the dog of the FE series. At least they fixed the oiling troubles by the time they started making the 390's, the 352's had low pressure issues. Ford also made a 360 that went mostly in 1/2-ton trucks if I remember right.

Anyway, these were all FE's: 352, 360, 390, 427 & 428. Lots of parts interchangeable. You wouldn't know which you were looking at without checking casting numbers.

The 429 and 460 were "385" series, totally different, kind of like a "Cleveland" on steroids. Although, I think the Cleveland's may have actually been more of a baby brother to the 385's, as I THINK they came afterward if I recall correctly, not positive though. Had a 429 in an old LTD, what a great engine back in the day.

OK, I've rambled long enough...

Mike.

Archived